CV School Board

Guest Guest

Guest Guest
Spin? How can you be so certain that Hussar is the one to blame? Or that he has filed for bankruptcy? He has only been president for one year, couldn't past presidents have uncovered this erroneous error? You don't loose 3 million dollars in one year. Perhaps the only reason this error was found was because Hussar is a sound business man. Furthermore what do you know about school politics and policy are you privy to all the information discussed? Are you the absolute authority? It seems as though your presenting much of your information as "Facts" but where is your proof? What are your sources? If you don't have any then you have no grounds in which to speak on.

No one has the info the board is privileged to have - Executive sessions are closed off. If you know something - than you are Hussar (or his friend, lover, ect).

Why are you so strong in protecting this man??

Hey - 3 million is a lot of money. Who will answer to the questions? Not Hussar. He may not be the one to blame but sitting on a completed audit for 6 months until the newspaper digs it up - your hiding something. Who was he protecting? Himself?

Why did we have to wait 6 months? I'm sure they wanted this to come out after the election.

All the scum things that Hussar did by not telling the people that elected him makes him a PART of the problem. He should step aside and not rewarded.

Yea - it's the retired business guys fault - but he's gone. No answers from him.

No answer from the super. He's part of it.

Who was watching the store? Hussar? He may have only been board prez for 1 year but he's been on the board for 5 years. What did he do over 5 years? Looks like nothing.

No heads are going to roll within the school admin. Hussar was suppose to protect us - he didn't.

If he didn't know? --- then he needs to be replaced with someone that does go the extra mike to save all taxpayers 3 million.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Guest
The BO and administration acted responsibly. They found the error, and immediately acted upon it. Just because that didn't include releasing the information prematurely doesn't mean they were wrong. It was a judgement call, and the community volunteers - your neighbors - agreed that it would be prudent to work with the state comptroller's office and others to get to the bottom of the problem, and initiate a plan of action to remedy it. My best guess is that you would have been the first to jump on the bandwagon to condemn them even if they had released the information immediately. There's just no winning with some people.

Are you kidding?

As soon as the report was finished it was public information. The board didn't change one thing in the report - when they accepted it - it was public information. They should have addressed it right away. Been transparent. That is what gov't is suppose to be.

What was the board waiting for? More chance to find a way to delay the fact they are part of CV losing 3 million dollars.

If my neighbors were part of covering up 3 million dollars missing I would expect them to do the right thing. Informing the public of a mistake and also including that the state is investigating it would have been at least what they should have done.

This is not National Security - it's a school. A school paid for with my money. Lots of it is missing and I now have to pay more. I want to know why as soon as possible. Don't wait 6 months to tell me I'm not a child.

No one is winning with this - The admin of CV lost 3 million dollars. The people are stuck with the bill.

Guest Guest
Are you kidding?

As soon as the report was finished it was public information. The board didn't change one thing in the report - when they accepted it - it was public information. They should have addressed it right away. Been transparent. That is what gov't is suppose to be.

What was the board waiting for? More chance to find a way to delay the fact they are part of CV losing 3 million dollars.

If my neighbors were part of covering up 3 million dollars missing I would expect them to do the right thing. Informing the public of a mistake and also including that the state is investigating it would have been at least what they should have done.

This is not National Security - it's a school. A school paid for with my money. Lots of it is missing and I now have to pay more. I want to know why as soon as possible. Don't wait 6 months to tell me I'm not a child.

No one is winning with this - The admin of CV lost 3 million dollars. The people are stuck with the bill.

So, if you're so knowledgeable about the issue, where were you tonight? Not at the board meeting. If so, you were awfully quiet. No, it's more your style to just keep stirring the pot. Get the real information! The board is working dilligently to resolve this. We are a community. Let's work together on this, and stop assigning blame...especially when you don't know the facts.

Guest Guest
So, if you're so knowledgeable about the issue, where were you tonight? Not at the board meeting. If so, you were awfully quiet. No, it's more your style to just keep stirring the pot. Get the real information! The board is working dilligently to resolve this. We are a community. Let's work together on this, and stop assigning blame...especially when you don't know the facts.

