Child Health Care Plus

Guest guest

Guest guest

I am not sure how any one else feels but these TV ads for Child Health Care Plus grate against the grain. It seems that the message they are trying to get out is that there is nothing to worry about, all your medical needs for your children are free. And although I do believe that a child's heath should be looked after, I feel the message here is that "go ahead, have all the kids you want cause we will take care of them" Our taxes at work.

Guest Guest

I understand where you are coming from. If they just said, we all work hard but it is hard to afford good coverage, thank goodness for child health plus. It does come off as another freebie.

Guest Guest
I understand where you are coming from. If they just said, we all work hard but it is hard to afford good coverage, thank goodness for child health plus. It does come off as another freebie.

The woman in the commercial even says she didn't have to pay a thing.

@

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who gets irritated by this ad. The one particularly galling person is the woman who says that her daughter (with whom I sympathize) goes to the asthma clinic "and it doesn't cost me anything". Yeah, lady it doesn't cost YOU anything, just the rest of us. If YOU aren't paying, someone else is! I do feel for the kids, and don't begrudge them care, but the ads are in poor taste IMO - they kind of rub salt in the wound. Rant off.

Guest Guest

@

Our kids are on CHP and without it we would be sunk. My son has heart problems and his med costs over $300 a month and our daughter allergys keep up going to the Dr all the time. Thanks NYS.

@

Guest Guest
Our kids are on CHP and without it we would be sunk. My son has heart problems and his med costs over $300 a month and our daughter allergys keep up going to the Dr all the time. Thanks NYS.

@

How nice for you. In the meantime there are elderly that cannot afford their meds because "we have to make cuts somewhere"

Guest Guest
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who gets irritated by this ad. The one particularly galling person is the woman who says that her daughter (with whom I sympathize) goes to the asthma clinic "and it doesn't cost me anything". Yeah, lady it doesn't cost YOU anything, just the rest of us. If YOU aren't paying, someone else is! I do feel for the kids, and don't begrudge them care, but the ads are in poor taste IMO - they kind of rub salt in the wound. Rant off.

I dont think anyone should go without healthcare but this comercial really gets me, its like the lady is proud of the fact she is not able to provide for her child. Everyone should pay something (or somehow) if not a financial contribution than volunteer in the community but pay something

@

Guest Falling through the cracks

I don't like this ad either. I have mixed feelings; I'm glad that children are getting needed health care, but I hate the "free ride" that's implied when the woman states it doesn't cost her anything. I agree with the other poster who said there should be some requirement, either reduced payments, community service, something. Is there even a time limit on how long you can take advantage of this program? Like other social services, some people truly need help but others just milk the system. It's one thing to need free health care because you're temporarily unemployed or your job doesn't offer it; it's another thing when people keep having kids they can't afford, figuring Uncle Sam (translation: we taxpayers) will pick up the tab. My husband unexpectedly lost his job, can't find another one and my job doesn't offer benefits. Every month it's a huge struggle to come up with the COBRA payment to continue health insurance coverage for us and our 2 kids who are too old to qualify for programs like CHP. I don't know how much longer we can afford it, and it's hard not to feel resentful when I see this commercial and the woman blithely tells how her kids get free coverage.

I am not sure how any one else feels but these TV ads for Child Health Care Plus grate against the grain. It seems that the message they are trying to get out is that there is nothing to worry about, all your medical needs for your children are free. And although I do believe that a child's heath should be looked after, I feel the message here is that "go ahead, have all the kids you want cause we will take care of them" Our taxes at work.

Please tell me you are just kidding.

I don't like this ad either. I have mixed feelings; I'm glad that children are getting needed health care, but I hate the "free ride" that's implied when the woman states it doesn't cost her anything. I agree with the other poster who said there should be some requirement, either reduced payments, community service, something. Is there even a time limit on how long you can take advantage of this program? Like other social services, some people truly need help but others just milk the system. It's one thing to need free health care because you're temporarily unemployed or your job doesn't offer it; it's another thing when people keep having kids they can't afford, figuring Uncle Sam (translation: we taxpayers) will pick up the tab. My husband unexpectedly lost his job, can't find another one and my job doesn't offer benefits. Every month it's a huge struggle to come up with the COBRA payment to continue health insurance coverage for us and our 2 kids who are too old to qualify for programs like CHP. I don't know how much longer we can afford it, and it's hard not to feel resentful when I see this commercial and the woman blithely tells how her kids get free coverage.

CHP has a part (I think its B) where you pay a low monthly premium, I think fees are like between $5-$29 or something.

@

Guest Guest

No tax dollars for this. Nobody is eligible for it. Call them...it's the biggest scam out there.

Guest Guest

@

No, that is the point. You need to thank the taxpayers for providing the meds for your children. I am NYS and I paid for the add and the care your children receive.

I hate the add also. I remember the one that ran when Pataki was governor. It showed 2 black children running around a big fancy house and in the voice over, the words were about uninsured children.

@

Guest dr. kevorkian
No, that is the point. You need to thank the taxpayers for providing the meds for your children. I am NYS and I paid for the add and the care your children receive.

