Animal shedding

Guest Just Lookin

Guest Just Lookin

Ok everybody. I'm hoping that someone might have a good "remedy" to at least lessen a dogs shedding. I know its normal at this time of year to get rid of their winter coats, but my gosh I'm tired of having to vacuum twice a day to keep up with all that my golden retriever is leaving around. I brush her as much as possible and just wondering if there was some secret tip that someone is aware of that I could try. special shampoo? some vitamin? I'm open to any ideas!

And to the smart alecks, don't start with your crap talk...I'm not going to shave her!

Ok everybody. I'm hoping that someone might have a good "remedy" to at least lessen a dogs shedding. I know its normal at this time of year to get rid of their winter coats, but my gosh I'm tired of having to vacuum twice a day to keep up with all that my golden retriever is leaving around. I brush her as much as possible and just wondering if there was some secret tip that someone is aware of that I could try. special shampoo? some vitamin? I'm open to any ideas!

And to the smart alecks, don't start with your crap talk...I'm not going to shave her!

I had a Golden Retriever . I used a shop vac and vacuumed the dog himself . He loved it .

Guest Guest

I have shelties so I am with you...

I use Brewers yeast and garlic tablets give 1 tablet for each 10 lbs - great for controlling flras too

Guest Just Lookin
I had a Golden Retriever . I used a shop vac and vacuumed the dog himself . He loved it .

I thought about doing that, but she's what I call a "sissy girl" (but I love her to pieces anyway) and is afraid of the vacuum........heck she's afraid of anything with a loud noise.

I thought about doing that, but she's what I call a "sissy girl" (but I love her to pieces anyway) and is afraid of the vacuum........heck she's afraid of anything with a loud noise.

So much for my idea ... :( ..... You made a great choice picking a Golden Retriever ... I miss mine ....

Guest dogowner

You can buy the same type of shedding rake groomers use, but they are about 40 some bucks. Petco has them in a locked display. There are similar looking rakes, they they don't work as well.

@

Justlookin...

My dogs used to shed really bad! I switched the food I was giving them to a higher quality food and what a big difference! It does cost a bit more, BUT they eat less of it, they poop less (YEAH!) and they look much better without the shedding hair all the time.

You may want to try that for a while this time of year.

I have a Siberian Husky that no matter what you do or feed him he sheds enough fur to make another dog. The only thing that I have found that works is........brush....brush....brush....every day, like it or not.

Justlookin...

My dogs used to shed really bad! I switched the food I was giving them to a higher quality food and what a big difference! It does cost a bit more, BUT they eat less of it, they poop less (YEAH!) and they look much better without the shedding hair all the time.

You may want to try that for a while this time of year.

That's what I found by feeding my cats Science Diet, but I didn't know it also made them shed less?

I have a Siberian Husky that no matter what you do or feed him he sheds enough fur to make another dog. The only thing that I have found that works is........brush....brush....brush....every day, like it or not.

I have a husky and a great pyr. Since I changed them to blue buffalo, I have only have to brush once per week! I love it!!

That's what I found by feeding my cats Science Diet, but I didn't know it also made them shed less?

I had the saint on Science diet per my vet recommendation. Switched her (all of them) to Blue and I hardly see any shedding now. I brush once a week and they stay really nice looking! That is not to say they never shed, lol... just way less than in prior years on this brand.

Guest Guest

Doggie this and Doggie that.

Doesn't this site have anything better to talk about....LIKE REAL ISSUES WE ARE FACING !

Try taking your DOGGIE questions HERE

Guest Guest

Glucosamine tabs (1) 1000mg and (1) vitamin E 200 IU daily. Shiny coat less shedding and good muscles and hips to boot. Brush daily vacuum weekly with attachment. Shedding combs cut and ruin the coats and they become dull after awhile. Dog owner and handler since I was 12 years old. That was 30 some years ago. :rolleyes:

Try using Iam's adult dog food (blue bag) if the animal is over 6 months. Great food. PS use wire brush not bristles ;)

Good luck!

