Landlords and Unemployment

Guest Curious Tennent

Guest Curious Tennent

I currently rent an aparment from a couple. She works a full time position in the city and her husband supposedly is an independent carpenter. I have written rent chekcs using both of thier names in the past. however I was recently asked to void the check that I had written with both thier names in order to replace it with a check with just her name on it. When I asked why the need for the change she stated that her husband was getting unemployment and could not have any source of income traced to him or his benefits would stop. She then after a few minutes of chit chat told me of thier upcoming trip to Acopolco Mexico where they own a time share. I was not comfortable with changing the rent check and still do not feel 100% about continuing this. What are some suggestions in this case?

Guest Guest

Suggestion #1

Pay your rent to the landlord the way they tell you to or you will be evicted.

Suggestion #2

Mind your own business when it comes to your landlord or you will be evicted.

Any Questions???

Guest Guest
I currently rent an aparment from a couple. She works a full time position in the city and her husband supposedly is an independent carpenter. I have written rent chekcs using both of thier names in the past. however I was recently asked to void the check that I had written with both thier names in order to replace it with a check with just her name on it. When I asked why the need for the change she stated that her husband was getting unemployment and could not have any source of income traced to him or his benefits would stop. She then after a few minutes of chit chat told me of thier upcoming trip to Acopolco Mexico where they own a time share. I was not comfortable with changing the rent check and still do not feel 100% about continuing this. What are some suggestions in this case?

Yes, one question.

Will you be paying this person's attorney's fees and eventual fine when they are charged with aiding a fraud?

Guest Guest
Suggestion #1

Pay your rent to the landlord the way they tell you to or you will be evicted.

Suggestion #2

Mind your own business when it comes to your landlord or you will be evicted.

Any Questions???

The last post was meant as a question to this clown.

Also, I've seen more landlords inquire into their tenants' lives than I care to recall. Perhaps tenants' need to do the same to landlords to help demonstrate how ridiculous the practice is.

I suggest the O.P. looks at their lease. It may say how you are to pay the lease. If not, I'd just keep giving them a check with both names. If they try to evict you, you'll have a defense that you tendered payment, but they were buy trying to perpetrate a fraud. I'm sure their eviction will go over real well with the magistrate.

Guest Guest

she has the right to get the check written anyway she wants. albeit, she was a fool to expalin to WHY she wanted it written differently. that certainly was none of your business, and still isn't. what difference does it make to you how the check is written as long as you have proof that it has been paid. the unemployment department knows that he holds title to this property and his wife is just being overly concerned. it is not earned income, it is PASSIVE. that does not count towards unemployment.

Guest Guest

Seriously, people, one or the other or both of them will have to claim the rent paid as income.

It doesn't make a bit of difference who she writes the check out to.

And which labor law is it that stipulates that you can't go on vacation while you're collecting unemployment?

Guest Punch him

Punch him in the face. Don't know what it will accomplish, but it surely will make you feel good :D

The last post was meant as a question to this clown.

Also, I've seen more landlords inquire into their tenants' lives than I care to recall. Perhaps tenants' need to do the same to landlords to help demonstrate how ridiculous the practice is.

I suggest the O.P. looks at their lease. It may say how you are to pay the lease. If not, I'd just keep giving them a check with both names. If they try to evict you, you'll have a defense that you tendered payment, but they were buy trying to perpetrate a fraud. I'm sure their eviction will go over real well with the magistrate.

That clown would be me, and I am a landlord many times over. As far as a landlord inquiring into a tenant's business, it is the right of a property owner to check out a potential tenant before entrusting his property into their hands. A tenant really doesn't have anything to lose, ie if they don't like something they just pack up and leave. It is of no business of a tenant to question what a landlord does with his finances or how they handle their personal business. Simply pay your rent and to who ever they tell you to pay it to and enjoy your rented apartment. If you write a check to someone that you were told not to and the landlord cannot turn your payment into cash funds because of it, that landlord has every right to evict you as you have not paid the rent. Would be the same thing as writing a check and not having the funds to cover the check, your rent was not paid. Your being noisey and bull headed about who your landlord(s) choose to have you write the check to will only confirm that that landlord didn't check you out close enough before renting you the property.

