The Worst Show on TV- SuperNanny

thebiggestlosersucks

for the past couple days i have been educating several of you as to why th Biggest Loser is a horrible thing to have on television. i must admit, last night i ran across and even worse show.

My lovely wife (god Bless her simple little mind) had DVR'd a show called Super Nanny and I tried to tune it out while reading Time on the coach after the kids had gone to bed. i'm sure all your poisoned little reality show minds are familiar with the concept. Last night was a show about some little rich mommy with a million dollar house and an inground pool and how hard it was for her to parent her 6 kids who wouldn't listen to her.

We need a show about this? She doesn't wanna be a parent? DELETED her.

Send that chubby little English broad to the trailer parks of the world were single moms are strugglin to make ends meet, or to some family whose Dad just got laid off and see if her stupid little obstacle courses solve all their problems.

This country gets dumber by the minute

I figure like Wife Swap, it's all scripted. The kids are little monsters and then in less than an hour they are perfect angels.

Every episode in Wife Swap is the same. The teens/kids are all rebellious, now the father crys at least once per episode,

and then in the end the rebellious teens/kids are just the perfect examples of american home life.

I figure like Wife Swap, it's all scripted. The kids are little monsters and then in less than an hour they are perfect angels.

Every episode in Wife Swap is the same. The teens/kids are all rebellious, now the father crys at least once per episode,

and then in the end the rebellious teens/kids are just the perfect examples of american home life.

Maybe

but it's still awful

Guest just me

I'm not saying that it isn't scripted or edited or that we as viewers don't see everything. However, I have sat with my husband and watched Supernanny. And it has started several conversations about us as individuals, as parents, as partners. We have discussed different techniques and approaches to parenting and our own relationship. Sometimes it's better to have a third party, especially one who is right there with you, introduce topics for discussion. That way, neither of the original two parties is to blame for 'starting anything'. In the short time we have been watching, we have used some techniques and advice from the show. Not just for parenting, but also for partnering. I don't believe that Supernanny is meant to be the type of show that you watch saying-- hey, that's just like us! Instead, I think it's meant to be more of a tool to get people thinking about their own lives and how they can make it better. I certainly wouldn't go so far as to change our whole household and try to be a perfect parent or partner. But I am willing to try things that might make things better. And who cares if I'm getting them from that show or going to see someone who is an 'expert'? As far as Jo going into a home with less fortunate families... maybe those families are too ashamed to be on TV. It's not like she knocks on the door and asks if the family needs help, you have to go to her.

Guest Solomon

Although my kids are all grown now, I've watched parts of a few episodes of Super Nanny. I'm not familiar with the idea of obstacle courses, and I'm not sure some of her strategies would have flown in our house (all those charts, "naughty mats" or whatever). But I have seen enough to know that Jo or whatever her name is always stresses the same important points. Whether the family of the week are millionaires or financially struggling, they all need to work on the same things; structure, consistency, and following through with consequences for behavior. They're so critical and so many parents just don't realize it. So if the show gets that message across, it can't be that bad.

Personally, I can think of a lot worse shows on TV. What's this new one I've seen commercials for where they hook someone up to a lie detector in front of their husband, wife, parent, etc., then proceed to ask them questions like, "Are you a virgin?" "Would you cheat on your spouse if you knew you wouldn't get caught?" "Do you think your mother is fat?" What the hell is that? That's entertainment? And I read the ratings are good. God help us.

Although my kids are all grown now, I've watched parts of a few episodes of Super Nanny. I'm not familiar with the idea of obstacle courses, and I'm not sure some of her strategies would have flown in our house (all those charts, "naughty mats" or whatever). But I have seen enough to know that Jo or whatever her name is always stresses the same important points. Whether the family of the week are millionaires or financially struggling, they all need to work on the same things; structure, consistency, and following through with consequences for behavior. They're so critical and so many parents just don't realize it. So if the show gets that message across, it can't be that bad.

Personally, I can think of a lot worse shows on TV. What's this new one I've seen commercials for where they hook someone up to a lie detector in front of their husband, wife, parent, etc., then proceed to ask them questions like, "Are you a virgin?" "Would you cheat on your spouse if you knew you wouldn't get caught?" "Do you think your mother is fat?" What the hell is that? That's entertainment? And I read the ratings are good. God help us.

Agreed.

Agreed.

i will second that agreed. Again this is a reality show but it has some good ideas and it may help someone to be a better parent. It does beat the lie detector, or the stupid find a wife/rich husband shows with no redeeming value. Don't forget, the reason a lot of these reality shows are on is because of the writers strike, now that it is over we will get some new shows again in a few months. but then again should some of these shows really come back?

Supernanny is good for a couple of reasons.

It makes you feel like you're doing a fantastic job with your kids when you see the train wreck families that they feature.

The dysfunctional families exhibit common problems which are blown out of scale which emphasizes the wrongness of issues you might otherwise ignore.

They always show well-to-do families who are falling apart due to the distractibility (computers and cell phones) or unavailability (work) of the parents.

It sparks discussion within families about what works, what's fair and what destructive things the family members might be doing.

...My lovely wife (god Bless her simple little mind) had DVR'd a show called Super Nanny and I tried to tune it out while reading Time on the coach after the kids had gone to bed. i'm sure all your poisoned little reality show minds are familiar with the concept...

I am aware of what that is, and I am also aware that it is "couch," and not "coach."

...This country gets dumber by the minute

Are you sure about that, Chief?

What? Like it is so much better to watch Lost or CSI ad nauseum or Numbers?

News flash, it is ALL pablum for the masses.

And yes I watch but I don't complain and I know what TV is.

Archived