Could a THREE President system work here?

WolfMan

I am not saying I advocate this, as I haven't yet had the chance to even think about it, but I just read an article on USA Today where William Hurt (who plays the President in the film Vantage Point which opens this Friday), states that he feels we could use a 3-President system in this country.

I figure I'd post it here to open the idea for discussion. I know virtually all governments on this planet have a one-leader system, but could something like this work and why and if not, why not?

Initial gut reaction I feel not, but I'm interested in Pro & Con thoughts of others.

Discuss amongst yourselves:

William Hurt plays the president of the United States in Vantage Point, opening this weekend. For the role, he consulted with former president Bill Clinton.

Anyone who has seen the Vantage Point trailer knows that Hurt (as the president) gets shot, although not until the end of the movie does the audience understand what’s going on. While promoting the movie recently, Hurt said he talked with Clinton. “I asked him, ‘How does it feel when someone wants you dead?’” Hurt says. “He was very direct. He said, ‘You’ve got to be prepared to put your life on the line.'" Hurt adds, “We didn’t talk politics.”

Guess that means he's not a Hillary supporter? “I don’t think there should be one President of the United States," said Hurt. "What’s wrong with a three-pronged Executive Branch? We could have a President from the Northeast, the South and the West.”

as far as i see it, a three president system won't work. A three branch system is getting us through. If you were to do a three president system you probably end up giving them too much power or you would see nothing getting done because what if you have 1 republican president and 2 democratic presidents. You would end up with disagreements and nothing would probably get done. Therefore i see no point in this system. Also your post, doesn't talk about the question, it seems to more promote the movie.

as far as i see it, a three president system won't work. A three branch system is getting us through. If you were to do a three president system you probably end up giving them too much power or you would see nothing getting done because what if you have 1 republican president and 2 democratic presidents. You would end up with disagreements and nothing would probably get done. Therefore i see no point in this system. Also your post, doesn't talk about the question, it seems to more promote the movie.

I frankly have long advocated getting rid of the presidency altogether. While noble in its intent, I think the position has long become too close to being the very things for which we broke away from England - there's too much power in the hands of sometimes woefully unqualified people (the current occupant, for example). Taxpayers grouse about paying high property taxes to pay for schools, roads, bridges, police and fire protection but never give a thought to the mega millions spent each year for room and board, security, travel, etc. for this politician and his entourage. We paid millions to send Bush to Africa to have photo opps with African politicians and lay a wreath at the site of genocide in Rwanda. Money well spent? Hardly. The amount we spend to fly/drive this person around the world and staff the mansion, protect the person, etc. is mind boggling and nobody's ever happy with the job the person does.

Archived