Guest Guest
she has the right to get the check written anyway she wants. albeit, she was a fool to expalin to WHY she wanted it written differently. that certainly was none of your business, and still isn't. what difference does it make to you how the check is written as long as you have proof that it has been paid. the unemployment department knows that he holds title to this property and his wife is just being overly concerned. it is not earned income, it is PASSIVE. that does not count towards unemployment.

if the home is a 2 family than the house is not considered an issue. However the fact that he is an independent contractor might be as well as his trip to Mexico(unless he doesnt claim benefits while he is gone) call the hotline and report him.

if the home is a 2 family than the house is not considered an issue. However the fact that he is an independent contractor might be as well as his trip to Mexico(unless he doesnt claim benefits while he is gone) call the hotline and report him.

Boy you are a wealth of untrue information. Give the hotline a call and tell them that your landlord is taking a trip to Mexico and he is on unemployment. They don't have laws that tell you where you can and can't go while collecting unemployment, they tell you that you have to be available for work and if the guy goes to Mexico and work calls him, he can fly back and be available within a day which is very acceptable. Also, what does the home being a 2 family have to do with anything? It is their property and if the rent it to you and tell you to pay the rent to the Pope, you have to pay it to the Pope. If you don't, they can evict you and there is nothing that you can do about it. They don't have to explain themselves to you or anyone else.

Guest Guest
Seriously, people, one or the other or both of them will have to claim the rent paid as income.

It doesn't make a bit of difference who she writes the check out to.

And which labor law is it that stipulates that you can't go on vacation while you're collecting unemployment?

You must be ready,willing and able to work the weeks you are claiming benefits. If you are on vacation are you ready or able to work? If you're in Mexico and you get a call telling you to show up for an interview that day you wouldn't be able to--- so you're not entitled to benefits any day you not out looking for work. Government doesn't give out paid vacations!

Guest Guest

Rental property could be considered self employment. It is up to UI to make the determination not the individual. You cannot claim benefits for any day you are self employed even if its only for 10 minutes work

You must be ready,willing and able to work the weeks you are claiming benefits. If you are on vacation are you ready or able to work? If you're in Mexico and you get a call telling you to show up for an interview that day you wouldn't be able to--- so you're not entitled to benefits any day you not out looking for work. Government doesn't give out paid vacations!

Nobody would call you and ask you to show up for an interview that day and 24 hours would plenty of time to fly back if you had to.

Guest Guest

just by virtue that you mentioned that YOUR slum lord would not fix the steps speaks volumes about you and your character. you are the inhabitant of the slum. that means you are scum. so monmd you own business. nobody cars what welfare scum think anyway.

Guest Guest
Rental property could be considered self employment. It is up to UI to make the determination not the individual. You cannot claim benefits for any day you are self employed even if its only for 10 minutes work

as i said before, rental income is PASSIVE income, not EARNED INCOME> he can make as much passive income as he likes without it affecting his unemployment benefits.

do you pay for checks you write ? If you do then i would ask ur landlord to cover the check you wrote them the first time. Thats if you gotta write another one with not both names on it because her husband is getting unployment and they dont wanna let unployment know that he has other income coming in. I feel your rent is paid for. You saying you have wrote checks before in both of there names. Why change it just to let then cover up faud. But thats up to you. Good Luck

Guest Guest
do you pay for checks you write ? If you do then i would ask ur landlord to cover the check you wrote them the first time. Thats if you gotta write another one with not both names on it because her husband is getting unployment and they dont wanna let unployment know that he has other income coming in. I feel your rent is paid for. You saying you have wrote checks before in both of there names. Why change it just to let then cover up faud. But thats up to you. Good Luck

and i can't wait for them to throw you a$$ out of there, either.

