Shane Hurd out at U-E?

Guest Guest

Rumor has it that 10 people appled for the job , but the big names people were throwing around like Crooks and Patterson are not among the applicants.

I figured Crooks was getting ready to retire and collect his fat pension from M.E. Who are the frontrunners?

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Harvey Park

Wagner actually has under 40 scholarships. Should be in a conference with Ithaca. Syracuse might as well schedule St. Lawrence or Hartwick. http://www.college-s...ade-38-equal-61

Who is Machalek? The baseball guy from BCC forever ago? Good coach, is he still coaching?

IF Alger gets the football job, does he give up hoops? In the day of the year round single sport athlete, can a coach effectively run two programs, especially when their seasons run back to back?

Guest Guest

Wagner actually has under 40 scholarships. Should be in a conference with Ithaca. Syracuse might as well schedule St. Lawrence or Hartwick. http://www.college-s...ade-38-equal-61

Who is Machalek? The baseball guy from BCC forever ago? Good coach, is he still coaching?

IF Alger gets the football job, does he give up hoops? In the day of the year round single sport athlete, can a coach effectively run two programs, especially when their seasons run back to back?

Those 2 sports are not compatible. It might work at some small school but if they let him coach both they're crazy and cheating the kids.

Guest Guest

If Mullins applied, I would assume he would be the front runner, followed by Alger and Baleno. I can't see UE going outside to find a coach. Machalek is the JV baseball coach ( not the same coach from BCC) as well as an assistant on the varsity football team. The only question I have is why is this taking so long in finding a new coach?

If Mullins applied, I would assume he would be the front runner, followed by Alger and Baleno. I can't see UE going outside to find a coach. Machalek is the JV baseball coach ( not the same coach from BCC) as well as an assistant on the varsity football team. The only question I have is why is this taking so long in finding a new coach?

Alger is the front runner based on his basketball success.

I think you answered your own question............all in-house coaches suck. They are looking outside.

Guest Guest

I think you answered your own question............all in-house coaches suck. They are looking outside.

Good luck with that.

It's not often you bring an outsider like JC did with Chuck Gottfried 40 years ago!

Guest Guest

Good luck with that.

It's not often you bring an outsider like JC did with Chuck Gottfried 40 years ago!

??

Two of the last three head coaches U-E hired for football were outsiders.

Guest Guest

Rumor has it that 10 people appled for the job , but the big names people were throwing around like Crooks and Patterson are not among the applicants.

Who are some of the applicants?

??

Not to mention other head coaches in other sports that were outside hires.

Guest fact checker

??

What in the World are you talking about. Hurd and Guccia were both assistant coaches when they landed the job. Angeline was a U.E. alumni.

Guest Guest

What in the World are you talking about. Hurd and Guccia were both assistant coaches when they landed the job. Angeline was a U.E. alumni.

My bad. I had thought Hurd was a complete outside. Gucia I knew was an assistant and I did not include him (my 2 of three were Hurd and Angeline)

As for Angeline, I know he came over from the HC job at Newark Valley but had no idea he was a U-E alumni. Still, as far as I know he was never an assistant coach at U-E before he got the head job. Of course I could be dead wrong on that too.

Guest Guest

My bad. I had thought Hurd was a complete outside. Gucia I knew was an assistant and I did not include him (my 2 of three were Hurd and Angeline)

As for Angeline, I know he came over from the HC job at Newark Valley but had no idea he was a U-E alumni. Still, as far as I know he was never an assistant coach at U-E before he got the head job. Of course I could be dead wrong on that too.

I hope you don't have a job where facts are important..........

Guest Guest

You must be a relative of his. Mechanics stink,doesn't throw the ball on time. Perfect example is ME game, twice TE was opened for at least 5 yds and he threw the ball whenhe got to coverage and low where every bdy could get a hand on it instead of high 6'5" TE. Anyone can throw against Horseheads and Vestal, including my 11 yr old son. Against Sweet Home he was 11-35, watch the tapes, also not moble.

Personally, I don't think the Scepaniak kid is a great athlete, or good football player. D1 schools like Wagner have to take chances on kids, and why not take one on a 6'5" 220+ lbs kid that plays WR, QB, and DE. They recruit pure size. If you watch CS in a game like UE vs ME, the CB's ate him up. Those little guys like Sinicki, Wisniewski, and Jacoby/Uceta were all over him. He doesn't have good hands, and is afraid to catch the ball with anyone around him. Hell, even ME's QB, Kyle Gallagher knocked a pass out of his hands when he was in there. All I'm saying is good for CS that he got a scholarship, however if it was deserved is another subject. Nothing against the kid, just overrated in my eyes. And Hurd made the right decision starting JO.

