NY YANKEES TRADE AJ BURNETT TO PIRATES

Guest Guest

It's a done deal. The NY Yankees have traded Psycho AJ to the Pirates for a bag of balls and 2 guys I've never heard of. Regardless of what happens, the Yanks got the best of this deal.

By the way. Look for AJ to win the 2012 NL Cy Young Award.

I thought this was a joke, but after some "Googling" I realize it to be true.

All the Yanks need to do now to complete the deal is to sign Doink and Dink the clowns to throw pies

doinktheclown.jpg

AJ career Highlights (besides pies in the face): Game 2 of the 2009 World Series and keeping the Yanks alive against the Tigers last season.

That's more than Kevin Brown, Carl Pavone and Randy Johnson ever did for the Yanks.

Have no idea who the 2 Minor Leagurers are that the Yanks get in return. I'm guessing the bag of balls might be the best part of the deal. The Pirates only have to pay $13 million of the $33 million still owed to Burnett.

Burnett has great stuff and might just thrive in a no pressure environment like Pittsburgh.

*Meant to say Carl Pavano, so spelling Nazi's please be kind.

Might as well add to the list of Yankee Pitching Busts that were worse than AJ:

Cory Lidle (may he rest in peace), Javier Vazquez, Jaret Wright, Jeff Weaver, Kei Igawa, Hideki Irabu (may he rest in peace also), Jose Contreras, Kyle Farnsworth, Kenny Rogers, Roger Clemens Part II, you know the one when Yankees announcer Susan Waldman almost had a heart attack at the sight of Roger Clemens walking into George Steinbrenner's "bawx!"

Guest Baseball expert
AJ career Highlights (besides pies in the face): Game 2 of the 2009 World Series and keeping the Yanks alive against the Tigers last season.

That's more than Kevin Brown, Carl Pavone and Randy Johnson ever did for the Yanks.

Have no idea who the 2 Minor Leagurers are that the Yanks get in return. I'm guessing the bag of balls might be the best part of the deal. The Pirates only have to pay $13 million of the $33 million still owed to Burnett.

Burnett has great stuff and might just thrive in a no pressure environment like Pittsburgh.

I have a different take on AJ then you. I don't think it was pressure so much as a loss of his stuff.

A younger AJ threw the ball 98MPH and could get away with bad location. The last few years he was throwing it at a much more hittable 93-95mph.

I have a different take on AJ then you. I don't think it was pressure so much as a loss of his stuff.

A younger AJ threw the ball 98MPH and could get away with bad location. The last few years he was throwing it at a much more hittable 93-95mph.

Could very well be, but is it a loss of his stuff or a loss of his confidence? The guy still had great stuff with the Yanks. He just isn't tough mentally and really doesn't know how to pitch like a Pettitte or Moose later on in their careers.

Regardless, I think the Yanks will be better off without him and I think he'll do just fine with the Pirates.

The Yanks still need a DH. Matsui, Damon or Raul Ibanez with the smart going on Ibanez. Also look for the Yanks to re-sign Eric Chavez.

I like the Yanks chances next year. They should be a fun team to watch. I give them as good a chance as anybody

Could very well be, but is it a loss of his stuff or a loss of his confidence? The guy still had great stuff with the Yanks. He just isn't tough mentally and really doesn't know how to pitch like a Pettitte or Moose later on in their careers.

Regardless, I think the Yanks will be better off without him and I think he'll do just fine with the Pirates.

The Yanks still need a DH. Matsui, Damon or Raul Ibanez with the smart going on Ibanez. Also look for the Yanks to re-sign Eric Chavez.

I like the Yanks chances next year. They should be a fun team to watch. I give them as good a chance as anybody

*Meant to say the SMART money going on Ibanez and I like the Yanks chances THIS year. Not sure about next year just yet. I really need to proof-read my posts before hitting the "Post" button.

Just read where the Yanks will in fact sign Ibanez and Chavez. They just had to wait for the Burnett deal to complete which it was because AJ passed his physical.

CC has slimmed down, A-Rod should have a bounce back year and I can't wait to see how Pineda does in the rotation along with Kuroda. The Yanks have the best bullpen in baseball. That along with Tex, Cano, Jeter, Granderson, Martin, etc... it looks to be an exciting year. I'm calling it now. Andruw Jones will be the comeback player of the year.

Guest Baseball expert

NO, it is a loss of his stuff. 93MPH is not the same as 98MPH. He was always a power pitcher, never a finesse pitcher.