Yep - you're right - lets just skip the blame part. It's no ones fault. CV is special. Every other admin team in the area seems to get the budget right (plus or minus $100,000) but CV comes up 3 million in the whole and I am suppose to believe the board.

Nothing we can do now. We'll tax you all more for the 3 million. Nothing has changed in how the district is doing it's $$ work. Oh - they are going to put in safe guards. This will never happen again.. This seemed to be the tone of the meeting tonight. Nothing to blame. Can't say it won't happen again 'cause we have the same Super.

Nothing is going to stop this from happening again. No real answers tonight.

Let's work together - what choice do we have.

Stop assigning blame. I'm glad your kids do live in my district. No one is to blame. I have 3 million reasons to think you are wrong. I'm a little short on $ this week. Can I have money (oh - how about $3,000,000) and never be accountable to you for it again

FACT - 3 million dollars is missing from the budget process and I now have to come up with it. That's a life time of money and you are missing that this # ---$3,000,000 is coming out of our back pockets.

@

Guest Guest
Yep - you're right - lets just skip the blame part. It's no ones fault. CV is special. Every other admin team in the area seems to get the budget right (plus or minus $100,000) but CV comes up 3 million in the whole and I am suppose to believe the board.

Nothing we can do now. We'll tax you all more for the 3 million. Nothing has changed in how the district is doing it's $$ work. Oh - they are going to put in safe guards. This will never happen again.. This seemed to be the tone of the meeting tonight. Nothing to blame. Can't say it won't happen again 'cause we have the same Super.

Nothing is going to stop this from happening again. No real answers tonight.

Let's work together - what choice do we have.

Stop assigning blame. I'm glad your kids do live in my district. No one is to blame. I have 3 million reasons to think you are wrong. I'm a little short on $ this week. Can I have money (oh - how about $3,000,000) and never be accountable to you for it again

FACT - 3 million dollars is missing from the budget process and I now have to come up with it. That's a life time of money and you are missing that this # ---$3,000,000 is coming out of our back pockets.

@

FACT - 4 You are totally clueless. And, no doubt, nothing will change that.

Guest cv student

1)I hate ignorant parents.

2)Why are you so upset that they waited to release the info until they were sure the numbers were right? The first thing that comes to mind is about a year ago(could have been more) when those miners died in the mine, but the officials hurried to release a statement before they were sure, and claimed that some were alive. Remember how bad that was? So now they actually do the right thing and make sure they're not making a false statement, and you do nothing but complain. Awesome.

Guest guest
The BO and administration acted responsibly. They found the error, and immediately acted upon it. Just because that didn't include releasing the information prematurely doesn't mean they were wrong. It was a judgement call, and the community volunteers - your neighbors - agreed that it would be prudent to work with the state comptroller's office and others to get to the bottom of the problem, and initiate a plan of action to remedy it. My best guess is that you would have been the first to jump on the bandwagon to condemn them even if they had released the information immediately. There's just no winning with some people.

I'm not quite sure why you are so adamant in defending the indefensible. You may prefer to stay uninformed and in the dark but residents like myself prefer to be informed. Whomever first suggested that everybody on the Board clam up and remain mum should - frankly - be horsewhipped. The taxpayers are not children who are supposed to remain clueless. The Board has compounded their problems with the community by refusing to be forthright and honest from the beginning. If the district returns Hussar to the Board, then the residents deserve to be treated as children.

Guest guest
Spin? How can you be so certain that Hussar is the one to blame? Or that he has filed for bankruptcy? He has only been president for one year, couldn't past presidents have uncovered this erroneous error? You don't loose 3 million dollars in one year. Perhaps the only reason this error was found was because Hussar is a sound business man. Furthermore what do you know about school politics and policy are you privy to all the information discussed? Are you the absolute authority? It seems as though your presenting much of your information as "Facts" but where is your proof? What are your sources? If you don't have any then you have no grounds in which to speak on.

