The "growing, vital urban core"

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

Binghamton Mayor Matthew T. Ryan touted the wireless network as a great addition to a "growing, vital urban core."

Have the delusions consumed his mind???

Where is this vitality?? Please anybody show us a sign....

974843068f382260babd0a9a1b9ada864fd64704f911c4393680342f002eb54b28efabfa.jpg

313788815ade6e965a9e7e81c9b67b034936a6bfc3594bb718e819654f29bd504a65ada7.jpg

733343958a33c2ea1e67efd0b34133ade04986c34faee3d6d4043e6f20d08d4d8df7ed24.jpg

264498420aece6b29fd0d07f87ac40faa9b296e3e574d0233fd8741d35c53ee5d64a7c20.jpg

005893710528a22bf5a57ec7f6342243e891880d793cb3460825b23337491adee8c6f98f.jpg

54105630cd157ded656d116ec32e629781a58a1b53aebf63cf8f4a41d35005d718385c23.jpg

11527404d966acf4a450c2eb73fb81139ac34a0023e79eb5fe14460f94e821e08cd86c4f.jpg

MATT, OPEN YOUR EYES...., PLEASE!!!!

9362034029ad338eb2010f9aa0388240d257c8bd406dd11a86e56c05a984a17ae5a2848c.jpg

Guest Guest

So the wif project is going to cost at least $86,000.

It probably won't last two years.

People of the North Side, do you think $86,000 might have gone a long way to finding you a grocery store?

Will you be using the Binghamton wifi network of "equality and justice"? Do you ever get it over there?

Remember Matt Ryan, Lea Webb and Mary Clark will set you free.

Hallelujah!!!!!

Guest Guest

There isn't a single socio-economic indicator that supports Ryan's statement.

There is nothing "growing" or "vital" in Binghamton's "urban core"....except for poverty, and crime....which I guess can be considered "vital" if your city depends on government grants to operate.

Guest Guest

Exactly.

Did the fine people looking for their grocery store vote for wifi?

Do you think they will be buying $200 repeaters to use their wireless laptops inside ?

Guest Guest

There is nothing "growing" or "vital" in Binghamton's "urban core"....except for poverty, and crime....which I guess can be considered "vital" if your city depends on government grants to operate.

Here is an economic indicator:

026192268c19a74c63b423467cf07fd92e55a4931eb387d46f13766b7bf745f48ffbb29a.jpg

This Court Street store front has been vacate for at least three years. That little faded paper sign in the window is from Merry Harris' City Office of Economic Development.

Would you like another sign? In the MetroCenter on the first floor men's restrooms is says, "These are not public restrooms go to Boscov's" (I'm not kidding. Go look.)

Binghamton Mayor Matthew T. Ryan touted the wireless network as a great addition to a "growing, vital urban core."

Have the delusions consumed his mind???

Where is this vitality?? Please anybody show us a sign....

974843068f382260babd0a9a1b9ada864fd64704

313788815ade6e965a9e7e81c9b67b034936a6bf

733343958a33c2ea1e67efd0b34133ade04986c3

264498420aece6b29fd0d07f87ac40faa9b296e3

005893710528a22bf5a57ec7f6342243e891880d

54105630cd157ded656d116ec32e629781a58a1b

11527404d966acf4a450c2eb73fb81139ac34a00

MATT, OPEN YOUR EYES...., PLEASE!!!!

9362034029ad338eb2010f9aa0388240d257c8bd

The poster does have a point.............Any comment Mr. Ryan? I see you trolling here this morning!

Guest Guest

Let's wait for Soroity Queen A&W Block to get back to us, as Mayor Marblemouth prefers others to speak for him since he has great difficulty being coherent.

Guest Guest

It is a godawful place and no internet will help it. Does suggest that local merchants can not even afford the $28/month to pay wireless for their businesses. Truth is that if a few merchants had a bucket to piss in they could afford the wireless and then the adjacent spaces would also be wireless -if merchants intended the wireless for their customers. The place is a giant grim toilet and anyone with a cent and sense gets out of there. Thankfully we did.

Guest Guest
It is a godawful place and no internet will help it. Does suggest that local merchants can not even afford the $28/month to pay wireless for their businesses. Truth is that if a few merchants had a bucket to piss in they could afford the wireless and then the adjacent spaces would also be wireless -if merchants intended the wireless for their customers. The place is a giant grim toilet and anyone with a cent and sense gets out of there. Thankfully we did.

The kicker is most of these businesses do have wired Internet access. To get the City's new and sporadic and weak service they will have to shell out $200 for a repeater and $10/month when all they had to do was by a wireless router for $100 and they could have given their clients access to the Net on their own!

Guest Guest

Well, actually, more people live in downtown than when he took over - more people work in downtown than when he took over and more businesses operate downtown than when he took over. Now whether that means there is a "vitality" there can be debated, but the facts can not .

Guest Guest
Well, actually, more people live in downtown than when he took over - more people work in downtown than when he took over and more businesses operate downtown than when he took over. Now whether that means there is a "vitality" there can be debated, but the facts can not .

Stop repeating this nonsense.

Every time you do, I challenge you to backup your claims, and you never have.

Half the stores are empty still, just as they were when "he took over." One business opens, one closes.

Where's the "vital urban core"?

You obviously never lived here when there was a significant amount of commerce downtown. Downtown is literally a ghost town compared to what it was.

