Nursing Shortage

The Mole

I'd like to thank all those in the nursing field for what they do. They are greatly under-appreciated.

I have a few questions for the hospitals and politicians in this area. Do we really need three hospitals? Can the area really support three hospitals? Do the nursing schools put out enough new nurses? My gripe boils down to this. I've watched, over the years, Lourdes panic and flood. They are constantly putting money into the building to make it look good. Perhaps that money is better spent elsewhere. UHS, thats General and Wilson, those are old buildings that need work. Perhaps a consolidated regional medical facility would be the ticket. Instead of blowing money on a rebuild of the Kamikaze highway nightmare, which after looking at the new plans appears to be more of the same, why doesn't the politicians look for money for a regional combined facility. That 33 acre site in the Ward would have been ideal. A power plant already on site for emergency backup and for the most part high and dry. You could even put in a heliport. Consolidate, enlarge and offer other services. Put in a nursing school right at the facility.

The bottom line may just be the treatment these health care people receive. I also believe the doctors in the area are overtaxed by their work burden. There are other factors involved. Treatment, management, pay and quality of life in the area. Perhaps it's time to look at another REAL need instead of replaying a boondoggle of a mis-engineered highway. Everybody in this area benefits from the health-care professionals, we should be looking at shoring them up because as we all get older we need them more.

You know that toilet thing is kind of spooky. When I was in Wilson there was a shared bathroom. The scary part is that somebody in the next room must have had something pretty nasty because everytime the nurses went in there they put on disposable over garments, gloves and masks. Make me wonder if the person used the bathroom. GACK !!!! :blink:

You know that toilet thing is kind of spooky. When I was in Wilson there was a shared bathroom. The scary part is that somebody in the next room must have had something pretty nasty because everytime the nurses went in there they put on disposable over garments, gloves and masks. Make me wonder if the person used the bathroom. GACK !!!! :blink:

Usually it means just the opposite. Sometimes the patient has a very low immune system and anyone entering their room has to suit up so they don't spread any of their own germs to the patient. The patient can't find things like the common cold, so all precautions are taken.

The bathroom thing is ridiculous at Wilson. It is why I will NEVER stay there. Four SICK people using ONE toilet? Ewwww! I have visited relatives at various times who stayed there. I witnessed first hand -- numerous times -- a -person desperately needing to get into the bathroom, only to discover the last person who used it on the other side forgot to unlock the door to that person's side before leaving. I have also smelled first hand things I did not think could possibly smell THAT bad. I'm not blaming the sick people -- but after all, sick poo is bad enough without multiplying it by FOUR throughout the day. And to top it off, the bathroom doors have large VENTS at the bottom, so all smells can seep into the rooms even faster than normal! Add to that the SOUNDS come out clear as a bell -- thanks to paper thin doors -- it's a wonder ANYONE stays at that hospital.

Brilliant...Wilson is often filled to capacity, where do you propose those patients go?

Well, they are already limited by where they can "go" since they often can't get into the bathrooms.

Close it down or add some toilets!!!!

Well, they are already limited by where they can "go" since they often can't get into the bathrooms.

Close it down or add some toilets!!!!

Also keep in mind that although there is technically 4 to a bathroom, many times only 1 or 2 of the 4 can actually get to the bathroom to use it. Many are not that mobile and use bedside commodes.

Also keep in mind that although there is technically 4 to a bathroom, many times only 1 or 2 of the 4 can actually get to the bathroom to use it. Many are not that mobile and use bedside commodes.

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.....

I'm definitely getting a private room if I ever have to be admitted. And it won't be at Wilson!

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.....

I'm definitely getting a private room if I ever have to be admitted. And it won't be at Wilson!

It's the facts of life, and you'll find it wherever you go. Good luck getting your insurance to cover a private room, and let's hope something serious doesn't ever happen to you that might necessitate the above scenerio.

It's the facts of life, and you'll find it wherever you go. Good luck getting your insurance to cover a private room, and let's hope something serious doesn't ever happen to you that might necessitate the above scenerio.

Don't be mean, Kermie.

First, I understand it is all part of life.

As far as getting your insurance to cover a private room, that is actually something I know quite a bit about. I happen to be in the insurance "biz." I will let you in on a little secret --

Almost all insurance companies reimburse inpatient stays based on something called "DRG." The simplest way to explain it is -- hospital's bill an inpatient stay based on the type of condition the person was being treated for in the hospital. Insurance companies reimburse a set amount of payment based on the code for that condition. For example, say you went in for appendicitis. You stay in the hospital for 5 days. A friend of yours has appendicitis, too. However, he ends up staying in the hospital for only 4 days. The insurance company will look at each bill, and regardless of the difference in the total charges and the total amount of days spent in the hospital for each of you, the reimbursement will be exactly the same because the set amount for inpatient stays for appendicitis is "xxxx" amount of dollars. Hence, hospitals actually do better if they can get you out the door sooner rather than later.

