Union Center Christian Church

Guest Jaded

I've been attending services, events, etc. for a little over three years. It's my feeling that they are getting too big, too fast. The focus over the last year seems to be on growth in numbers rather than spirituality. The sermons feel like they are pre-ordered from a subscription service and it takes almost 20 minutes just to get a child into Sunday School now that they require everyone to "register" every Sunday. All the teachings there lately seem to be about books or videos about the bible, rather than bible study.

Emails that normally were returned in a day now go completely unanswered.

Has anyone else felt the same about UCCC? Any good alternatives?

I've been attending services, events, etc. for a little over three years. It's my feeling that they are getting too big, too fast. The focus over the last year seems to be on growth in numbers rather than spirituality. The sermons feel like they are pre-ordered from a subscription service and it takes almost 20 minutes just to get a child into Sunday School now that they require everyone to "register" every Sunday. All the teachings there lately seem to be about books or videos about the bible, rather than bible study.

bump

I would suggest that you try a smaller community church. The big churches are only looking for your money, and why would you want to be part of a place where nobody knows you, in smaller churches you become part of an intimate family. I go to a United Church of Christ, there are two in Binghamton, one in Maine and one in Newark Valley. They are very focused on making people feel welcome and are all about creating a faith discussion. I hope you find what you are looking for. Peace

I would suggest that you try a smaller community church. The big churches are only looking for your money, and why would you want to be part of a place where nobody knows you, in smaller churches you become part of an intimate family. I go to a United Church of Christ, there are two in Binghamton, one in Maine and one in Newark Valley. They are very focused on making people feel welcome and are all about creating a faith discussion. I hope you find what you are looking for. Peace

That sounds like excellent advice!

How about the CATHOLIC CHURCH that uses the ENTIRE Word of God, not just the written? Wouldn't you like to worship God as He intended and that Christians have been doing since the FIRST century, almost 2,000 years? After all, Jesus said the FIRST MASS at the Last Supper.....

How about the CATHOLIC CHURCH that uses the ENTIRE Word of God, not just the written? Wouldn't you like to worship God as He intended and that Christians have been doing since the FIRST century, almost 2,000 years? After all, Jesus said the FIRST MASS at the Last Supper.....

A Faithful Catholic get off of it. I think the Roman Catholic church is great and should be among the options people look at, but there are other churches that are of the same worth out there. And if I really want to make a point, every church is part of the Catholic Church which in most ancient texts is translated as Universal Church. So when you talk about the "holy" Catholic Church you are in fact referring to any church that follows in a teaching of Christ. So be careful AFC, I actually have studied and understand early christianity, and to the general audience, AFC is usually very off base. on these matters.

A Faithful Catholic get off of it.

Nope.

I think the Roman Catholic church is great and should be among the options people look at, but there are other churches that are of the same worth out there.

First of all, I belong to the LATIN RITE of the Catholic Church. You will NEVER see the Vatican using the ROMAN, unless in certain documents with other rites listed.

And if I really want to make a point, every church is part of the Catholic Church which in most ancient texts is translated as Universal Church.

The CATHOLIC CHURCH is the UNIVERSAL CHURCH. I have said that a million times. Not every "church" that sprung out of the "reformation" is part of that! Especially those that walked FAR AWAY from the Word of God. The Catholic Faith is the Faith handed down by the Apostles. The bible is a document of the Catholic Church and no other "church" existed in the 3rd and 4rth century that what you call the "Roman" Catholic Church. The only thing that makes a person even related to the Catholic Church is their baptism, if the proper form was used.

So when you talk about the "holy" Catholic Church you are in fact referring to any church that follows in a teaching of Christ.

That's funny. I have NEVER seen any protestant rite listed under the rites of the Catholic Church!

So be careful AFC, I actually have studied and understand early christianity, and to the general audience, AFC is usually very off base. on these matters.

No so fast. The Catholic Faith is the Faith handed down by the Apostles. The "protestant" sects, except for the "English Accident" reject everything the Apostles did and started OUTSIDE of scripture. That is why SOLA SCRIPTURA is erroneous.

