Nearly 1,500 fail to pay water bills in 2007

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

We're sure it was just an oversight. These fine citizens were probably just so busy watching all of the fabulous parades and fireworks this area has to offer they forgot something as mundane as water bills.

Honest mistakes can happen to anyone.

Guest guzzler
We're sure it was just an oversight. These fine citizens were probably just so busy watching all of the fabulous parades and fireworks this area has to offer they forgot something as mundane as water bills.

Honest mistakes can happen to anyone.

We paid our bill by check but waited till the a few days before to get it in..when you live paycheck to paycheck it's gotta be that way. By the time they processed the check it was past THEIR cut off date. When we got the letter from the City regarding them shifting the bill to our taxes, they said that we paid it after the desired date. Even though we sent it on time and with enough time for them to process it, they didn't and now it looks like we are deadbeats. Which we are not. It pisses me off.

Guest Guest
Seems clear he is abiding by the rules.

The County collects the city taxes. The County will collect the taxes and the water bill.

Sounds like the City's accounting practices need help.

They are sending back good checks and rasing the rates by 67% in two years.

Typical Ryan blundering.

Add this to the "Gaffe by Daph" (Daphne Gathers' failure to complete the FEMA grant application in due time) and you begin to understand what a mess things are.

It has nothing to with rates being too low, it is has to do with mismanagemnt, the hallmark of Matthew T. Ryan's administration.

They've never sent one of my checks back.

If it were Ryan or Tarik not paying their bill and "rolling it over into their tax bills" you'd be screaming about that for months.

Tell your bosses to pay their bill.

It doesn't get any simpler than that, no matter how you try to spin it.

Guest Guest
They've never sent one of my checks back.

If it were Ryan or Tarik not paying their bill and "rolling it over into their tax bills" you'd be screaming about that for months.

Tell your bosses to pay their bill.

It doesn't get any simpler than that, no matter how you try to spin it.

Scumbags with alot of money is how I see it ..................

Guest Guest
I do have to laugh at Ed's response to this. what side of the issue would ed take if the kradjians were not listed on the deliquent water bill list? I think we all know where his stance would be. It is also extremely laughable that he would turn this into a blame the mayor or the city. Sure the citys policy is that if the water bill isn't paid, it gets rolled into the property tax to the county. It is funny how ed tries to blame the current mayor when this issue has been ongoing for years. Long before ryan took office. But I guess he has to try to delfect the spotlight somewhere and do damage control for the kradjians. However the issue is that these bills should not be rolled over and should be paid when they are due. The city does need to act and shut the water off on these properties no matter what or who they are. But ed trying to defend his employers because they are playing the system and taking more money out of the taxpayers pocket is a joke. It's bad enough that they have taken over a million dollars for the puppet theater. But now by not paying their water bill they are responsible, along with the hundreds of others, for an increase in everyones water bills. Ed before you criticize the city for raising the rates, maybe you should take a look around those you associate with.

Poptart, why are you talking about "the Kradjians" as if they all owe water bills? Clearly there are only two properties in question out of dozens and dozens and Ron Kradjian, the person in charge of those properties, has offered a clear explanation. Much larger bills were all paid on time.

Clearly the bill for 2006 was paid, the bill for 2005 was paid, the bill for 2004 was paid. All the bills are paid. Certainly the 2007 wil be paid. If you do not like the acounting methods have the County and City change them. It might tell you something that the tenant in question for the building is the County.

Furthermore these deliquencies were never mentioned as a reason for raising the water rates. A deficit of only $300,000 was supposed to the be the cause. BTW, being late on a bill doesn't mean the bill is not or will not be paid.

Obviously there are far greater problems than a one-time deficit of $300,000 which would be repaid by the latest increase in a few months.

The media should now turn their attention to the mistake made by Daphne Gathers in not filing the FEMA grant application on time.

As for the Theatre, Poptart, why are you mixing appples and orange? And certaiinly you must know there are far more than puppets performing there. Last month there were world musicians playing there.

@

Guest Guest

There is a city judge on the list.

I have to say to have it roll to property taxes is a very good idae. It then can be written off. I see no problem with that. Thanks for the tip.

Guest suewhit

I spit my coffee when I read the article couldn't wait to hear the bcv reaction to this

debacle of unpaid water bills' LET THEM DRINK BEER was the response I thought I'd hear first!

