Best All-Time STAC Baseball Players

Guest STAC baseball fan

Guest STAC baseball fan

Some great baseball players have played high school ball in this area.

Johnny Logan, Rob Gardner, Jim Johnson, Dennis Lubert, Jim Opie, Rich Miller (Ithaca- late '60's),

Ed Folli, Andy Nezelek, and many others. Top 5 Pitchers? Top 5 Catchers? Top 5 All-Around Players?

Guest Guest

Best All-Around Players:

#1) Johnny Logan (U-E & Major League All-Star with Milwaukee in the '50's)

#2) Jim Johnson (U-E & currently with Baltimore Orioles)

#3) Rob Gardner (Binghamton in '60's and major league pitcher in '60's and 70's)

#4) Dennis Lubert (JC & South Carolina in '70's, major league pick)

#5) Bob Holbert (JC & SF Giants system in the '60's)

#6) Jim Opie (Vestal in late '70's & Pitts. Pirates system in the '80's)

#7) Don Sprusansky (Vestal & Cin. Reds system in the '60's)

#8) Fran Boreffi (U-E & major league draft pick in the '80's)

#9) Mike Folli (U-E and Univ. of Buffalo, & St. Louis Cardinals system recently)

#10) Andy Nezeleck (U-E & Atlanta Braves system in the '80's)

*** M-E has had some great teams in recent years. Maybe I'm missing a couple M-E players should be on the list?

Guest Santa Claus

Lists are for Santa Claus. Who the eff cares...

Ho Ho Ho. Be nice or you won't get that butt plug you have been asking me for.

Guest Guest

Best All-Around Players:

What has he done besides throw the ball towards the plate?

Don't get me wrong. I think he's great and deserves many kudos, but "all around"?

That's like saying the Brown kid from Vestal about ten years ago (place kicker and kickoffs) was a great all-around football player.

Best All-Around Players:

#1) Johnny Logan (U-E & Major League All-Star with Milwaukee in the '50's)

#3) Rob Gardner (Binghamton in '60's and major league pitcher in '60's and 70's)

#4) Dennis Lubert (JC & South Carolina in '70's, major league pick)

#5) Bob Holbert (JC & SF Giants system in the '60's)

#6) Jim Opie (Vestal in late '70's & Pitts. Pirates system in the '80's)

#7) Don Sprusansky (Vestal & Cin. Reds system in the '60's)

#8) Fran Boreffi (U-E & major league draft pick in the '80's)

#9) Mike Folli (U-E and Univ. of Buffalo, & St. Louis Cardinals system recently)

#10) Andy Nezeleck (U-E & Atlanta Braves system in the '80's)

*** M-E has had some great teams in recent years. Maybe I'm missing a couple M-E players should be on the list?

Great list, but how can you leave out the greatest of all-time?

#1) Rotator Cuff Injury Guy (would have made it to MLB, but his career was cut short by a career ending rotator cuff injury)

-I remember Boreffi and the guy was a beast. Knew Gardner because I was friends with his son. Logan is the best, no doubt. Just to add to the list off the top of my head (not a lot of details though without googling)

-Joel Bennett

-Mike Coolbaugh

-Scott Coolbaugh

-"Wild" Bill Hallahan (little league field in Binghamton's Rec Park is named after him)

I did a research paper back in my college days about local guys who made it and the history is quite amazing. About half a dozen guys go way back to the 1880's.

Guest Guest

What has he done besides throw the ball towards the plate?

Don't get me wrong. I think he's great and deserves many kudos, but "all around"?

That's like saying the Brown kid from Vestal about ten years ago (place kicker and kickoffs) was a great all-around football player.

This is a stupid thing to say. You can say that about every pitcher on the list. MAYBE THE PHRASE SHOULD BE THE MOST ACCOMPLISHED BASEBALL PLAYER, IS THAT BETTER?

Guest Guest

Great list, but how can you leave out the greatest of all-time?

#1) Rotator Cuff Injury Guy (would have made it to MLB, but his career was cut short by a career ending rotator cuff injury)

-I remember Boreffi and the guy was a beast. Knew Gardner because I was friends with his son. Logan is the best, no doubt. Just to add to the list off the top of my head (not a lot of details though without googling)

-Joel Bennett

-Mike Coolbaugh

-Scott Coolbaugh

-"Wild" Bill Hallahan (little league field in Binghamton's Rec Park is named after him)

I did a research paper back in my college days about local guys who made it and the history is quite amazing. About half a dozen guys go way back to the 1880's.

The Coolbaugh's moved away and never played STAC baseball around here. I think Nezelek should move up higher then 10th on the list. He was a hotshot prospect who had great AA numbers until an arm injury short circuited his career. Baltz from Vestal will be on the top 10 if he is a high draft pick this year.

Guest Guest

The Coolbaugh's moved away and never played STAC baseball around here.

I think the older one did, but maybe only as a frosh or soph. But I'm not even sure Forks was STAC yet then. Would have been neat if the family stuck around, but I am thinking their careers and abilities took off even more with the Texas exposure and being able to play longer seasons etc.

Guest Haystacks Calhoun

Todd Brown from Chenango Valley was on the same college team as Barry Bonds and Bobby Bonilla and had a higher batting average than both of them. Unfortunately he lost his temper in one game in I believe the winter leagues and hit an umpire, which sealed his Major league career and reduced it to no potential. Unfortunate. I played all sports against Todd. very gifted and a nice kid. Also don't forget Clay Bellinger, Oneonta and world series champion with the Yankees.

Guest Frank

The best player in the history of Binghamton was the pitcher William "Wild Bill" Hallahan. Born in Binghamton in 1902, he debuted in the major leagues with the St. Louis Cardinals in 1925 and had a 12 year career. Hallahan led the Cardinals to the World Series title in 1931 over the Detroit Tigers with two complete game victories in which he only allowed a total of one run. He died in Binghamton in 1981.

And don't forget that Hallahan ALSO came in with two out and pitched to the tying run with the '31 Series on the line ... and he got the batter to fly out to center for the save, and for the World Series victory for the Cards.

Not too shabby.

Doubtful that ANY of the ids who play at Rec Park know who he is, which is a shame.

Guest baseball expert
The best player in the history of Binghamton was the pitcher William "Wild Bill" Hallahan. Born in Binghamton in 1902, he debuted in the major leagues with the St. Louis Cardinals in 1925 and had a 12 year career. Hallahan led the Cardinals to the World Series title in 1931 over the Detroit Tigers with two complete game victories in which he only allowed a total of one run. He died in Binghamton in 1981.

Hallahan never played in STAC, but you are correct, he was the best player ever out of the City of Binghamton. Gardner was second. Third place is distant from the top two.

Guest Guest

That was then this is now.

Guest Guest

George Mack- Binghamton, early 80's. Great football player at Ithaca College, but he was also very good baseball player (and basketball) too.

George Mack- Binghamton, early 80's. Great football player at Ithaca College, but he was also very good baseball player (and basketball) too.

Mack was okay but should not be mentioned in the same breadth as these guys who played pro and D1 ball.

Archived