Binghamton Has Many Reasons To Be Proud

Guest Guest

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, goodbye, Brian.

While you seemed like a nice guy, you are misguided and biased in your reporting.

Take a look at this statement you wrote, "As a shining example, the Regency Hotel and Conference Center -- a favorite target among the ineffectual whining crowd (I guess you mean me) -- has attracted a hefty investment from a group that found their fortune in a Scranton hotel. In a conversation I had with one of the Regency's prospective buyers, he compared Binghamton with Scranton, a city that transformed itself in recent memory. His optimism had some credence, given that it was backed by a $10 million investment."

That is simply inaccurate for many reasons.

First, that group you mention is based in California.

Second, the hotel in Scranton is the only property they have. They have operated it for only two years.

Third, they have not closed yet on the Binghamton Regency.

Fourth, they have not invested $10 million but, if the deal goes through, only $5.9 million, half of what you claim.

Fifth, you are probably assuming they will invest the other $4 million but there is no guarantee about that, even Tarik Abdelazim, the biggest supporter of the project admits that. "Now, you are right about the investment. There are no guarantees." - Monday, February 11, 2008 9:27 PM

In one short paragraph, Brain, you exemplified the problems with much of your reporting.

You and I have spoke and exchange numerous emails on many stories. As I often said you seem to buy an explanation from officials hook, line and sinker, without giving it any further thought. You did this in regard to the Regency. You did it in regard to the O'Neil Building. You did it in regard to Neighborhood Assemblies. You did it on numerous topics.

It leads somebody to one of two conclusions. Either you are very naive or you are espousing the same ideology as the people you are reporting on and biasly reporting about it. Neither bodes well for a good journalist. Be careful or you will end up like Mary Pat Hyland, we all know what happened to her or like a Calvin Stovall, ignoring news that doesn't appeal to you.

Have nice time in Florida

Use sunscreen.

PS The Regency sold for about one-third its cost. The lofts downtown you point to are surrounded by more and more empty store fronts even after all the new students were suppose to revive the downtown core. This week the City and restaurants are trying to offer them lunch specials to get them to leave the building. nobody is moving to downtown Binghamton just to buy a loft, ask Ari Meisel.

As I read the article I wondered who this person is that had no idea what they were talking about. Then at the end of the article the answer appeared. The article was writen by someone who worked at the Press & Sun Bulletin. It all came together then and I realized that this person is just another small time writer at a small time newspaper in a small time town. I feel sorry for the Press because they cannot find enough talent in this town to hire some real writers. Just look at their history. Any hack can come to "Greater Binghamton" and work for the Press. I agree that this person is so misguided they fail to see that Binghamton was a great place one time and it is not headed in any direction close to that very soon. Just the fact that the writer was leaving said it all. If it were that good a place, they would have stayed.

Ed

You say "we all know what happened..." to Mary Pat Hyland. I've been wondering about where she went (without a word from the Press). Can you enlighten me? It's like she dropped off the face of the earth!

Well, goodbye, Brian.

While you seemed like a nice guy, you are misguided and biased in your reporting.

Take a look at this statement you wrote, "As a shining example, the Regency Hotel and Conference Center -- a favorite target among the ineffectual whining crowd (I guess you mean me) -- has attracted a hefty investment from a group that found their fortune in a Scranton hotel. In a conversation I had with one of the Regency's prospective buyers, he compared Binghamton with Scranton, a city that transformed itself in recent memory. His optimism had some credence, given that it was backed by a $10 million investment."

That is simply inaccurate for many reasons.

Second, the hotel in Scranton is the only property they have. They have operated it for only two years.

Fourth, they have not invested $10 million but, if the deal goes through, only $5.9 million, half of what you claim.

Fifth, you are probably assuming they will invest the other $4 million but there is no guarantee about that, even Tarik Abdelazim, the biggest supporter of the project admits that. "Now, you are right about the investment. There are no guarantees." - Monday, February 11, 2008 9:27 PM

In one short paragraph, Brain, you exemplified the problems with much of your reporting.

You and I have spoke and exchange numerous emails on many stories. As I often said you seem to buy an explanation from officials hook, line and sinker, without giving it any further thought. You did this in regard to the Regency. You did it in regard to the O'Neil Building. You did it in regard to Neighborhood Assemblies. You did it on numerous topics.

