Best Athlete in JC History

Guest Guest

Eric Moschak was one of the better athletes JC had.

Really?

He wasn't that good!?!? He had an excellent fastball, but that's about it. Not a great hitter. He was decent in basketball, but nothing special.

Other than his fastball, what made him a great athlete? I can't think of anything.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jimmy Massar-boys. girls-I like the Lauren Mullins post, though I think its premature. Maybe in a year or so. Despite being ill for a part of last Xc season she was a Footlocker finalist-top 40 girls and guys in america-and finished 32.

you forgot to mention that rob cole went to notre dame for football

ed koban state champ football starter for syracuse football

steve villanti state football champ syracuse football

gary beddoe state football champ rutgers football

bob koban northeastern football

sonny spera syracuse basketball

mike sinicki boston college basketball

i could be wrong, but wasn't jerry sckonecki from u-e. he played on the syracuse 1959's undefeated football team. he's got a nice ring to show it.

i would take boreffi off there for obvious reasons - he plunged faster than tiger

yes, your players are all good but I had to pick a top 20. You are right, Koban and Villanti were starters and probably should be on the list. The others did not start so they won't make the top 20.

yes, your players are all good but I had to pick a top 20. You are right, Koban and Villanti were starters and probably should be on the list. The others did not start so they won't make the top 20.

yet you keep boreffi on the list. greatest hitter?? his carreer was over before it started. he was a disgrace.

i could be wrong, but wasn't jerry sckonecki from u-e. he played on the syracuse 1959's undefeated football team. he's got a nice ring to show it.

Johnson City I think.

Guest get real
Phil Dembowski, Ed Connelly and Billy Massar.

I just don't think most people understand how axccomplished she is.

Understand this:

1. Running is the MOST international sport

2. The USA ranks 3rd or 4th in the world for junior (under 19) women's running.

3. Lauren is among the best in the nation

If she stays healthy, she will be one of the best in the USA- no one you mentioned comes close to that.

Think Joe Montana, you see what I mean?

I really think that when most people think sports, they think a local football player can be compared to a national class runner. It simply can't be done.

yet you keep boreffi on the list. greatest hitter?? his carreer was over before it started. he was a disgrace.

Boreffi played pro ball. I rate that higher then playing D1 football and not playing much. Boreffi was a phenomenal hitter. The best of his generation by a wide margin. Only Johnny Logan would be better. I am not going to penalize him for off the field activities that happened after he retired,

Guest get real
Boreffi played pro ball. I rate that higher then playing D1 football and not playing much. Boreffi was a phenomenal hitter. The best of his generation by a wide margin. Only Johnny Logan would be better. I am not going to penalize him for off the field activities that happened after he retired,

Pro ball is a very high level (if it was Major Leagues), but you make my point well:

Baseball is not a very international sport- it was dropped from the olympics for that reason. Running is something everyone does. It has more money in it than most sports- soccer and F1 have more. On the grand scale MLB is a minor sport.

