Kevin Stevens at it again

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

A full page with extensive interview about a family friend who is WALKING ON to a local college.

Athletes in other sports regularly sign full scholarships to better institutions and they get a paragraph.

how does this pass for journalism? how does Stevens write with both hands on Mullins johnson?

Press and sun- CV/ Forks football and basketball media guide

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Guest

You know what? I agree this time. Enough is enough. A full article on a walk on? Give me a break. The kid is a nice kid but this is rediculous. It really is. How many kids are going to college this year as recruited players, yet a walk on gets this attention? Kevein, you have embarrassed yourself this time, you really have.

Guest Guest

I tend to agree as well, but the best part is Real Sports Mind is really going out of his mind now. Walk on or not, overrated Mullins is playing D1 and it's killing him. Thanks for the laugh Matt:

From the Press & Sun Bulletin

realsportsmind wrote:

ho does a kid trying out for a team rate this much coverage. you guys should be ashamed of yourselves for ignoring all the real athletes in this area who sign full scholarships in their sports, and then allowing Stevens to do a full page on his best fries kid who is a walk on.

absolutely terrible

5/1/2008 7:40:22 AM

Guest Guest
I tend to agree as well, but the best part is Real Sports Mind is really going out of his mind now. Walk on or not, overrated Mullins is playing D1 and it's killing him. Thanks for the laugh Matt:

realsportsmind wrote:

ho does a kid trying out for a team rate this much coverage. you guys should be ashamed of yourselves for ignoring all the real athletes in this area who sign full scholarships in their sports, and then allowing Stevens to do a full page on his best fries kid who is a walk on.

absolutely terrible

he's still very overrated, and he will never play a quality minute at BU. He would have been a bench player at D# schools as well. too small, and not fast enough

this is really brilliant by Broadus. the last guy on the roster walk on never plays anyway, so why not have a local kid who will work hard in practice, bring up your team GPA, and be a "good teammate" CV fans have proven themselves to be completely delusional (witness this board), so they will crowd the Events Center waiting for Matty to take off the warmup. when he doesn't, they'll curse Broadus on the way to the parking lot, but only after they've purchased their Bearcat gear and 4 dollar nachos.

And Kevin "can i massage any other body parts Matt ?" Stevens will certainly pay more attention to the BU sports now that his golden boy is on the roster. more articles in the PSB!!!

Publicity generates fans. no one was going to games before

Great move by Broadus. Great move by Mullins if he needed help getting into a great school and getting a great education. Bad move by Muillins if he wants to play, but from his quote he seems to see the bigger picture after college.

Guest Guest
A full page with extensive interview about a family friend who is WALKING ON to a local college.

Athletes in other sports regularly sign full scholarships to better institutions and they get a paragraph.

how does this pass for journalism?

Press and sun- CV/ Forks football and basketball media guide

I agree with the main point of this thread. A undeserving full article. At best it deserved a small blurb. He's a future student of BU who is going to try out for the hoops team. My kid could do that too.

As for the Forks mention, well, they've earned the football press the last several years, don't you think? They've made the tourny finals 6 of the last 7 years and were 20 seconds from it being 7 straight. That's amazing. If any other school had a team to the same, they'd get the press too, and deservedly so. SV and SCC softball success got it when they had their runs, U-E baseball did. Sure, all teams deserve coverage but when one team dominates at the state level for several seasons , it will get the press in ANY community.

Guest Guest
I agree with the main point of this thread. A undeserving full article. At best it deserved a small blurb. He's a future student of BU who is going to try out for the hoops team. My kid could do that too.

As for the Forks mention, well, they've earned the football press the last several years, don't you think? They've made the tourny finals 6 of the last 7 years and were 20 seconds from it being 7 straight. That's amazing. If any other school had a team to the same, they'd get the press too, and deservedly so. SV and SCC softball success got it when they had their runs, U-E baseball did. Sure, all teams deserve coverage but when one team dominates at the state level for several seasons , it will get the press in ANY community.

they don't dominate the state level, they dominate the other 100 or so teams in their class, and they get zero players to the DI level

go check the papers in rochester, 'Cuse, Buffalo and albany and see how much ink local sports get

Guest Guest

Mullins get it even if the rest of you don't:

"It's always been my goal to play at the Division I level, and I want to thank Coach Broadus for giving me the opportunity to achieve that goal," Mullins said. "Plus, I won't be playing basketball the rest of my life, and academically, you can't beat BU."

