People on Salary

Guest Concerned worker

Guest Concerned worker

Your opinion:

Should people that get paid a salary have to "clock in"? It amazes me that people that are paid hourly have to keep strict time sheets and make up time if they are late or have to leave early. But someone on salary has the luxury of coming and going as he/she pleases. The double standards just KILL me. Just need to vent!!!!

Guest Guest

I don't think so.

When you work overtime (extra hours) you get paid time and a half, Salary people get nothing extra. Also, as a general rule, salary people have a lot more responsiblity and have "authority" for one or more areas within the company, then those on the clock. You might only see a person on salary once in a while, but have no idea about the work they do for the company, compaired to what you do.

Nope, not at all. If you want equal, try starting early and working late and not getting anything "extra" for it.

Guest Guest
Your opinion:

Should people that get paid a salary have to "clock in"? It amazes me that people that are paid hourly have to keep strict time sheets and make up time if they are late or have to leave early. But someone on salary has the luxury of coming and going as he/she pleases. The double standards just KILL me. Just need to vent!!!!

People on salary don't clock in and out because they put in way more hours than 40 a week. They work from home, at night and on weekends if necessary. Vent all you want but when you put in the hours many salary workers do, you would not like "per hour" pay you receive!

Guest billy m
Your opinion:

Jealous are we? I think so.

Guest Concerned worker

No they don't work extra, home, here or elsewhere!!! Trust me. I am not allowed to come in early or work late, it is not allowed. No overtime!!

Guest Guest
No they don't work extra, home, here or elsewhere!!! Trust me. I am not allowed to come in early or work late, it is not allowed. No overtime!!

You are not only wrong about salaried people - they indeed work many extra hours outside and inside the office - but you are also bitter. That most likely explains why you are in the position you currently have.

Your opinion:

If you stopped worrying about other people and started worrying about yourself you may be successful enough one day to be promoted to a salaried position.

Just some food for thought.

Guest Guest

I would agree that under most circumstances a saleried employee has more responsibility and many more hours worked for which they do not get compensated... however, I believe the poster is saying this person does not do their job and are overly compensated for time they do not work. Sounds like there is nothing that can be done about this. Some people just take advantage of situations.

Guest Guest
I would agree that under most circumstances a saleried employee has more responsibility and many more hours worked for which they do not get compensated... however, I believe the poster is saying this person does not do their job and are overly compensated for time they do not work. Sounds like there is nothing that can be done about this. Some people just take advantage of situations.

what business is it of the clock puncher? do your job, as menial as it is, mind your own business and feel lucky that you have a job. there are countless numbers of people that can do your job. better be nice. that salary guy may replace you.

Guest Guest
what business is it of the clock puncher? do your job, as menial as it is, mind your own business and feel lucky that you have a job. there are countless numbers of people that can do your job. better be nice. that salary guy may replace you.

Actually anyone off the street could. With the way things are around here, one never knows when they could get canned and someone at a cheaper hourly rate takes their place. Yea I know who you are.

Guest Guest

My uncle & husband work at the same company. Their job is essentially the same except uncle has more years under his belt.

My uncle is on salary. For his $900.00/week he works most days M-F from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm.

My husband is paid hourly. His day starts between 7:00 & 7:30 am and ends about 5:00. He gets paid straight time no matter how many hours M-F he works. NO OVERTIME. During the summer he often works 50+ hours straight time per week. On the occassional Saturday that he works he gets time and a half, however his employer squeezes most of the work in M-F because they prefer not to pay overtime. There have been days my husband has worked 14 hours straight. It sucks.

Moral:

Not every salaried worker works a lot of hours and not every hourly worker gets paid overtime.

There are pros and cons for both salaried and hourly positions.

For a person in a salaried position, which in many companies is mostly in the Management ranks, they tend to work more hours than a standard 40 hour work week, but do not get paid over time. As an hourly employee, you get paid for every bit of time you are working, then get paid extra (usually time and a half) for any hours worked over 40.. depending on your company and type of job, being hourly could be better.

On the flip side, Salaried employees at times may have the benefit of not having to work a 40 hour work week if they can complete all the tasks and obligations of their job in a lesser amount of time. Just because a salaried worker is not putting in 40 hours per week does not mean they are not doing their job. If the person is efficient and can get all their work and such done in say 32 to 35 hours, then so be it, thats a benefit of not having to pounch a clock as hourly... But again, sometimes those same salaried folks that were about to only have to work 30 hours one week might have to put in 50 to 60 hours during other 'busier' work times, which they do not receive any extra compensation for.

