Driving Etiquette and Safety

Guest Guest-Facts Are Better-*

Yes, I know stuff like this has been posted before... but I thought i would start a new thread due to it being spring and people now have their motorcycles and other summer cars out now. Plus I ran into (thankfully not literally) an idiot on the Parkway today.

For starters, please keep an eye out for motorcyclists. Remember that they can sometimes be in a blind spot more than a car due to their size... also, while they shouldn't, many move faster than cars. So if you see one coming up behind you in a lane next to you, try to gauge their speed better so you don't make an unsafe lane change.

2nd, my Parkway complaint.

If you are going the speed limit or slower, don't drive in the left lane unless you are going to be making a left turn shortly. If you are in front of University Plaza going west bound... there is no need to drive 45 in the left lane if you are going to be turning left at Target or onto Route 26. You would be obstructing traffic.

Today someone in a Maroon Malibu with handicap plates was driving in the left lane 5 under the speed limit east bound. I was unable to move into the right lane for quite some time due to people driving faster in the right lane... starting just after Murray Hill until a little after the Vestal Av intersection where the speed limit increases to 55. This car sped up... to 50... still 5 under the speed limit. Still a lot of space in front of them as cars pass it and move left to pass cars going the speed limit in the right. At one point I was very close... sure I was breaking V & T Law § 1129... but I mean, come on, I was behind someone also breaking a V & T Law for about two miles. They decided to do a small brake check... which is not the smartest thing to do with a child about 5 years old in the back seat. I mean, do they want the child to also have a handicap??? A truck with push bars @ 2 times a Malibu's weight would not be a pleasant sight... although thankfully, at the slow speed they were going, it wouldn't have been too bad.

So I was finally able to pass on the right... what do they do??? Speed up to prevent me from doing so.

As was posted in the funeral thread... driving with others is all about respect. This couple had none... and again were only thinking about themselves. I tailgaited them for at most a few seconds thinking they may have not seen me yet. So where I thought they may have just been blindly driving down the parkway... they actually were aware of their surroundings and didn't care.

Sad.

Here is what the DMV Manual says: If a driver tailgates behind you, move to another lane if possible, or pull off the road if necessary while going slower, to let the driver go by you. Be sure to signal when you drive off the road and when you return to it. Do not press your brakes to warn the offending driver - this could make a difficult situation become even more dangerous.

Another reminder for all year... slow-moving traffic shall remain in the right lane. Including the parkway.

http://nysdmv.com/dmanual/default.html This is an online manual... with quiz... let's see how some of us do. :-)

OK... thanks for letting me vent. Next??? lol

Guest Guest
Yes, I know stuff like this has been posted before... but I thought i would start a new thread due to it being spring and people now have their motorcycles and other summer cars out now. Plus I ran into (thankfully not literally) an idiot on the Parkway today.

For starters, please keep an eye out for motorcyclists. Remember that they can sometimes be in a blind spot more than a car due to their size... also, while they shouldn't, many move faster than cars. So if you see one coming up behind you in a lane next to you, try to gauge their speed better so you don't make an unsafe lane change.

2nd, my Parkway complaint.

If you are going the speed limit or slower, don't drive in the left lane unless you are going to be making a left turn shortly. If you are in front of University Plaza going west bound... there is no need to drive 45 in the left lane if you are going to be turning left at Target or onto Route 26. You would be obstructing traffic.

Today someone in a Maroon Malibu with handicap plates was driving in the left lane 5 under the speed limit east bound. I was unable to move into the right lane for quite some time due to people driving faster in the right lane... starting just after Murray Hill until a little after the Vestal Av intersection where the speed limit increases to 55. This car sped up... to 50... still 5 under the speed limit. Still a lot of space in front of them as cars pass it and move left to pass cars going the speed limit in the right. At one point I was very close... sure I was breaking V & T Law § 1129... but I mean, come on, I was behind someone also breaking a V & T Law for about two miles. They decided to do a small brake check... which is not the smartest thing to do with a child about 5 years old in the back seat. I mean, do they want the child to also have a handicap??? A truck with push bars @ 2 times a Malibu's weight would not be a pleasant sight... although thankfully, at the slow speed they were going, it wouldn't have been too bad.

So I was finally able to pass on the right... what do they do??? Speed up to prevent me from doing so.

As was posted in the funeral thread... driving with others is all about respect. This couple had none... and again were only thinking about themselves. I tailgaited them for at most a few seconds thinking they may have not seen me yet. So where I thought they may have just been blindly driving down the parkway... they actually were aware of their surroundings and didn't care.

Sad.

Here is what the DMV Manual says: If a driver tailgates behind you, move to another lane if possible, or pull off the road if necessary while going slower, to let the driver go by you. Be sure to signal when you drive off the road and when you return to it. Do not press your brakes to warn the offending driver - this could make a difficult situation become even more dangerous.

