TMJ

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

anybody have an issue with their TMJ before? Went to sleep last night fine....woke up with a horribly swollen and painful area on the corner of my jaw. What do you do?

I had an flare up of this in the 80's...went to Dr Grant multiple times for a mouthguard and exercises to loosen the muscles that were clenched, and it went away.

Just had a minor flare-up for the 1st time since last Autumn, and it seems to have gone away, thankfully.

It is not fun.

BTW, are you sure that's what you actually have?

Funny because my daughter was just today diagnoised (sp) with this, which was why I had the info at my fingertips. I know how much pain she is in, so I am really sorry you are going through it.

Have you tried any cold compresses?

@

Guest guest

For what it's worth: About 15 years ago I started experiencing pain in my jaws (but no swelling) and bad headaches. My dentist's diagnosis was TMJ disorder, said my jaw alignment was off and fitted me with an "appliance" to wear at night. It cost me about $800 (insurance wouldn't pay for it) and helped a little but not much. The jaw pain and headaches continued till finally one day it dawned on me that I had the most pain on days when I chewed gum. So I stopped the gum and "chewy" foods, and the pain immediately stopped. Cost me over $800 to figure that out. If your jaw's swollen you obviously have more going on (maybe an abscessed tooth?), but just wanted to suggest cutting out chewy food for other people to try before heading to the dentist. Good luck to you; try taking ibuprofen (if you can) to help with the inflammation and relieve the pain.

@

Guest Guest

thanks everybody. Still swollen....I don't know about the tooth thing, the swelling is at the very end of my jaw joint near the bottom of my ear. Doesn't really hurt at all, just swollen and feels weird. been taking some anti-inflammatory med, gonna give it a few days and see whats up. I feel like jamming a drill in there and just cutting it out > : (

@

Archived