Fire in JC

Guest Rookie

Guest in the know
consider this. If the Village dissolves, what happens to all the debt? Unless another gevernment bodies takes it (thye Village) over, all property owners will be responsible for that debt. Does that sound good?

@

The people on the hill do not want to pay taxes. They do not care about the people of the Village of Johnson City.

I'm all for lowering taxes but do you really think the Town of Union are NOT going to re-asses properties. Yes they will. Maybe or maybe not your taxes might be lowered. Wana take a gamble? No fire service, no DPW. oh by the way the Police, do you really think the Sheriff or the State Police are going to hire 40 Officers to cover JC? Being that JC receives half the calls the City of Binghamton does. No they will not and they have even said so. Get rid of them all, then hang on for the ride while the rich ones on the hill laugh.

Guest MARYANN GINGEL
The people on the hill do not want to pay taxes. They do not care about the people of the Village of Johnson City.

I'm all for lowering taxes but do you really think the Town of Union are NOT going to re-asses properties. Yes they will. Maybe or maybe not your taxes might be lowered. Wana take a gamble? No fire service, no DPW. oh by the way the Police, do you really think the Sheriff or the State Police are going to hire 40 Officers to cover JC? Being that JC receives half the calls the City of Binghamton does. No they will not and they have even said so. Get rid of them all, then hang on for the ride while the rich ones on the hill laugh.

I agree. JC Needs services, but they also need good management.

@

Look at services down south. Companies like Wackenhut are private companies that contract these services. I bet we might start to see this type of thing start happeming up this way. Never know.....

OMG! back to the firemen defending themselves.

Lets mjust face something. If they went to a fire, did their job in a professional manner.

Without 10 firemen getting hurt or complaining maybe no one would post about you.

The problem being they are incompetant fools at a fire.

A little less time eating and more training and maybe things would be better for everyone.

You are so stupid and misinformed, it's painful. Please move on to another message board and infect them with your ignorance.

Guest Guest

they are right . the news stated many firefighters were injured , but nothing serious.

they also did state the firemen did not want to go in because the fire was hot.

news puts them in a bad light also, but if you have seen them in action, they do resemble the keystone cops, im sorry to say.

@

I have to agree that this Department is not very organized at a Fire Scene, especially for a well paid professional Department. I have talked with people who have watched them at a fire scene and it takes them forever to go into action and actually fight the fire, maybe more training is in order.

On the subject of dissolving the Village, there will ALWAYS be Police Protection and Fire Protection no matter what happens, but in the long run it will be less costly for the taxpayers. I think this area does need its own Police Department, however, in my opinion we could easily get along with a Volunteer or Semi-Volunteer Fire Department. There are only 3 paild Departments in the immediate area, Binghamton, Johnson City and Endicott. I think that Binghamton and Johnson City should combine services since the City is located 1 mile from the JC border. This small village simply cannot continue to support the over 3 MILLION DOLLARS for a paid Fire Department, it has nothing to do with the firefighters personally, it is just a fact. It's past time the Village Government reigned in expenses and became ACCOUNTABLE to whats left of the taxpayers in this Village.

"I have talked with people who have watched them at a fire scene and it takes them forever to go into action and actually fight the fire"

I've talked to people who claim to have seen Elvis recently, but it doesn't necessarily make it so. Why don't you observe them yourself before spouting off. I'm not a firefighter, but I have in fact seen them in action - like when most of their homes were underwater in June '06, but all of them to a man went out to help others. I have seen them at fires too, they are professionals. So quit complaining and do what should've been done years ago for JC - vote Harry Lewis and his cronies the hell out.

they are right . the news stated many firefighters were injured , but nothing serious.

they also did state the firemen did not want to go in because the fire was hot.

news puts them in a bad light also, but if you have seen them in action, they do resemble the keystone cops, im sorry to say.

@

This is a terrible and slanderous post, that doesn't even come close to the truth.

As a volunteer myself, I am truly amazed at how efficient the JC Fire Dept is for only having 7-10 man crews. I drove by that warehouse yesterday and am amazed that they were able to contain that fire with all the flammables involved. Good job guys, you do a lot with what little you have. Don't let these internet know it alls bring you down, they try to slam us all the time too.

Guest Guest

The JCFD get a very generous salary and benefits for what a Volunteer does for free. I think one of the problems they have is they do not seem to know where the fire hydrants are located in the Village ??????

@

No true heroes help people without getting paid. They are just doing their job. And yes I am a taxpayer.

@

That’s where you are wrong; my boyfriend is a fire fighter VOLUNTEER! And he has pulled many people from danger, The thanks that he gets from the families of those he has saved is the only payment he receives, also on an ambulance when he goes to a call where a mother is so devastated because she thinks her child isn’t going to make it in time to the hospital but that driver and medic do everything in their power and they see the look on that mothers face when the doctor tell her that her child will make it , THAT is the best “Payment” they will ever receive they receive NO paycheck, But ungrateful people like you find the nerve to come on here and bash them!!!!!!!!!!!! Paid is no different you need to look at what they do rather than what they make, When yourself or your family is in trouble even thought you are an ungrateful idiot they will show you the same respect as anyone else, because to them it’s not just a job! It’s risking theirs to save yours so show some respect

I would LOVE to see you put on full turn out, scot up , run into a burning building ,do a FULL check of the interior and not be HOT don’t be an idiot your not immune to heat

Get a brain and a pair and come out of the guest closet !!!!!!

