getting tenants out

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

i need help. my tenants have been in their apt since mid dec. and have yet to pay the rent on time. they also stuck me with an $800 nyseg bill (never changed into their name) which i just finally collected from them. i want them out. they have a million excuses....they've done shady things...like had additional ppl on mailbox who didn't live there but couldn't explain why. it's been long and drawn out and the bottom line is, i just want them out. i felt sorry for them at first (first mistake) and then gave them the benefit of the doubt (second mistake) and now every time the 1st of the month comes, i get sick to my stomach b/c i know i am going to have to deal with them. they have a six month lease, but have voiced the desire to move "once school year is over" how can i get them out (legally) next month?

Guest Guest
i need help. my tenants have been in their apt since mid dec. and have yet to pay the rent on time. they also stuck me with an $800 nyseg bill (never changed into their name) which i just finally collected from them. i want them out. they have a million excuses....they've done shady things...like had additional ppl on mailbox who didn't live there but couldn't explain why. it's been long and drawn out and the bottom line is, i just want them out. i felt sorry for them at first (first mistake) and then gave them the benefit of the doubt (second mistake) and now every time the 1st of the month comes, i get sick to my stomach b/c i know i am going to have to deal with them. they have a six month lease, but have voiced the desire to move "once school year is over" how can i get them out (legally) next month?

Any decent lawyer can get someone out of a lease, whether it is the tennant or landlord. Maybe it is time to contact a lawyer and learn your legal rights and responsiblites as a landlord, which may help you out in future circumstnaces.

Guest Guest

I'm not a landlord but I would ask them first, then proceed with eviction procedings -- Good luck though if thier rent is paid up.

Guest Guest

It's called eviction. It is a legal process that you can file yourself by obtaining the necessary paperwork from the Court. I must suggest the following however. The fact that you have no knowledge of these and other processes basic to renting property indicate that you are a poor landlord and entered into the proposition with inadequate preparation, likely seeking a quick buck.

@

Well if it says in the lease agreement that the rent was to be paid on a certain date and is not then that has voided the lease agreement. Then I would give them a 72 hour pay or quit notice and then proceed with an eviction

You can serve them a "30 Day Notice", which means they have 30 days from the first of the following month to get out, regardless of whether they pay or not. I had to do this to remove some undesirables from my building. They thought because they did pay their rent on time, it gave them the license to make everyone else's life hell. I was able to do this through the help of a lawyer. It was costly, but well worth it in the end. Good luck!

@

Desperate times call for desperate measures. You must make them believe that you are crazier than they obviously are. You must immediately remove all of the doors to their apartment for repairs. If that fails to get their attention then move on to my patented 9mm eviction. That one has never failed me. Good luck to you.

@

Guest Guest

Do not listen to the moron who told you to remove doors. This is a safety hazard and they would own you in court for doing this. And if you believe that a person would draw a 9mm on tennants then you deserve the problems you have. The other poster was correct. You should have a date for payment of rent on the lease. This will get you out of honoring the lease if they have failed to pay the rent on time each month.

@

Go to the Broome County building on Hawley and get theinformation needed for an eviction. There is a process when done right, works.

The one thing I shall tell you it will get them out, but forget getting your money, the courts go for the deadbeats. BE careful of the 3 day scam after they have been served, they know in order to throw them out they can sit there until you have to get the sheriff another nice easy scalping money the sheriff gets it's hefty too.

Heres the kicker if they don't want to move their furniture when the sheriff comes, they don't have to you do, and it has to be kept in a dry place for thirty days before you can dump it.

The deadbeats know the system and the courts do nothing for the landlord but screw them.

It's the only way in town to handle them or it can come back to haunt you if you just try and throw them and their stuff out.

If your tenants violate the provisions in the lease, you can evict. Can't afford lawyer call the office of the Attorney General for info.

Guest Guest

THANKS for all of the advise...

Hunter, you cracked me up, it was nice to laugh about the situation for once.

Many of you have been very helpful I admit I do not know everything about being a landlord, but have found it to be a ongoing learning process. I tried signing up for classes on, "how to know everything about being a landlord before you ever are one" but unfortunately the class does not exist.

I want to assure the poster who thought i was "in it to make a quick buck", that there isn't any fast money in this type of property management. I got into this business because I am a stay-at-home Mom who is going to need retirement money and to pay for my children's college someday. I am hoping to pay this INVESTMENT off in twenty or so short years and then use that money to live on in the future. Minus, of course, all of the repairs and maintenance that are forever and ongoing, as well.

thanks again, to all who have offered sound advice.

Guest Bobby Baja

if i was you, i would hire an "tenant/landlord" attorney. even if you buy an hour of their time, it will be money well spent. tenants' rights are protected. it you attempt to do an eviction on your own and make a mistake, it will reset the eviction clock. the rights are all in the favor of the tenant. don't screw around, go get an attorney and start the process. but you must follow the procedure to the letter. screw up once, and they'll be living there another six months. oh, they'll owe you while they stay there, but then again, if they are losers who won't pay their rent, they probably don't have a boot to pi$$ into. just don't screw up or you'll be bummin. fyi. ---

Guest Guest
The obvious thing to do is raise the rent.

Make it so high that they have no other choice but to move.

I don't think the cost of the rent matters with people like the OP's tenants...they just take longer to pay, eventually don't pay at all and it just takes longer to get rid of them.

Good luck OP. It seems like the tenants are the ones with all the rights in these situations.

Guest Mickey

If the tenants break the provisions of the Lease? Not paying rent will do it, what does that mean, all advice mentioned still is the only way to do it.

You can lawyer up all you want the end result is the same only now you have lawyer fee plus no rent.

Good luck lady these things pay off long into the ownership and the hopefully you will find a steady, honest, peaceful tenant long term.

ALWAYS GET REFERENCES AND DEPOSIT that way if you have to evict you have some money from the deposit to pay for the lost month.

Archived