Anti-Tobbacco Ads

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

The ads tell people to ask store managers to take down child-height ads.

I say the ads are placed low to prevent blow away and/or possible damage to cars if they do blow away.

I say it's all in the parenting. I'm over 50 and I never started.

Somebody needs to get a life.

I say the ads are placed low to prevent blow away and/or possible damage to cars if they do blow away.

take your grandkids to a convenient store and watch what signs/ads they notice first. then come back and we'll talk.

Guest Guest
take your grandkids to a convenient store and watch what signs/ads they notice first. then come back and we'll talk.

I've noticed the candy racks are at the perfect height for kid's hands to grab some.

I would think they'd see that and head there or the soda coolers first.

I've noticed the candy racks are at the perfect height for kid's hands to grab some.

I would think they'd see that and head there or the soda coolers first.

that's also true. next time you pay for gas (assumnig you use cash) check the placement of tobacco ads. i'm not trying to start a crusade ok. my son just wrote a paper on it for stha. i couldn't believe what i noticed after he brought it to my attention.

I thought this article in today's PSB was interesting...it's a response to this question posed:

"In an effort to protect children, should any movie that shows smoking be automatically rated "R"?"

"When I was a child, my father, who believed that the use of either tobacco or alcohol rated up there with the worst of all possible sins, would jump up and down all evening when the TV set was on (no remotes in those days) and turn it off whenever an ad for tobacco or alcohol came on, thus doing his best to keep his offspring from any temptation to indulge. We seldom saw any prime-time program in its complete form; and by the time we were young adults, all five of us were smoking. Thankfully, long before we reached our present ages, we were not.

http://pressconnects.com/apps/pbcs.dll/sec...late=tiervoices

Having been in retail for many years, I can say that the market does target certain items for sale. Cigarettes are a big one, as is candy. When you go into the grocery store next time, look at eye level on the shelves, the higher priced items are placed there because most people do not look around, but rather straight ahead. All those items by the registers at walmart and kmart are placed there so you "remember" at the last minute you need it. Convience stores place lighter displays and nick knacks on the counters for the same reason.

For what it is worth, I agree the cigarette ads need to be above where children normally look. I also agree it starts at home, but being a smoker myself I can't yell at my kids for doing so....I do, but shouldn't.

Guest Guest

In a way I agree. My parents smoked (like chimneys) I do not. My younger sister started smoking at 25 years old because her boyfriend smoked. I don't think the ads have any effect on kids choice to smoke or not. I think a lot of it has to do with peer pressure.

Guest Guest
Our children are going to be exposed to cigarette ads. We need to educate them. That is the only way we will be able to protect them.

Yep, it's all in the parenting!

Guest Guest

If kids are so easily influenced imagine the harm of schools telling them constantly that homosexuality is a normal thing.

What happened to the mantra "they are going to do it anyway so...."?

What the hell is tobbacco? :blink:

Guest I Like Beer

These ads will never be moved because in most cases beer and tobacco are the stores main selling point :angry:

Archived