You think you can do it so much better, Next time your near a station, drop by and pick up an application!

@

Guest Guest

Dissolving the Village of JC will not automatically have an impact on the taxes the residents pay for fire protection. Just because the village government may not be there, don't assume the career fire department will automatically disappear. The issue of the fire protection will have to be decided and there is a high cost associated with any type of fire department. Regardless of what is decided, remember that the Town of Union will not spread the cost of the JC fire department over the entire town, but will have to create a fire district where the current village lines are drawn. Just as Endwell residents pay for the Endwell FD and Endicott residents pay for their FD, the JC residents will need to pay for their fire department. In other words, the fire taxes may remain exactly the same as they are now.

Regardless of the decision to dissolve the village, residents will have to decide what level of fire protection they are willing to pay for. Career departments are not cheap, but volunteer departments are far from free. Both career and volunteer firefighters are well trained and fully capable of putting out fires, but they are different. The simple fact that career firefighters are in the station 24/7 and able to quickly respond sets them apart from the volunteer firefighters. I can't imagine anyone (citizen, volunteer or career firefighter) would prefer a delayed response because the firefighters are at home or at work. The question is how much the taxpayers are willing to pay for, and only village residents are able to answer that question.

I don't live or work in JC (I'm not a firefighter) and I haven’t followed this topic closely, but I have not heard the media mention that anyone is talking about restructuring the fire department - there is only discussion about the dissolution of the village. Maybe the committee just hasn’t got to the topic of the fire department. But remember, unless the topic is being officially discussed, all of the complaining is simply an exercise futility.

@

Guest Guest

I was totally for dissolving village. now i am not 100% sure. i would like to keep police and garbage because i feel those departments do a great job.

firemen can go to volunteer. they cost us too much money and are not worth the ink their checks are written on.

Guest Guest
I have to agree that this Department is not very organized at a Fire Scene, especially for a well paid professional Department. I have talked with people who have watched them at a fire scene and it takes them forever to go into action and actually fight the fire, maybe more training is in order.

On the subject of dissolving the Village, there will ALWAYS be Police Protection and Fire Protection no matter what happens, but in the long run it will be less costly for the taxpayers. I think this area does need its own Police Department, however, in my opinion we could easily get along with a Volunteer or Semi-Volunteer Fire Department. There are only 3 paild Departments in the immediate area, Binghamton, Johnson City and Endicott. I think that Binghamton and Johnson City should combine services since the City is located 1 mile from the JC border. This small village simply cannot continue to support the over 3 MILLION DOLLARS for a paid Fire Department, it has nothing to do with the firefighters personally, it is just a fact. It's past time the Village Government reigned in expenses and became ACCOUNTABLE to whats left of the taxpayers in this Village.

JC has already approached Binghamton The problem is when you talk about consolidation it has to benefit both sides. JC has nothing to bring to the table. Binghamton doesnt want or need JC. The city of Binghamton taxpayers are already bitching about taxes,and the budget for the BFD do you think they want to support JC. As far as JC being one mile from the city border I guess that depends on your perspective--what is on the other border? Town of Union- right? JCis trying to save their jobs. They will go from a professional paid department to a volunteer department if they consolidate with the town of Union.

@

Guest Guest
That’s where you are wrong; my boyfriend is a fire fighter VOLUNTEER! And he has pulled many people from danger, The thanks that he gets from the families of those he has saved is the only payment he receives, also on an ambulance when he goes to a call where a mother is so devastated because she thinks her child isn’t going to make it in time to the hospital but that driver and medic do everything in their power and they see the look on that mothers face when the doctor tell her that her child will make it , THAT is the best “Payment” they will ever receive they receive NO paycheck, But ungrateful people like you find the nerve to come on here and bash them!!!!!!!!!!!! Paid is no different you need to look at what they do rather than what they make, When yourself or your family is in trouble even thought you are an ungrateful idiot they will show you the same respect as anyone else, because to them it’s not just a job! It’s risking theirs to save yours so show some respect

I would LOVE to see you put on full turn out, scot up , run into a burning building ,do a FULL check of the interior and not be HOT don’t be an idiot your not immune to heat

Get a brain and a pair and come out of the guest closet !!!!!!

You think you can do it so much better, Next time your near a station, drop by and pick up an application!

@

Listen to yourself! What you are describing and how you describing them is why professional firefighters think vollies are idiots. Professionals dont need to come on a message board to tell everyone what they do to get praise. Most professional firefighters dont even talk about what they do and the "look on the mothers face" when they save a life.They dont come home from work and brag about their heroics. It is expected of them.

I commend your boyfriend for wanting to help others, the fact that he is volunteering shouldnt make what he does any less important than someone who gets paid but sweetie weither you want to admit it or not there is a huge difference. The biggest difference is their attitude about themselves and what they do. I don't think you'll hear many professionals even discussing '"put on full turn out, scot up , run into a burning building ,do a FULL check of the interior and not be HOT" I also dont think that the contact your boyfriend has with peoples personal lives should be discussed with you or anyone else, especially when it comes to a medical situation. Maybe that is the difference between the two

Archived