Tiger greats

1 . Johnny Logan MLB All Star all around athlete in all sports

2. Isiah Kascevenski NFL wrestler Sec 4 champ, state semifinalist

3. Jim Johnson MLB in his third season with more to come.

4. Art Jones NFL State wrestling champ

5. Joe Mott NFL

6. Doc Matisi First team All American in football shot put record for 30 years

7.. Jon Bones Jones MMA star state champ in wrestling

8. Chandler Jones Syracuse DE basketball player

9. Tom Mason 3 sport star, offered contract by Phillies, quarterback at Iowa State

10. Jordan Thomas Sec4 200 dash record holder, now at Rurgers for football

11. Ron Luciano played for the Detroit Lions and MLB umpire and author

12. Randy Zur Quarterback at Syracuse

13. Any Nezelik AAA pitcher, fast track for the Braves until he blew his arm out. Basketball star in HS

14. Mickey Murtha QB at Univeristy of Buffalo

15. Sean Kerins starting forward for Syracuse basketball

16. Bob Norris Delaware running back, track star

17 Rod Zur Penn State football, basketball, and track

18. Rob Cole First team All State in football and wrestling like Arthur Jones (very rare)

19. Fran Boreffi- maybe greates hitter ever out of this area. Outhit teamate Gary Sheffield in his first year

20. Jeff Pilarcek QB at Northeastern, baseball pitcher

Fentsemacher, Moss brothers, Jim , Mike Doherty, Shultz , kosick, Haller, Campbell, Powell, Opie, Mark Carr, ,Mushala all went to D-1 schools like the guys you mentioned. These guys are from the top of my head-there's plenty more. I will get back with you. Hopefully some Golden Bear alumnii will help me out.

retire??? he didn't have the talent to advance. how long was his career? how far did he go? a D1 football player is much more impressive than a minor league player who goes nowhere. they draft kids right out high school across the country all time. 99.9% of them don't even make it to AA. i'd ask you what you were smoking, but if you are touting boreffi as a success, i think i already know. the old MLB scout saying is they would sign a ham sandwich out of high school and cross their fingers. the team has nothing to lose.

retire??? he didn't have the talent to advance. how long was his career? how far did he go? a D1 football player is much more impressive than a minor league player who goes nowhere. they draft kids right out high school across the country all time. 99.9% of them don't even make it to AA. i'd ask you what you were smoking, but if you are touting boreffi as a success, i think i already know. the old MLB scout saying is they would sign a ham sandwich out of high school and cross their fingers. the team has nothing to lose.

from liitle league to the end of high school, he was a good hitter. this was exaggerated by the lack of any quality pitching during his era. go around 3-8 yrs. back and i could name twenty endicott pitchers he wouldn't have touched. no good pitchers came out of his era. settle down with the best crap.

Pro ball is a very high level (if it was Major Leagues), but you make my point well:

Baseball is not a very international sport- it was dropped from the olympics for that reason. Running is something everyone does. It has more money in it than most sports- soccer and F1 have more. On the grand scale MLB is a minor sport.

who cares about the sports of third world international countries. This is about all time greats and baseball is a big sport locally and nationally.

Boreffi hit well over 300 in his first season, outhitting then teamamte Gary Sheffield. He blew out his arm in spring training the next year and was never able to gain enough arm strength to ever play again. he was not released because he could not produce, only because he was hurt. He is the all time home run champ of the large schools in Broome County. He was the best.

Boreffi hit well over 300 in his first season, outhitting then teamamte Gary Sheffield. He blew out his arm in spring training the next year and was never able to gain enough arm strength to ever play again. he was not released because he could not produce, only because he was hurt. He is the all time home run champ of the large schools in Broome County. He was the best.

more proof you are clueless. injuries are a part of the game. if you're an outfielder and blow out your arm, you never had a good arm. bottom line, anyone that uses an injury as the reason someone can't play was never an athlete. he was let go because he couldn't produce. the reason is meaningless, especially when injuries are a part of the game. an athlete would know that.

he had 160 at bats in his glorious 1 yr career. that is not enough to qualify him for any credible average. how many did sheffield have?? you are an idiot. funny how you leave out certain details. he was drafted in the 29th round. scouts are just throwing darts by the 29th round. surely the best of this area would be noticed before the 29th round. i'm still waiting to see all the great pitchers of his era. there were none. if he played in the 2 eras before him, he wouldn't even been noticed.

I would have to say Teddy Skoeniecki, i mean Jerry. Thoughts??