Guest Guest

Iams.com. ;) Try the $5 coupon

I won't use iams nor will I recommend it. Most animal lovers won't support them either.

http://www.uncaged.co.uk/iams.htm

The IAMS Company have funded and participated in laboratory experiments on hundreds of animals that caused kidney failure, obesity, malnutrition, liver damage, severe allergic reactions, stomach inflammation, diarrhoea, severe skin disorders, lesions, skin wounds and other painful illnesses, and animals have been kept in barren dungeon-like conditions.

Dogs have been force-fed vegetable oil, had chunks of muscle removed from their thighs, and been 'de-barked' by having their voice-boxes cut out in a painful and bloody procedure.

These companies also use animals for testing...

As mentioned above, the main culprits for cruel and unethical animal testing are the major international 'pet' food businesses.

IAMS / Eukanuba owned by Procter & Gamble

Hills Science Diet owned by Colgate Palmolive

The majority of pet food brands available in the UK are produced by two animal testing companies - "Nestlé Purina/Friskies" and "Pedigree, Masterfoods (Mars Inc)."

Nestlé Purina/Friskies: Alpo, Bonio, Felix, Go Cat, Gourmet, Omega Complete, Proplan, Spillers, Vital Balance, Winalot.

Pedigree, Masterfoods (Mars Inc): Bounce, Cesar, Chappie, Frolic, James Wellbeloved, Katkins, Kitekat, Pal, Pedigree Chum, Royal Canin, Sheba, Techni-cal (US & Canada), Whiskas. Pedigree also manufacture Thomas rabbit food and Trill bird food.

And before anybody starts, I am only putting the info out for educational purposes. If you chose to support one of these companies I could care less, I am not gonna preach about it to you. I just feel everybody has a right to make an informed decision when buying anything.

i have no issue when my pups ... eat purina one lamb and rice.. STOPPED eating poop ... actually the old girl moves better (shepard, hips starting to hurt her) but for 40 lbs and 30bucks .. have switch to agway lamb and rice .. they like it .. but not liking the way my ol girl is moving this last week , but seems they eat less..

ANY THOUGHTS?

Guest Guest
I won't use iams nor will I recommend it. Most animal lovers won't support them either.

http://www.uncaged.co.uk/iams.htm

These companies also use animals for testing...

As mentioned above, the main culprits for cruel and unethical animal testing are the major international 'pet' food businesses.

IAMS / Eukanuba owned by Procter & Gamble

Hills Science Diet owned by Colgate Palmolive

The majority of pet food brands available in the UK are produced by two animal testing companies - "Nestlé Purina/Friskies" and "Pedigree, Masterfoods (Mars Inc)."

Nestlé Purina/Friskies: Alpo, Bonio, Felix, Go Cat, Gourmet, Omega Complete, Proplan, Spillers, Vital Balance, Winalot.

Pedigree, Masterfoods (Mars Inc): Bounce, Cesar, Chappie, Frolic, James Wellbeloved, Katkins, Kitekat, Pal, Pedigree Chum, Royal Canin, Sheba, Techni-cal (US & Canada), Whiskas. Pedigree also manufacture Thomas rabbit food and Trill bird food.

And before anybody starts, I am only putting the info out for educational purposes. If you chose to support one of these companies I could care less, I am not gonna preach about it to you. I just feel everybody has a right to make an informed decision when buying anything.

Sounds like you're a kill joy and have nothing better to do than look up garbage not backed by facts!

Hope you're not using garbage foods that cost less from a grocery store.

If you won't spend a few extra bucks for your dog, don't own one. :angry:

My suggestion to you is back off Barbie!

Don't reply back to this with some garbage coming out of your mouth unless it's better than a 5th grade education english, essay response <_<

i have no issue when my pups ... eat purina one lamb and rice.. STOPPED eating poop ... actually the old girl moves better (shepard, hips starting to hurt her) but for 40 lbs and 30bucks .. have switch to agway lamb and rice .. they like it .. but not liking the way my ol girl is moving this last week , but seems they eat less..

ANY THOUGHTS?

Have you tried hydrajoint? Supposed to be excellent in helping with hip pain/issues of large breed dogs.

http://www.hydrajoint.com/hydrajoint2/default.asp

Just check with your vet first:)

Guest Guest

ANY THOUGHTS?

Glucosamine 1000mg daily.

Use Iams. Sam's club 44 lbs cheap price

Guest Guest

Glucosamine 1000mg daily.