Guest Guest

how he get into bu, he doesnt have the grades no way, broadus is a snake

people in this talkin bout bringing up gpa, i guess i would say no way because its not like mullins is good student but as stupid kids he is bringin in are maybe he will bring it up

Guest Guest
they don't dominate the state level, they dominate the other 100 or so teams in their class, and they get zero players to the DI level

go check the papers in rochester, 'Cuse, Buffalo and albany and see how much ink local sports get

Look pal, I meant at their level/class and you know it. Same goes for ANY school in the state that does well thru any state-level playoffs, it's in their class. As for the Forks recent seasons, you have to give them credit for that as it blows away any other dominance in a class in that sport with the exception of one, Dobbs Ferry who has done virtually the same in the same 7 seasons.

As for none going D1, they have had a handful play for lower D1 schools the last few seasons, just none became stars there and many suffered injuries or bad judgement in one case. Like it or not Colgate and Albany are D1 schools.

Back to K Stevens. Overall he's a pretty darn good local sport reporter. He does a good job. ANY reporter has his/her fans and detractors. Hek, one year in a TV Guide (or was it SI?) poll Howard Cosell won BOTH the Best and Worst TV Sports Reporter Of The Year.

Guest Guest

realsportsmind wrote:

absolutely terrible

You are right. The real sports mind is laughing, he is laughing at the fact that mullins had to walk on to a fake D1 school like Binghamton University. Yeah, BU is a real sports school. Man, what a joke of a story.

Guest Guest

Stevens having a job at this point is a joke. He isn't even the BU beat guy, that's Moritz. He is basically the SID for CV and CF.

Guest Guest

This really begs the question - How did Matt get into BU when his grades were so poor that most colleges stopped recruiting him in December? If I am not correct, he only got in to two colleges, with one of them a very poor academic college. Many students with really good grades did not get in to BU, yet Matt did. How did this happen? I know good kid, but that does not get you in to a great college?

Guest Guest

Being a good friend of matt's he got into every school he applied to...such as St. John Fisher, Wilkes, St Rose, Uitca, Hobart, Cortlad, Oneonta, and Binghamton...So i dont know where this he onle got into 2 schools came from

Guest Guest
Being a good friend of matt's he got into every school he applied to...such as St. John Fisher, Wilkes, St Rose, Uitca, Hobart, Cortlad, Oneonta, and Binghamton...So i dont know where this he onle got into 2 schools came from

I am also a good close friend of Matt and it is very true that he only got into 2 low academic schools. Please stop with the fabrication.

Guest John Fox

Kevin Stevens is poor. The entire local media is third rate. Former U.E. pitcher James Johnson is burning up ther American league with a zero ERA and the opposition batting .117 against him but he barely gets any press. Instead we hear more about a guy who is a walk on, which means he is not good enough to even get a D2 scholarship.

Guest guest

the people in here dont even know what the hell they are talking about. matt didnt get into the schoo from academics, coach broadus got hiim in for basketball..he isnt trying out for the team.. he's on it, he just didnt receive a scholarship, and he did get into more than two schools so you can chill too..he's a good player who will get bigger faster stronger and will be able to compete at the D1 level.

Guest Howard Cosell
the people in here dont even know what the hell they are talking about. matt didnt get into the schoo from academics, coach broadus got hiim in for basketball..he isnt trying out for the team.. he's on it, he just didnt receive a scholarship, and he did get into more than two schools so you can chill too..he's a good player who will get bigger faster stronger and will be able to compete at the D1 level.

The point of the original post is that Stevens is useless, and Mullins being on the BU team does not change that fact. There are many other SCHOLARSHIP D1 kids playing this year who have not gotten a paragraph all year. Foli is starting in professional baseball and has not gotten any press. Stevens sucks.

Guest guest

if the point was about kevin stevens then why do people start bashing mullins then, you're all DELETED, mullins got 1 article, that he deserves, people that graduated years ago arent in broome county anymore, he is and he's gonna be here, get used to hearing his name.

