Should Time Warner/Roadrunner sue Binghamton

Guest Guest

Guest Why Dude
Somebdoy said Time Warner Cable/Roadrunner could not challenge the City of Binghamton for unfair trade practices? Think again:

"Philadelphia's plan was ambitious, innovative, and quickly challenged by Verizon as unfair competition:

A chief complaint: a city can draw on taxpayer dollars, while a private company has to pay interest on borrowed capital. Also, the telecoms complain, public-sector projects are subject to far less regulation.

"Verizon has always been pro-competition if all of the competitors that are providing the same kind of service are

Should Binghamton sue Time Warner, 5% increase what the frig man :angry:

If anything the people of Broome County should be suing Time Warner for poor service, lies and slow internet.

Come on people. We have sat still long enough while this monopoly gets fatter every year.

They provide crap in HD programming. Heck, they can't even provide the local CBS affiliate in HD. WHY??? When you get a straight honest answer let me know.

We need to get this opened up and addressed. We are getting ripped off. What are the alternatives??? A dish on the roof?? Why is it that other areas offer different cable providers using the same cable not too unlike what the other monopoly, NYSEG, does?????

Do we need to march on Time Warner??? Seriously???? Do we need to turn this into a media circus before someone listens to our plight???

Overcharging, poor service, lousy signal, only a few HD channels???

Oh, wait.... I heard that TWC may be planning a major release of services. That is why there's been service interruptions. They need to install new hardware. Come April they (rumour has it) will be providing many HD channels, more content....YA-DA---ya--da---yada.

It's all just monopolistic BS and hype. We are getting ripped off. Now what will it take to motivate you to join forces and take them on?

Guest Guest

I guess you are are unfamiliar with DirecTV?

You can get high speed access from Plexicomm, it is faster and cheaper than Time-Warner. for home and business it actually works. We will see about their municipal system.

Or try a wireless card from Sprint/Nextel.

Then there is Verizon.

What monpoly are you refering to?

Notice that the Time Warner price increase also includes a TAX INCREASE.

The City of Binghamton and other local governments will now be getting more in "Franchise Fees" (which, as a percentage of the bill, will now be going up).

So, no, the City of Binghamton won't be suing Time Warner (unless, perhaps, many customers "vote with their feet" and switch to satellite so that the government's franchise fee revenue goes down instead of up).

The Binghamton public should sue Time Warner and NYSEG for being monopolies and for unfair business practices. We need competition to reduce prices, but instead we have a good ole boys club.

You're absolutely right. The reason why our electric and gas bills are so high is because those NYSEG worker's get paid an ungodly amount of money to do their jobs, and the only way NYSEG can afford to pay their employees are to have high rates. And of course you're going to pay for it, because today is now the day and age where people rely on electricity.

As for Time Warner, I had Charter Cable when I lived in Tennessee, and I think they had 2 speeds for cable Internet, and I order the slower of the 2, and I swear it was a heck of a lot faster than Road Runner. And as far as the Digital Cable goes, there are 1,000+ channels, and usually there isn't anything on worth watching! I've gotten to the point where I just don't turn on the TV much anymore.

You're absolutely right. The reason why our electric and gas bills are so high is because those NYSEG worker's get paid an ungodly amount of money to do their jobs, and the only way NYSEG can afford to pay their employees are to have high rates. And of course you're going to pay for it, because today is now the day and age where people rely on electricity.

As for Time Warner, I had Charter Cable when I lived in Tennessee, and I think they had 2 speeds for cable Internet, and I order the slower of the 2, and I swear it was a heck of a lot faster than Road Runner. And as far as the Digital Cable goes, there are 1,000+ channels, and usually there isn't anything on worth watching! I've gotten to the point where I just don't turn on the TV much anymore.

i can't talk about twc or nyseg they make me want to punch a baby

Guest Guest

Time-Warner/Roadrunner and Verizon, should do Binghamton a favor and get a court injunction to prevent further spending on the municipal wifi system while they prepare to sue the city for unfair business practices

We were told the City would spend $28,000 and that is what City Council voted on in July. Now we hear it is going to spend about $98,000.

Features

10 Reasons Your City Should Skip Municipal Wireless

(1 Comment)There are real reasons for the cool down in municipal wifi.

Michael Goodwin on October 10, 2007

.... Some of the issues are legal, some are financial, some are technical — and while there is still an undeniable appeal to a municipal wifi system, it behooves city planners to know what they're getting into.

1. Laws may rule that municipal wifi systems constitute unfair competition to private ISPs. In several cities, development of a municipal wifi system has been halted indefinitely while legal issues are ironed out. And several bills have been introduced at state and federal levels prohibiting cities from competing with private ISPs.

http://www.dailywireless.com/features/ten-...ni-wifi-101007/

Guest Guest

There is no monopoly.

tons of options for phone, plenty of options for internet, and options for tv.

Only thing you really HAVE to have and that isn't really a must, is the landline phone. The others are not a necessity.

Why are you guys being victims? Make your choices and move on.

Time-Warner should sue the City of Binghamton to save taxpayers more money being wasted on this wifi system.

Mr. A of JC has no direct stake in this given that he's not in the coverage area or a City taxpayer.

Over the weekend, I found a place inside a building where I have been able to get an 18.0-24.0Mbps connection without an amplifier or repeater, and an outdoor public parking location where a 36.0Mbs connection is available inside my car.

Maybe those who appreciate and are using the system might consider "chipping in" to buy a "Boycott Goodwill Theater and Bates-Troy Laundry 'til Arouzian Is Gone" ad on the "binghamtonwifi" log-in page.

This community is so much more than old fogies and fuddy-duddies like Mr. A of JC.

Think positive, man! Try tolerating those who have different backgrounds and interests. Don't be such a fascist!

So few people are in the coverage area, if Ed doesn't speak out about it who will.

That was nice that after prowling around for about a wek you found a place where the system actually works.

Good news!

When it turns out Ed is correct and this was a waste of $100,000 or so, will you admit it?

How ill it ever survive past the two years contract and the $58,000 grant? Will it lose $80,000 then every year?

Guest Guest

Well in the case of NYSEG. It is a regulated public utility and such is not a monopoly. They are subject to certain rules and their rates are regulated by government. Remember the rate cut and refund? Electricity isn't cheap, natural gas isn't cheap, delivery systems are not cheap. Quit whining, it will only get worse. Prices go up and pay goes down and we will all have to learn to sacrifice and conserve. It is reality, it is life.

So few people are in the coverage area, if Ed doesn't speak out about it who will.

That was nice that after prowling around for about a wek you found a place where the system actually works.

Good news!

When it turns out Ed is correct and this was a waste of $100,000 or so, will you admit it?

How ill it ever survive past the two years contract and the $58,000 grant? Will it lose $80,000 then every year?

So what will you say when it fails?

Did you see Sprint is now offering free laptop wireless cards giving users acces to their laptops ANYWHERE in the WORLD.

Why would you pay for wifi in Binghamton when for a little more you can log on anywhere??

Archived