Out of state driver’s license

grammy838

If your NYS license was suspended or revoked, and you go to another state, receive a valid license from that state, then return to NYS, with the other state's license, but are still suspended or revoked-- can you actually be ticketed for driving without a license? Just curious.

Guest Guest-321-*
If your NYS license was suspended or revoked, and you go to another state, receive a valid license from that state, then return to NYS, with the other state's license, but are still suspended or revoked-- can you actually be ticketed for driving without a license? Just curious.

Depends on where your permanent residence is. Also depends on if there were outstanding issues regarding your NY License - like past unpaid fines, past non appearances in Court, etc.

You can't just beat your license up in the state you live in, go to another state, get a license, come back to your home state and think everything is ok. If you move out of NY, change your license, move back to NY, change your license back. You have to have a valid license in your home (residential) state.

The reason I'm asking is this. My DH's ex had her license suspended because her registration ran out. She got alot of tickets, didn't go to court, had her license revoked too. Moved to NC, moved back to NYS, never changed her license or registration to NYS, had her car repo'd, just got another car. Now that car is registered to her in PA and she lives in Binghamton.

I'm just trying to figure out if the kids go for visitation with her, if she gets pulled over, are they going to watch her be arrested or ticketed. these kids aren't really all that secure being with her in the first place. But the judge says if they don't go, DH goes to jail.

Guest Ontario Canada?

I heard if you have an Ontario license and get pulled over by a cop in NY, the ticket will not matter and that person will not have to pay a fine or go to court. I am starting to believe that considering how fast everyone drives on our highways from Ontario. They always seem to be going at least 15 MPH over the speed limit :blink:

The reason I'm asking is this. My DH's ex had her license suspended because her registration ran out. She got alot of tickets, didn't go to court, had her license revoked too. Moved to NC, moved back to NYS, never changed her license or registration to NYS, had her car repo'd, just got another car. Now that car is registered to her in PA and she lives in Binghamton.

I'm just trying to figure out if the kids go for visitation with her, if she gets pulled over, are they going to watch her be arrested or ticketed. these kids aren't really all that secure being with her in the first place. But the judge says if they don't go, DH goes to jail.

I would assume that there is a good possibility that she can be arrested and incarcerated for the outstanding stuff in NY even if she has a license in another state. I once got a ticket in NC and it didn't affect my license in NY but I got a letter from NC DMV stating that my driving privelages in NC were suspended for 6 months because of the speeding ticket where I was ticketed for driving over 20 MPH over the speed limit. So NC revoked my driving privelages in their state for 6 months but I was able to drive anywhere else without a problem.

If not simply for the fact that you DH's ex is wreckless, probably not a good idea to just let her take the kids without finding out if she has straightened out her legal problems.

Guest Guest

Hubby has an out of state license (PA) and his NYS driving privileges were revoked due to the fact that he did not pay a $65.00 fine he got in Kirkwood about 10 years ago. His license is valid everywhere else, just not NYS. He has gotten pulled over in NYS and he was ticketed for driving while privileges suspended. The fine was quite hefty.

Guest Guest

She will go to jail ........... Maybe the kids shouldn't be riding in that car ........ :unsure:

I heard if you have an Ontario license and get pulled over by a cop in NY, the ticket will not matter and that person will not have to pay a fine or go to court. I am starting to believe that considering how fast everyone drives on our highways from Ontario. They always seem to be going at least 15 MPH over the speed limit :blink:

This is not true, I've worked for several different attys in the area and handled many speeding tickets for people in Canada. Actually, NYS has made quite a bit of money from Ontario residents.

Oh, and yes, they will arrest the ex in front of the kids, kids get taken to the station and you'll get a call to come get them.

If not simply for the fact that you DH's ex is wreckless, probably not a good idea to just let her take the kids without finding out if she has straightened out her legal problems.

Thanks BTK. She's not only wreckless, she's nuts. I just wish she would get her head out of her @ss and do right by these kids. The problem is, the judge says he has to let them go with her. If he doesn't let them go, he could go to jail.

Is there a way that we can find out if it has been cleared up or do we need to take her word for it. Because trust me- her word isn't worth the paper it's wrote on.

Guest suewhit

If this is a court ordered visit then there must be lawyers involved ask one of them, if you do not have a lawyer I would suggest you get one. North Carolina, if I remember correctly doesn't have a "reciprocy" [sp] agreement with NY

Guest jimmy b
I would assume that there is a good possibility that she can be arrested and incarcerated for the outstanding stuff in NY even if she has a license in another state. I once got a ticket in NC and it didn't affect my license in NY but I got a letter from NC DMV stating that my driving privelages in NC were suspended for 6 months because of the speeding ticket where I was ticketed for driving over 20 MPH over the speed limit. So NC revoked my driving privelages in their state for 6 months but I was able to drive anywhere else without a problem.

If you didn't speed you wouldn't have gotten a ticket :unsure: I'm just sayin'

@

Guest Guest
This is not true, I've worked for several different attys in the area and handled many speeding tickets for people in Canada. Actually, NYS has made quite a bit of money from Ontario residents.

Oh, and yes, they will arrest the ex in front of the kids, kids get taken to the station and you'll get a call to come get them.

Ha, good old Canadians, thanks for the money suckers :D

Another question. How do you get a driver's license in a state you don't live in? In the report he lives in NC but has a SC license. Along with my DH's ex- she in NY and now has a PA license.

Next question. How can you LEGALLY find out about the status of her NY license. Lawyer did try.

Another question. How do you get a driver's license in a state you don't live in? In the report he lives in NC but has a SC license. Along with my DH's ex- she in NY and now has a PA license.

Next question. How can you LEGALLY find out about the status of her NY license. Lawyer did try.

I believe all you have to do to get a license out of state is prove that you get mail at an address there. So if you knew someone who lived in another state and out your name on thier mailbox and sent yourself some mail you could get a license there. I don't think that you could personally find out her status but a lawyer should be able to contact the city that it was suspended in and get the info.

@

Guest Reddi Kilowatt

Go down to DMV, pay the $10, and get a copy of your driver's license record.

Guest Guest

Who cares? She sounds like an absolute loser.

@

Guest Guest

To get a license out of state while you lost the one from NYS is illegal. Every state asks you if you have a license when you apply and if you answer no when you did you'll have a problem. Especially if the state where you lost it informs the state where you got it from by falsifying the application.

Guest Guest four nine
Your priviledge to operate a vehicle in New York has been suspended and if stopped, will be issued a ticket--regardless of any other out of state license.

Everyone knows the battle that must be fought with the DMV, for every transaction you make. Every state's motor vehicle laws are different, but now they have something in common. Computers. And they share information.

Two examples: A friend from New Jersey had a few speeding tickets. He got a job in NY, so he got a NYS license. When he got a ticket in New York, his driving record was checked in other states. His insurance company dropped him and he had fines times fines to pay.

This happened to me. Rented a car during a vacation in Florida. Got a parking ticket and didn't pay it. Just a little parking ticket. Ha! That was in Florida, a long time ago, but a month later I got a letter form the Florida DMV. How could they find me? I had a rental car. They check!

Guest Guest

actually this is kind of the other way. cops aren't supposed to issue summons (tickets) to Canadian drivers, so if the officer wants to do something other than warn them then they are supposed to arrest them

@

Archived