johns flower mkt says might go out of buisness if slow again this year

OP.

it would suck to see one of the last original small buisnesses leave main st bob johns son does a great job is excessivly knowledgable when it comes to plants etc but they said with these other places online etc he may need to go out of buisness . I know he dosent wanty to but what can be done .

it would suck to see one of the last original small buisnesses leave main st bob johns son does a great job is excessivly knowledgable when it comes to plants etc but they said with these other places online etc he may need to go out of buisness . I know he dosent wanty to but what can be done .

I love John's! I also have to say that alot of small buisnesses do not market themselves well and change their business with changing times, and I do believe this is the case with John's. A small buisness must market well, listen to customers and change with a achanging market place. The flower business is touch these days as evryone is in it. You have every gorcery store having a flower department with a "grab" area near each register, and places like wallmart and other big box stores competing with you as well. Not to mention online competition. But... One has to set themselves apart from that type of competition if they are to succeed and stay open in the tough business world today. I actually think that can be done and hope they decide to stay open and work on gorwing their business.

I love John's! I also have to say that alot of small buisnesses do not market themselves well and change their business with changing times, and I do believe this is the case with John's. A small buisness must market well, listen to customers and change with a achanging market place. The flower business is touch these days as evryone is in it. You have every gorcery store having a flower department with a "grab" area near each register, and places like wallmart and other big box stores competing with you as well. Not to mention online competition. But... One has to set themselves apart from that type of competition if they are to succeed and stay open in the tough business world today. I actually think that can be done and hope they decide to stay open and work on gorwing their business.

I think they take online orders through one of those online order companys but I never see any advertising.

His time has passed same as Mom and Pop stores lost to big chains. Well, why would anyone pay his prices when you can go to Walmart, Price Chopper, almost anywhere today to get flowers, plants, trees, yes Walmart carries trees in season. He as others must realize as times change cheaper venues move in, writing is on the wall.

WE owned a grocery store a little convenient on the corner store, but when the Giant and A&P etc. came in we had to stay later and later and open earlier and earlier.7 days a week instead of 6 days until we knew we just couldn't compete with their prices, no different here.

I love John's too! They are always open those Sunday mornings when you've just realized it's Mother's Day or Easter. We get our Christmas trees there too. They deliver!

They do FTD for us too, so I'm sorry to hear they are having problems.

Guest business

how many jobs does he provide? salaries? health insurance?

why do we care when a small business goes down? i know everyone has a fuzzy feeling about them, but is not based in reality. they contribute nothing to the area. few jobs, low salaries, no benefits and higher prices. good riddance.

They'll be dead by Valentines Day. Congrats on saving some money though!

I bought them on Monday and today is Wed.-they are jsut like new-ha, ha, on you!1 They came with stuff to put in the vase to keep them like new! WHAT A DEAL!!! WORTH GOING THERE!

:D:D:D

how many jobs does he provide? salaries? health insurance?

why do we care when a small business goes down? i know everyone has a fuzzy feeling about them, but is not based in reality. they contribute nothing to the area. few jobs, low salaries, no benefits and higher prices. good riddance.

Your joking right?

I bought them on Monday and today is Wed.-they are jsut like new-ha, ha, on you!1 They came with stuff to put in the vase to keep them like new! WHAT A DEAL!!! WORTH GOING THERE!

:D:D:D

that "stuff" is to keep the water clear instead of turning slimey green & smelling badly if you don't change the water often enough.

that "stuff" is to keep the water clear instead of turning slimey green & smelling badly if you don't change the water often enough.

I have changed the water daily-it is clear and the roses aare beautiful! I add the package of stuff a little each day-it sure works! Plus I got a deal! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Guest business

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!! you're so mean. get a grip. how is he the heart and soul of a community. he employs nearly nobody, pays them nothing and i bet no benefits. so what's the up side? most small business owners are jerks anyway. so what is it that makes them the heart and soul of the community, paying minimum wage?

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!! you're so mean. get a grip. how is he the heart and soul of a community. he employs nearly nobody, pays them nothing and i bet no benefits. so what's the up side? most small business owners are jerks anyway. so what is it that makes them the heart and soul of the community, paying minimum wage?

So you're saying that you, too, are a small business owner?

The people I know that run small businesses are, most of them, reasonable people who provide a service to their comunities. I don't think any of them are getting rich.

No one likes Walmart, but you would still rather support the Walmarts instead of the Johns? Eventually there will just be one "company store" and what a sorry day that will be.

Well i went by Johns today and he wasent lost for customers i dont know what this old goat is complaining about hes in his 80s and has made plenty of money growing and selling his flowers. I would allways buy bedding plants and flowers from him til he kept charging astonomical prices, hell i have to work for my money too but i cant raise prices at the drop of a hat everytime my cost goes up why should he. Well anyways the moral to this story is i went to

sams club for some other supplies and what do you think i ran into? TWO dozen of the most beautiful long stem red roses that money could buy fresh of the fresh along with accrutiments for a whopping 28 bucks!! well i hate to say it but i go for the bang for the buck and i guess John its time to retire after all. The savings was well spent to i took my lady out for a nice dinner at Moxies.

So you're saying that you, too, are a small business owner?

I run a small buisness which is primarily seasonal not only do I provide our community a service but I take time to talk with my customers and I dont make any more profit after paying my bills than I would working for someonelse but johns flower shop and anthonys garage both give me a few hours once in a while to keep a few extra dollars in my pocket when I am slow I help them when needed they help me I might plow the lot at dannys get a few bucks and breakfast we all support each other I take great pride in what we all do look at garo he is a great body man tony castelli is really good at auto recons we all fill a nitch better than walmart and more personal.

what do you mean he is in his 80s john might be hanging around there but his son bob runs the buisness and his mom keeps the books still it was passed on and supporting another generation aside from him knowing more than walmart about anything that grows its better than another roach motel with boards on the window.

I run a small buisness which is primarily seasonal not only do I provide our community a service but I take time to talk with my customers and I dont make any more profit after paying my bills than I would working for someonelse but johns flower shop and anthonys garage both give me a few hours once in a while to keep a few extra dollars in my pocket when I am slow I help them when needed they help me I might plow the lot at dannys get a few bucks and breakfast we all support each other I take great pride in what we all do look at garo he is a great body man tony castelli is really good at auto recons we all fill a nitch better than walmart and more personal.

YOU RUN A BUSINESS AND YOU ARE ILLITERATE? GOOD FOR YOU. WHEN YOU LOOK AT THE REPORTS, HOW DO YOU KNOW IF YOU HAVE MADE ANY MONEY? PLEASE DON'T ANSWER. I STILL HAVE A HEADACHE FROM READING YOUR RUN ON SENTENCE.

YOU RUN A BUSINESS AND YOU ARE ILLITERATE? GOOD FOR YOU. WHEN YOU LOOK AT THE REPORTS, HOW DO YOU KNOW IF YOU HAVE MADE ANY MONEY? PLEASE DON'T ANSWER. I STILL HAVE A HEADACHE FROM READING YOUR RUN ON SENTENCE.
first thing is when I post on a web log I do not worry too much about grammer or puncuation. second thing I want to say is crawl back into your hole and wait to get yelled at by your boss again dont be mad because some had DELETED to take a chance and start a buisness.

Archived