Kevin Stevens at it again

Guest Guest

Guest Guest
Stevens having a job at this point is a joke. He isn't even the BU beat guy, that's Moritz. He is basically the SID for CV and CF.

Then why didn't Moritz write the story? He's basically the biggest BU basketball cheerleader.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Guest

guys like Mortiz and Stevens have never been successful at any sport at any level. They write like hero worshippers and only have the capacity to understand the big three- the guys they looked up to in high school

Wrestling is King in this area as far as male sports go, but you'll never here about it in from most of th writers

same for field hockey

Guest guest
guys like Mortiz and Stevens have never been successful at any sport at any level. They write like hero worshippers and only have the capacity to understand the big three- the guys they looked up to in high school

Wrestling is King in this area as far as male sports go, but you'll never here about it in from most of th writers

same for field hockey

Do you really believe that wrestling is "king" in these parts.... wow. That's ridiculous. It might be "king" to the 20 kids and 30 parents that actually particiapte and follow it at their particular school.

Guest Guest
Do you really believe that wrestling is "king" in these parts.... wow. That's ridiculous. It might be "king" to the 20 kids and 30 parents that actually particiapte and follow it at their particular school.

without a doubt, it terms of producing athletes that can compete at the highest level while still in high school, and move on to NCAA success, wrestling absolutely embarrasses every other male sport in this area. It isn't even close

Now, alot of people go to silly little HS football and basketball games around here that's true. But they are the same people who have made American Idol a success

Every college wrestling coach in the country scouts and recruits Broome county. therefore- it is KING

Guest Guest
Every college wrestling coach in the country scouts and recruits Broome county.

Well, NOT Broome County, section 4. Most of the area's overall success in the sport comes from outside of Broome County, which is a natch anyway as there are many counties in the section.

Guest Guest
without a doubt, it terms of producing athletes that can compete at the highest level while still in high school, and move on to NCAA success, wrestling absolutely embarrasses every other male sport in this area. It isn't even close

Now, alot of people go to silly little HS football and basketball games around here that's true. But they are the same people who have made American Idol a success

Every college wrestling coach in the country scouts and recruits Broome county. therefore- it is KING

Cornell is one of the top division 1 wrestling schools in the country. I am a huge fan of Nickerson and have gone up there a few times since he graduated from Forks. They average about 700-900 fans for home games. Binghamton University is well below average in basketball in the country. They have been division one for 7 or 8 years and havent been to the tournament once, and im not sure if theyve even had a winning record. They get between 3-4 thousand for each home game. You do the math, basketball is and always will be king.

Guest Guest
Well, NOT Broome County, section 4. Most of the area's overall success in the sport comes from outside of Broome County, which is a natch anyway as there are many counties in the section.

WRONG. Forks and Johnson City are by far and away the best schools in Section IV. Followed closely by Greene and Bainbridge. Arent they Broome County?

Guest Guest
Cornell is one of the top division 1 wrestling schools in the country. I am a huge fan of Nickerson and have gone up there a few times since he graduated from Forks. They average about 700-900 fans for home games. Binghamton University is well below average in basketball in the country. They have been division one for 7 or 8 years and havent been to the tournament once, and im not sure if theyve even had a winning record. They get between 3-4 thousand for each home game. You do the math, basketball is and always will be king.

Wrestling in this area absolutely shames basketball when it comes to producing top level talent. That is why it is, and always will be, King in Section 4

attendence figures? DELETED?

more people watch Supernanny then watch the Discovery Channel.....doesn't mean it's better

Guest Guest

ACTUALLY, IN THE VIEW OF RATINGS AND SOCIETY, IT DOES MEAN ITS BETTER. It is the job of the press and sun bulletin to write to majority interest. The majority is interested in basketball way more than any other sport, thus the press & sun interest in Matt Mullins. I could care less about Binghamton University basketball, but apparently there is a lot of people out there that do, which is why I can understand why they have such an interesting in printing large stories about a local kid going to play Division 1 basketball. My attendance figures are an EXACT REFLECTION on why a local kid walking on at a D-1 school recieves so much pub. Get your head out of your DELETED and understand the P&SB is a business, responding to the interest of the human beings who buy their newspaper. Moron.

