Great Teachers of Binghamton Schools in the 60's, 70's Remembered

Guest Guest

A Tribute Remembering These Great Teachers of Binghamton Schools!

Remember these great teacher's of Binghamton? Mr. Marshall, Mr. Still, Mrs. Codispodi, Mr. Maughan (both brothers) ,Mr. Saznick, Mr. Stento, Mr. Wieland, Mr. Beylo, Mr. Strudgeon, Mr. Prosseda, Mr. Kelly, Mr. Menichiello, Mr. Carl Johnson, Mr. Kellogg my he rest in peace, Mrs. LaBonte, Mrs. Raponi, Mr. Kostun, Kevin O'Neil, Mr. Ted Goosley, Mr. Glasgow, Mr. Harris driver ed. Mr. Fougnier, Mr. Deyo, Mr. Dishinger, Gary Childs, Baxter and Tom Corgel, Kenny Fougnier, Dick Lalla great coachs.

These were some of my favorites there are more, for now these mentioned were the ones who shaped my growing up years.

I remember them at times thinking back of the simpler times and the fun we had in West Junior and High school.

Later I will mention others.....sorry just remembered Miss Lord, the Foley sisters.

Remember these great teacher's of Binghamton? Mr. Marshall, Mr. Still, Mrs. Codispodi, Mr. Maughan (both brothers) ,Mr. Saznick, Mr. Stento, Mr. Wieland, Mr. Beylo, Mr. Strudgeon, Mr. Prosseda, Mr. Kelly, Mr. Menichiello, Mr. Carl Johnson, Mr. Kellogg my he rest in peace, Mrs. LaBonte, Mrs. Raponi, Mr. Kostun, Kevin O'Neil, Mr. Ted Goosley, Mr. Glasgow, Mr. Harris driver ed. Mr. Fougnier, Mr. Deyo, Mr. Dishinger, Gary Childs, Baxter and Tom Corgel, Kenny Fougnier, Dick Lalla great coachs.

These were some of my favorites there are more, for now these mentioned were the ones who shaped my growing up years.

I remember them at times thinking back of the simpler times and the fun we had in West Junior and High school.

Later I will mention others.....sorry just remembered Miss Lord, the Foley sisters.

Corge???? Are you kidding me.

Good Lord...this really is a town that can't let go of its past.

Grow up...move on...it's a new millenium.

That's why you elect idiots....you vote for people because you "went to school with his or her brother" or they used to hang out in the same bar...."back in the day"...or "my dad knew his dad"....no wonder this town can't get out of its own way.

My favorites

Mr. Strudgeon (I was there when he beat both the Leo brothers in arm wrestling!!!), Mr. Maughan (both brothers), Mr. Stento, Mr. (Michael) Kelly, Mr. Ted Goosley, Gary Childs, (Bobby) Baxter and Tom Corge, Miss Lord....

I will also throw in Mr. Al Thompson, Ms Davis (Marie) & Miss Demaree (SP?)

My favorites?

Ray Stanton, he was full of himself but he was entertaining.

Mrs. Discipio, my english teacher, who tried to break me of my overuse of commas...as you can see, she failed.

Her husband Arden, who was my guidance counselor. We always ran into each other at the YMCA...he was playing hookey down there for handball, me for basketball. For 4 years, we never ratted each other out.

Ralph "my hair is folding in the wind" Muro, who passed me in a typing class, merely because he didn't want to see my face anymore.

Jack Cashman, PE instructor, who took great delight in humiliating me in gym class every week...great athlete, I think he was an ex Marine. Jud Blanchard was a jerk with no personality.

But my all time favorite teacher was at BCC. Morton Goldberg!!! He was one of the funniest people I ever met. His lesson plan was flawless! I think he ended up writing several books about "statistics"!

Guest Guest 122

Remember C.L. Denson at Mcarthur , he is still at west junoir i beleive ,he was my favorite, how many of you had to write the dictionary?? for him if you got in trouble LOL.

I'm the OP and forgot to mention my History Teacher at West Jr. Mr. Jack Thomas. He was a great teacher, person and made everyone feel comfortable in class. Was my football coach at West jr..

I enjoyed both jr high school and high school.

Guest class of 91

mr still???? are you kidding me? this guy was asleep 1/2 the time i had his class. many of us would take vocab tests with the book open in our laps. he did, however, introduce us to dickens and a tale of 2 cities is still one of my favs. haha! i also had denson... and yes, spent a time or 2 writing that dang dictionary. my fav teacher at bhs was mrs. diamond, 10th grade history. she told great stories and really engaged the class! wonder if she's still there.... at any rate, these teachers must have been relics in my time, class of '91. op described them as staff in the 60's & 70's, which i guess is possible.

