Empty mall storefronts

Guest Shopper

Guest Shopper

I was at the mall the other day and noticed that all the storefronts from CVS to Macy's were empty (not to mention the recently emptied Lane Bryant storefront across from CVS). I've never seen so many empty storefronts there at once, especially all in a row like that. :blink: Has anyone heard of any plans for those storefronts? It's sad seeing them like that.

I was at the mall the other day and noticed that all the storefronts from CVS to Macy's were empty (not to mention the recently emptied Lane Bryant storefront across from CVS). I've never seen so many empty storefronts there at once, especially all in a row like that. :blink: Has anyone heard of any plans for those storefronts? It's sad seeing them like that.

I heard that a Borders was going in that area. Don't know if it's true or not, so don't hold me to it. That's just what I heard from some of my neighbors.

Guest GuestJC

I have been told that a Borders will be going in from where CVS is and go down to Macy's. CVS will be closing in June. That sucks for the people in the mall because now there will be no where to go and grab drinks, snacks, food, etc. in the mall. People should be taking with the mall managers and see what they are going to do! Which I am sure will be nothing. Many of us who work in the mall are not very happy about this.

Guest HateTheMall
I have been told that a Borders will be going in from where CVS is and go down to Macy's. CVS will be closing in June. That sucks for the people in the mall because now there will be no where to go and grab drinks, snacks, food, etc. in the mall. People should be taking with the mall managers and see what they are going to do! Which I am sure will be nothing. Many of us who work in the mall are not very happy about this.

The intention is for Borders to occupy the spaces between Macy's & CVS. The reality is though, Borders HAS NOT signed a lease yet. In addition, Walden Book (also owned by Borders) recently reupped their lease, which has some of us believing, Borders has NO intentions of coming to the Oakdale Mall.

I don't understand why Borders wouldn't want to come to the Oakdale Mall. The mall has such a great food court and state of the art cinemas. Oh and don't forget the upscale shoppers and no handcream carts. ;)

@

Put a SHONEY'S in the Mall. It would knock the rest of the eating establishments for a loop.

Guest Guest

If they don't get a food court, the Mall's future is in jeopardy. I haven't been there in a couple of years and that's what brings people in. I go to many malls around a 3 or 4 state area and they are packed. The food courts bring them in. Here, they are relying on Channel 34 news to bring in people....very sad.

Guest Guest
I heard that a Borders was going in that area. Don't know if it's true or not, so don't hold me to it. That's just what I heard from some of my neighbors.

I just read on CNN the other day that the borders chain was slowing going out of business.

@

Guest Guest
I just read on CNN the other day that the borders chain was slowing going out of business.

@

Borders is the 2nd largest book chain in the US, it's not going out of business. in March they announced it would scale down the number of Waldenbooks outlets it had by half, to about 300, in the next year.

@

Guest Guest
Put a SHONEY'S in the Mall. It would knock the rest of the eating establishments for a loop.

Now THAT'S funny! Surely the poster is jesting.

@

Guest Guest
Now THAT'S funny! Surely the poster is jesting.

@

Nope, the poster is serious. tbrutis1 has a Shoney's fetish. Pretty scary.

@

Guest Shopper

I hope they do put in a Borders! Though I love Barnes & Noble, it would be nice to have an alternative. Plus, there aren't any good "hang out" places in the mall. There's no food court, and the only bookstore (Waldenbooks) is too small to spend much time in. A Borders would provide a coffee place and more seating.

That is too bad about CVS. :( That has been there as far as I remember. The mall needs a general purpose store like that, so why it's leaving I'm not sure. Maybe the rent is too high?

I'll keep my fingers crossed about the Borders...I've been dying to have one in this area for years. Plus, it will really fill up that empty area in the mall.

Guest Guest
Nope, the poster is serious. tbrutis1 has a Shoney's fetish. Pretty scary.

@

Being a male I gotta say all the mall caters to is womens clothes and shoes. My wife drags me in there once every two years and all I want to do is break and run. Maybe, just maybe if there was something for men? Nope not gonna happen.

Guest guest
Being a male I gotta say all the mall caters to is womens clothes and shoes. My wife drags me in there once every two years and all I want to do is break and run. Maybe, just maybe if there was something for men? Nope not gonna happen.