So, If I wanted to start my own church it would be as valid as any other? BALONEY. I have NO CONNECTION TO THE APOSTLES AT ALL.

You need to study Sts. Ignatious of Antioch, Iraneous, and Polycarp as well as the other Early Church Fathers. They were all ENTIRELY CATHOLIC and not YOUR version of "catholic" Prot doctrines do not reflect the Faith handed down by the Apostles! :o

"Let us note that the very tradition, teaching, and faith of the Catholic Church from the beginning, which the Lord gave, was preached by the Apostles, and was preserved by the Fathers. On this was the Church founded; and if anyone departs from this, he neither is nor any longer ought to be called a Christian." St. Athanasius ("Four Letters to Serapion of Thmuisc," c. 360 A.D.)

Looks to me that the rebels walked all over that comment! They have DEPARTED FAR away from the original teachings. :blink:

Thanks AFC for a lot of hot air. You are a sick puppy. May the God of US ALL have mercy on you

I didn't walk away, or remain, from the TRUE EUCHARIST and the Faith handed down by the Apostles! To say the prots are on equal footing in terms of the Faith handed down by the Apostles is just crazy, especially when it comes to the sacraments!!!!!!! :o :o :o

I didn't walk away, or remain, from the TRUE EUCHARIST and the Faith handed down by the Apostles! To say the prots are on equal footing in terms of the Faith handed down by the Apostles is just crazy, especially when it comes to the sacraments!!!!!!! :o :o :o

AFC, please go back to your own threads. Also, as stated before, please respect the beliefs of others and stop with the offensive "prots."

It sure feels as if one is not in a "leadership" (visible) roll, then one is merely a fish in the sea of humanity there. Then you are not growing in the Word. It's become truly offensive to me.

I literally feel that I can go from UCCC to any other megachurch in the US and have the same experience. With the same video clips, and book reviews (what I call the 'series' where the congregation all purchases a book and covers a chapter per week). It's like the Applebee's of Christianity. Does the church pick the books through prayerful insight, or are the books sold there pushed by salespeople? I mean, what Christian author wouldn't want to sell 1200 books in one Sunday at just one church? Someone's making money somewhere. I just don't want to be a part of commercial Christianity any longer.

Don't get me wrong they have many, many programs and classes going on there all of the time. I happen to think this may be part of the problem. UCCC is trying to be all things to all people.

They've helped me through some rough patches, and for that I am eternally thankful. UCCC has helped me change for the better. I've made some very good friends, and met some great mentors there. I also think ANY church could have helped me. UCCC just happened to be the one where I happened to get started on my new journey. I'm not turning my back on my faith. This is a trial I must face and seek God's guidance to lead me to my next stop. For me, it's time to move on to a more comfortable setting.

It sure feels as if one is not in a "leadership" (visible) roll, then one is merely a fish in the sea of humanity there. Then you are not growing in the Word. It's become truly offensive to me.

I literally feel that I can go from UCCC to any other megachurch in the US and have the same experience. With the same video clips, and book reviews (what I call the 'series' where the congregation all purchases a book and covers a chapter per week). It's like the Applebee's of Christianity. Does the church pick the books through prayerful insight, or are the books sold there pushed by salespeople? I mean, what Christian author wouldn't want to sell 1200 books in one Sunday at just one church? Someone's making money somewhere. I just don't want to be a part of commercial Christianity any longer.

Don't get me wrong they have many, many programs and classes going on there all of the time. I happen to think this may be part of the problem. UCCC is trying to be all things to all people.

They've helped me through some rough patches, and for that I am eternally thankful. UCCC has helped me change for the better. I've made some very good friends, and met some great mentors there. I also think ANY church could have helped me. UCCC just happened to be the one where I happened to get started on my new journey. I'm not turning my back on my faith. This is a trial I must face and seek God's guidance to lead me to my next stop. For me, it's time to move on to a more comfortable setting.