Guest substitute
Hey, Is corgel the one who used to be west middle school principal? just wondering

Yes he is. He's very 'cordial', but towards the end he started slacking off and letting the little brats get away with too much, and didn't show support for the teachers. The new principal, Michael Holly, does a great job of keeping the punks in line. He got a standing ovation from the cafeteria staff when he cut off desserts until the kids learned to pick up after themselves. Hooray! Finally an adminstrator who promotes accountability in students. Kids nowadays get away with way too much because their parents don't take the time to teach them what's right.

Remember C.L. Denson at Mcarthur , he is still at west junoir i beleive ,he was my favorite, how many of you had to write the dictionary?? for him if you got in trouble LOL.

is Mr. Denson really still teaching? I remember him well and Mrs. Normile who would turn red when she got mad...I really liked them.

I was in Lalla's class when the Jets beat the Colts in the Super Bowl. He was mad.

Goosley looks the same. I saw him last year at St Mike's working the pierogi lines.

Childs was a jerk. Today the whole PE department would be arrested for the boy's swim classes they ran.

Guest class of 85
Matt Sopchak - Great guy!

There was Mr. Wright, Mr. Pakansik (misspelled), Mr.Freer- he sat in a chair in biology class and it broke, Mr. Vill- who seemed never to be sober, Joe Wolfer- coolest, Mr. Stento- whom loved all the popular girls.,

Oh yeah! The Hamby's ( math and gym), The Talbut's

I thinks that's it.

Doug stento AKA Charels Bronson and of course Gerald Loy was Clint Eastwood. Really liked Rodger Gilbert. It is no secret the age bracket of the OP. Frank Sasnick with the chalk dust spit grime around his mouth. Who was the lady with the gimp arm she would bang on the desk. I was just talking about Jerry Disinger last week. I never got "plate of the week" or the dinner at little Vennice. What teacher would try to pull that off now.

As far as not growing up....I wish my kids, who are in the school today, could live one week not worrying about the "tinos" or gangs and DELETED that they have to deal with.

I'll be back in this. I got a ton of stories. Mr Still with the stick up his DELETED. Warren Baconhouse in the shop. Hey you realise there are no machines in the shops In fact there arent any shops. Hell we did foundry projects and some of us even poured the crap ourselves. I lost my little screwdriver. Still have the anvil paper weight and the frying pan ashtray. Enough for now.

Guest tom foolery

Let's not forget Miss Helen Foley and Mr. Tom Clune!

Guest teachers pet

Bertie Lord and Koston were both at Woodland Manor within the past year and a half..Lord had a bad stroke and Koston is just a lazy peepants who's family dumped him off in the nursing home..they didn't keep him at Woodland because he was too lazy to take care of himself..I think he's at rivermead now..Mr. Harris was a nice man, Kellogg was a drunk AND a Perv and I got so violently ill from watching his legs drain in high school that I couldn't even make it through homeroom without having to run to the bathroom and puke. Mr. Glasgow was great..knew his stuff..Corgel catered to the blacks at West Middle and I went round and round with him when my kids were there..

Mr. Lorden is doing well, looks great and hasn't aged a day-I see him often. Paul Lee the science teacher was the best in my book-funny, intelligent, and knew how to get the students to enjoy science. Carl Johnson sold jewelry for a while after he left the high school espanol program..he had a shop across from the Giant on Main Street near JC..I bought some stuff off of him..and 25 plus years later it still looks great. Don't know where he is now..Debbie Maye is still hanging in there..I remember someone sending her a box of candy after she lost a ton of weight in order to sabotage her! lol (which she has put back on..sad for a gym teacher right?) Ted Goosley was a good guy..and a good teacher..What about Mr. Mann the Band Director!..now that was one awesome guy. Ever see that movie Mr. Hollands Opus where at the end all the students who had Mr. HOlland as a teacher all came back to honor him? That's what they should have done for Mr. Mann. Pumpkinhead Cashman was a JOKE. I remember a friend of mine absolutely HATED Cashman because she was always in his office for LAUGHING..this girl was going to be an actress btw..and the night before doing detention in his office she ate 3 cans of beans, a few Genny screamers, and Keilbasa, and when he called her into his office that morning she ripped the biggest fart you'd ever heard..all we saw was his face turn purple, him loosen his collar and bolt out of his office..never laughed so hard in my life..still talk to that girl to this day..she's living in florida and is an attorney now..which is the same as acting I guess! ..she never did office detention again btw..lol

Oh, and for those of you who remember her..Doris Giblin the wicked study hall monitor is at Ideal Nursing facility and is crazier than batshit..she's on the dementia unit. Still has her orange hair though...and from what I heard from a friend she's MEAN AND NASTY besides being nuts..SOMETHINGS NEVER CHANGE DO THEY!

Archived