I am a lil concerned tho because of the names listed BPD temp chief, Fam court judge?

@

Poptart, why are you talking about "the Kradjians" as if they all owe water bills? Clearly there are only two properties in question out of dozens and dozens and Ron Kradjian, the person in charge of those properties, has offered a clear explanation. Much larger bills were all paid on time.

Clearly the bill for 2006 was paid, the bill for 2005 was paid, the bill for 2004 was paid. All the bills are paid. Certainly the 2007 wil be paid. If you do not like the acounting methods have the County and City change them. It might tell you something that the tenant in question for the building is the County.

Furthermore these deliquencies were never mentioned as a reason for raising the water rates. A deficit of only $300,000 was supposed to the be the cause. BTW, being late on a bill doesn't mean the bill is not or will not be paid.

Obviously there are far greater problems than a one-time deficit of $300,000 which would be repaid by the latest increase in a few months.

The media should now turn their attention to the mistake made by Daphne Gathers in not filing the FEMA grant application on time.

As for the Theatre, Poptart, why are you mixing appples and orange? And certaiinly you must know there are far more than puppets performing there. Last month there were world musicians playing there.

@

okay ed lets address this point by point.

1. yes there are many other and many larger bills that are due but between kradro and isi which the kradjians are involved in together owe almost 10k just for 2007.

2. the issue is not the 2004, 2005 and 2006 bills. the issue is your employers are deliquent in paying their current water bill. chances are they were deliquent on those too and just let it roll to the property tax and then wrote it off on taxes too.

3. if you read the article and the subsequent list of all deliquent files it adds up to about 1.4 million dollars that is owed to the city that is deliquent. You don't think that these deliquent payments are a reason for the increase? or at least a major reason.

4. the issue is not the fema payment. you are the one comparing apples to oranges my friend....if the kradjians weren't on this list, what would your reaction be. You and i both know that you would be a posting machine here and on pressconnects claiming the city wasn't doing their job and its ryans fault that these aren't paid. You are a hypocrite ed!

5. the puppet theater is another example of how the kradjians have taken money from the taxpayer. over a million dollars from state funding (not to mention the "donations" from some of your borad members to name the puppet theater after them) has been poured into that place and all we see is puppet shows and "world muscians" oh yea and naima warble some show tunes. you sit and complain about taxes yet you are associated with people who are taking money out of everyones pocket.

@

Guest Guest
All stood together???...BWAHAHAHA....Only 2 people showed up at the council mtg. to complain about the water rate increase!!

And that is only because we all come to BCVoice to complain but never get off our duffs to take action.

We've become "accept it - who cares" people and until that changes, the taxpayers who pay on time are the ones who suffer.

When will enough be enough ????

@

Guest Guest
There is a city judge on the list.

I have to say to have it roll to property taxes is a very good idae. It then can be written off. I see no problem with that. Thanks for the tip.

There is a Broome County Family Court Judge, the Honorable Peter Charnetsky, on the list of delinquents.

What city judge is on the list?

@

Guest Guest
There is a Broome County Family Court Judge, the Honorable Peter Charnetsky, on the list of delinquents.

What city judge is on the list?

@

i do not know what the position of the debtor has to do with owing a water and sewer bill. so he is a family court judge. so what. just becasue he makes his living on the public payroll does not mean he is any better or worse than anyone else. he'll pay his bill, when he has to. they are income properties, not personal residences. and just because he is a judge, does not mean he is rolling in money. he only makes $125,000. good but does not make him RICH by anyones measure. he probably struggles just like the rest of us. get your own life and then you won;t be so interested in everyone elses.

Guest Guest
i do not know what the position of the debtor has to do with owing a water and sewer bill. so he is a family court judge. so what. just becasue he makes his living on the public payroll does not mean he is any better or worse than anyone else. he'll pay his bill, when he has to. they are income properties, not personal residences. and just because he is a judge, does not mean he is rolling in money. he only makes $125,000. good but does not make him RICH by anyones measure. he probably struggles just like the rest of us. get your own life and then you won;t be so interested in everyone elses.

If a man makes $125K per year and can't afford to pay a triannual water bill, he's got way more problems than just that one bill.

He's too stoopit to be a judge if he can't do what the vast majority of city residents manage to get done without a problem.

@

Archived