Would you send your kid to SV?

Guest SV?

I am tempted on moving from JC to the town of Binghamton. My main concern is the SV school district. Would you or wouldn't you send your kid there? Explain.

Guest Guest

SV is a pretty good district. Similar to JC in that there are lots of very poor kids, along with plenty of very rich (South Mt, etc) kids. It's considered a suburban district. The superintendent is pretty decent, taxes not too bad, but a potential time bomb when all the flood re-assessment hits next year.

Guest Guest
SV is a pretty good district. Similar to JC in that there are lots of very poor kids, along with plenty of very rich (South Mt, etc) kids. It's considered a suburban district. The superintendent is pretty decent, taxes not too bad, but a potential time bomb when all the flood re-assessment hits next year.

Thanks for an honest post :D

Guest Schuster
I am tempted on moving from JC to the town of Binghamton. My main concern is the SV school district. Would you or wouldn't you send your kid there? Explain.

NO

Guest Guest
ue is your best choice, especially if your kids in sports

I your kid is in football, yes to ue...other than that their sports suck...for boys that is...their girl sports are good. For academics, Vestal or ME. Also a lot less negative influences in those 2 districts

Guest Guest
I your kid is in football, yes to ue...other than that their sports suck...for boys that is...their girl sports are good. For academics, Vestal or ME. Also a lot less negative influences in those 2 districts

Soccer and Academics is what I'm looking for

Guest Guesto1

For academics, Vestal or ME. Also a lot less negative influences in those 2 districts

I don't quite get this response.... but hey whatever. And NO my kids don't go to SV but I do think it is a good school.

Hey.... let's face it. ALL schools have their problems. All schools have rich and poor kids. They did when I went to school,

they did when you went to school and they do now. I do know one family that had kids that went to Vestal.

They liked the school but it was very hard for kids to make the teams. There are soooo many kids wanting to play soccer

and they only take about 14 on the high school teams. It is also very hard to keep up with the jones.... there are very rich

kids that go there and kids try to keep up with other kids. I'm sure you will make the right decision.... Just stay an involved

parent and your kids will do fine.

For academics, Vestal or ME. Also a lot less negative influences in those 2 districts

I don't quite get this response.... but hey whatever. And NO my kids don't go to SV but I do think it is a good school.

Hey.... let's face it. ALL schools have their problems. All schools have rich and poor kids. They did when I went to school,

they did when you went to school and they do now. I do know one family that had kids that went to Vestal.

They liked the school but it was very hard for kids to make the teams. There are soooo many kids wanting to play soccer

and they only take about 14 on the high school teams. It is also very hard to keep up with the jones.... there are very rich

kids that go there and kids try to keep up with other kids. I'm sure you will make the right decision.... Just stay an involved

parent and your kids will do fine.

vestal had at least 20 on their boys soccer varsity

it is harder to make that team than most hs soccer teams

jc has a very good soccer program right now with a very good coach who will be there for a while. he lives in jc and his kids go there

Guest Guest

Every school has it's pluses and minuses. One thing all schools have is the politics in sports. If mommoy or daddy or big bro or sis made a sport team than it is assumed that you are just as good. The kis makes the team without even trying out!! As for academics they pretty much have equal programs. You get out what you put in. All schools have rich and poor, it is just more noticeable in some schools. Vestal has alot of very rich schools. Pretty soon though with this economy we weill all be poor. Move where you feel comfortable raising a family.

i have heard that it is very "click-y" in the high school. If you your kids are not young enough to get in before high school, before the clicks start - they probably will never have many friends. A friend of mine experienced this with her daughter. At her other schools, she was always most popular, on court, ect.. then they moved there and she was an outcast for the last 2 years of her high school career. Im not saying that this WILL happen to your daughter, maybe she will be better at making friends. You never know.

Guest SV grad

I've lived in the Town of Binghamton my entire life. My parents both graduated from SV, my wife and I graduated from SV, and our children are currently SV students (Brookside and the Middle School).

Academics: After graduating Salutatorian from SV, I went to Cornell University, spent 7 consecutive semesters on the Dean's list, graduated with honors and started a successful business based in Binghamton.

Soccer: Played SV soccer from 7th thru 12th grade, played in a trip to Europe w/ varsity coach, captained intramural team at Cornell, coached SRU soccer club after graduating. Al Mydlinski was my varsity coach at SV and he's still coaching there today (even though my kids play tennis and have no interest in soccer).

We are currently building a new house in the Town of Binghamton as we wouldn't even consider leaving the district. I feel I've done pretty well and SV's had a lot to do with it. Feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Guest Guest

KIDS ON SOUTH MT. GO TO BINGHAMTON.......LAURIEBROOK E. HAMTON, CYNTHIA DR, etc.

To answer your original question, "Would I send my kid to SV?" The answer is yes. I did. My 3 went to SV. Two are now attorneys and the other is now in her last year of residency as a MD. The staff at SV care about the students.

Congrats....you and your wife did a good job! Time to settle back and reap the rewards for your effort. I'm getting close myself. My two oldest graduated from Boston U. One is a school teacher, his sister is doing graduate work at Binghamton U. My twelve year old wants to move to Los Angeles and be an actress. She pretty much lives at EPAC. Go figure!

Guest Guest
KIDS ON SOUTH MT. GO TO BINGHAMTON.......LAURIEBROOK E. HAMTON, CYNTHIA DR, etc.

No. Not all. It's called a "common school district." You can choose SV or Binghamton....

Archived