Guest Guest
ACTUALLY, IN THE VIEW OF RATINGS AND SOCIETY, IT DOES MEAN ITS BETTER. It is the job of the press and sun bulletin to write to majority interest. The majority is interested in basketball way more than any other sport, thus the press & sun interest in Matt Mullins. I could care less about Binghamton University basketball, but apparently there is a lot of people out there that do, which is why I can understand why they have such an interesting in printing large stories about a local kid going to play Division 1 basketball. My attendance figures are an EXACT REFLECTION on why a local kid walking on at a D-1 school recieves so much pub. Get your head out of your DELETED and understand the P&SB is a business, responding to the interest of the human beings who buy their newspaper. Moron.

get your head out of your DELETED and understand that this is not newsworthy without Stevens and Mullins parents being close friends

Guest Guest

You dont honestly believe that you just have no logical argument. Your kid wrestles because he couldnt make the basketball team. Mullins is what you want your kid to be. Crybaby.

Guest Guest
You dont honestly believe that you just have no logical argument. Your kid wrestles because he couldnt make the basketball team. Mullins is what you want your kid to be. Crybaby.

yeah, my kid wants to walk on to BU...ooops, he's going there for free

Guest Guest
Followed closely by Greene and Bainbridge. Arent they Broome County?

No and no. Neither is Oxford, nor Elmira, nor Norwich, nor Walton, nor Marathon and a host of others, all of whom have had wrestlers do well in states and/or college in the last decade.

It's a section-wide success.

Guest Cap
Go away Cap.

Tearing up the American League? Granted, He's doing great, fantastic actually, but you are constantly hammering Stevens thinking U-E is king of the universe and any time a local athlete or school gets a main article you knock it and bring up a U-E example as your main point. Truth is, JJ is one of 6 ALers with a 0.00 ERA with double-digit inning-pitched, and one of eight overall in the majors with that same stat (25 overall with a 0.00). I do agree though an article on this is due.

Still, they've had some articles on Mr Johnson since he went pro and will do so again. They, the Press sports dept, are a staff of four or five and if you think it's easy, start your own sports newspaper with 5 writers and try to cover all the sports local and national.

It's easy to rant from your seat and your bias towards your school in favor is severely slanting your opinions in regards to Mr Stevens. He IS a very good local paper reporter and you just have an undeserved grudge.

Joe, you are wrong. Johnson is tied for first in the American league for non qualified pitchers in ERA with his 16.1 scoreless innings. Santiago from Oakland is the other pitcher. Opponets are batting .111 against Johnson. This information is all easily available on the computer. This is a big story. Johnson is the first local player to have an impact in major league baseball in 30 years. Stevens and his fellow nit wits are not covering Johnson as much as they should. They would rather report on a Community college womens lacrosse game.

Guest Guest
Joe, you are wrong. Johnson is tied for first in the American league for non qualified pitchers in ERA with his 16.1 scoreless innings. Santiago from Oakland is the other pitcher. Opponets are batting .111 against Johnson. This information is all easily available on the computer. This is a big story. Johnson is the first local player to have an impact in major league baseball in 30 years. Stevens and his fellow nit wits are not covering Johnson as much as they should. They would rather report on a Community college womens lacrosse game.

i am a non qualified pitcher, and I have yet to allow an earned run

it's 16 DELETED innings tool

Guest Guest
Joe, you are wrong. Johnson is tied for first in the American league for non qualified pitchers in ERA with his 16.1 scoreless innings. Santiago from Oakland is the other pitcher. Opponets are batting .111 against Johnson. This information is all easily available on the computer.

I am not Joe.

Where the heck do you think I got MY information? From the Orioles website as I was typing it. So I was and am not wrong, I posted what I read on Johnson's teams website.

Frankly I think YOU are wrong with "the other pitcher" as there is more than one unless the other four got hamemred Sunday.

In either case, yes, an article and a good one about JJ is deserved but my point stands. Your anger is at WHAT they cover and when. Not their skills, which most feel are pretty darn good. He's a very good writer.

By the way, who is the beat writer for local baseball? Not the B-mets, I mean high school? It's probably his assigment if an article on JJ is to be. If it's Stevens, then you have more merit to your beef.

Guest Joe refuter
I am not Joe.

Where the heck do you think I got MY information? From the Orioles website as I was typing it. So I was and am not wrong, I posted what I read on Johnson's teams website.

Frankly I think YOU are wrong with "the other pitcher" as there is more than one unless the other four got hamemred Sunday.

In either case, yes, an article and a good one about JJ is deserved but my point stands. Your anger is at WHAT they cover and when. Not their skills, which most feel are pretty darn good. He's a very good writer.

By the way, who is the beat writer for local baseball? Not the B-mets, I mean high school? It's probably his assigment if an article on JJ is to be. If it's Stevens, then you have more merit to your beef.

