JCFiremen

Guest HEY!!

Guest HEY!!

Huuuum!! 2 days a week=8 days a mounth=96 days a year. right?

now subtract 2 weeks vacation (some get more) =82 days per yr.

subtract holidays and sick time, lets say minus 10 days ( could be more)= 72 days a yr.

now were else can you find a job where you only work 72 days (and sleep nights) a year and make $45,000 plus benefits and mega overtime.

Guest Guest

UM ... Drear someone who is so smart. try adding up the hrs per week that they work compared to your job........Well, what did you come up with. I now, its about the same. That is if you count your welfare as a job.

@

Guest guest resident

Hours worked or sleeping? 24 hour shifts are ridiculous. Does anyone agree? I realize that this gives them all time to persue other full time positions but it does not seem right to me.

Hours worked or sleeping? 24 hour shifts are ridiculous. Does anyone agree? I realize that this gives them all time to persue other full time positions but it does not seem right to me.

I agree! Why have 24 hour shifts? It's not like firemen have a job WHERE THEY NEED TO BE ON CALL ALL HOURS OF THE DAY!

Fires sleep. So do emergency medical situations. I say make firefighting a 9-5 monday through friday job.

There is nothing sadder than people on this board complaining about firemen and policemen. It may sound cliche, but first responders like firemen and police officers are what keep our fragile society from tipping into sheer pandemonium. Let these people do their jobs. There is a reason they work the hours they do; for the safety and security of the general public

Guest guest

How did the Village residents survive before 1st responders were started in the village 10 years ago? It was covered by UVES that's right volunteer's

People were getting medical attention when the needed it. We act like people were dropping dead on every street corner. Yes the firemen are iportant and they do a great service but the cost of that service has gonew way out of hand

Finally the thing that bother me about FDJC is they act like the are the FDNY. They wouldn't last a day in Manhattan cover their calls!!!!

Huuuum!! 2 days a week=8 days a mounth=96 days a year. right?

now subtract 2 weeks vacation (some get more) =82 days per yr.

subtract holidays and sick time, lets say minus 10 days ( could be more)= 72 days a yr.

now were else can you find a job where you only work 72 days (and sleep nights) a year and make $45,000 plus benefits and mega overtime.

How many times at your job have you got out of bed to go fight a fire?

They don't always get to sleep idiot

They deserve vacation

Fire's and Emergency's don't take holidays which mean they dont either

And you have never got sick and had to take time off? DOUBT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And they have "MEGA overtime" because your on here running your mouth instead of signing up to help because you know how to do it so much better ! RIGHT?

If I were a JC resident, the firemen are the LEAST of my concerns.

TWS

I must differ with you TWS, if you were a resident of Johnson City and had the ever increasing Village Tax Bill to pay than the JCFD would be of concern because they cost this SMALL Village well over 3 MILLION DOLLARS annually, more than any other department and a lot of the Village Firefighters (including Chief Michalovic) reside in Volunteer Districts ! We have 2 active Fire Stations and 45 paid Firefighters to cover this SMALL area. There is a Binghamton Fire Station located just 1 mile from the JC Border, we can either consolidate with the BFD, go completely Volunteer or a combined Paid and Volunteer Department, but we simply cannot afford a paid Fire Department ( Chief Michalovics salary was almost $86,000 last year.) Because of their very generous salaries, benefits (free health insurance) and pension plans they are bleeding this Village dry and it simply cannot continue in todays economy. This problem started years and years ago when Mayor Lewis simply agreed to anything and everything (raises in salary and equipment) that the Fire Department Union demanded.

Guest guest
I must differ with you TWS, if you were a resident of Johnson City and had the ever increasing Village Tax Bill to pay than the JCFD would be of concern because they cost this SMALL Village well over 3 MILLION DOLLARS annually, more than any other department and a lot of the Village Firefighters (including Chief Michalovic) reside in Volunteer Districts ! We have 2 active Fire Stations and 45 paid Firefighters to cover this SMALL area. There is a Binghamton Fire Station located just 1 mile from the JC Border, we can either consolidate with the BFD, go completely Volunteer or a combined Paid and Volunteer Department, but we simply cannot afford a paid Fire Department ( Chief Michalovics salary was almost $86,000 last year.) Because of their very generous salaries, benefits (free health insurance) and pension plans they are bleeding this Village dry and it simply cannot continue in todays economy. This problem started years and years ago when Mayor Lewis simply agreed to anything and everything (raises in salary and equipment) that the Fire Department Union demanded.

Hey John I hope that you do a better job at wachovia with numbers that you do on this board. The police department according to the village budget is the most expensive.

Guest HEY!!
How many times at your job have you got out of bed to go fight a fire?

They don't always get to sleep idiot

They deserve vacation

Fire's and Emergency's don't take holidays which mean they dont either

And you have never got sick and had to take time off? DOUBT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And they have "MEGA overtime" because your on here running your mouth instead of signing up to help because you know how to do it so much better ! RIGHT?

answer to your questions

1 use to but don't anymore.

2 but you do get paid for sleeping, right. when i was working if i got caught sleeping i was fired!!

3 why? you get 5 days a week off. if you didn't have another job/business you wouldn't need one.

4 but you get compensated for the holidays you work.money or time off? right.

