Empty mall storefronts

Guest Shopper

I have been told that a Borders will be going in from where CVS is and go down to Macy's. CVS will be closing in June. That sucks for the people in the mall because now there will be no where to go and grab drinks, snacks, food, etc. in the mall. People should be taking with the mall managers and see what they are going to do! Which I am sure will be nothing. Many of us who work in the mall are not very happy about this.

I love borders the mall needs one . its better than barns and nobles.

I agree with provious post this mall is large enough to add a upper loft with food court and put customer service in middle of mall. but most of all why not renovate the old vacant movie theater and bring movies back. we are wasting a great opprotunity this mall is large for the area but evreything goes to vestal.

Guest Guest
I agree with provious post this mall is large enough to add a upper loft with food court and put customer service in middle of mall. but most of all why not renovate the old vacant movie theater and bring movies back. we are wasting a great opprotunity this mall is large for the area but evreything goes to vestal.

They closed the theater for lack of business.

How would you get people to go back there?

Guest Guest

Face it, the mall lost out because it allows kids and less desireable people to hang out there. Every Friday and Saturday evening, it si the same story up there. The only good time to go there is daytime and since most people work the mall's potential to increase traffic is negligible.

Clean out the teenagers and undesireables and maybe the mall can recover. Otherwise, it is only going to get worse.

@

Guest Shopper
Art and Nancy have been there for many years and just do what has always been done. It doesn't seem like they try new promotions... and some of the contracts they agree with are different. Like to get Burlington Coat Factory to the old Bradlees spot, they had to agree to not allow a theater of any kind reopen in the triple-plex there. Burlington didn't want cars that would be sitting there from theater patrons to take away from possible spots for their customers.

Sounds like the mall management needs some fresh blood. This happens to a lot of companies where the same people have been in charge for 20+ years. They like same old, same old, and nothing progresses.

Also, in this day of multiplexes, I highly doubt the mall theater will reopen. It only has 3 theaters - definitely not up to modern standards. I recommend just selling it off as retail space.

@

Guest Guest-Facts Are Better-*
Remember, the Carousel Mall was supposed to be buit on Upper Front street but the people shot it down. What a huge mistake that was.

The mall you are thinking about was to be a mall with a carousel looking over the river... It was not going to be the Carousel Center which was already being planned in Syracuse by Pyramid.

The mall here was to run along the Chenango River and over to Washington St from North Shore (The old Henneken's lot) to Court St (The old JC Penney, current Red Cross building). There were going to be various walkways from the mall. One to Boscov's, one to the Holiday Inn, and one to the Arena's outside deck. which was going to fund part of it as they did with the Mall @ Steamtown in Scranton.

The developer that Mayor Crabb was working it stopped communicating with the city... basically disappeared. When that happened, Al Boscov decided to take away his offer... and not work with any other developer.

Also, around the same time, Newman started talks for a mall at the V Drive-In. It was to be an enclosed mall... square in shape, with parking all around. However, it was at the turning point in retail. Big boxes were just coming up as the most popular type of establishment, so they went strip mall instead.

If either of the other enclosed malls were built, I would say the Oakdale Mall would have become a dead mall... and/or one of the new ones.

Guest employment counselor

you should definitley be an economic consultant. who else would think to bring back the same business that failed in the exact same spot? i'm sure businessmen will be lined up to get a shot at the outdated and failed movie theaters. then they can get a $8 pretzel and head down to hot topic to see the clerks with 300 piercings waiting on all the "goth" people. don't quit your day job.

Guest guest

Was At the mall last night with my son trying to find shoes and all we saw was goth kids running around acting like fools and wanna be gangsters acting like tough guys.Where mall security was I don't know but will not be heading up there again.I am surprised that they haven't done what the Syracuse mall has as far as age limits for kids up there without parents with them

Guest Guest

If you look at the mall website you can view the proposed plan for the empty store fronts. There is a plan to put Border's near Macy's and a food court where the old theater is.

@

If you look at the mall website you can view the proposed plan for the empty store fronts. There is a plan to put Border's near Macy's and a food court where the old theater is.

For those that want a direct link, here is the .pdf with the proposed locations.

http://www.oakdalemall.com/Leasing_Oakdalemap.pdf

While it is proposed, the Food Court has been in talks/proposed for about 4 years. It needs to move forward, however from what I am guessing, the mall is probably waiting for the leases of a couple of stores to expire. Those include Signore & Signori, and Fashion Nails. If that is not the case, they are missing out. Food courts are needed in current indoor malls.

