JC Firemen

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

Looks like you gentlemen showed the people of JC exactly what you DO NOT DO all week and get paid for.

thanks for the info.

I vote Volunteer.

Guest Guest

then the public has to do its own homework.

the firemen of course are going to say that response time, etc are going to be longer, but look where most of them live.

in a volunteer area so they must trust them to not be that bad. they dont want their gravy train to run off the track.

@

Guest Guest

After we deal with Ryan and the other liberals, we who met at the Legion meeting will make sure that all JC fireman loose there jobs. Us taxpayers are fed up. We will not pay for these welfare jobs any more. Let these fireman find a real job in the private sector, which is the only place there are any real jobs.

After we deal with Ryan and the other liberals, we who met at the Legion meeting will make sure that all JC fireman loose there jobs. Us taxpayers are fed up. We will not pay for these welfare jobs any more. Let these fireman find a real job in the private sector, which is the only place there are any real jobs.

Easy there. Take a few deep breaths, have a drink, relax. Am I to understand that fighting fires is not a real job? Putting your lives in danger for people you don't know, I don't care if it's 58 fires or 5800, is a pretty real job if you ask me.

@

Guest Guest

no one said anything about the police dept.

the firemen themselves said they did not have many fire calls,...... doing half of what they do all day would bother me...nothing!!!!

How many of those med calls are they counting that they don't even get on scene and they are canceled? It's still a number even though they are canceled while in route. This is not a put down, just a curious question.

@

Guest Ticked-Off Taxpayer

2016 CALLS........58 FIRE RELATED!

OR

97% OF THEIR CALL ARE UNRELATED TO FIGHTING FIRES! 97%!!!!!!

How did things get so crazy? Is there a video of the Fire Chief admitting to this in front of a Village Dissolution Committee?

My goodness, that had to be a very difficult proposition for him.

Has the recent Matt Ryan- Lotto winning Binghamton Fire Department divulged their statistics? Just the fact that they have 40 officers for 92 firefighters should be statistical cause for a tax payer revolt. That's an officer for every 2.3 firefighters.

Or, is it 40 officers for 92 EMT ambulance attendants? Either way, it's 4 more years of it thanks to Ryan, Abdelazim, Silberstein, and a gutless City Council.

Unfortunately for us taxpayers, this fiscal insanity is now portrayed statistically, and as this entire area continues on its slide to economic oblivion, the out of touch cowardly political leaders and the "I got mine" Firefighters couldn't care less.

Well, remember this at the next election or you'll certainly remember it when your company lays you off or when you can't pay your water bill.

Guest wondering

Ok, so say we vote to dissolve and the fire/police/DPW go with it. WHO is going to be the first responders to all of the emergencies? The police (from where? sheriff?) to crimes, the volunteers from TOU for fires, and the volunteer EMT's from where...Chenango/TOU? Who is going to be in charge of snow removal, TOU so will they just hire people from JC to work since their jobs will be gone? What does that leave old JC (who is now dissolved into the TOU)...worse off than it is now. JC needs guidance, JC needs people in high places who care. This isn't even the Village of JC-- this is all small areas in the state of NY. Think about how much we pay for all of our taxes combined. Half of the population doesn't even have kids in school anymore yet they pay enormous amounts for them. Atleast you can see what you pay for with the village/town tax. Your streets get plowed, your water is safe, your streets are protected and you know someone will be there in a jiff with any other type of emergency be it car accident, heart attack, or fire. Lets not jump the gun here...lets get some common people in office and see what can be done...for the people.

@

Guest Guest

Dissolution of the village does not mean the fire department is automatically gone. Fire protection will still be required - whether it is career or volunteer. The existing Town of Union fire departments will not provide fire protection for the Village of JC. You can't expect Endwell or Prospect Terrace residents to pay for JC's fire protection. A special tax district will have to be created along the current village boundaries (regardless of how the FD is staffed).

Career fire departments are expensive, but volunteers are far from free. Only village residents can decide what level of protection they want to pay for. Don't assume that a career fire service will automatically be gone if the village is dissolved - that is a separate discussion.

Guest Guest

Dissolution is just one possible option. Unfortunately, it has become an option primarily because our elected officials have not acted as responsible leaders and have allowed the cost of running a Village to get completely out of control while a complacent public sat back and kept re-electing them. And, a major contributing cost was and continues to be the Fire Department. As with Binghamton, throughout the years the highly effective Fire Department union has gone to the table year in and year and come away with salaries and benefits that at the time might have seemed reasonable. It would appear that nobody ever had the gumption to question whether the provision of Public Safety was being undertaken in the most efficient manner. We needed it and we could afford it. But now, as our community slips further towards becoming an economic overtaxed wasteland, their attractive salary and benefit packages now attract close examination by a concerned and informed public. It's why you've recently begun to see angry threads concerning the use of Fire Department vehicles for grocery shopping and trips to the ball parks to watch the kids play games.

Now taxpayers see that out of over 2000 calls to the JCFD, less than 60 were fire related. The public is pretty much getting fed up with its all. Pushed up against the wall, our community economic survival demands that options be pursued. Whether it's dissolution or consolidation or reverting to paying volunteers a stipend without benefits, something has to change. And no doubt it will. It has to.

