The "growing, vital urban core"

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

It shouldn't be that hard to post one...single...verifiable source.... that indicates that there are more people living downtown than there were two years ago and that there are more business downtown than there were two years ago....unless of course there are no such indicators.

On the other hand...the US Census Bureau has reported that Binghamton continues to lose population but they haven't reported that downtown Binghamton's population has increased.

Guest Guest
No, facts support that crime has skyrocketed since Matt Ryan took office and Chief John Butler left. Please provide any proof whatsoever that more people now live in downtown Binghamtot and show us signs of "vitality", anything. BTW, First Friday began before Ryan and since he cannot even keep the garbage off Hawley Street from them..:

Violent crime soared 42% in 18 months.

Larceny rose 22.5% in one year from 2005 to 2006.

Violent crime in 2005 = 176 incidents.

Violent crime in 2006 = 206 incidents. (17% increase from 2005)

Violent crime in half of 2007 - 125 incidents. (21.3% increase from first half of 2006, projected total 249)

Keep in mind violent crime in the rest of Broome County went down 5% in the same time period ?

City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 323.2)

2003 - 302.9

2004 - 299.9

2005 - 309.7

2006 - 353.4

http://www.city-data.com/city/Binghamton-New-York.html

Crime drops in Broome, rises in Binghamton

October 3, 2007 •• 357 words •• ID: bng44495856

City officials downplay increases By Jim Wright and Brian Liberatore jwright@pressconnects.com Press & Sun-Bulletin In the first six months of 2007, crime was down in Broome County when compared to the same period in 2006, but was up in Binghamton, according to figures released by the state Division of Criminal Justice Services. The report shows a 4.2 percent drop in crime in Broome County and a 5 percent increase in the city. Binghamton, which accounts for 23

well - thanks for that info ed - but I never said anything about crime. I said that more people live and work downtown today than weh ryan took office and said that there are more businesses downtown today than when he took office. Now I know that those facts (which I have documented numerous times herre) dont mesh with your fantasy world opinions and perceptions, but themsa the facts ed. I am not certain why you would post about crime stats when I am talking abou these other things, but that is the way mr ed does things. I guess you figure if you can not comment or win on any particular discussion - well then attempt to make the discussion about something else. I dont like the crime increase either if that somehow makes you feel better - althougha c ouple of categories actually did go down or remain stagnant - I am not happy with the others increasing.

Guest Guest
I am not certain what a photo of downtown has to do with the facts posted. A photo taken at a certain time of day does not have much to do with fact and reality, but has more to do with perception.

Wow. You're quite the spinster.

You must know Matt and Tarik.

If a photo isn't a valid source of reality for you, I'd hate to see your idea of reality.

Alrighty then, how bout this:

Take one photo per hour for an 8 or 12 hour stretch at the same point downtown. Then come and show me where the "vitality" is.

You're dancing around my challenge because you know that if you accepted it, you'd be proven wrong.

I've lived here all my life. Downtown is nothing more than a shell of what it used to be. It's a ghost town compared to what it was.

Guest Guest

Here's a little tip for all fans of the Mayor:

Not everyone who posts criticisms of your "boy" here on BCV is Ed.

There are many more of us who don't like Ryan's do-nothing approach to the real problems of a dying Northeastern city.

Get off it already.

Guest Guest
I have posted my facts on here on numerous ocassions. I am not certain what crime stats have to do with how many more businesses there are in downtown today vs three years ago - the fact that more people live downtown than three years ago and that more people work downtown than three years ago, but post your stats anytime you want, it does not change anything about the facts that I have posted.

If you've posted facts about how many more people are actually living in the downtown area now as opposed to when "he took over", it would be easy for you to post them again. Of course, it would have to be numbers of gainfully employed people, not indigents, for any stats to be meaningful in any way.

The fact that you haven't says all I need to know. If you had actual numbers, you'd post them again. But you don't have any. It's just speculation and wishful thinking on your part.

Guest Guest
Wow. You're quite the spinster.

You must know Matt and Tarik.

If a photo isn't a valid source of reality for you, I'd hate to see your idea of reality.

Alrighty then, how bout this:

Take one photo per hour for an 8 or 12 hour stretch at the same point downtown. Then come and show me where the "vitality" is.

You're dancing around my challenge because you know that if you accepted it, you'd be proven wrong.

I've lived here all my life. Downtown is nothing more than a shell of what it used to be. It's a ghost town compared to what it was.

I am truly not certain what your point is. Are you one of those people that see snow in their backyard so golbal warming does not exist? A photo says nothing at all. a photo every hour for a day says nothing it all. It does not tell any facts and does not document any reality other than that of the moment the photo was taken.

I know downtown is a shell of what it used to be. but - there simply are more people living and working there than wehn ryan took over and there are more businesses there than when he took over as well.

