NY SHPO says City Can't Use RestoreNY $ to Tear Down Ross Building

Tax&Spend

Did you notice this in the Thursday, March 6, 2008 Press?

http://www.pressconnects.com/apps/pbcs.dll...D=2008803060325

Updates

* The Ross Building, Court Street, Binghamton

On Jan. 15, the City of Binghamton announced plans to demolish the Ross Building using funds from a Restore New York grant.

Last week, Mayor Matthew T. Ryan said "the project is on hold," adding that SHPO (New York State's Historic Preservation Office) "put the brakes on demolition" by stating that public funds cannot be used to demolish the building.

Ryan said the city originally contracted the engineering firm Hagopian Associates to analyze the condition of the building in hopes that it could be rehabilitated. He said the report indicates such serious structural problems that he now considers it be an "emergency demolition" project.

The city previously released a copy of the engineering report to SHPO and then met with them Feb. 29. According to Ryan, John Hagopian described the condition of the building and showed interior photos. Ryan said the photos clearly indicate major structural problems throughout the building.

"All internal structural supports are made of wood. There is dry rot evident on every floor," he said. Ryan believes the building "could be saved, but it would take millions of dollars to do it."

What's the next step? Ryan said demolition of the building cannot happen without funds from Restore New York, a program designed to revitalize urban areas and attract businesses. The funds would only be available for demolition after SHPO "signs off on it," he said, adding that SHPO requested an estimate to stabilize and rehabilitate the building, which the city plans to provide over the next few days. Ryan hopes that with that information SHPO will allow the demolition plan to move forward.

Originally considered by the city to be an internal report only, Ryan said the city has now decided to release the engineering report to the public.

Ryan said if the Ross building is demolished, he believes there will be no problem attracting a developer to use the property, including the adjacent area where the O'Neil Building previously stood.

Treasures of the Tier is a monthly column covering historic preservation issues in the Southern Tier. Luther may be contacted at rluther@nysLandmarks.com or by visiting his Web site: http://nysLandmarks.com/Treasures.

================================================================================

So, after one state agency gives the City money for demolition, another one says, "NO!" Looks like Albany is not singing off the same page of music. THIS is what the SHPO wants to "preserve"?

974843068f382260babd0a9a1b9ada864fd64704f911c4393680342f002eb54b28efabfa.jpg

Guest Guest
Did you notice this in the Thursday, March 6, 2008 Press?

http://www.pressconnects.com/apps/pbcs.dll...D=2008803060325

Updates

* The Ross Building, Court Street, Binghamton

On Jan. 15, the City of Binghamton announced plans to demolish the Ross Building using funds from a Restore New York grant.

Last week, Mayor Matthew T. Ryan said "the project is on hold," adding that SHPO (New York State's Historic Preservation Office) "put the brakes on demolition" by stating that public funds cannot be used to demolish the building.

Ryan said the city originally contracted the engineering firm Hagopian Associates to analyze the condition of the building in hopes that it could be rehabilitated. He said the report indicates such serious structural problems that he now considers it be an "emergency demolition" project.

The city previously released a copy of the engineering report to SHPO and then met with them Feb. 29. According to Ryan, John Hagopian described the condition of the building and showed interior photos. Ryan said the photos clearly indicate major structural problems throughout the building.

"All internal structural supports are made of wood. There is dry rot evident on every floor," he said. Ryan believes the building "could be saved, but it would take millions of dollars to do it."

What's the next step? Ryan said demolition of the building cannot happen without funds from Restore New York, a program designed to revitalize urban areas and attract businesses. The funds would only be available for demolition after SHPO "signs off on it," he said, adding that SHPO requested an estimate to stabilize and rehabilitate the building, which the city plans to provide over the next few days. Ryan hopes that with that information SHPO will allow the demolition plan to move forward.

Originally considered by the city to be an internal report only, Ryan said the city has now decided to release the engineering report to the public.

Ryan said if the Ross building is demolished, he believes there will be no problem attracting a developer to use the property, including the adjacent area where the O'Neil Building previously stood.

Treasures of the Tier is a monthly column covering historic preservation issues in the Southern Tier. Luther may be contacted at rluther@nysLandmarks.com or by visiting his Web site: http://nysLandmarks.com/Treasures.

================================================================================

So, after one state agency gives the City money for demolition, another one says, "NO!" Looks like Albany is not singing off the same page of music. THIS is what the SHPO wants to "preserve"?

974843068f382260babd0a9a1b9ada864fd64704f911c4393680342f002eb54b28efabfa.jpg

All the more reason to stop relying on Albany and Washington for grant money....when will these idiots in government learn that there are costly...VERY costly strings attached to this supposedly "free" money.

2278920084ecba5fbaa658db45bd3a8953ddbd17131c56146fc3bfda735801715fca8e69.jpg

Matt Ryan didn't really think he could use state RestoreNY money to clean up the mess from the half-job he did last year when he let the downstate owners of the Ross Building "off the hook" by accepting a deed to the property from them (instead of making them finish the demolition job),

did he?

Guest Guest

Just more proof Matt Ryan is an idiot.

Every single thing he has attempted to do has been botched.

This guy couldn't find his butt with both hands.

It will take two decades to extricate the City of Binghamton from the crap pile Ryan will leave in four years.

Guest Guest

Keep in mind Matt Ryan told us about a month ago in his State of the City Address that in two months now we will hear about major plans for an impressive new project on the O'Neil Building site.

I wonder how that is going to happen with the building stil there?