@

I would like to see a better breakdown of the numbers. Such as unfounded calls, canceled calls, false alarms and the like. I'm sure there is a breakdown somewhere.

Guest Guest
Ok, so say we vote to dissolve and the fire/police/DPW go with it. WHO is going to be the first responders to all of the emergencies? The police (from where? sheriff?) to crimes, the volunteers from TOU for fires, and the volunteer EMT's from where...Chenango/TOU? Who is going to be in charge of snow removal, TOU so will they just hire people from JC to work since their jobs will be gone? What does that leave old JC (who is now dissolved into the TOU)...worse off than it is now. JC needs guidance, JC needs people in high places who care. This isn't even the Village of JC-- this is all small areas in the state of NY. Think about how much we pay for all of our taxes combined. Half of the population doesn't even have kids in school anymore yet they pay enormous amounts for them. Atleast you can see what you pay for with the village/town tax. Your streets get plowed, your water is safe, your streets are protected and you know someone will be there in a jiff with any other type of emergency be it car accident, heart attack, or fire. Lets not jump the gun here...lets get some common people in office and see what can be done...for the people.

@

I agree BUT COME ON..THEY SHOULD NOT GET FREE MEDICAL INSURANCE..WHERE IN THE WORLD DO PEOPLE GET THAT NOW ADAYS..GIVE ME A BREAK

I agree BUT COME ON..THEY SHOULD NOT GET FREE MEDICAL INSURANCE..WHERE IN THE WORLD DO PEOPLE GET THAT NOW ADAYS..GIVE ME A BREAK

Um... employees of New York State for one. Corporation bigwigs for another. What do you care if they get free insurance? Does it take away from yours?

Guest Guest

The Binghamton Police do.

Guest resident

Paid Health Insurance and not using tax funds and Village property wisely affects all taxpayers in the Village. On another note, how can working 24 hours straight with 24 hours off possibly be the best bang for our buck? No one is at their best performance level after being at work for 24 hours. Why not have a 40 hour work week with five 8-hr. days and have the firefighters shifts stagared to have the coverage? Being paid to sleep seems so counter productive considering what this village is facing. And to those that say they drive Village vehicles around (shopping, bill paying, etc) so that they can answer a call if they get an emergency - I agree and with that said I propose that you take over some other Village functions - say clean up in the parks for example - you can use your own concept - take an emergency vehicle with you and in case you get a call, you will be ready. Just some thoughts to consider. Sorry so long.

Guest JOHN HOLMES
They are worth their weight in gold when you need them. Voulenteers could not even come close to do what these professionals do.

Guest Ignorance
How many of those med calls are they counting that they don't even get on scene and they are canceled? It's still a number even though they are canceled while in route. This is not a put down, just a curious question.

@

Practically EVERY SINGLE Fire Department in America that runs EMS alongside Fire calls has less than 10% being Fire related. JC is no different. That's just the way it is. Do some research if you don't believe me. Syracuse had over 20,000 calls last year, 1,286 were Fire related. Maybe they should switch to a combonation department since they don't run that many Fire calls huh? Somebody has to respond to those Medical calls. You would probably like to see somewhere more like 2-3 House fires a day though right? Ignorant Moron

Guest Guest
Dissolution of the village does not mean the fire department is automatically gone. Fire protection will still be required - whether it is career or volunteer. The existing Town of Union fire departments will not provide fire protection for the Village of JC. You can't expect Endwell or Prospect Terrace residents to pay for JC's fire protection. A special tax district will have to be created along the current village boundaries (regardless of how the FD is staffed).

Career fire departments are expensive, but volunteers are far from free. Only village residents can decide what level of protection they want to pay for. Don't assume that a career fire service will automatically be gone if the village is dissolved - that is a separate discussion.

Please don't tell me you're still counting on merging with Binghamton. Its not going to happen.

Guest Ignorance
2016 CALLS........58 FIRE RELATED!

OR

97% OF THEIR CALL ARE UNRELATED TO FIGHTING FIRES! 97%!!!!!!

How did things get so crazy? Is there a video of the Fire Chief admitting to this in front of a Village Dissolution Committee?

My goodness, that had to be a very difficult proposition for him.

Has the recent Matt Ryan- Lotto winning Binghamton Fire Department divulged their statistics? Just the fact that they have 40 officers for 92 firefighters should be statistical cause for a tax payer revolt. That's an officer for every 2.3 firefighters.

Or, is it 40 officers for 92 EMT ambulance attendants? Either way, it's 4 more years of it thanks to Ryan, Abdelazim, Silberstein, and a gutless City Council.

Unfortunately for us taxpayers, this fiscal insanity is now portrayed statistically, and as this entire area continues on its slide to economic oblivion, the out of touch cowardly political leaders and the "I got mine" Firefighters couldn't care less.

Well, remember this at the next election or you'll certainly remember it when your company lays you off or when you can't pay your water bill.

Sorry...this is the post I meant to quote on the previous post.

Guest Guest
Looks like you gentlemen showed the people of JC exactly what you DO NOT DO all week and get paid for.

thanks for the info.

I vote Volunteer.

Thats 3 calls a day and JC has what 2 or 3 firehouses? That is 1 or 1.5 calls per house per day. Are you serious?

Archived