Breaking news: USA Women Will Boycott Hockey World Championships

thomas

I read the article, doesn't say whether USAHockey is also the governing body of the men (I assume they are) and if so what are the men paid and for how long. Seems that it should be identical wage for identical input (granted, the men's team will generate more revenue but that is not the point.) If the men are (or are not) getting paid for greater than six months then the women should (or should not) get paid the same. Seems like a simple fix if one is warranted. No?

You may be right about the men's and women's national hockey teams. Then consider the Olympic Teams. The women train up to the Olympics starting the end of this month. The men are mostly NHL players now and have a much shorter train-up to the Olympics. To add, for the first time the Olympics also want millions of dollars from the NHL for the men's team to cover expenses. So far the NHL has said no. So the NHL and the Olympics are currently at an impasse on that issue. The NHL does have a budget for development of the game of hockey and the Olympic demands would seriously deplete that. It seems to me that some of the money from the existing NHL game development budget should go to the women's National and pro leagues (NWHL, CWHL), not to the Olympics. We'll see.

Interestingly, its obvious that the NHL guys are typically pretty well off and wouldn't need the stipend. The girls teams, however, are probably mostly college or recent college kids with addition of some of the new NWHL players. Will be interesting to see how it plays out. I do feel bad for the kids who are caught up in this boycott... once in a life time deal for most of them I would imagine.

Agreement reached.

http://www.espn.com/olympics/hockey/story/_/id/19042414/us-women-hockey-team-shrewd-steps-led-us-women-landmark-deal

NHL Network will televise the 2017 Women's Hockey World Championships from Plymouth, Michigan starting this Friday 3/31/17.

USA is defending champions.

USA wins 2017 World Cup 3-2 in OT.

Your 2017-18 USA National Women's Olympic Team announced. 12 from the NWHL, including 2 draft pricks.

http://teamusa.usahockey.com/page/show/3367388-2017-18-women-s-national-team

Archived