It leads somebody to one of two conclusions. Either you are very naive or you are espousing the same ideology as the people you are reporting on and biasly reporting about it. Neither bodes well for a good journalist. Be careful or you will end up like Mary Pat Hyland, we all know what happened to her or like a Calvin Stovall, ignoring news that doesn't appeal to you.

Use sunscreen.

PS The Regency sold for about one-third its cost. The lofts downtown you point to are surrounded by more and more empty store fronts even after all the new students were suppose to revive the downtown core. This week the City and restaurants are trying to offer them lunch specials to get them to leave the building. nobody is moving to downtown Binghamton just to buy a loft, ask Ari Meisel.

i have to admit when i saw that comment of the "ineffectual whining crowd" i instantly thought of you. wow you really made a mark for yourself ed!! Just one question, is there anybody that you do like? You seem to degrade everyone and any one who doesn't agree with your jaded views. so do you like anyone, besides yourself? I mean that is very clear that you love yourself and think you are a better person than everyone else.

I thought Brian Liberatore did a pretty good job during his stint in Binghamton. His piece that ran in August "Who's really running Binghamton" about Mayor Ryan, Mary Clark, and the other Democrats like Cordisco and Massar was the only investigative jorunalism I've seen in the press in the last few years.

I don't blame him for leaving for a better job, and I agree with his piece in todays paper.

Good luck, Brian.

i have to admit when i saw that comment of the "ineffectual whining crowd" i instantly thought of you. wow you really made a mark for yourself ed!! Just one question, is there anybody that you do like? You seem to degrade everyone and any one who doesn't agree with your jaded views. so do you like anyone, besides yourself? I mean that is very clear that you love yourself and think you are a better person than everyone else.

are u kidding, ed loves the kradjians--he has to!

Poptart, do you any comment to make that is not about Ed?

Criticizing somebody's work, especially their literary work, is not degrading them.

Liberatore did some good pieces. Others ignored the facts. When you spend 45 minutes being questioned by someone ostensibilty for a story and they use an attributed six or seven word comment, you have to wonder...

Poptart, do you any comment to make that is not about Ed?

Criticizing somebody's work, especially their literary work, is not degrading them.

Liberatore did some good pieces. Others ignored the facts. When you spend 45 minutes being questioned by someone ostensibilty for a story and they use an attributed six or seven word comment, you have to wonder...

of course i post comments on almost everything on here. see i, unlike you/ed,am able to look at other topics. and have posted on many on here. unlike you...i mean ed, i do not focus my energy on something that i can not control. what exactly do you, i mean ed, gain by perseverating on the mayor? it doesn't change anything. he is still the mayor and he is doing what he is doing. and you...i mean ed, is still a nobody. He/you are so pathetic that you will not run for office, but you choose to come on here and post your opinions that are unproven and sadly will never be attempted. are you trying to tell me that they wanted to interview ed for that story? if thats true...how do you know unless you are ed.

of course i post comments on almost everything on here. see i, unlike you/ed,am able to look at other topics. and have posted on many on here. unlike you...i mean ed, i do not focus my energy on something that i can not control. what exactly do you, i mean ed, gain by perseverating on the mayor? it doesn't change anything. he is still the mayor and he is doing what he is doing. and you...i mean ed, is still a nobody. He/you are so pathetic that you will not run for office, but you choose to come on here and post your opinions that are unproven and sadly will never be attempted. are you trying to tell me that they wanted to interview ed for that story? if thats true...how do you know unless you are ed.

Perseverate.

You gotta love that word.

are u kidding, ed loves the kradjians--he has to!

Of course he does. Ever notice how when he's posting pictures of vacant properties, he never posts the pictures of the Kradkian properties on front street? and how he restircts his "political commentary" to Binghamton, but overlooks what goes on in JC? why? cause' he will never bite the hand that feeds him. At least he's a loyal attack dog, I'll give him that. Oh, and how come he clarifies who he sent those 500 e-mails to, but will not comment on the weapons and drugs that were found? mmmhhhhh.... yet, it is everyone else who overlooks, lies or cover. Eddy? no, he's ethical, righteous, intelligent and involved.

Why do you alawys insit on making every topic about me when this was clearly about Brian Liberatore's departure and his last column for Press & Sun-Bulletin?

I have responded to these allegations (and that is all they EVER were) for six year now. I have NEVER changed my explanation and there has NEVER been any proof to contradict me. All those supposed weapons charges were dropped because I had a permit for the rifles (a .22 bolt action Winchester and pellet gun!) which was one my father owned 60 years ago or more! Same for any drugs, I have nothing to offer about any drugs because I know nothing about them. That would explain why I walked out of court wihout any kind of fine or penalty whatsoever. It also explains why people only ever offer the same single newspaper report and have nothing more to show for all this hype.