I hate the add also. I remember the one that ran when Pataki was governor. It showed 2 black children running around a big fancy house and in the voice over, the words were about uninsured children.

@

i agree the ads are in poor taste to say the least. i have no problem paying for kids or other situations,but there is no system in place that makes it fair. also, don't get to uppity about paying for other people's healthcare. there is a 90% chance that you or a family member will use medicaid and medicare at some point in life. when you point the finger it's pretty easy for someone to do the same to you.

Guest Guest

I hate these ads because they do not fairly represent the majority of people using Child Health Plus--working families.

And it is not FREE as the as claims. I pay around $300 a month for Child Health Plus, which is about $400 less than my employer's family plan.

CHP goes on a sliding scale for working families. It is not the same as medicaid.

These ads are not doing people who work hard and struggle to afford health care any favors.

Guest Guest

@

I don't what that woman makes, but Child Health Plus is far from free. (Did you know you can make quite a bit of money and still qualify?)

My husband and I both work and we pay for Child Health Plus. We have co-pays for doctor visits and medication. For us it is insurance than it less expensive than our work health care plan (and we cannot afford to have insurance for both of us; my husband does not have health insurance).

We pay around $80 a month per child. It is not free, but it helps.

I do not expect anyone to subsidize my family, but costs are rising faster than salaries. Welcome to corporate capitalism, where the individuals dreams go to die.

Guest Guest
i agree the ads are in poor taste to say the least. i have no problem paying for kids or other situations,but there is no system in place that makes it fair. also, don't get to uppity about paying for other people's healthcare. there is a 90% chance that you or a family member will use medicaid and medicare at some point in life. when you point the finger it's pretty easy for someone to do the same to you.

First off I resent you saying that I am uppity. I have paid in to Medicare so if and when I need it, I have already paid for it.

I don't qualify for medicaid. Again, if I ever do, I have paid into it via my taxes.

Thirdly, if I did not have to pay for people who refuse to get a job or refuse to pay for health care, I would have enough money to pay for myself and for my family for the rest of my life and theirs.

If you can't afford children, you should not be having them or having more of them.

Guest Guest
First off I resent you saying that I am uppity. I have paid in to Medicare so if and when I need it, I have already paid for it.

I don't qualify for medicaid. Again, if I ever do, I have paid into it via my taxes.

Thirdly, if I did not have to pay for people who refuse to get a job or refuse to pay for health care, I would have enough money to pay for myself and for my family for the rest of my life and theirs.

If you can't afford children, you should not be having them or having more of them.

Do you know anyone who can afford health care anymore?

I think the citizens are entitled to the same, if not better, benefits than those we PAY for politicans to have. The career politicians are on the dole too and doing nothing for us.

Guest Guest

@

get a job, low life

Guest Guest

medicare anmd medicaid are diametrically opposed to one another. medicaid is for the poor low lifes that keep having kids with abandon. medicare is something the working class pay into their entire working life so when they are 66, the government provides health insurance. medicare is NOT a give away. medicaid is. are you a mindless fool?

Guest Guest
I don't what that woman makes, but Child Health Plus is far from free. (Did you know you can make quite a bit of money and still qualify?)

My husband and I both work and we pay for Child Health Plus. We have co-pays for doctor visits and medication. For us it is insurance than it less expensive than our work health care plan (and we cannot afford to have insurance for both of us; my husband does not have health insurance).

We pay around $80 a month per child. It is not free, but it helps.

I do not expect anyone to subsidize my family, but costs are rising faster than salaries. Welcome to corporate capitalism, where the individuals dreams go to die.

at 80.00 per month per child you don't think you are being subsidized? you are just as much a lowlife as the rest. keep having kids you can't afford

Guest Guest
Do you know anyone who can afford health care anymore?

I think the citizens are entitled to the same, if not better, benefits than those we PAY for politicans to have. The career politicians are on the dole too and doing nothing for us.

it is called group health benefits, moron. most people that WORK, have them

Guest Guest

My health insurance is $72 a week We choose to go without but to have the kids on CHP for a much lower cost. I pay $19 a month for my kids. I can't pull off $72 a week.

Guest dr. kevorkian
medicare anmd medicaid are diametrically opposed to one another. medicaid is for the poor low lifes that keep having kids with abandon. medicare is something the working class pay into their entire working life so when they are 66, the government provides health insurance. medicare is NOT a give away. medicaid is. are you a mindless fool?

yes, i'm the fool. the majority of senior citizens are on medicare. medicare does not pay 100%. when they have a gap they can't pay they go on medicaid. i didn't think i had to explain such a basic thing.

Guest Guest

I do WORK. I am a professional with a degree, but in this town $35,000 a year is considered a good salary for my field. I pay about $60 a week for my health insurance through work. You do the math.

No need to call people names, but if you think regular working families can afford health insurance, you are living in a fantasy world--moron! This is not the "land of opportunity". My husband and I both work (our a$$es off I might add). Family insurance is around $800 a month. We have student loans, rent, groceries, gas, NYSEG, etc. like everyone else. We do not have cable or shop for crap we do not need. We play with our children and-gasp-read to them. Using CHP does not make us losers or morons. We pay almost $300 a month for it.

Archived