It's between his ears. Always has been. You fall behind on Major League hitters over and over again and the extra 4 MPH on your fastball doesn't mean all that much. You are going to get pounded. Especially in the AL East. That said - jumping to the NL should be a blessing for him. As like most Yankee cast-offs, expect him to win 15 games or more (20 if he wasn't in Pittsburgh).

Guest Baseball expert

It's between his ears. Always has been. You fall behind on Major League hitters over and over again and the extra 4 MPH on your fastball doesn't mean all that much. You are going to get pounded. Especially in the AL East. That said - jumping to the NL should be a blessing for him. As like most Yankee cast-offs, expect him to win 15 games or more (20 if he wasn't in Pittsburgh).

AJ has always had a problem between his ears. He always fell behind the hitters throughout his career. The difference is you can get away with a fastball down the middle at 98mph more often then you can with the same pitch at 93mph. AJ is not the same pitcher he was when he was younger,.

NO, it is a loss of his stuff. 93MPH is not the same as 98MPH. He was always a power pitcher, never a finesse pitcher.

NO, it is a loss of AJ's mind. He still has his stuff, but doesn't have the confidence to let it all hang out in pinstripes. Look for a new AJ in Pittsburgh. His 98MPH heater will be back.

NO, it is a loss of AJ's mind. He still has his stuff, but doesn't have the confidence to let it all hang out in pinstripes. Look for a new AJ in Pittsburgh. His 98MPH heater will be back.

i love clueless yankee fans talking about AJ and his "stuff", as if you know what that means. noboby has great stuff and is a failure no matter how whacked out they are in the head.

AJ has always had a problem between his ears. He always fell behind the hitters throughout his career. The difference is you can get away with a fastball down the middle at 98mph more often then you can with the same pitch at 93mph. AJ is not the same pitcher he was when he was younger,.

OKAY - so he gives up 7 runs instead of 8 with that extra 4 MPH. All pitchers lose velocity - the smart ones learn to get by with other pitches. Safe to say - AJ doesn't fall into that category (again - Problem = between his ears).

Guest baseball expert

OKAY - so he gives up 7 runs instead of 8 with that extra 4 MPH. All pitchers lose velocity - the smart ones learn to get by with other pitches. Safe to say - AJ doesn't fall into that category (again - Problem = between his ears).

The vast majority of starting pitchers who lose velocity become more hittable. There are a few exceptions but most who lose 5 mph on their fastball have their fortunes decline.

Phil Hughes is a perfect example. Phil Hughes was a good pitcher with a 93-95mph heater, he sucks when his fastball sits around 89-90 mph. Javy Vasquez is another. For every Mariano Riviera there are 30 guys who once they lose the fastball velocity their pitching numbers decline also.

This is the case with AJ. With a lot of pitchers besides losing velocity they also lose some command because it takes extra effort to throw the fastball close to where they used to throw it.

The vast majority of starting pitchers who lose velocity become more hittable. There are a few exceptions but most who lose 5 mph on their fastball have their fortunes decline.

Phil Hughes is a perfect example. Phil Hughes was a good pitcher with a 93-95mph heater, he sucks when his fastball sits around 89-90 mph. Javy Vasquez is another. For every Mariano Riviera there are 30 guys who once they lose the fastball velocity their pitching numbers decline also.

This is the case with AJ. With a lot of pitchers besides losing velocity they also lose some command because it takes extra effort to throw the fastball close to where they used to throw it.

great examples. phil hughes??? that's supposed to prove your point???

You can say that and it may be true, but AJ was a .500 pitcher before the Yanks and was a .500 pitcher with the Yanks.

Fact is he had one great year with Toronto and people thought he finally reeled in his control problems. Truth is the guy

has never been able to get his mechanics down and has cost his teams big losses when he is off and won his teams big games when

he is on.

The pressure comment is way off: the reason the Yanks got him was because he did have a rep for being a pressure pitcher and in his first year

lived up to it.

Now, he has lost some velocity and his control is still poor so he basically a reclamation project.

Guest baseball expert

great examples. phil hughes??? that's supposed to prove your point???

I used an example that was recent to yankee fans when I mentioned Hughes and Vasquez. If I wanted i could go back 40 years and give you many many examples. Is that really necessary? The point is simple, most pitchers who lose their velocity become less effective. Anybody who knew anything about baseball would not dispute that.

Guest Joe Lefebvre

I used an example that was recent to yankee fans when I mentioned Hughes and Vasquez. If I wanted i could go back 40 years and give you many many examples. Is that really necessary? The point is simple, most pitchers who lose their velocity become less effective. Anybody who knew anything about baseball would not dispute that.

Thank you for clearing that up for all of us - Captain Obvious.