TRANSLATION: All of you peons have no right to question the almighty judgement of the School Board, They know more than you. They are smarter than you. Just keep your yaps shut and take whatever swill the Board chooses to dispense with. You want the truth? YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!! Now go away and quit questioning your superiors.

@

Guest guest
1)I hate ignorant parents.

2)Why are you so upset that they waited to release the info until they were sure the numbers were right? The first thing that comes to mind is about a year ago(could have been more) when those miners died in the mine, but the officials hurried to release a statement before they were sure, and claimed that some were alive. Remember how bad that was? So now they actually do the right thing and make sure they're not making a false statement, and you do nothing but complain. Awesome.

Here's a better analogy: Your dad leaves the house in the morning to go to work in the mines. He doesn't return home at his normal time. You call the president of the company and ask about the whereabouts of your dad. The president tells you that he can't say anything yet until all the facts are right and they have been thoroughly analyzed. After all, they don't want to make a false statement. Once a plan is in place - maybe six months from now - he'll tell you about what happened to your dad. Are you OK with this?

Guest CVstudent
Here's a better analogy: Your dad leaves the house in the morning to go to work in the mines. He doesn't return home at his normal time. You call the president of the company and ask about the whereabouts of your dad. The president tells you that he can't say anything yet until all the facts are right and they have been thoroughly analyzed. After all, they don't want to make a false statement. Once a plan is in place - maybe six months from now - he'll tell you about what happened to your dad. Are you OK with this?

No, if it took 6 months for them to figure out he was dead then I would see something wrong with it. But these circumstances are different, there was alot of paperwork involved I'm sure, and I'm also sure it was re-counted and re-analyzed probably 10 times because no one wants to be that guy who made a mistake in the math and accidentally reports a $3million deficit.

But there too, I am sure it didnt take 6 months to make sure the numbers were right. Part of it was that it's just bad publicity. Maybe they thought that if it stayed under the radar, and they got the $3million loan from the state, that it would be alright. Either way, like they said, mistakes were made. All we can do is make the corrections and adjustments that need to be made and move on. In reality, the %14 tax increase isn't the end of the world. The taxes were going to increase about 6 or 7 percent anyway, so it's an extra 100 or so a year, depending on the property assessment. Sure it's more, and it might be a lil harder for some families, but theres not much you can do.

@

Guest CV resident
No, if it took 6 months for them to figure out he was dead then I would see something wrong with it. But these circumstances are different, there was alot of paperwork involved I'm sure, and I'm also sure it was re-counted and re-analyzed probably 10 times because no one wants to be that guy who made a mistake in the math and accidentally reports a $3million deficit.

But there too, I am sure it didnt take 6 months to make sure the numbers were right. Part of it was that it's just bad publicity. Maybe they thought that if it stayed under the radar, and they got the $3million loan from the state, that it would be alright. Either way, like they said, mistakes were made. All we can do is make the corrections and adjustments that need to be made and move on. In reality, the %14 tax increase isn't the end of the world. The taxes were going to increase about 6 or 7 percent anyway, so it's an extra 100 or so a year, depending on the property assessment. Sure it's more, and it might be a lil harder for some families, but theres not much you can do.

@

Of course there is A LOT that you or anyone else can do. Vote for Elliot and another new candidate. If you vote for Hussar then you deserve to pay 14.44% more a year. INSANE!

@

Guest guest

Read the news today, o-boy.

How much more can CV residents absorb? No incumbent should be re-elected. Hussar is the architect of the Board's policy of secrecy and should be the first to be sent packing. The Board must think we are all idiots. Enough is enough!

Guest Guest
Hussar filing for bakruptcy is false information.

@

oh no it is not. filed bankruptcy when he had his nationwide insurance office on riverside drive in binghamton. he is a loser.

