Binghamton Factory Fire

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

I'm looking for a monument dedicated to the victims of the 1913 fire at the Binghamton Clothing Company. I believe it may be in Springforest Cemetery in your city. Can anyone verify if such a memorial exists? If so, maybe a section # location in the cemetery? Is it a large cemetery? Newspaper accounts of the fire vary, but I believe somewhere between 30-50 women died in the tragedy.

Thank you.

Guest Guest

GOOGLE: "binghamton shirtwaste fire" to get information.

The Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire

Yes there are graves and a memorial stone in Spring Forest Cemetary off of Mygatt St. in Binghamton. Location bottom of hill just off of cemetary road approximaetly in the middle.

I'm looking for a monument dedicated to the victims of the 1913 fire at the Binghamton Clothing Company. I believe it may be in Springforest Cemetery in your city. Can anyone verify if such a memorial exists? If so, maybe a section # location in the cemetery? Is it a large cemetery? Newspaper accounts of the fire vary, but I believe somewhere between 30-50 women died in the tragedy.

Thank you.

It is on the left side of the cemetery, as you go through the main gate, on a little hill. There is a MAIN monument and the monuments of the workers circle it. I can't remember if the names are on the workers stones. I think they just might be blank. They couldn't identify the remains. A terrible tragedy to say the very least. 2.gif

Triangle was in NYC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triangle_Shir...st_Factory_fire

1913 -- Binghamton Clothing Factory fire results in new standard for building exits (35 deaths).

There was a thread on BCV last summer or so that had alot of historical information about that area of town, and was really interesting.

I'm looking, but so far, no luck other than the above.

Triangle was in NYC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triangle_Shir...st_Factory_fire

1913 -- Binghamton Clothing Factory fire results in new standard for building exits (35 deaths).

There was a thread on BCV last summer or so that had alot of historical information about that area of town, and was really interesting.

I'm looking, but so far, no luck other than the above.

DIFFERENT FIRE:

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/...amp;oref=slogin

1913: A fire at Binghamton Clothing Co., 18 Wall St., killed 31 people

There are at least 2 books at B&N that cover it very well, look in the local history section. The web appears to be lacking, at least as far as I've seen. :(

Guest Guest

If you really want information, the Binghamton Fire Department has a Memorial Custodian, his name is Dennis Sullivan, if you are truely interested in the 1913 Clothing company fire, you should contact him, and I am sure he can give you tons of information about it. Just call Fire Administration and give your name and number, they will get your info. to him.

Guest Guest

Don't disagree with AFC - Catholics have now said your distrust of AFC is a sim. The fire in Binghamton Shirt was set by Satan himself to get all non- AFCs.

Fall to your knees and give in to the Catholics

Guest sundial
It is on the left side of the cemetery, as you go through the main gate, on a little hill. There is a MAIN monument and the monuments of the workers circle it. I can't remember if the names are on the workers stones. I think they just might be blank. They couldn't identify the remains. A terrible tragedy to say the very least. 2.gif

well, you have to drive down the main road then take a left on the little bridge to get up that hill..and yep it's on the left, I heard that originally, the main monument and the 13 graves that are around it were set up in the shape of a sun dial..it's a sad reminder of a tragic Binghamton event.

Guest Guest

OP here - thanks for the help. I had found all the available online stuff, including the NYC Triangle fire. Not a lot of info to be had on the Bing fire, including lots of variation on number of deaths.

I'm going to try to find someone to go and take a photo of the memorial. Thanks again.

OP here - thanks for the help. I had found all the available online stuff, including the NYC Triangle fire. Not a lot of info to be had on the Bing fire, including lots of variation on number of deaths.

I'm going to try to find someone to go and take a photo of the memorial. Thanks again.

I went there on a geocache once.I'll link you to the page that has the exact GPS coordinates to the monument, but you have to log in (it's free and fast) to get them.

Guest Guest

Thanks to all...Today I got a photo of the memorial. It's quite impressive!

Also, thanks for the info on caching - I'm going to try that once I get GPS straightened out.

Thanks again!

Archived