Moving Companies

BlackSven

Yes.

It's called pack your own boxes, go rent a U-Haul, load it yourself, drive it to your new location, unload it, take U-Haul back, go unpack boxes.

When we moved from Greene to Binghamton we had Roger's Moving and Storage do ours. Lets just say that they damaged more small things because of poor packing and handling then it was worth. Of course their insurance paid for it, and that was only because we were smart enough to do a complete video of everything before and after and had the proof, it was not worth the BS.

We are in the mits of purchasing a place in PA (NY is getting to high to live in and we just can not seem to stay in line with investments so we can retire like we want and travel the US) and we WILL move ourselves this time.

Good Luck

Guest Solomon

Well, we had a very good experience with Rogers. We hired them when we moved 5 years ago and they did a great job. We packed and moved as much as we could ourselves but just didn't have the manpower for the big things like a huge upright piano, refrigerators, entertainment centers, sofa sleepers, etc., so that's where they came in. Those guys showed up right on time and busted their butts, we had some heavy stuff. Packed everything quickly and carefully, put each piece right where we wanted it in our new house, took their shoes off every time they came back in so they wouldn't track dirt in on the rugs, and there wasn't a scratch on anything when they were done. Maybe we lucked out with a good crew of workers, but the guys we had deserved every cent we paid them.

i also have used rogers before...they packed everything up and moved it...it was great....a little on the $$ side...the last move i did i hired Kocak movers and they were probably the best and not very much $$....they moved several other things for me (large stoves etc..) and they were great for that also...i would say go with them...

Guest guestwho
Doing a move from Kirkwood to Chenango - anybody have any experience with movers?

Thanks!

DO NOT - I repeat - DO NOT use Markham movers. He (Markham himself) gives new meaning to the words thieve and shyster. Avoid that company like it was black death itself.

Last move I did, I moved most of the stuff myself with the help of friends, and then got a small U-Haul for the furniture. It cost approx $50 to have the truck for 8 hours. Because I had moved most of the stuff without the truck, I only had to pay mileage for one trip. Unless you have a lot to move and little time to do it in, this is the route I recommend. My move was planned, so I had about a month to gradually pack, and a week to get my stuff from the old place to the new place.

Guest Mr Mover

This is easy.

1. Call all your friends and family(especially people with suv's/pickup trucks).

2. Ask them for help with moving.

3. Buy some rope or bungies if no one has any.

4. On moving day, buy a big sheet pizza.

5. Do the lifting and work yourselves instead of wasting money on a moving company.

6. Eat the pizza with said friends and family after big move is complete.

7. Enjoy new house.

This is easy.

1. Call all your friends and family(especially people with suv's/pickup trucks).

2. Ask them for help with moving.

3. Buy some rope or bungies if no one has any.

4. On moving day, buy a big sheet pizza.

5. Do the lifting and work yourselves instead of wasting money on a moving company.

6. Eat the pizza with said friends and family after big move is complete.

7. Enjoy new house.

What, no cheese and crackers ?

I moved about 7 years back and used Dimon & Bacorn and I'd say do not use them.

I was just an apartment move, but had a LOT of stuff and I had always moved myself before but this time I decided to use movers. They arrived on time and I was paying them by the hour, but they did not ring my doorbell until nearly 20 minutes after they arrived. There were supposed to be three guys and only two showed up, and they - I kid you not - chatted by their truck drinking coffee for nearly 20 minutes before they came to the door.

They cleared out the place fast enough, and of course some items were damaged, but the stuff they took downstairs on hand-trucks they were not exactly gentle with, using gravity to it's fullest power to move the boxes down the stairs (i.e. clang, clang, clang, clang down the stairs rapid fire) , and that crushed the bottoms of some of the boxes and damaged some goods in those. They also took more breaks than I would expect by-the-hour movers to take, but it was my first time so I do not know the norm.

Another thing I was not happy with, was their office never called to see if all went well or if I was satisfied, nor got any letter/survey in the mail after to rate their service. Maybe I'm wrong, again I never used movers before, but I was expecting at least one of those two. I never wrote them to voice my concerns/displeasures.

Wolf

Yes.

It's called pack your own boxes, go rent a U-Haul, load it yourself, drive it to your new location, unload it, take U-Haul back, go unpack boxes.

When we moved from Greene to Binghamton we had Roger's Moving and Storage do ours. Lets just say that they damaged more small things because of poor packing and handling then it was worth. Of course their insurance paid for it, and that was only because we were smart enough to do a complete video of everything before and after and had the proof, it was not worth the BS.

We are in the mits of purchasing a place in PA (NY is getting to high to live in and we just can not seem to stay in line with investments so we can retire like we want and travel the US) and we WILL move ourselves this time.

Good Luck

It's just my girlfriend and I and she has a bad back and I have bad legs. We moved into our current place 6 months ago, did it ourselves, and after that swore we wouldn't do it by ourselves again. We're both in our mid-forties and I guess we're not as young as we used to be :angry:

Thanks for the advice. Roger's has already given us a quote and it's a bit high.

i also have used rogers before...they packed everything up and moved it...it was great....a little on the $$ side...the last move i did i hired Kocak movers and they were probably the best and not very much $$....they moved several other things for me (large stoves etc..) and they were great for that also...i would say go with them...

Thanks!

Last move I did, I moved most of the stuff myself with the help of friends, and then got a small U-Haul for the furniture. It cost approx $50 to have the truck for 8 hours. Because I had moved most of the stuff without the truck, I only had to pay mileage for one trip. Unless you have a lot to move and little time to do it in, this is the route I recommend. My move was planned, so I had about a month to gradually pack, and a week to get my stuff from the old place to the new place.

No friends or family in this area :( . We've only been here 6 months.

I moved about 7 years back and used Dimon & Bacorn and I'd say do not use them.

I was just an apartment move, but had a LOT of stuff and I had always moved myself before but this time I decided to use movers. They arrived on time and I was paying them by the hour, but they did not ring my doorbell until nearly 20 minutes after they arrived. There were supposed to be three guys and only two showed up, and they - I kid you not - chatted by their truck drinking coffee for nearly 20 minutes before they came to the door.

They cleared out the place fast enough, and of course some items were damaged, but the stuff they took downstairs on hand-trucks they were not exactly gentgle with, using gravity to it's fullest power to move the boxes down the stairs (i.e. clang, clang, clang, clang down the stairs rapid fire) , and that crushed the bottoms of some of the boxes and damaged some goods in those. They also took more breaks than I would expect by-the-hour movers to take, but it was my first time so I do not know the norm.

Another thing I was not happy with, was their office never called to see if all went well or if I was satisfied, nor got any letter/survey in the mail after to rate their service. Maybe I'm wrong, again I never used movers before, but I was expecting at least one of those two. I never wrote them to voice my concerns/displeasures.

Thanks Wolf. I got a quote from them too.

Wolf

Archived