I call churches like UCCC the Walmart-zation of faith. They make religion a generic cause rather then a personal life changing forum. There is no way a church of that size can really minister to indivdual people. So you can come in and pick and choose what you want, with no real discussion or sharing of ideas. In my church we debate matters of faith and we have discussions about what matters to the faith community as it stands together. I belong to a progressive church, so we value diverse opinions and we dont really work with a one faith fits all thinking, but some people like to go to a church that just tells them how it is and how they should think and feel and act, no discussion, no debate, and women have no standing in leadership (sorry I just had to get that one in there). So if you dont want to think about faith and have deep thoughts about religion, then I would stay with a big mega church (UCCC), but there are other choices out there.

Guest BC Voice of Reason

If the original poster has been reading your posts, the catholic church is probably last on the list.

I used to attend Union Center. I now attend First Assembly in Binghamton.

I felt that Union Center was very impersonal. I also got tired of the hypocrites there. The congregation preaches one lifestyle and lives another.

The 1st Assembly is a wonderful church i have gone there many times for church and functions.

They are in the plans to build a summer retreat in Windsor, i saw the plans for it and it looks like its going to be real nice.

Guest dsljfgh
I call churches like UCCC the Walmart-zation of faith. They make religion a generic cause rather then a personal life changing forum. There is no way a church of that size can really minister to indivdual people. So you can come in and pick and choose what you want, with no real discussion or sharing of ideas. In my church we debate matters of faith and we have discussions about what matters to the faith community as it stands together. I belong to a progressive church, so we value diverse opinions and we dont really work with a one faith fits all thinking, but some people like to go to a church that just tells them how it is and how they should think and feel and act, no discussion, no debate, and women have no standing in leadership (sorry I just had to get that one in there). So if you dont want to think about faith and have deep thoughts about religion, then I would stay with a big mega church (UCCC), but there are other choices out there.

Yeah, but now they've got a really nifty software program called Fellowship One that is going to solve all of their problems. Yeah, right. Any church that needs a computer program to keeps tabs on the congregation is not for me.

The last time I attended UCCC the first words I heard upon entering the building was, "Last name?" I have an easier time getting into our daughter's school.

Yeah, but now they've got a really nifty software program called Fellowship One that is going to solve all of their problems. Yeah, right. Any church that needs a computer program to keeps tabs on the congregation is not for me.

The last time I attended UCCC the first words I heard upon entering the building was, "Last name?" I have an easier time getting into our daughter's school.

That's why I don't attend any organized religion. I think most Pastors have their hearts in the right place...they truly want to help people.

A long time ago religions (esp. the Catholics) were a larger part of the social fabric. They served many functions for their flock. The control the churches exerted was considerable. I think it's still about control and control=money.

There are too many money grubbers, like Creflo Dollar (what a name, huh?) that leave a sour taste in too many people's mouths.

Young,

It will be another attempt by AFC to take over a thread. Lets not turn this into a AFC fest.

Jaded,

As for a church, I attend Calvary's Love AOG (http://www.calvaryslove.org/).

I attended RC Church since I was old enough to remember and I was getting nothing from it anymore. (Not saying don't attend a Catholic church if you are drawn there, my heart just wasn't there anymore). I find the services at CL AOG to be informative and inspirational. The staff and all of the people there are very personable and make you feel welcome. Children's ministries are incredible. Outside opportunities like small group studies and missions.

If you would like to listen to CD series, I highly recommend Chip Ingram from Living on the Edge and Walk Through the Bible. Very inspirational and right on spot. The CDs can be bought for a nominal fee. You can also listen to his daily message on FLN on the radio (88.1) or catch him on iTunes (free).

Buy yourself a good Bible as well. The people at Arrowhead are great and have a big selection. I use an NIV learning Bible (Life Application and Study Bible by Zondervan and Tyndale House). It has a Bible study daily reading list and translations and explanations. The Concordance in the back is quite good as well.

I hope this helps you and good luck.

TWS

If you are looking for a small but classy bible based fundamental Christian church, visit Bethel Baptist Church on North Jensen Road near the bowling alley. They have a young pastor and an active music ministry.

Archived