Guest Paulie Peanuts

Personally, I don't think the Scepaniak kid is a great athlete, or good football player. D1 schools like Wagner have to take chances on kids, and why not take one on a 6'5" 220+ lbs kid that plays WR, QB, and DE. They recruit pure size. If you watch CS in a game like UE vs ME, the CB's ate him up. Those little guys like Sinicki, Wisniewski, and Jacoby/Uceta were all over him. He doesn't have good hands, and is afraid to catch the ball with anyone around him. Hell, even ME's QB, Kyle Gallagher knocked a pass out of his hands when he was in there. All I'm saying is good for CS that he got a scholarship, however if it was deserved is another subject. Nothing against the kid, just overrated in my eyes. And Hurd made the right decision starting JO.

Nail, meet hammer. Very well said. I'd bet anyone a dozen wings and a pitcher at Deacon's Bench that if he even does complete 4 years on the team, he makes few contributions.

Guest Guest

And what will you be doing the next 4 years smart guy? Let's see, you're obviously an NFL or college coach right? I doubt it. You'll be sitting home on your couch in your t-shirt and greasy pants living your nothing live. You're talking about a kid. How about you lighten up a bit. A kid who has played for 3-4 coaches and different teams in the past 4 years ......... probably because some parent like you encouraged him to make bad decisions. He's always been a QB, so you want to knock him for being "afraid to catch the ball with anyone around him". You can't compare anything he's done to any of the kids you mentioned because they've all had the advantages of growing up in systems that have made them what they are. He hasn't had that opportunity. I don't know the kid or his family or for that matter any of his coaches. I just know he's taken a lot of abuse from adults who most likely never accomplished anything, in HS or their adult lives. Give him a break. I wish him good luck in college and hope he proves you absolutely wrong.

Guest Mommy Brigade

And what will you be doing the next 4 years smart guy? Let's see, you're obviously an NFL or college coach right? I doubt it. You'll be sitting home on your couch in your t-shirt and greasy pants living your nothing live. You're talking about a kid. How about you lighten up a bit. A kid who has played for 3-4 coaches and different teams in the past 4 years ......... probably because some parent like you encouraged him to make bad decisions. He's always been a QB, so you want to knock him for being "afraid to catch the ball with anyone around him". You can't compare anything he's done to any of the kids you mentioned because they've all had the advantages of growing up in systems that have made them what they are. He hasn't had that opportunity. I don't know the kid or his family or for that matter any of his coaches. I just know he's taken a lot of abuse from adults who most likely never accomplished anything, in HS or their adult lives. Give him a break. I wish him good luck in college and hope he proves you absolutely wrong.

Great post!! Thanks Mommy!!!!!

Love,

Caleb

Guest johnson

Funny posts, you get a coach from outside the school district and often it just created headaches. Their is more to coaching then just showing up at 3 pm and running the drills. Furthermore, U-E's budget is looking bad. They will not be able to hire someone for a position unless its definitely needed for the school building. Otherwise, you will have a Vestal situation where Williams was prob the best candidate and was able to recruit kids from within the school system. You get the wrong person in this position now you can see U-E's program go south like a lot of other programs in the area. Before to long, all sports might be gone from the public schools and all the parents who criticize the coaching around here can go volunteer to coach for the local club programs and win those "Big - Time" scholarships, invest your money in something else besides thinking your kid is the best thing out there and let them have fun.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest

Funny posts, you get a coach from outside the school district and often it just created headaches. Their is more to coaching then just showing up at 3 pm and running the drills. Furthermore, U-E's budget is looking bad. They will not be able to hire someone for a position unless its definitely needed for the school building. Otherwise, you will have a Vestal situation where Williams was prob the best candidate and was able to recruit kids from within the school system. You get the wrong person in this position now you can see U-E's program go south like a lot of other programs in the area. Before to long, all sports might be gone from the public schools and all the parents who criticize the coaching around here can go volunteer to coach for the local club programs and win those "Big - Time" scholarships, invest your money in something else besides thinking your kid is the best thing out there and let them have fun.

The interviews must be over. Is Alger going to be offered the job? Will Alger take the job if they wanrt him to give up basketball? If he gives up basketball who would the new BB coach be?

Guest guest

Alger would be the worst possible choice. They need someone from outside the district, to stop the politics and favoritism that runs rampant at UE. Not to mention that he was a lousy OC, and coach.

Alger would be the worst possible choice. They need someone from outside the district, to stop the politics and favoritism that runs rampant at UE. Not to mention that he was a lousy OC, and coach.

Trust me............it's taking this long because they are looking outside! They know their choices from inside are not varsity head material.

Guest Guest

Who is running UE's off season program now.

You need to be hitting the weights and agility training and working on the new system.

It takes time to get people up to speed, football coaching is a ten month a year job for the varsity.

Guest guest endicott

Mullins is the going to be the next Head Coach. Best choice.

Mullins = Worst coach at any level at UE. Guy doesn't even know the game. AND he'd have to coach against his kids across the river. Mullins- no way.

Archived