I had a friend was a big baseball player

back in high school

He could throw that speedball by you

Make you look like a fool boy

Saw him the other night at this roadside bar

I was walking in, he was walking out

We went back inside sat down had a few drinks

but all he kept talking about was

Chorus:

Glory days well they'll pass you by

Glory days in the wink of a young girl's eye

Glory days, glory days

It's nice to hear about all the great JC athletes. It's sad so many of their top athletes don't have grades good enough to get into college. How many of the names mentioned graduated from college? Get over yourselves and start focusing on what's important.

more proof you are clueless. injuries are a part of the game. if you're an outfielder and blow out your arm, you never had a good arm. bottom line, anyone that uses an injury as the reason someone can't play was never an athlete. he was let go because he couldn't produce. the reason is meaningless, especially when injuries are a part of the game. an athlete would know that.

he had 160 at bats in his glorious 1 yr career. that is not enough to qualify him for any credible average. how many did sheffield have?? you are an idiot. funny how you leave out certain details. he was drafted in the 29th round. scouts are just throwing darts by the 29th round. surely the best of this area would be noticed before the 29th round. i'm still waiting to see all the great pitchers of his era. there were none. if he played in the 2 eras before him, he wouldn't even been noticed.

Do you make this stuff up? Boreffi was drafted in the 18th round out of high school. His first season was in a short season league in which he had about 250 at bats. An injury prevented him from playing. Not his hitting ability. With a healthy arm he would have gone far.

An injury prevented him from playing. Not his hitting ability. With a healthy arm he would have gone far.

Not would have, COULD have.

You have any idea how many players have that level of talent according to the people that saw them and did nOT make it? Maybe he would have, maybe not.

Do you make this stuff up? Boreffi was drafted in the 18th round out of high school. His first season was in a short season league in which he had about 250 at bats. An injury prevented him from playing. Not his hitting ability. With a healthy arm he would have gone far.

really? the official website of minor league baseball since 1900 begs to differ. nice try, moron.

really? the official website of minor league baseball since 1900 begs to differ. nice try, moron.

Hey pal no need to call me a moron. You must be mad because you were the pitcher in ALL Star little league who Boreffi hit three home runs in three consecutive pitches. The website does say 29th wrong. There is a chance it may be wrong but it is probably right. I could have sworn he was picked in the 29th round.

Guest hitting coach

I would have liked to seen that effort! 3 home runs - was it at Logan or another field? I still scratch my head as to how you knew that "Guest" was the pitcher, though he has been very adamant about Fran for 2 weeks!! Almost as adamant as the Phil Jordan hater on the Psychic thread!!

Hey pal no need to call me a moron. You must be mad because you were the pitcher in ALL Star little league who Boreffi hit three home runs in three consecutive pitches. The website does say 29th wrong. There is a chance it may be wrong but it is probably right. I could have sworn he was picked in the 29th round.

huh????? try english. he was drafted in the 29th round. he had 160 at bats his only year. it's on every single website you can look it up. are they all wrong???

i played right before before him and he couldn't hit me or any of the other good pitchers of that time. or the era before that. what good pitcher did he hit off? name 1. then i'll name at least a dozen before him he wouldn't have touched.

Troy Robinson is playing "way" better than Krowiak, Baxter and Constandine played when they were freshman and definitely will be a lot better than these guys when he's a senior. Possibly scholarship to a high ranked D-1 school.

Yeah Right - LOL

huh????? try english. he was drafted in the 29th round. he had 160 at bats his only year. it's on every single website you can look it up. are they all wrong???

i played right before before him and he couldn't hit me or any of the other good pitchers of that time. or the era before that. what good pitcher did he hit off? name 1. then i'll name at least a dozen before him he wouldn't have touched.

If the pitching was so bad then how come nobody else was pounding out homers at his rate. Boreffi has the school home run record by a wide margin. If you recall he was often intentionally walked. If you played before hime you might have gotten him out when you were a Senior and he was a Freshmen. I don't recall the pitchers back in the mid 80s. That was a long time ago. Chances are they were just as good then as most other times. Chances are they were better then the pitching today with the watered down enrollment numbers all over.

I haven't read the 8 pages of posts-but here are a few suggestions-Bob holbert-if you don't know who he is, nuff said-Jimmy Massar, Lauren Mullins (still a student Jr-we'll see), Dick dino, Mike Moran. Ken McLaughlin ( if you don't know what he did, don't post here) I can't comment on Chomysak and others because they were way before my time.

Archived