Guest Guest
oh no it is not. filed bankruptcy when he had his nationwide insurance office on riverside drive in binghamton. he is a loser.

if the truth were to be known, he is trying to sell his office on oakdale road in johnson city before he loses that to the bank. the guy is NO GOOD. he is a bankrupt just waiting to do it all over again.

Guest Guest
if the truth were to be known, he is trying to sell his office on oakdale road in johnson city before he loses that to the bank. the guy is NO GOOD. he is a bankrupt just waiting to do it all over again.

The 3 million dollar question that Hussar needs to answer ---- Why did he let the business manager retire when they knew he messed up so bad. That looks like a cover up. Why didn't they go after the business guy for not doing his duties. Hussar is a bum.

For all those jumping on Mr. Elliott's bandwagon, let me share two concerns:

1. He is a teacher. One problem all districts face is that teachers are not contributing enough toward their health care. In addition, come negotiation time they continue to claim they are underpaid. With starting salaries around $40K, relatively low health care contributions, 10+ weeks of vacation per year, and a great retirement system they are already being fairly compensated. But it is in any teachers best interest to keep health insurance contributions down and salaries up. Another candidate, Ms. Clapper is also a teacher.

2. Mr. Elliott wrote a letter to the editor in the PSB this week that basically just bashed the board and administration with old news. If he had provided some new insight/information or some well thought out questions/criticisms, I'd give him some credit. It looks like he just took the opportunity to stir things up for political gain. I also question the wisdom of someone who would bash a group of people in public this way when he is going to have to work closely with this group if he gets elected.

Mr. Elliott does not get my vote.

Guest guest

1. He is a teacher. One problem all districts face is that teachers are not contributing enough toward their health care. In addition, come negotiation time they continue to claim they are underpaid. With starting salaries around $40K, relatively low health care contributions, 10+ weeks of vacation per year, and a great retirement system they are already being fairly compensated. But it is in any teachers best interest to keep health insurance contributions down and salaries up. Another candidate, Ms. Clapper is also a teacher.

2. Mr. Elliott wrote a letter to the editor in the PSB this week that basically just bashed the board and administration with old news. If he had provided some new insight/information or some well thought out questions/criticisms, I'd give him some credit. It looks like he just took the opportunity to stir things up for political gain. I also question the wisdom of someone who would bash a group of people in public this way when he is going to have to work closely with this group if he gets elected.

Two points: Yes, Elliot is a teacher. But let's keep in mind that a teacher or teachers did NOT get the district into the current financial problems. So-called "business people" did. Don't blame the teachers for the missing $3 million and financial miscues. The guy has a firm grasp on how schools operate and should be run. So I don't have a problem with that.

Secondly, I also read Mr. Eliot's letter and In a short format he made an excellent point. The current Board sat on the whole situation for many months and refused to open up to the public. I guess if this is stirring up things for political gain, then STIR AWAY. In fact, the Board needs much more of this "stirring" Elliot gets my vote.......and just about everyone else that I have talked to.

Guest Guest

I agree! Mr. Elliot did something similar at the last board meeting. After the budget was presented, he stood up and spoke as if he hadn't heard one thing that had been presented. Another gentleman from the community,who was also critical and upset about the budget, had provided thought provoking comments which certainly indicated that he heard the whole presentation. Mr. Elliot on the contrary, seized the opportunity to make his grand stand as a candidate. To me, it looked like he was just trying to fan the flames, and promote himself. He offered no solutions, nor did he present in a cool and level headed manner. These are serious issues and as a community we have a right to ask serious, hard questions. But we need people who can get beyond their own agenda, and help CV move forward in a direction that's the best for the taxpayers and the students. Based on his letter to the editor, and his perfomance at the Board Meeting, it does not appear the Mr. Elliot is the man for the job.

