Press Circulation Customer Service Now Operates from Kentucky

Couch Potato

This morning I had the misfortune of receiving an incomplete paper (yeah, I know, I should just be thankful that I received anything at all). I was missing the Comics, USA Weekend, and the TV Weekly.

So, I call Circulation and, after navigating their high falutin' voice-recognition menu system, found myself on a terrible connection with a person who was having difficulty hearing and spoke a non-local dialect. There was also a lot of background noise/interference. After three attempts to convey what I was missing, I asked the person where she was located, and she said that she was in Kentucky.

Finally, she got it right and said that the missing parts of the paper would be delivered later this morning (we'll see).

So much for "hiring local". Especially because the quality of customer service is suffering (poor phone connection, a person working in a "boiler room" environment, person not familiar at all with what our local paper contains [or is supposed to contain], as well as a person who apparently has difficulty hearing and is hard to understand because she does speak our local dialect), this is especially disappointing. I realize that, with the new printing operation in Johnson City, our so-called Greater Binghamton Community experiences a net gain in Gannett system jobs, but it's just plain sad that the Press needs to go all the way to Kentucky for its Circulation call-center instead of keeping this service local in New York's Southern Tier. I believe a localy-based customer-service rep. would do a better job and be more productive/accountable.

Ironically, a nearly full-page article by former reporter Brian Liberatore (now of the Fort Myers, Florida area) appears on the business page regarding goals for the soon-to-be former Regency Hotel and Convention Center. I hope that this is not the next trend -- local stories and editorials being written remotely by out-of-town reporters/editors who have no idea what our community is about.

Guest Guest

Yes Gannett has your local calls transferred to a Centralized call center in Kentucky. A lot of Advertisement production in the local P&SB is being outsourced to India, also many pressconnects online Ads being done in India. Gannett the once wealthy and powerful newspaper chain which owns the Press & Sun-Bulletin, Elmira Star Gazzette, and Ithaca Journal is hurting badly. Gannett stock has dropped from a high of $86/share to it's currentt $28/share.

Yes Gannett has your local calls transferred to a Centralized call center in Kentucky. A lot of Advertisement production in the local P&SB is being outsourced to India, also many pressconnects online Ads being done in India. Gannett the once wealthy and powerful newspaper chain which owns the Press & Sun-Bulletin, Elmira Star Gazzette, and Ithaca Journal is hurting badly. Gannett stock has dropped from a high of $86/share to it's currentt $28/share.

Now that explains why the news reporting is so bad and WHY THE PSB REPORTERS are here at BCV getting late breaking news all the time

Archived