I don't care about somebody's writing skills when it comes to sports. I care about somebody's insight in sports and what they prioritize in the sports section. Stevens is usually way off base with is All Metro selections for football. The Athelete of the year picks have often been flawed. Case in point. When Veruto from U.E. was a sophmore he was left off Stevens All Metro team. The very next year he was first team All State. Somthing was wrong there. Made from Binghamton was drafted in the major league baseball draft. I wasn't even aware he was still playing college baseball because the newspaper never reported on him. This year he and Folli are in the minors but I have not seen an upadate on them. Many kids from this area get D1 scholarships and don't get a single line in the press. All these kids stats are available online. The local TV stations are no better. The night Johnson pitched 3 and a third innings against the Yankees to get the save it warranted a 10 second blurb on the news. That same night they reported about the D3 Cortland softball game for 3 times the air time. This was a Satyrday night with Sports Overtime where they had a full 30 minute sports program. NO excuse for that.

As far as the Stats go just look at ESPN.com. They have all the Stats there. Johnson and Santiago are tied for first with the most scorless innings in the AL. One pitcher from Arizona named Chad Qualls is ahead of them in the NL.

Guest Bob Knight
"Plus, I won't be playing basketball the rest of my life, and academically, you can't beat BU."

Actually, the poor kid doesn't get it. You CAN beat BU.

Signed,

Harvard, Yale, Columbia, Dartmouth, Brown, Cornell, Pennsylvania University, Princeton, Colgate, Lafayette, Bucknell, Hamilton, Middlebury, Williams, Amherst, Berkeley, Stanford, Duke, Vanderbilt, Northwestern, University of North Carolina, University of Virginia, Davidson, RPI, Colby, Bates, Bowdoin, Michigan, M.I.T., Annapolis, West Point, Rice, Baylor, Tufts, Tulane, University of Chicago.

Guest Guest

While I can agree to some extent, you have to remember this is a local sports market. If you want national sports, you go to ESPN or Fox Sports or the internet.

Realistically, these guys do about an average job covering local sports with small staffs. We are a small market. If/when someone good comes along, they are only here for a couple of years and move on. Like it or not, it is what it is.

Guest Guest
Actually, the poor kid doesn't get it. You CAN beat BU.

Signed,

Harvard, Yale, Columbia, Dartmouth, Brown, Cornell, Pennsylvania University, Princeton, Colgate, Lafayette, Bucknell, Hamilton, Middlebury, Williams, Amherst, Berkeley, Stanford, Duke, Vanderbilt, Northwestern, University of North Carolina, University of Virginia, Davidson, RPI, Colby, Bates, Bowdoin, Michigan, M.I.T., Annapolis, West Point, Rice, Baylor, Tufts, Tulane, University of Chicago.

Wrong again - local kid going to a local university with a good academic ranking - no housing or cost of living expenses. Pick any school above and tell me how you beat the deal.

Guest Guest
I don't care about somebody's writing skills when it comes to sports. I care about somebody's insight in sports and what they prioritize in the sports section. Stevens is usually way off base with is All Metro selections for football. The Athelete of the year picks have often been flawed. Case in point. When Veruto from U.E. was a sophmore he was left off Stevens All Metro team. The very next year he was first team All State. Somthing was wrong there. \

what was wrong there was that Stevens has beef with Hurd so he takes it out on his team. He's an idiot and knows nothing about sports, let's not even get into his knowlegde (or lack there of) of the talent that goes along with those sports.

Guest Bob Knight
Wrong again - local kid going to a local university with a good academic ranking - no housing or cost of living expenses. Pick any school above and tell me how you beat the deal.

If you actually think SUNY at Binghamton/Vestal actually can hold a candle academically to any of the institutions I listed, then you are grossly misinformed and potentially missing out on a much better professional career than you could have were you to attend one of the aforementioned institutions.

I look forward to you bringing me my coffee and fetching my mail while hoping to see the word "Binghamton" on the ESPN or CNN sports scrolls.

Guest Old Bulldog

You guys are pathetic. A local beatwriter who grew up in the area writes an article about a high profile local athlete and all you do is whine about it. Sure, Kevin is friends with Matt's father, alot of us are. We've been following Matt's high school successes and are glad to see him land at a school where he can take a shot at D1 and get a top notch education. Good for him. He seems to be pretty well grounded about the opportunity he's getting. Keep your ignorance to yourself. Jealousy is an ugly thing.

Guest Guest
I think the big deal is:

1. He's a local kid going D1

2. He's going to play at Binghamton University!

Mullins = overrated.

BU = fake D1 school.

Walk on = glorified cheerleader

92% of the people I polled agree with the above assessment. :lol:

Archived