Another reminder for all year... slow-moving traffic shall remain in the right lane. Including the parkway.

http://nysdmv.com/dmanual/default.html This is an online manual... with quiz... let's see how some of us do. :-)

OK... thanks for letting me vent. Next??? lol

You tailgated someone and you are quoting vehicle laws about another driver?

You're totally DELETED up!

Guest Guest

The person was doing 5 mph below the speed limit and you needed to do that extra 5 mph sooooo badly that you tailgated someone?

IDIOT!

The person was doing 5 mph below the speed limit and you needed to do that extra 5 mph sooooo badly that you tailgated someone?

IDIOT!

You tailgated someone and you are quoting vehicle laws about another driver?

You're totally DELETED up!

I was at a safe distance... then I thought I saw an opening to pass by, so I increased my speed... as I did so, either the car in front slowed down more or the vehicle to the right speed up because I ended up not being able to. So I ended up too close... and was tailgaiting for at most 5 seconds when they did a brake check. Which to me shows this person slowed down more. I did not drive incorrectly... I was driving defensively for the most part... with the exception of this 5 seconds.

If they were doing the speed limit... no big deal... since they were not, they should have been in the right lane.

Try not doing selective reading.

Guest Guest
I was at a safe distance... then I thought I saw an opening to pass by, so I increased my speed... as I did so, either the car in front slowed down more or the vehicle to the right speed up because I ended up not being able to. So I ended up too close... and was tailgaiting for at most 5 seconds when they did a brake check. Which to me shows this person slowed down more. I did not drive incorrectly... I was driving defensively for the most part... with the exception of this 5 seconds.

If they were doing the speed limit... no big deal... since they were not, they should have been in the right lane.

Try not doing selective reading.

Regardless of whether the people in front of you were messing with you by braking, YOU are the one who would have gotten the ticket if you had hit them.

The speed limit is that -- THE LIMIT. You were willing to cause an accident just so that you could go either drive 5 mph faster to do the speed LIMIT or you wanted to SPEED. In all cases, YOU are the aggressive driver.

And again, an IDIOT!

Sorry, after having worked in a bldg on the Pkwy for about 5 yrs, it was hugely annoying to get stuck behind 2 lanes of people driving around 30-ish, and not being able to get around either one.

At least some in the right lane would occasionally turn in somewhere, but usually the ones in the left (passing) lane would ride that, under the speed limit, and you could see their big heads turning to take in the sights of new development...ok, all well and good, except at 8 am when others have to get to work.

Always, when forced to pass on the right, I could see a cell phone plastered to the left ear of the offending driver.

P.I.T.A.!!!

Guest Guest
Sorry, after having worked in a bldg on the Pkwy for about 5 yrs, it was hugely annoying to get stuck behind 2 lanes of people driving around 30-ish, and not being able to get around either one.

At least some in the right lane would occasionally turn in somewhere, but usually the ones in the left (passing) lane would ride that, under the speed limit, and you could see their big heads turning to take in the sights of new development...ok, all well and good, except at 8 am when others have to get to work.

Always, when forced to pass on the right, I could see a cell phone plastered to the left ear of the offending driver.

P.I.T.A.!!!

That's different and I totally agree with you. Those people suck just as much as the OP.

Regardless of whether the people in front of you were messing with you by braking, YOU are the one who would have gotten the ticket if you had hit them.

The speed limit is that -- THE LIMIT. You were willing to cause an accident just so that you could go either drive 5 mph faster to do the speed LIMIT or you wanted to SPEED. In all cases, YOU are the aggressive driver.

And again, an IDIOT!

Exactly, I would have received a ticket if, due to them not driving properly, I hit them. It is like they wanted someone to do so. I wanted to drive the speed limit, and was doing so, while passing others that were going below and the right lane... until I approached this car In your words, they were messing with me... and were with other cars in the area too...I was in the wrong place wrong time, possibly they wanted to commit insurance fraud. Why would anyone play with other vehs on the roadway with a child in the car though??? Not right.

Again, please read to comprehend that what they were doing was incorrect... they would have caused an accident that I would have been "at fault" for. I will not return your name calling, for that is childish... just as what this driver did was.

That's different and I totally agree with you. Those people suck just as much as the OP.

Could you make up your mind??? Do people driving slowly suck... or do they not???

Guest Guest
Exactly, I would have received a ticket if, due to them not driving properly, I hit them. It is like they wanted someone to do so. I wanted to drive the speed limit, and was doing so, while passing others that were going below and the right lane... until I approached this car In your words, they were messing with me... and were with other cars in the area too...I was in the wrong place wrong time, possibly they wanted to commit insurance fraud. Why would anyone play with other vehs on the roadway with a child in the car though??? Not right.

Again, please read to comprehend that what they were doing was incorrect... they would have caused an accident that I would have been "at fault" for. I will not return your name calling, for that is childish... just as what this driver did was.

Could you make up your mind??? Do people driving slowly suck... or do they not???

I don't lump people who drive a mere 5 mph under the speed limit in the same category as those who are truly driving slowly.

I have read your post carefully. No matter how you try to spin it, you were driving aggressively and were in the wrong.

@

Archived