Guest Disgusted CV Taxpayer
I agree! Mr. Elliot did something similar at the last board meeting. After the budget was presented, he stood up and spoke as if he hadn't heard one thing that had been presented. Another gentleman from the community,who was also critical and upset about the budget, had provided thought provoking comments which certainly indicated that he heard the whole presentation. Mr. Elliot on the contrary, seized the opportunity to make his grand stand as a candidate. To me, it looked like he was just trying to fan the flames, and promote himself. He offered no solutions, nor did he present in a cool and level headed manner. These are serious issues and as a community we have a right to ask serious, hard questions. But we need people who can get beyond their own agenda, and help CV move forward in a direction that's the best for the taxpayers and the students. Based on his letter to the editor, and his perfomance at the Board Meeting, it does not appear the Mr. Elliot is the man for the job.

Hearing footsteps, Mr. Hussar?

Guest guest

Now help me to understand this.......... you guys on the board lose $3 million, you put the district in debt for ten years, you jack the tax levy up to a stunning 14.4%, you allow the business executive to retire early (does he know where the bodies are buried?), and then you guys keep everything a secret for six months..........and you're jumping all over some guy who dared to criticize you in a letter to the editor????????????????????? I don't think you get it. In fact, I KNOW you guys don't get it. NO INCUMBENTS!!!!!

Guest Retiredtoflorida

I retired to Florida to get away from the high NY State and school taxes. I lived in the CV district since 1939 and paid my fair share in school taxes. All our kids went through the CV schools and yes they had a good education but the taxes back then were tolerable and they had smart people on the school board and in the administration. One Super, one principal for each school, those being Port dickinson, Chenage Bridge, and Nimunsburg. Things began to fall apart when it was decided by someone in the CV school system that they had to up the Supers salary, add on assistants to the Super, a principal for each and every school and assistants to the principals. In 1959, my school taxes were $49 a year and the level of education was beter than today. I started my schooling at Port Dickinson and I guess I can proudly say I had a good education from the system. It is broke. I have been on a fixed income for 18 years without an annual increase. I have friends back there that are worse off than I and they may have to leave or they may have to cut their food budget, reduce their driving to 1 or 2 days a week, cut their church contributions, quit their volunteer for meals on wheels or at the local food pantry, visit their grandchildren only once or twice a month. In my cirumstance, I can afford to live in Florida because I have divested myself of all my NY State tax burden. I was fortunate to be able to sell and move when things were affordable to do so. If I was to be there now, I'd be like the rest of the poor low fixed income people, stuck and unable to move (unaffordble), trying to dedcide how to pay the increase without loosing my home or having food on the table or paying the high price for my medications. Don't get on your high horse and think just because I live in Florida I'm a Bill Gates. You probably can buy and sell me three times over. You got the money, you pay the taxes. Good luck.

Guest Guest
Hearing footsteps, Mr. Hussar?
Footsteps? Nah, all I hear is a wanna be board member licking his chops. This opportunist is not the white knight, lol! Look, I don't even know Hussar. I'm basing my primary judgement on Elliot's presentation at the Board Meeting. He wasn't able to speak intelligently, and it appeared to me, that he was trying to stir things up rather than present a level headed course of action. Hussar may not be the right choice either. But before everyone jumps on this guy's bandwagon, I think they need to take a closer look. I for one, would like to have someone on the board with more accounting experience, but it looks like that's not gonna happen. So, from what there is to choose from, I hope we get the person with some expertise, who is able to rationally present his views and work cooperatively with the other board members. IMO, that's not Elliot.

@

Guest Guest

Ciullo and Hussar need to speak up and take some responsibility for the mess. So does the rest of the board. $3 million didn't disappear overnight. Isn't it time Slocum admitted he screwed up? CV taxpayers should not be the ones to clean up the mess!!

Guest Guest

He's a tax payer.

He's a dad.

Talk to Stu. I've known him for years and he is thoughtful about being a teacher running for school board. He's a good man and conservative in his finance. I wouldn't call him a union man.

------------------------------------

The editorial was a comment abut what the present board had done. About the board being no being transparent. The board has had 6 months to come up with response and Elliott's repose to this mess rang clear on the 3 million reasons to be mad at the board CV has. I need someone to question the board. I need someone to be mad about this. I need a community member I trust to make sure it never happens again.

Archived