There has been absolutely NO significant improvement since "he took over."

Didn't the latest crime figures show that crime has increased in the city, while it decreased countywide?

Where's the "vitality" in increased crime?

Guest Guest
Stop repeating this nonsense.

Every time you do, I challenge you to backup your claims, and you never have.

Half the stores are empty still, just as they were when "he took over." One business opens, one closes.

Where's the "vital urban core"?

You obviously never lived here when there was a significant amount of commerce downtown. Downtown is literally a ghost town compared to what it was.

There has been absolutely NO significant improvement since "he took over."

Didn't the latest crime figures show that crime has increased in the city, while it decreased countywide?

Where's the "vitality" in increased crime?

the facts disagree with your opinions

Guest Guest

Really...according to who?

Certainly not the US Census Bureau.

When you can substantiate your wild claim that more people live downtown and more people work downtown with some verifiable data...we'll talk.....until then..you're spewing unadulterated BS.

Guest Guest
Really...according to who?

Certainly not the US Census Bureau.

When you can substantiate your wild claim that more people live downtown and more people work downtown with some verifiable data...we'll talk.....until then..you're spewing unadulterated BS.

I was not aware the US Census Bereau did their census every year. of course they dont, but why let facts get in the way of your opinions. The censu bureau does a census every ten years. they have not done one while ryan has been in office.

Now my claims are based in realities and have been substantiated on here by me and others on numerous ocassions. they have also been substantiated in every single media outlet in this area. You seem to always let youor perceptions interfere with facts and realities. Not a good way to come to conclusions.

Guest Guest
I was not aware the US Census Bereau did their census every year. of course they dont, but why let facts get in the way of your opinions. The censu bureau does a census every ten years. they have not done one while ryan has been in office.

Now my claims are based in realities and have been substantiated on here by me and others on numerous ocassions. they have also been substantiated in every single media outlet in this area. You seem to always let youor perceptions interfere with facts and realities. Not a good way to come to conclusions.

Your "facts"???

When did you post facts about more people living in the downtown section of Binghamton?? Or facts about how many businesses there are now compared to last year?

You continue to argue without posting a single fact to support your "opinions".

You made a claim without backing it up. I've challenged you. Post your facts.

Then I'll post my facts about the increase in crime in the city.

Guest Guest

Mr. "There's more people Downtown Now and Here's the Facts",

Please take a trip downtown. Take a photo of any street in the downtown area looking "vital". Post it here.

I'd love to see what you come up with.

State St. at midnight on a weekend the students are in town doesn't count.

Please take a trip downtown. Take a photo of any street in the downtown area looking "vital". Post it here.

Does tonight, the First Friday Art Walk count? There will be many people downtown. Check it out. It will do you some good and make you feel better about the lack of vitality you see.

Ed, you should update your photos. Some of those places look a lot better now.

While you're out taking pictures, can you photograph the Kradjian's properties that are falling apart in the downtown? Why don't you ever post photos of their properties on here? A lot of them are in terrible shape and are a huge eyesore for Binghamton. You complain about everyone else and don't take care of something right in front of you. You work for the Kradjians for cryn' out loud!!! Focus on what they need to improve for a while will ya?

Guest Guest
Your "facts"???

When did you post facts about more people living in the downtown section of Binghamton?? Or facts about how many businesses there are now compared to last year?

You continue to argue without posting a single fact to support your "opinions".

You made a claim without backing it up. I've challenged you. Post your facts.

Then I'll post my facts about the increase in crime in the city.

I have posted my facts on here on numerous ocassions. I am not certain what crime stats have to do with how many more businesses there are in downtown today vs three years ago - the fact that more people live downtown than three years ago and that more people work downtown than three years ago, but post your stats anytime you want, it does not change anything about the facts that I have posted.

Guest Guest

I am not certain what a photo of downtown has to do with the facts posted. A photo taken at a certain time of day does not have much to do with fact and reality, but has more to do with perception.

Guest Guest

No, facts support that crime has skyrocketed since Matt Ryan took office and Chief John Butler left. Please provide any proof whatsoever that more people now live in downtown Binghamtot and show us signs of "vitality", anything. BTW, First Friday began before Ryan and since he cannot even keep the garbage off Hawley Street from them..:

Violent crime soared 42% in 18 months.

Larceny rose 22.5% in one year from 2005 to 2006.

Violent crime in 2005 = 176 incidents.

Violent crime in 2006 = 206 incidents. (17% increase from 2005)

Violent crime in half of 2007 - 125 incidents. (21.3% increase from first half of 2006, projected total 249)

Keep in mind violent crime in the rest of Broome County went down 5% in the same time period ?

City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 323.2)

2003 - 302.9

2004 - 299.9

2005 - 309.7

2006 - 353.4

http://www.city-data.com/city/Binghamton-New-York.html

Crime drops in Broome, rises in Binghamton

October 3, 2007 •• 357 words •• ID: bng44495856

City officials downplay increases By Jim Wright and Brian Liberatore jwright@pressconnects.com Press & Sun-Bulletin In the first six months of 2007, crime was down in Broome County when compared to the same period in 2006, but was up in Binghamton, according to figures released by the state Division of Criminal Justice Services. The report shows a 4.2 percent drop in crime in Broome County and a 5 percent increase in the city. Binghamton, which accounts for 23

Archived