Agreed with many on here, sounds to me like the OP is bitter towards one of their managers who they don't feel is towing the line, but if that manager has all their duties done and their numbers look good, then they get the benefit of getting out early.... Don't like it, work harder and work your way into that job!

My uncle & husband work at the same company. Their job is essentially the same except uncle has more years under his belt.

My uncle is on salary. For his $900.00/week he works most days M-F from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm.

My husband is paid hourly. His day starts between 7:00 & 7:30 am and ends about 5:00. He gets paid straight time no matter how many hours M-F he works. NO OVERTIME. During the summer he often works 50+ hours straight time per week. On the occassional Saturday that he works he gets time and a half, however his employer squeezes most of the work in M-F because they prefer not to pay overtime. There have been days my husband has worked 14 hours straight. It sucks.

Moral:

Not every salaried worker works a lot of hours and not every hourly worker gets paid overtime.

I don't know what company your husband works for, but it sounds like he is getting screwed. I think it is illegal to work him over 40hrs. per week and not pay overtime unless he is being compensated some other way such as paid time off awarded for the extra hrs. worked.

Guest Guest
I don't know what company your husband works for, but it sounds like he is getting screwed. I think it is illegal to work him over 40hrs. per week and not pay overtime unless he is being compensated some other way such as paid time off awarded for the extra hrs. worked.

He's worked at the same company for a handful of years and their policy has always been the same. He gets no other perks. We were discussing how we felt that he should earn overtime lastnight...right after he got home from putting 12.5 hours in. He wouldn't hate his job so much if he got overtime or perks for all the extra hours that's for sure.

I think I'm going to google NYS labor law now because you've got me curious as to whether or not it's legal.

Guest Guest
He's worked at the same company for a handful of years and their policy has always been the same. He gets no other perks. We were discussing how we felt that he should earn overtime lastnight...right after he got home from putting 12.5 hours in. He wouldn't hate his job so much if he got overtime or perks for all the extra hours that's for sure.

I think I'm going to google NYS labor law now because you've got me curious as to whether or not it's legal.

It is illegal to not pay overtime for more than 40 hours in a pay week and has been for some time.

Guest Guest

It may not be illegal to work more than 40 hrs in a week and not collect OT.

It all depends on how the companies work week-pay scale is set up. For example...

I manage a company and have people that work a 80 hr (2 week) pay period. If they work 60 hrs in the first week, we only allow them to work 20 hrs the next week, so as to not pay the OT.

It's a bunch of crap and not fair in my opinion, but I have no say in the situation! Sorry, it sucks, but it's legal.

The secret is, if you already worked the 40 hrs in the first week of the pay period, suck up the OT the next week!! If it's the first week of the period, tell 'em to go suck tomatoe seeds.

Guest Guest
I don't think so.

When you work overtime (extra hours) you get paid time and a half, Salary people get nothing extra. Also, as a general rule, salary people have a lot more responsiblity and have "authority" for one or more areas within the company, then those on the clock. You might only see a person on salary once in a while, but have no idea about the work they do for the company, compaired to what you do.

Nope, not at all. If you want equal, try starting early and working late and not getting anything "extra" for it.

Oh,you mean like school teachers? They work all the time and only get paid for 8 months.

Guest Guest

Lets consider city,county,state and federal workers with 8-4 jobs How much overtime do you think they do? I agree with the OP Salaried workers should keep time sheets They should be able to use comp time to make up the difference for coming in early or staying late, however they want to figure it out, they should at least be working the 40 hours a week their co workers work

Guest Guest
Your opinion:

Don't care either way......hope you had a nice vent.

Guest Guest

I am a salaried employee and always have to work more than 40 hours a week. Not one week has ever gone by that I have worked fewer than 40 hours. Not one! I also have to work from home on the weekends fairly often.

Working extra for nothing is expected, if a person does not they are not even considered for a raise, bonus, or promotion.

Guest IT guy

Moral:

Hourly workers who don't get paid overtime are victims of a crime in NYS....... check the NYS DOL web pages

I am a salaried employee and always have to work more than 40 hours a week. Not one week has ever gone by that I have worked fewer than 40 hours. Not one! I also have to work from home on the weekends fairly often.

Working extra for nothing is expected, if a person does not they are not even considered for a raise, bonus, or promotion.

I've been salaried for years....it's nothing to write home about. Many long hours, early mornings...some late night projects well after midnight, as well as weekends. A lot of times, I'll post on here just to break the tension. Nothing worse than Sunday night trying to go to sleep, knowing that Monday morning is about to arrive. Plenty of nights with no sleep.

@

Archived