I am thinking that is also happening to CVS... and the only current delay for Border's... and why the Limited Too did not remodel the old Record Town location when they moved there to make way for Abercrombie & Fitch and finish up their lease agreement. Don't understand why they didn't move to the old Tops N Bottoms and remodel... they did make money, otherwise they would have just closed and broke their lease when they were the only store holding Hollister and A & F from opening.

In any case... I am hoping both the Borders and Food Court do come to fruition. Both would be great additions to the mall.

Guest quest again
At least at Towne Square Mall you don't have survery people and the hand cream people in your face and grabbing at you.

@

YA!!! I hate that, it goes something like this........

1... you're walking by, avoiding eye contact, because you don't want to get mugged by the hand cream people

2......then you are just about to get away when

3.... they say..."EXCUSE ME, CAN I ASK YOU A QUESTION?"

I know these poor workers are trying to make a living but please STOP!!!!

Paid Oakdale Mall Pan Handlers!!!!

it once was the jewel of the triple cities. Now we got empty store fronts, hand cream pan handlers, no food court, no movies. I don't know what the answer is? The parkway seems to be thriving. So don't give me the excuse , ooo it's the economy, no jobs, waaa waaa waaa. Take a look at the townsquare, target parking lots. CircuitCity, etc. sorry it's late. that's my rant. Wait one more. The mall even lost it's dollar store!!!!

@

f.y.i

People go to the mall to shop,not to each in some cheap *** food court. are you kidding me? where are you from????????

FYI: People that go to shop at malls... and really shop, not go get their Tools and BVD's at Sears then leave... use the food court area to relax and refuel before going back out and shopping more.

What is good about a food court, is it allows people in a group to choose the food they want instead of they way it was... with Burger King down by Montgomery Ward/Kaufmann's/Macy's... Subway around near the mall office... McDonald's in center court... and Arby's by the bus stop entrance, either they split apart or someone will have to suffer at one or the other. Putting all the places in one spot with shared seating assists in keeping groups together and maybe increase sales for the businesses by giving all the patrons what they want instead of just choosing something they had to settle on because it was closest to where they were at the time.

Guest Guest
Being a male I gotta say all the mall caters to is womens clothes and shoes. My wife drags me in there once every two years and all I want to do is break and run. Maybe, just maybe if there was something for men? Nope not gonna happen.

I have been trying to gather ideas and interest for a man mall for several years, and would welcome any ideas of stores that would be appealing to men. So far, I've got sporting goods, power equipment, hardware (Harbor Freight), power sports, 4 wheelers and snowmobiles, what else????

@

Guest Shopper
For those that want a direct link, here is the .pdf with the proposed locations.

http://www.oakdalemall.com/Leasing_Oakdalemap.pdf

While it is proposed, the Food Court has been in talks/proposed for about 4 years. It needs to move forward, however from what I am guessing, the mall is probably waiting for the leases of a couple of stores to expire. Those include Signore & Signori, and Fashion Nails. If that is not the case, they are missing out. Food courts are needed in current indoor malls.

I am thinking that is also happening to CVS... and the only current delay for Border's... and why the Limited Too did not remodel the old Record Town location when they moved there to make way for Abercrombie & Fitch and finish up their lease agreement. Don't understand why they didn't move to the old Tops N Bottoms and remodel... they did make money, otherwise they would have just closed and broke their lease when they were the only store holding Hollister and A & F from opening.

In any case... I am hoping both the Borders and Food Court do come to fruition. Both would be great additions to the mall.

Thanks for the link to the site plan! I had no idea that was even on the web site. I agree with you...a Borders and a food court would really help revitalize the mall. Borders will be a destination store attracting an older, more upscale clientele, while a food court will create more of a community atmosphere, encouraging people to stay longer and hopefully shop more.

Guest Shopper
Was At the mall last night with my son trying to find shoes and all we saw was goth kids running around acting like fools and wanna be gangsters acting like tough guys.Where mall security was I don't know but will not be heading up there again.I am surprised that they haven't done what the Syracuse mall has as far as age limits for kids up there without parents with them

I agree with you about enforcing an age limit, although I think a lot of those "goth kids" and "wanna be gangsters" are actually over 18, so the law wouldn't apply to them. If you shop there during the day (even on a weekend), you'll see more families with kids and older people, and less obnoxious teens and 20-somethings. Also, most of the stores in the mall now cater to the younger crowd, so that's who you'll see there most often.

Guest Guest
I heard that a Borders was going in that area. Don't know if it's true or not, so don't hold me to it. That's just what I heard from some of my neighbors.
would be VERY SURPRISED- they are having financial difficulty.

@

Archived