As ed points out - there is more crime too. Now you would day you walked downtown yesterday and did not get mugged, so that means crime is down. Not so. facts and figures determine whether crime is up or down and it happens to indicate that crime is up and crime is way up under certain categories just like facts and figures determine whether more people live and work in downtown than three years ago - not a friggin photgraph.

Guest Guest

ps - did not support ryan either - did not vote for him - nothing. I did happen to support ed's candidate - naima (gasp) kind of sorry I did now, but other than her, no one else was left to support (and don't make me chocke and say drazen - YIKES!)

Guest Guest
I am truly not certain what your point is. Are you one of those people that see snow in their backyard so golbal warming does not exist? A photo says nothing at all. a photo every hour for a day says nothing it all. It does not tell any facts and does not document any reality other than that of the moment the photo was taken.

I know downtown is a shell of what it used to be. but - there simply are more people living and working there than wehn ryan took over and there are more businesses there than when he took over as well.

As ed points out - there is more crime too. Now you would day you walked downtown yesterday and did not get mugged, so that means crime is down. Not so. facts and figures determine whether crime is up or down and it happens to indicate that crime is up and crime is way up under certain categories just like facts and figures determine whether more people live and work in downtown than three years ago - not a friggin photgraph.

First of all......WTF???

I have no idea why you would interject other subjects like global warming or muggings into this.....unless, of course, your objective was to muddy up the topic.

We should be able to agree on some common sense: If there are more people living and working downtown, it would stand to reason that you'd see more people on the streets at any time of the day. Hence, my point about taking a photo of a downtown street.

Fact: downtown is still a ghost town. You may, after all, be correct. Perhaps there are 4 or 6 more people living there than there were when "he took over". But I highly doubt we're talking about white collar professional people, or even a few decently paid factory workers. If there are more, they're drug dealers, hookers, welfare mamas..........

Obviously, regardless of how many times you protest my challenge to you, you continue to not post a single verifiable statistic to back up your point.

I will accept your concession of the debate.

But keep dancing. It's highly entertaining to watch you squirm.

ps - did not support ryan either - did not vote for him - nothing. I did happen to support ed's candidate - naima (gasp) kind of sorry I did now, but other than her, no one else was left to support (and don't make me chocke and say drazen - YIKES!)

Yeah, don't make me "chocke" either.

TWS

Guest Guest
First of all......WTF???

I have no idea why you would interject other subjects like global warming or muggings into this.....unless, of course, your objective was to muddy up the topic.

We should be able to agree on some common sense: If there are more people living and working downtown, it would stand to reason that you'd see more people on the streets at any time of the day. Hence, my point about taking a photo of a downtown street.

Fact: downtown is still a ghost town. You may, after all, be correct. Perhaps there are 4 or 6 more people living there than there were when "he took over". But I highly doubt we're talking about white collar professional people, or even a few decently paid factory workers. If there are more, they're drug dealers, hookers, welfare mamas..........

Obviously, regardless of how many times you protest my challenge to you, you continue to not post a single verifiable statistic to back up your point.

I will accept your concession of the debate.

But keep dancing. It's highly entertaining to watch you squirm.

I am not squirming. in fact I am correct in my statements. also - I, as you, do not know the demographics of the increase of those that consist of the increase in people living downtown, but I wont let my opinions and perceptions determine the answer to that as you do, I prefer facts and figures.

There are more businesses downtown than wehn ryan took over as well - and more people working there too.

Now does that I mean I think ryan is doing a good job?

nope! I don't think he is doing a good job. I think the guy is some kind of left wing kook (and I am prdtty left wing myself - or thought I was til I see him). This "equity and justice" bit about wifi is absurd and ridiculous. The "studies" and "conferences" and "summits" drive me friggin mad. If there is one more "community meeting" about something I think I will scream! enough damn talk all the time - DO SOMETHING!

But just because I don't support him, dont think he is doing a good job and would rather have someone else as our mayor, does not mean that I would make shit up about him - saying that things that are true ar not true or vice versa.

Guest Southside Resident
"Ed, get me some coffee. Extra lite."

I Love this when they can't except the (heat) facts then they go on the offensive! The above poster just can't except what evryone is starting to see!!! I myself want to see the facts Mayor Doofus!

Guest Hahahah
Ed, you should update your photos. Some of those places look a lot better now.

While you're out taking pictures, can you photograph the Kradjian's properties that are falling apart in the downtown? Why don't you ever post photos of their properties on here? A lot of them are in terrible shape and are a huge eyesore for Binghamton. You complain about everyone else and don't take care of something right in front of you. You work for the Kradjians for cryn' out loud!!! Focus on what they need to improve for a while will ya?

So so true! Hahaha hilarious

Guest Guest
I Love this when they can't except the (heat) facts then they go on the offensive! The above poster just can't except what evryone is starting to see!!! I myself want to see the facts Mayor Doofus!

Interesting since Ed was not on BCVOICE form 8:30AM or so until about 4:30PM.

