Baseball Hall of Fame Vote - Bonds, Clemens, Piazza Shut Out

27 Time World Champions

No players were elected to the National Baseball Hall of Fame this year in a polarizing vote that reopened the wounds of the steroid era.

Barry Bonds was resoundingly rejected. So was pitcher Roger Clemens, who risked prison time by challenging allegations that he used steroids and successfully defended himself against perjury charges.

Craig Biggio came closest to election, getting 68.2% of the vote and falling 39 votes short. With 569 members of the Baseball Writers' Assn. of America returning ballots, 427 votes were required to meet the 75% standard for election.

This is only the eighth time since 1936 that no player has been elected by the baseball writers.

Former Detroit Tigers ace Jack Morris was second in the balloting with 67.7%. Jeff Bagwell got 59.6%, followed by Mike Piazza at 57.8% and Tim Raines at 52.2%.

For the first time since 1960, the Hall of Fame, will host a ceremony with no living inductees. The July 28th ceremony will honor the three inductees selected by a committee on baseball's pre-integration era, but all of those inductees have been dead for at least 74 years.

It may take more than 74 years for Bonds, Clemens and company to get in....if ever

Time for the BBWA to be gutted and knocked off their soapbox. Most of these guys were left off because of suspicion and innuendo. Way to promote the sport.

The bozos who decide won't have any credibility until they let Pete Rose in. He may have bet on baseball but at least he didn't do anything to affect his stats.

Those rejected this year deserved it............................

The bozos who decide won't have any credibility until they let Pete Rose in. He may have bet on baseball but at least he didn't do anything to affect his stats.

As a MANAGER he bet on baseball. First denied it, then he admitted it. Then he denied ever betting for or against the team he managed. Then he admitted he bet for his team. Odds are, with his LYING record he also bet on the Reds to lose.

To me, as a former commissioner of various leagues, he committed a worse "crime" against his sport than any of these PED users. Two things he denied he later admitted. Can you HONESTLY say you believe Pete Rose when he says he never bet AGAINST the Reds?

He should NEVER be admitted to the Hall Of Fame. His playing earned him being there, but he threw it away with his actions in his post-player years. Betting on the game nullifies his playing days.

As a MANAGER he bet on baseball. First denied it, then he admitted it. Then he denied ever betting for or against the team he managed. Then he admitted he bet for his team. Odds are, with his LYING record he also bet on the Reds to lose.

To me, as a former commissioner of various leagues, he committed a worse "crime" against his sport than any of these PED users. Two things he denied he later admitted. Can you HONESTLY say you believe Pete Rose when he says he never bet AGAINST the Reds?

He should NEVER be admitted to the Hall Of Fame. His playing earned him being there, but he threw it away with his actions in his post-player years. Betting on the game nullifies his playing days.

Based on his merits while playing the game he should be in....I don't care HOW much betting he did. I would be willing to say that there are hall of famers laughing in their graves over this because I'm sure betting and much worse was done throughout the history of baseball. Sorry betting and lying can never take away what Rose did on the field......as far as the bums on this year's ballot they should never even be considered.

Based on his merits while playing the game he should be in....I don't care HOW much betting he did. I would be willing to say that there are hall of famers laughing in their graves over this because I'm sure betting and much worse was done throughout the history of baseball. Sorry betting and lying can never take away what Rose did on the field......as far as the bums on this year's ballot they should never even be considered.

True, but they did not get caught. There are bank robbers out there that never got caught either. But those that did pay the price. Rose got caught destroying the integrity of the game he made his name in. If that is allowed it hurts the game and the integrity of it. He got caught and now he is paying he price.

True, but they did not get caught. There are bank robbers out there that never got caught either. But those that did pay the price. Rose got caught destroying the integrity of the game he made his name in. If that is allowed it hurts the game and the integrity of it. He got caught and now he is paying he price.

If upholding the integrity of the game is so important then why were the steroid users even put on the ballot? Their accomplishments are tainted whether they are looked at in 2013 or 50 years from now. That will never change and they should never be considered....ever! At least Rose's stats, what he accomplished on the field, are clean. I do not condone the betting but feel he is worthy of recognition more than the on-field cheaters.

I would be willing to say that there are hall of famers laughing in their graves over this because I'm sure betting and much worse was done throughout the history of baseball. Sorry betting and lying can never take away what Rose did on the field......as far as the bums on this year's ballot they should never even be considered.

Cal Ripken is in. You can't tell me he played all those games in a row without a little ped once in a while.

Cal Ripken is in. You can't tell me he played all those games in a row without a little ped once in a while.

Perhaps he did. But he didn't get caught.

You HAVE to punish the rule violators when caught. That is the bottom line. It is the only deterrent.

mike piazza didnt get caught, yet he didnt get in based on suspicion

the same writers that gave bonds mvp's, dont vote him into the hall

sad and ugly situation

Guest Pete Rose

Roger Clemens says to this day that he didn't take steroids. He's never flunked a drug test, and he went to two courts and they both ruled in his favor. I know there's suspicion, but you don't not vote for a guy because of suspicion. The baseball writers are worse than these guys.

Roger Clemens says to this day that he didn't take steroids. He's never flunked a drug test, and he went to two courts and they both ruled in his favor. I know there's suspicion, but you don't not vote for a guy because of suspicion. The baseball writers are worse than these guys.

Up until this coming Monday, Lance Armstrong has always denied taking PED, and never failed a drug test...and he had taken plenty of tests.

Monday on Oprah he is going to admit it.

The chemists making these drugs are a step ahead of the people developing the tests.

Clemens is guilty and you know it.

Archived