That is a very simple explanation -- there are a few exceptions -- but that is the gist of it.

Now, that being said, let us return to the issue of a private room vs a semi-private room. Since most insurance companies reimburse inpatient stays as a "package" deal (via the DRG method), you can usually actually have a private room and the insurance company still pays the exact same way as if you had a semi-private room. Even those insurance companies that do not reimburse by the above method will usually only leave you with the responsibility of paying the difference between a semi-private room and a private room. That cost is really quite minimal if you are only staying for a day or two.

Unfortunately, a lot of times private rooms are not available at the hospital. But, if you know you will be having a scheduled procedure where you will need to be inpatient, you can let the hospital know your preference and they will give you a private room if it is available. You have to ask for it -- that is the key. And I do recommend people call their insurance company ahead of time to verify there will be no difference regarding your co=insurance liability if you have a private room. I recommended this to a friend who was having a very troubling surgery scheduled, and she did it and was relieved at being able to get a private room at no additional cost to her.

Now, as far as Wilson -- THEY NEED TO GET MORE TOILETS!!!!

I don't know if the situation has changed, but back in the mid-80's, I dated a Nursing Student at SUNY B.

She came up from NYC. She told me she wasn't going to stay around here because the pay for new nurses was so much lower than many other parts of the US.

I don't know if the situation has changed, but back in the mid-80's, I dated a Nursing Student at SUNY B.

She came up from NYC. She told me she wasn't going to stay around here because the pay for new nurses was so much lower than many other parts of the US.

Did she have any thoughts about the lack of toilets at Wilson?

A Japanese doctor says, 'Medicine in my country is so advanced that we can take a kidney out of one man, put it in another, and have him out looking for work in six weeks.'

A German doctor says, 'That is nothing. We can take a lung out of one person, put it in another, and have him out looking for work in four weeks.'

A British doctor says, 'In my country medicine is so advanced that we can take half a heart out of one person, put it in another, and have both of them out looking for work in two weeks.'

The American doctor, not to be outdone, interjected, 'You guys are way behind. We are about to take a woman with no brains, put her in the White House, and then half the country will be out looking for work.'

The situation will only get worse as the cost of healthcare keeps skyrocketing, yet reimbursement keeps getting cut.

Don't be mean, Kermie.

First, I understand it is all part of life.

As far as getting your insurance to cover a private room, that is actually something I know quite a bit about. I happen to be in the insurance "biz." I will let you in on a little secret --

Almost all insurance companies reimburse inpatient stays based on something called "DRG." The simplest way to explain it is -- hospital's bill an inpatient stay based on the type of condition the person was being treated for in the hospital. Insurance companies reimburse a set amount of payment based on the code for that condition. For example, say you went in for appendicitis. You stay in the hospital for 5 days. A friend of yours has appendicitis, too. However, he ends up staying in the hospital for only 4 days. The insurance company will look at each bill, and regardless of the difference in the total charges and the total amount of days spent in the hospital for each of you, the reimbursement will be exactly the same because the set amount for inpatient stays for appendicitis is "xxxx" amount of dollars. Hence, hospitals actually do better if they can get you out the door sooner rather than later.

That is a very simple explanation -- there are a few exceptions -- but that is the gist of it.

Now, that being said, let us return to the issue of a private room vs a semi-private room. Since most insurance companies reimburse inpatient stays as a "package" deal (via the DRG method), you can usually actually have a private room and the insurance company still pays the exact same way as if you had a semi-private room. Even those insurance companies that do not reimburse by the above method will usually only leave you with the responsibility of paying the difference between a semi-private room and a private room. That cost is really quite minimal if you are only staying for a day or two.

Unfortunately, a lot of times private rooms are not available at the hospital. But, if you know you will be having a scheduled procedure where you will need to be inpatient, you can let the hospital know your preference and they will give you a private room if it is available. You have to ask for it -- that is the key. And I do recommend people call their insurance company ahead of time to verify there will be no difference regarding your co=insurance liability if you have a private room. I recommended this to a friend who was having a very troubling surgery scheduled, and she did it and was relieved at being able to get a private room at no additional cost to her.

Now, as far as Wilson -- THEY NEED TO GET MORE TOILETS!!!!

My sincere apologies for any mean connotations.

Archived