Guest Guest
I am not squirming. in fact I am correct in my statements. also - I, as you, do not know the demographics of the increase of those that consist of the increase in people living downtown, but I wont let my opinions and perceptions determine the answer to that as you do, I prefer facts and figures.

There are more businesses downtown than wehn ryan took over as well - and more people working there too.

nope! I don't think he is doing a good job. I think the guy is some kind of left wing kook (and I am prdtty left wing myself - or thought I was til I see him). This "equity and justice" bit about wifi is absurd and ridiculous. The "studies" and "conferences" and "summits" drive me friggin mad. If there is one more "community meeting" about something I think I will scream! enough damn talk all the time - DO SOMETHING!

But just because I don't support him, dont think he is doing a good job and would rather have someone else as our mayor, does not mean that I would make shit up about him - saying that things that are true ar not true or vice versa.

Instead of making things up, why don't you substantiate your claims...on what basis can you say there are more people living downtown than there were two years ago? Do you have US Census numbers to prove that?

Same thing with the number of businesses....do you have a source for your claim that there are more businesses downtown than there were two years ago or are we just supposed to take your word for it?

It shouldn't be too hard to back up those claims with FACTS...unless of course...you're making it up.

Guest Guest

In the same pargraph you claim not to have the facts about downtown demographics, and then reassert that your statements are correct. Doublespeak?

I'll agree that you have no facts to back up your claim. I'll also admit that I have none either, other than what my eyesight tells me.

Please don't continue to make wishful thinking claims about there being more people living and working downtown now than either a year ago or when Ryan took over when you admit to having nothing to back up that statement.

Nice job of backpedaling, by the way.

I think that photo below captures the true essence of Matt Ryan......

Binghamton Mayor Matthew T. Ryan touted the wireless network as a great addition to a "growing, vital urban core."

Have the delusions consumed his mind???

Where is this vitality?? Please anybody show us a sign....

974843068f382260babd0a9a1b9ada864fd64704f911c4393680342f002eb54b28efabfa.jpg

313788815ade6e965a9e7e81c9b67b034936a6bfc3594bb718e819654f29bd504a65ada7.jpg

733343958a33c2ea1e67efd0b34133ade04986c34faee3d6d4043e6f20d08d4d8df7ed24.jpg

264498420aece6b29fd0d07f87ac40faa9b296e3e574d0233fd8741d35c53ee5d64a7c20.jpg

005893710528a22bf5a57ec7f6342243e891880d793cb3460825b23337491adee8c6f98f.jpg

54105630cd157ded656d116ec32e629781a58a1b53aebf63cf8f4a41d35005d718385c23.jpg

11527404d966acf4a450c2eb73fb81139ac34a0023e79eb5fe14460f94e821e08cd86c4f.jpg

MATT, OPEN YOUR EYES...., PLEASE!!!!

9362034029ad338eb2010f9aa0388240d257c8bd406dd11a86e56c05a984a17ae5a2848c.jpg

Guest Guest

At least with the latest decision of NY State we can be sure the Monument to Ryan's decreptitude, The O'Neil Building, will remian standing for a while longer as a sybolm to Ryan stupidity..

Guest Guest
In the same pargraph you claim not to have the facts about downtown demographics, and then reassert that your statements are correct. Doublespeak?

I'll agree that you have no facts to back up your claim. I'll also admit that I have none either, other than what my eyesight tells me.

Please don't continue to make wishful thinking claims about there being more people living and working downtown now than either a year ago or when Ryan took over when you admit to having nothing to back up that statement.

Nice job of backpedaling, by the way.

I made no claim about the demographics of those that constitute the increase in population in downtown Binghamton.

I have posted documentatin on here befroe that shows that there are more people living in downtown than three years ago - more businesses located in downtown than three years ago and more people working in downtown than three years ago. I am not going to go back and reconstruct that documentation all over again for someone who thinks that their own anecdotal experience is documentation of anyting but their own experience.

As far as backpeddaling - I have no idea what you are talking about, as I did not backpedal on anything, as I have no need to.

Guest Guest

Is this a sign of Binghamton's "Vitality"?

How many sex offenders is Tim Grippen and Opportunities for Broome housing in their beautfiul downtown landmark, The Dixie Hotel?

When will this architectural gem be posted on the City of Bignhamton web site?

45222405fef3a7fbca6a3e173813fb31a6cd3c0bd34c319c0509dfeb4b3b896b2bada97a.jpg

Guest Guest
Is this a sign:

4741548223a2df21227eaed5ce169f77e2640d8ebbf4227051e3ee80710f3af622cb7992.jpg

Well, it certainly is a sign that someone is doing business. Otherwise they would not have trash to throw out.

Guest Guest

Let's see from the photo I'd say 100 rooms at the Holiday Inn see this pile of garbage every weekend when they look out their window. That must be inviting to go visit the downtown core.

I see that pile out of my window, I'm staying in the hotel and justing waiting for when I can get the hell out of town.

Archived