Our mall is such a joke. It does need a food court and some good reasonably priced clothing stores. I miss having a store like Bradleys that had alittle bit of everything. I hear that the mall rent is really high and that is why there are so many empty places.

@

Guest Guest

There used to be a few good mens' stores, back in the 80's and early 90's.

My guess is that when we lost a lot of our professionals when the good paying jobs left town, the stores had to close for lack of business.

@

Guest Guest

Hmmm I wonder how much expansion borders will be doing now that it is up for sale? they aren't fairing well agains B&N.

Guest Guest
There used to be a few good mens' stores, back in the 80's and early 90's.

My guess is that when we lost a lot of our professionals when the good paying jobs left town, the stores had to close for lack of business.

@

I think it is the Vestal parkway that has been the bane of the mall. There are good mens stores on the parkway... Joseph A Bank and the Mens Wearhouse. Kohls, target, old navy take just enough customers from the mall to make a big difference.

The town square mall was the downfall of the oakdale mall

Guest Guest
I hope they do put in a Borders! Though I love Barnes & Noble, it would be nice to have an alternative. Plus, there aren't any good "hang out" places in the mall. There's no food court, and the only bookstore (Waldenbooks) is too small to spend much time in. A Borders would provide a coffee place and more seating.

That is too bad about CVS. :( That has been there as far as I remember. The mall needs a general purpose store like that, so why it's leaving I'm not sure. Maybe the rent is too high?

I'll keep my fingers crossed about the Borders...I've been dying to have one in this area for years. Plus, it will really fill up that empty area in the mall.

It doesnt have a pharmacy and there are drink vending machines all over. It seems they cater to mall employees on break. It is probably going to end up a dead mall, they are popping up all over america... if sears or macy's closed it would struggle to survive. A food court? Mcdonals couldn't even survive.

I wonder what the affects will be from the Destiny USA project in Syracuse (Carousel mall) will be on the mall and if this area will see any trickle down. I bet that Cortland will benefit greatly.

@

Guest Guest-Facts Are Better-*
It doesnt have a pharmacy and there are drink vending machines all over. It seems they cater to mall employees on break. It is probably going to end up a dead mall, they are popping up all over america... if sears or macy's closed it would struggle to survive. A food court? Mcdonals couldn't even survive.

I wonder what the affects will be from the Destiny USA project in Syracuse (Carousel mall) will be on the mall and if this area will see any trickle down. I bet that Cortland will benefit greatly.

DestiNY USA should be a great impact to the Central NY area. Will it trickle down to here... traffic on I-81 will increase for sure. The gas stations and maybe the fast food locations will get a boost since most trucks/SUVs from LI and NY City will need to fill up in the area... cars would most probably be able to make it the whole way up to Syracuse.

If Broome and Binghamton make sure those traveling 81 see a nice looking area as they pass through... and market our festivals & other events both at the mall and in the NY Metro area as a place to go on top of Syracuse... people will stop and maybe come back just for this area.

In regard to the Oakdale Mall... it is far from being a dead mall. It is about 90% occupied. What I do find odd, is that their customer service desk is in the main office down a thin hallway. Current malls should always have a customer service counter to sell gift certificates and offer information. Malls smaller than Oakdale have them. Most malls also have food courts now... no matter how big or small.

Art and Nancy have been there for many years and just do what has always been done. It doesn't seem like they try new promotions... and some of the contracts they agree with are different. Like to get Burlington Coat Factory to the old Bradlees spot, they had to agree to not allow a theater of any kind reopen in the triple-plex there. Burlington didn't want cars that would be sitting there from theater patrons to take away from possible spots for their customers.

Guest Guest-Facts Are Better-*

Oh... and Borders is not going out of business. It is looking for a buyer. Also, they are opening new stores with new concepts. Here is a news story about one they are opening in Las Vegas on Fox Business Channel.

I think Borders is better than Barnes & Noble... so would definitely welcome them.

Guest Guest

@

Remember, the Carousel Mall was supposed to be buit on Upper Front street but the people shot it down. What a huge mistake that was.

Archived