I believe the point being made was that AJ's primary problem has always been upstairs. Losing 3-5 MPH on his Fastball is a contributing factor but as Bucky pointed out - he was a .500 pitcher before the Yanks had him and a .500 pitcher while they had him. Always had great movement to go along with a 98 MPH fastball - but could never consistently harness and locate his stuff. Call it mechanics - call it nerves - call lack of ability "between the ears" - he just didn't get it done. He had his best year in Toronto with DOC mentoring him and keeping him focused (IMO). Maybe if he spent a little more time working on his mechanics and reviewing tape on the hitters instead of at the Tatoo parlor, his results may have been better.

The fact AJ has lost velocity makes him even more of a gamble now.

"King of the Wild Pitch" too.

I used to get PO'ed when he'd throw a CB/Slider in the other batter's box and get ticked with the catcher couldn't block it

for the 4th time in a row.

Excellent gamble right here.

02.22... Yankees signed RHP David Aardsma to a one-year, $500,000 contract.

Spin: Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News was the first to report the terms of the contract. Aardsma isn't expected to return until the second half of the season following Tommy John surgery, but the former M's closer could end up paying big dividends down the line as the deal includes a club option for 2013. This is your classic low-risk/high-reward move.

How bad could things have been with AJ for the Yankees to make this trade? I'm guessing lots that was kept in the locker room.

I find it hard to believe Cashman couldn't have done any better than a 20-year old trouble maker with mediocre talent and a 25-year old with a 97-98 MPH fastball with control problems. Plus paying $20 million of AJ's contract.

Seriously, they couldn't have gotten any better for AJ? Maybe the Yanks will hit the lottery and 1 of these guys will help, but I just don't see it.

I just thought this was a weird trade. Are the Pirates prospects that good? Is there something I'm not getting?

Help, Bucky and Joe L (about the only 2 posters on this site with a brain in their head).

Guest baseball expert
How bad could things have been with AJ for the Yankees to make this trade? I'm guessing lots that was kept in the locker room.

I find it hard to believe Cashman couldn't have done any better than a 20-year old trouble maker with mediocre talent and a 25-year old with a 97-98 MPH fastball with control problems. Plus paying $20 million of AJ's contract.

Seriously, they couldn't have gotten any better for AJ? Maybe the Yanks will hit the lottery and 1 of these guys will help, but I just don't see it.

I just thought this was a weird trade. Are the Pirates prospects that good? Is there something I'm not getting?

Help, Bucky and Joe L (about the only 2 posters on this site with a brain in their head).

Let me explain this to you. AJ had a BAD contract. They are common in baseball. They make a player untradeable because no other teams thinks he provides enough value to the contract.

Soriano from the Cubs has a bad contract. Nobody will take that contract on at full value.

Cashman wanted to move salary off the books. He had to pay 20 million dollars to find a taker for AJ.

Cashman did a good job to free 8 million dollars of next years payroll. The players he recieved did not matter, it was a salary dump.

Let me explain this to you. AJ had a BAD contract. They are common in baseball. They make a player untradeable because no other teams thinks he provides enough value to the contract.

Soriano from the Cubs has a bad contract. Nobody will take that contract on at full value.

Cashman wanted to move salary off the books. He had to pay 20 million dollars to find a taker for AJ.

Cashman did a good job to free 8 million dollars of next years payroll. The players he recieved did not matter, it was a salary dump.

aj should thrive in the nl. wouldn't be surprised at all if he turns out to be one of the top 10 pitchers in the senior circuit.

cashman blew this big time, he could have gotten more out of this, especially if he's going to cough-up 20 million of the contract. the pirates are getting aj for literally pennies on the dollar.

cashman just blew his marriage apart because he was messing around with some skank from britain who threw him under the bus. the guy is a tool, but yankee brass seem to like him. if montero starts tearing it up and pineda struggles, there will be more calls for his head. that wouldn't ruin my day

Guest baseball expert

aj should thrive in the nl. wouldn't be surprised at all if he turns out to be one of the top 10 pitchers in the senior circuit.

cashman blew this big time, he could have gotten more out of this, especially if he's going to cough-up 20 million of the contract. the pirates are getting aj for literally pennies on the dollar.

cashman just blew his marriage apart because he was messing around with some skank from britain who threw him under the bus. the guy is a tool, but yankee brass seem to like him. if montero starts tearing it up and pineda struggles, there will be more calls for his head. that wouldn't ruin my day

Figure his ERA to be lowered by about a run a game in the NL. That still puts him over 4 runs a game. AJ will be about 14-12 in the NL. I agree with you on Cashman. He is very overated, many more bad trades and signings then good ones.

Archived