Now back to Liberatore's article and the topic of this thread, my comments are very clear. I would add that with regard to The Regency Hotel deal it has been more than sixty (60) days since the December 27, 2007 contract signing and the deal should have been closed by now.

Is The Regency Deal closed?

Did they find their financing or did it fall throgh.

Did the City give them a 30-day extension as available in the contract?

Well, goodbye, Brian.

Take a look at this statement you wrote, "As a shining example, the Regency Hotel and Conference Center -- a favorite target among the ineffectual whining crowd (I guess you mean me) -- has attracted a hefty investment from a group that found their fortune in a Scranton hotel. In a conversation I had with one of the Regency's prospective buyers, he compared Binghamton with Scranton, a city that transformed itself in recent memory. His optimism had some credence, given that it was backed by a $10 million investment." (BTW, only one of the ten or so prospective buyers is ever quoted, just the one in Scranton, never the rest in California)That is simply inaccurate for many reasons.

Fifth, you are probably assuming they will invest the other $4 million but there is no guarantee about that, even Tarik Abdelazim, the biggest supporter of the project admitted to me. "Now, you are right about the investment. There are no guarantees." - Monday, February 11, 2008 9:27 PM

In one short paragraph, Brian, you exemplified the problems with much of your reporting.

Use sunscreen.

PS The Regency sold for about one-third its cost. The lofts downtown you point to are surrounded by more and more empty store fronts even after all the new students in the new BU Building were suppose to revive the downtown core. This week the City and restaurants are trying to offer them lunch specials to get them to leave the building and another restaurant closed. Even a nicer coffee shop, the very place your would expect students and academics to hang, out closed. Nobody is moving to downtown Binghamton just to buy a loft, ask Ari Meisel.

Guest Guest
Why do you alawys insit on making every topic about me

It's probably because you chose to make every topic about you. I'm sure you don't agree since that's clearly within your personal blind spot.

Guest Guest

Poor DELETED.... He's going to miss the rolling hills and 6 months of cloudy, cold winters. I feel sorry for him.. He's also going to miss his sweet job at a high class newspaper like the Press & Sun...

Guest Guest

Brian Liberatore's article simply confirms what I've thought for a long time.

Binghamton always looks better in the rearview mirror.

Guest Guest
So leave!

You mean like Brian Liberatore did?

Say what you want...but even he realized there was no future for him in that rusted out decaying pile of crap known as Binghamton.

Say what you want...but even he realized there was no future for him in that rusted out decaying pile of crap known as Binghamton.

yea when you are a journalist...there other places to go. but say what you want, people like living here and are able to do well for themselves.

Guest Guest
yea when you are a journalist...there other places to go. but say what you want, people like living here and are able to do well for themselves.

Say what you want, but there are less and less people who are able to do well for themselves in Binghamton and Broome County.

Any way you slice it, the area has become poorer and more economically depressed...it's become a welfare town and that's why more and more people have been steadily leaving.

Guest Guest

Yes, leave like he did. This community has alot of problems, I am very aware of that. One of the big problems becoming apparent through the rise of BCVoice is that there are a ton of apathetic nay sayers that just seem to thrive on being negative about everything. Who would want to come forward trying to provide real leadership and solutions knowing they'll be slammed for every idea they try to present.

I made a list of positive points in another thread. I can't remember which one. Maybe the "how to fix Binghamton" one. This place isn't so bad. Even with all our problems.

Nobody is forcing you to live here. Its a freedom we enjoy in this country. Get out of town.

But before you go, just for fun, tell me where you'd rather go and why.

Guest Guest
Yes, leave like he did. This community has alot of problems, I am very aware of that. One of the big problems becoming apparent through the rise of BCVoice is that there are a ton of apathetic nay sayers that just seem to thrive on being negative about everything. Who would want to come forward trying to provide real leadership and solutions knowing they'll be slammed for every idea they try to present.

I made a list of positive points in another thread. I can't remember which one. Maybe the "how to fix Binghamton" one. This place isn't so bad. Even with all our problems.

Nobody is forcing you to live here. Its a freedom we enjoy in this country. Get out of town.

But before you go, just for fun, tell me where you'd rather go and why.

That same freedom you claim everyone has to "leave" is also the same freedom everyone has to complain about the town they love.

Archived