Guest The real sports mind
if the point was about kevin stevens then why do people start bashing mullins then, you're all gay, mullins got 1 article, that he deserves, people that graduated years ago arent in broome county anymore, he is and he's gonna be here, get used to hearing his name.

I will get use to hearing this also...............

Mullins = overrated. :lol:

Guest Guest
if the point was about kevin stevens then why do people start bashing mullins then, you're all DELETED, mullins got 1 article, that he deserves, people that graduated years ago arent in broome county anymore, he is and he's gonna be here, get used to hearing his name.

What did he do to deserve it? nothing

today's press has the perfect example of why people are justifiably upset at Kevin Stevens using his position at the PSB to be the Mullins family press agent

a 4 sentence blurb about a wrestler from Whitney Point, Vinson, who is also bound for BU and is going to the World Team Trials this month.

now, who is more newsworthy-

Vinson- a 2x state runnerup, age group Nationals champ, 61st overall recruit in the country who chose BU despite scholly offers from Virginia Tech, Virginia, Old Dominion and an appointment at West Point who is competing for a spot on the WORLD TEAM

or Mullins- a player on a team that lost at Glens Falls, and is walking on at BU rather then play at noted basketball powers Oneonta or BCC

Think about it.

Hell, a kid from Mullins own school, Stenta, is starring for Bu soccer, and he's never had a front page photo.

Kevin Stevens should be ashamed of himself

Guest Guest
Kevin Stevens is poor. The entire local media is third rate. Former U.E. pitcher James Johnson is burning up ther American league with a zero ERA and the opposition batting .117 against him but he barely gets any press. Instead we hear more about a guy who is a walk on, which means he is not good enough to even get a D2 scholarship.

Go away Cap.

Tearing up the American League? Granted, He's doing great, fantastic actually, but you are constantly hammering Stevens thinking U-E is king of the universe and any time a local athlete or school gets a main article you knock it and bring up a U-E example as your main point. Truth is, JJ is one of 6 ALers with a 0.00 ERA with double-digit inning-pitched, and one of eight overall in the majors with that same stat (25 overall with a 0.00). I do agree though an article on this is due.

Still, they've had some articles on Mr Johnson since he went pro and will do so again. They, the Press sports dept, are a staff of four or five and if you think it's easy, start your own sports newspaper with 5 writers and try to cover all the sports local and national.

It's easy to rant from your seat and your bias towards your school in favor is severely slanting your opinions in regards to Mr Stevens. He IS a very good local paper reporter and you just have an undeserved grudge.

Guest Guest
Go away Cap.

Tearing up the American League? Granted, He's doing great, fantastic actually, but you are constantly hammering Stevens thinking U-E is king of the universe and any time a local athlete or school gets a main article you knock it and bring up a U-E example as your main point. Truth is, JJ is one of 6 ALers with a 0.00 ERA with double-digit inning-pitched, and one of eight overall in the majors with that same stat (25 overall with a 0.00). I do agree though an article on this is due.

Still, they've had some articles on Mr Johnson since he went pro and will do so again. They, the Press sports dept, are a staff of four or five and if you think it's easy, start your own sports newspaper with 5 writers and try to cover all the sports local and national.

It's easy to rant from your seat and your bias towards your school in favor is severely slanting your opinions in regards to Mr Stevens. He IS a very good local paper reporter and you just have an undeserved grudge.

The above is my own post. I do agree though with above posts that the Mullin's article was a bit much, especially when you consider some of the examples stated OTHER than Johnson. (i.e. Vinson). Probably can chalk it up to it being basketball, a major sport. Had Mullins gotten the same deal for wrestling or swimming at BU (a walk-on), there probably wouldn't have even been an article. BU hoops is really being pushed by the local media, prints, radio and TV.

Guest maverick
This really begs the question - How did Matt get into BU when his grades were so poor that most colleges stopped recruiting him in December? If I am not correct, he only got in to two colleges, with one of them a very poor academic college. Many students with really good grades did not get in to BU, yet Matt did. How did this happen? I know good kid, but that does not get you in to a great college?

Mullins father and assistant AD Norris are Bing buddies.......put it together. He's an avg to below avg student who got a break from knowing someone....wouldn't get in on his own merits.....clear enough?

Archived