Use Iams. Sam's club 44 lbs cheap price

:rolleyes:

Uses for aspirin

Dogs are most commonly given aspirin for treatment of arthritis and associated joint pain. There may be other situations where your dog is in pain, where aspirin may give relief.

Aspirin has good anti-inflammatory effects that reduces swelling. It can also reduce pain and fever. These effects will help make your dog more comfortable.

Note that a dog is not a human. Just because your dog "does not feel good" is not a reason to give it an aspirin. Usually, aspirin is given to relieve extreme conditions of discomfort. Also note that most vets prescribe Rimadyl as a better pain-killer and anti-inflammatory than aspirin.

Use caution

You should use caution In administering any medication to a pet, because too much may be toxic, the medicine may not be tolerated, or it can cause an upset stomach or ulcers in the animal.

Can be toxic

It can be toxic if given in high doses of about 30 mg per pound of the dog. This means that even baby aspirin could be poisonous for dogs weighing two pounds or less. An adult aspirin which is 320 mg. would be toxic for a 10-pound dog. To be sure that you are using the aspirin for the right reason and at the right dose, you should consult your veterinarian first.

Not for young dogs or cats

Aspirin is poorly tolerated by young dogs, since they lack the enzymes necessary to process the aspirin. The same is true for most cats.

Upset stomach

Aspirin can cause gastrointestinal upsets and ulcers in dogs, just as in humans. You should pay attention to your dog's eating habits when administering aspirin to watch for signs of an upset stomach. If there are any signs of ulcers, such as blood-tinged vomiting, it is important to stop the aspirin.

Giving the aspirin with food and using buffered aspirin is the best to prevent stomach problems.

I prefer to grind up the aspirin and put it in some food to make sure it does not irritate the stomach lining.

No Tylenol

You should not give your dog such products as Tylenol as a substitute for real aspirin. Some people say their vet prescribed Tylenol, but most sources say it should not be given to animals.

Recommended dosage

Most veterinarians recommend between 5 mg and 10 mg per pound of the dog's weight every 12 hours. Going on the safe side, a recommended dosage of aspirin of about 5 mg/lb seems to work well for most dogs. If you are going to give more, it is a good idea to check with your vet. Also, note that a small dog should take less per pound.

Enteric coated aspirin is not recommended in dogs because about half the time the coating isn't digested and the aspirin is excreted whole in the stool.

Start small

It is better to start off small and work your way up to the maximum. If the dog has relief with a smaller dosage, that is great.

A standard aspirin is 320 mg. A baby aspirin is typically 80 mg. That means that 5 mg/lb works out to be one baby aspirin per 16 pounds of body weight twice a day.

Chart

The following chart can be used as a guide. Note that this is not medical advice.

Weight of dog in pounds Number of tablets each 12 hours mg

8 1/2 baby aspirin or less 40 mg

16 1 baby aspirin 80 mg

32 1/2 adult or 2 baby 160 mg

48 3/4 adult or 3 baby 240 mg

64 1 adult or 4 baby 320 mg

80 1 1/4 adult or 5 baby 400 mg

96 1 1/2 adult or 6 baby 480 mg

Summary

The proper dosage of aspiring can give your dog relief from pain and inflammation. You should be aware of possible problems and know the proper dosage. It is good to check with a vet before giving any medication, and remember that dogs are not humans and don't need an aspirin for minor pains.

Guest dog owner

The shedding brush recommended is called the furminator. It is sold at most pet stores. I got mine at pet depot. It is around $30-40 depending on the size of your dog. Better dog food is also a good idea. I use Nutro, but also like Wellness, Merrick or Innova.

Guest Guest

Shedding is natural for animals. Do any of you folks who now have "less shedding" dogs notice anything different? Are they panting more in the summer? Seems like shedding is necessary in the summer so dogs don't overheat. Have there been any studies that show that your dog not losing its extra unnecessary fur is ok? Just wondering.

The Furminator is a wonderful tool. Gets out all the dead hair so it doesn't end up all over the house. I have one and it has made a big difference!

The shedding brush recommended is called the furminator. It is sold at most pet stores. I got mine at pet depot. It is around $30-40 depending on the size of your dog. Better dog food is also a good idea. I use Nutro, but also like Wellness, Merrick or Innova.

@

Archived