5 yes, idid have to take time off for beign sick. but, i have to pay for my medical insurance,$300.00 + a mounth and i also have to pay for my percriptions, I don't have any $5/$10 co-pay

6 wrong i do VOLUNTEER many hours per mounth.

answer to your questions

2 but you do get paid for sleeping, right. when i was working if i got caught sleeping i was fired!!

3 why? you get 5 days a week off. if you didn't have another job/business you wouldn't need one.

5 yes, idid have to take time off for beign sick. but, i have to pay for my medical insurance,$300.00 + a mounth and i also have to pay for my percriptions, I don't have any $5/$10 co-pay

Right but the holiday at the station is time away from family

They deserve insurance

GET OVER YOURSELF

Guest guest
answer to your questions

What the heck is a mounth? I first thought it was a typyo but you have referenced mounth more that once.

Guest Southsider

Yeah, lets just have firefighters on duty from 9-5 because you think fires take a break.  Try telling that to the poor family on Eldredge St from this morning.  If there hadn't been firefighters on duty, that child would not have had a fighting chance.  They were on scene and making rescues in less than 4 minutes.  I was listening to it while working.  Fires take a break!!! Give me a break and get real. 

Guest Guest

To Debber, there are many, many jobs where people have to work on Holidays and are away from their families.

Dispatchers, Nurses, Police Officers, Letter Carriers ( to deliver Express Mail) EMT Personnel, Warehouse Employees, employees of Nursing Homes, Taxi Cab Drivers, etc. just to name a few and I'm sure there are many more, so don't make it seem like a firefighter is the only one who may have to work on a Holiday......

To Debber, there are many, many jobs where people have to work on Holidays and are away from their families.

Dispatchers, Nurses, Police Officers, Letter Carriers ( to deliver Express Mail) EMT Personnel, Warehouse Employees, employees of Nursing Homes, Taxi Cab Drivers, etc. just to name a few and I'm sure there are many more, so don't make it seem like a firefighter is the only one who may have to work on a Holiday......

Your an idiot, Get over yourself I hope your house burns down idiot face

@

Guest Guest

That is really an intelligent statement.

These firemen are going to fight for themselves till the end.

Residents of JC have to see we do NOT need them. The child on eldridge would have been saved by a volunteer also.

The chief of JCFD (for now) lives in a volunteer area as many other firemen. they dont pay JC taxes so they dont care if they have been ripping us off for years.

THEY HAVE TO GO BYE BYE!!!

Residents of JC have to see we do NOT need them. The child on eldridge would have been saved by a volunteer also.

The chief of JCFD (for now) lives in a volunteer area as many other firemen. they dont pay JC taxes so they dont care if they have been ripping us off for years.

Yeah they would have been saved by a volunteer as well But the responce time may have been longer, so what was a rescue may have turned into a recovery, It's sad the way you think

Get over yourself

Guest guest resident

Someone is clearly misunderstanding. No one stated that they should not be manned 24-7 simply that no one person should be working a 24-hour shift and that no one should be paid taxpayer dollars for sleeping. IN simple terms... some work 8-5, others come in at 9 or 10 and work until 6 or 7 and some others come in at noon and work until 9pm and still others, get it? Now I realize that this would not allow some to have other jobs but it still make some sense.

Guest Idiot

You're an idiot. That kid is in Critical condition and you think he would have survived if he waited 5 more minutes for Volunteers to show up???? That is the stupidest statement of the year on this site. Those guys rescued that child in the nick of time. I'd say 1 more minute tops and that kid is gone. Same with the guy they rescued last month right around the corner. Mere seconds were the difference between these 2 victims surviving or dying. Don't come on here and state BS about Volly's woulda saved that kid. It woulda been impossible. Not because of their knowledge or skills, but because of time.

@

Guest guest

Do you have to risk your life at your job? It's not enough pay if you ask me. People complain about the amount a fireman is making, meanwhile others are paid millions for singing a song or hitting a baseball. Twisted!

Guest Guest
You obviously have never seen volunteers work or the paid FD work. you would change your tune.

Go back to the station and wash a truck.

Humor me as to why you made this comment. Timing is everything. Volunteers simply can't get there fast enough, bottom line.

@

Guest Guest

It's very simple: Career & volunteers are different. Even though they share MANY similarities, there are a few BIG differences. First, as has been said before, timing is everything. Career FF's are in the station, volunteers are not - the career guys can get to an emergency faster. A few minutes can mean life or death. If volunteers were able to staff the fire stations then this wouldn't be an issue. But they can't so this IS an issue.

The second issue is that career and volunteers do NOT receive the same amount of training. Career firefighters are required to receive significantly more training than the volunteers and then must continue to receive a minimum level of annual training. Although New York State requires this for career FF's, there is no required training for volunteer FF's in NY. Let me state that again: There is no required training for volunteer FF's in NY. Obviously every volunteer fire department sets its own training standards, but there are no statewide requirements for volunteer firefighting (only OSHA/PESH requirements for bloodborne pathogens and such).

It is up the residents of the village to choose what level of fire protection they want. Volunteers are certainly capable of putting out fires, but they do not provide the same level of protection as a career fire department. It's up to the JC residents to decide what level of protection they are comfortable with and are able to afford.

BTW: I am not a career FF, I was a volunteer for nearly 20 years and enjoyed every minute of it and have nothing but respect for both career AND volunteer FF's.

Archived