Guest Guest
just by virtue that you mentioned that YOUR slum lord would not fix the steps speaks volumes about you and your character. you are the inhabitant of the slum. that means you are scum. so monmd you own business. nobody cars what welfare scum think anyway.

Actually it is a very nice 2 family on the west side of Binghamton. It is owned by an attorney. He makes good money off both apartments. The city of Binghamton actually took pictures of the steps and gave the landlord a time frame to fix them (he didnt) We also called him(2 times) and wrote a letter about a water leak in the tub. He never fixed that either yet he had a hissy when the water bill came He tried to get us to pay the water bill, but since we had records of the calls and a copy of the letter he was stuck You would think he would have known that being a lawyer and all. All I am saying is if you pay your rent you should expect a decent place to live If something needs to be fixed than it should be fixed. If the person has a history of owning property and not taking care of it people have a right to know. That sucks when you cant get your mail because your steps are too dangerous for the postman to come up.

Guest Guest
Nobody would call you and ask you to show up for an interview that day and 24 hours would plenty of time to fly back if you had to.

I worked for UI and have seen people get suspended for the days they were traveling because if they are sitting behind the wheel of a car driving all day, not only were they unavailable, they werent looking for work. The whole idea is you have to be actively seeking employment not soaking in the sun drinking margaritas. It is your responsibility to look for work not wait for someone to call you. If you think otherwise, call- I know better! Actually you can go online www.labor.state.ny.us and read the instructions for filing a claim

Guest Guest
as i said before, rental income is PASSIVE income, not EARNED INCOME> he can make as much passive income as he likes without it affecting his unemployment benefits.

Tell that to anyone who has a 1099. They will tell you different. 1099 is considered unearned income or self employment. It cannot be used to establish a rate because it technically isnt income. Self employment and being an officer in a corporation will disqualify you from UI

Guest Guest
Tell that to anyone who has a 1099. They will tell you different. 1099 is considered unearned income or self employment. It cannot be used to establish a rate because it technically isnt income. Self employment and being an officer in a corporation will disqualify you from UI

moron, rental income is not reported on a 1099. a 1099 has NOTHING to do with this.

Guest Guest
I worked for UI and have seen people get suspended for the days they were traveling because if they are sitting behind the wheel of a car driving all day, not only were they unavailable, they werent looking for work. The whole idea is you have to be actively seeking employment not soaking in the sun drinking margaritas. It is your responsibility to look for work not wait for someone to call you. If you think otherwise, call- I know better! Actually you can go online www.labor.state.ny.us and read the instructions for filing a claim

I PRESENTLY WORK FOR UI AND YOU ARE FULL OF IT. THE RULES ARE NOT THAT STRICT AND THEY DON'T EXPECT YOU TO LOOK FOR EMPLOYMENT 24 HOURS A DAY. THEY REQUIRE YOU TO APPLY AT SO MANY PLACES PER WEEK TO QUALIFY. VACATIONS ARE A PART OF LIFE AND UI DOES NOT MAKE RULES THAT WOULD PROHIBIT YOU FROM COLLECTING WHILE YOU WERE OUT OF TOWN FOR A FEW DAYS OR EVEN A WEEK. GET OFF YOUR HIGH HORSE!

Guest eliott spitzer
moron, rental income is not reported on a 1099. a 1099 has NOTHING to do with this.

he is saying if he is self employed he gets a 1099. he's saying if he is self employed that he doesn't get UI. i have no idea if that's true but you are confusing the argument. he's not saying rental income is on a 1099. i believe you are right. unemployment is solely based on work and has nothing nothing to do with how much property you own or any type of income not related to employment. the OP is not a lawyer and should just shut up and pay the rent. pick other battles to fight.

Guest Guest

I was comparing "passive" income to a 1099, either I didnt make myself clear or you are the moron.

Archived