Can Jim Dessauer or Matt Ryan explain?

Has this project stalled just like the South Side Project or that plan in his first six months to "bring people together" to plan to have a plan or like the missing North Side Grocery or the missing First Ward Health Clinic?

Has Ryan really actually accomplish anything we can go and touch?

I say if the building can be saved, then save it! Let's not go through another urban renewal like this city had in the 60's. The architectural details of that building are beautiful. No one does work like that anymore. It might take a lot of money to restore it, but it should be attempted in funding is available for it.

Save history if possible instead of taking the easy way out and just demolishing it.

Guest Guest
I say if the building can be saved, then save it! Let's not go through another urban renewal like this city had in the 60's. The architectural details of that building are beautiful. No one does work like that anymore. It might take a lot of money to restore it, but it should be attempted in funding is available for it.

Save history if possible instead of taking the easy way out and just demolishing it.

$4+MM to renovate...$1MM to demoilh. OK Cat's Eye, I'm all for history. Please make your $3MM check out to the City of Binghamton Renovation Fund...

Talk is cheap.

$4+MM to renovate...$1MM to demoilh. OK Cat's Eye, I'm all for history. Please make your $3MM check out to the City of Binghamton Renovation Fund...

Talk is cheap.

You never know. A wealthy private investor may come through especially if they are given grant money from the state and federal govt. to salvage it. Stranger things have happened.

Guest Guest
You never know. A wealthy private investor may come through especially if they are given grant money from the state and federal govt. to salvage it. Stranger things have happened.

I actually heard that ed is going to stop his obsessing, whining and moaning and put his money where his mouth is and buy this proerty for developement.

Just kidding - ed works for minimum wage on a welfare job.

Guest Guest

OH my God!

Do we need any further proof this guy is an idiot?

The building has sat there rotting to the core for years.

You think it can be saved?

You think any would want to try to repair that now!

No contractor would send people in to reapir it for fear of it collapsing on their heads.

Guest Guest
I actually heard that ed is going to stop his obsessing, whining and moaning and put his money where his mouth is and buy this proerty for developement.

Just kidding - ed works for minimum wage on a welfare job.

Apparently you haven't heard Ed also works in Binghamton now for a private firm, he's everywhere, ask Cat's Eye....

On Pressconnects,.com Integral Reality is still trying to figure out how Ed, who is supposed to be "Mr. Posiitve", was posting at 9:24 this morning while sitting in a crowded room at a breakfast gathering without even a laptop or PDA for an hour and fifteen minutes from 9AM to 10:15AM.

Guest Guest
Apparently you haven't heard Ed also works in Binghamton now for a private firm, he's everywhere, ask Cat's Eye....

On Pressconnects,.com Integral Reality is still trying to figure out how Ed, who is supposed to be "Mr. Posiitve", was posting at 9:24 this morning while sitting in a crowded room at a breakfast gathering without even a laptop or PDA for an hour and fifteen minutes from 9AM to 10:15AM.

oh yea

we believe ya

we really really do

ok - we don't

Guest Guest
oh yea

we believe ya

we really really do

ok - we don't

So you don't believe Cat's Eye or Poptart?

Good, neither, do I!

Guest Guest

So what is the "plan" now for the O'Neil/Ross Building?

Will this cost the City of Binghamton another few hundred thousand dollars it doesn't?

Guest Guest

So will those requests for proposals that Ryan mentioned in his state of the City Address be on hold?

“Friday we will open bids to demolish the remaining Ross Building. We tried to save this historic structure, but unfortunately determined that it is too deteriorated to make rehabilitation a possibility. But tonight I can state with confidence we will have significant redevelopment plans proposed for this corner. There is already serious interest in this property, and I am very optimistic tonight that within three months, after the request for proposal process, we will be announcing a new and impressive construction project, which will be symbolic of the commitments being made by private investors to our downtown revitalization efforts.” - WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 13 2008 / PAGE 10 of 16

I'm sure we wil get an asnwewr soon because Matt todl us so...

“I promise tonight to move toward 100% transparency of all city projects and initiatives, a goal which I am committed to reach by the end of this year. Reports, summaries, meeting minutes, grant applications—all of the records, your records, will be available for review online.” Page 5 of 16 Feb. 13’ 08

Guest Guest

What is the new plan to demolish the O'Neil/Ross Building?

How long will those barricades have to stay up to prevent people from getting hit with the falling building?

When that thing tumbles down into the street and makes national news wil Mayor Doofus Ryan stand in fornt of the cameras and attempt to explain or will he send sorority queen A&W Block?

Guest Guest
So will those requests for proposals that Ryan mentioned in his state of the City Address be on hold?

“Friday we will open bids to demolish the remaining Ross Building. We tried to save this historic structure, but unfortunately determined that it is too deteriorated to make rehabilitation a possibility. But tonight I can state with confidence we will have significant redevelopment plans proposed for this corner. There is already serious interest in this property, and I am very optimistic tonight that within three months, after the request for proposal process, we will be announcing a new and impressive construction project, which will be symbolic of the commitments being made by private investors to our downtown revitalization efforts.” - WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 13 2008 / PAGE 10 of 16

I'm sure we wil get an asnwewr soon because Matt todl us so...

“I promise tonight to move toward 100% transparency of all city projects and initiatives, a goal which I am committed to reach by the end of this year. Reports, summaries, meeting minutes, grant applications—all of the records, your records, will be available for review online.” Page 5 of 16 Feb. 13’ 08

Nice to have that in writing....

Archived