Here is a question

Guest Guest

Guest Reddi Kilowatt

I've heard using the A/C uses more gas, but then I've heard having the window's down creates more wind resistance, so therefore you use more gas....best way to find out I suppose is do an experiment between the two, and see which one is true....

Guest Guest

Did it occur to any of you to just try driving a set distance with no ac and the windows up to obtain a baseline m.p.g. then go the same distance with the ac on and again with ac off and the windows down?

Let me break it down for you.

Example: You go 30 miles and determine that your m.p.g. is 27, with ac on it is 26, with ac off and windows down it is 24.

Your answer will be right there in front of you.

Oh yeah, make sure the roads you travel are the same. Dont run your first test in the city and then your last two on the highway. For best results run your test on the highway.

Do you use MORE gas with the ac on or the windows down and the ac off?

I have a question too. If a tree falls in the middle of the woods and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

@

Guest Guest
I have a question too. If a tree falls in the middle of the woods and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

@

No, it doesnt. It is kinda like the mute button on the TV.

@

Guest too ft putt

Mythbusters actually ran this experiment during their first season. In typical fashion, they ran a controlled experiment with identical vehicles on a closed race track traveling at the same rate of speed. In their test, they got marginally better gas mileage with the windows down. If memory serves, they were running at 30-40mph. I would imagine that if they were running at highway speeds (65-75mph) the drag would be considerably higher and the AC might produce better mileage. In my opinion, any savings would be insignificant so run that AC if you've got it.

Do you use MORE gas with the ac on or the windows down and the ac off?

I asked this question to a car-guru friend of mine, and he said that it doesn't really matter. The variance with it on, as opposed to off, is marginal at best; however, most cars have two settings for A/C: [1] A/C and [2] Max A/C. the latter of the two settings actually utilizes more gas than the first. Still, it is marginal.

Guest Guest

Well, when you run the AC, you cause your engine to run at a higher idle. For those of you who have a 4 or 6 cyl engine, you'll notice it when you step on the gas and the horsepower does not seem to be there.

When you run with the AC off, your horsepower is there, but like stated, with windows open it creates a drag which uses up horsepower causing more gas to be used. This is why you will see people with a pick up truck driving the highway with their tailgate in the down position, less drag more horsepower less gas used.

The thing we noticed last year is after installing those plastic window vents, and having the windows cracked to the lower part of the vent, we get a better air flow and no drag.

AC is nice, but around here in Broome and surrounding counties, you use it what, maybe 6 or 7 times a year when it gets really hot. It all depends on the person, driving habits and what zone you feel good in with the air around you.

Archived