Binghamton Has Many Reasons To Be Proud

Guest Guest

That same freedom you claim everyone has to "leave" is also the same freedom everyone has to complain about the town they love.

i don't know about you, but when i am unhappy about something, i go to change it. Everyone has the right to whine about the area, but when are the "ineffectual whining crowd" going to step up and do something about it? There are make a difference days that neighbors come together and clean up parts of their communities or do something to better their neighborhood. Yet at the same time the majority of people do nothing or worse yet, they complain about that it's not their job and they pay taxes for someone to do it. So yes they have a right to complain, and they also have a right, or a responsibility, to do something about it. This is everyones community, so we all should take pride in it. you have to start somewhere.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Guest
That same freedom you claim everyone has to "leave" is also the same freedom everyone has to complain about the town they love.

So very true. I guess you put me in my place. But my point was and is, that the collective apathetic negativity is part of the problem holding us back. We need more people thinking about positive ideas and less people thinking (and sharing) fatalisitic thoughts like its " a rusty old pile of crap."

When enough people start believing that, they'll give up on trying to make the place better. Is that what you want?

I still think our community has a ton of potential to be one of the best places to live in the country. We made the top 100 once. Remember?

Guest Guest
So very true. I guess you put me in my place. But my point was and is, that the collective apathetic negativity is part of the problem holding us back. We need more people thinking about positive ideas and less people thinking (and sharing) fatalisitic thoughts like its " a rusty old pile of crap."

When enough people start believing that, they'll give up on trying to make the place better. Is that what you want?

I still think our community has a ton of potential to be one of the best places to live in the country. We made the top 100 once. Remember?

Once...nearly 30 years ago.

Now who's living in the past?

The reality is this town is on the decline and has been for 30 years...and it isn't because of people thinking incorrect thoughts.

Playing this stupid "negaitve" vs "positive" game is a pointless diversionary distraction...designed to keep people from focusing on the real problem....POOR PUBLIC POLICY....enacted and promoted and defended by INCOMPETENT, CORRUPT, and PHILOSOPHICALLY BANKRUPT POLITICIANS, so called "COMMUNITY LEADERS" and their willing accomplices in the LAZY LOCAL MEDIA.

Of course he does. Ever notice how when he's posting pictures of vacant properties, he never posts the pictures of the Kradkian properties on front street? and how he restircts his "political commentary" to Binghamton, but overlooks what goes on in JC? why? cause' he will never bite the hand that feeds him.

Ed, please do us all a favor and get the Kradjins to fix up that grey dump on Front St. right at the corner of Main and Front St. before it falls down. Also, their several story property at the corner of Collier and Court has had a string of broken Christmas lights hanging from the corner of the roofline down to the street for several years now. The patchwork paintjob on the side of the building looks very dumpy. Please ask your boss's family to start taking care of their places and stop making downtown look like the crap you always complain about. Thanks.

Guest Guest
Ed

You say "we all know what happened..." to Mary Pat Hyland. I've been wondering about where she went (without a word from the Press). Can you enlighten me? It's like she dropped off the face of the earth!

I too would like to know what happened to her. She just disappeared.

Guest guest

First this area was never in the "top 100 places" the weather has always been in the bottom 100 and the only reason people came and stayed in this area is they could make a living and feed their families. When the business left,of course the people left. These were people of all classes that actually worked for a living and were law abiding and helped the communities grow and prosper.These were also the people that cared enough to try and change the area to something better and gave their time and effort to do that.There are 3 things that make a area desirable 1. good weather and entertainment.2 a infrastructure with low costs (taxes and energy) 3. a way to make a living. Now people are willing to let the first two go somewhat but can not on the third and with out the third you can not maintain the second.

Guest Fry Mumia
Yes, leave like he did. This community has alot of problems, I am very aware of that. One of the big problems becoming apparent through the rise of BCVoice is that there are a ton of apathetic nay sayers that just seem to thrive on being negative about everything. Who would want to come forward trying to provide real leadership and solutions knowing they'll be slammed for every idea they try to present.

I made a list of positive points in another thread. I can't remember which one. Maybe the "how to fix Binghamton" one. This place isn't so bad. Even with all our problems.

Nobody is forcing you to live here. Its a freedom we enjoy in this country. Get out of town.

But before you go, just for fun, tell me where you'd rather go and why.

Lifelong residents should be the ones to leave? Are you nuts? It's the scum moving into this area that's ruining it. You should spend sometime researching the destruction of Detroit.

It's very well documented on the Internet. It even has photos of before and after the blacks. Blacks do not share the same propensity for civilization as the rest of us. When they were discovered in Africa by Whites, blacks had not domesticated one animal, cultivated one crop, built any definable technology or developed one tool beyond the stone age. They are unique among modern human civilizations in that they gained every single innovation of civilization from others. And they have great trouble maintaining almost all the elements of civilization without intense support from others. The reason should be obvious but political correctness prevents it from becoming conscious. Wherever blacks live, there is inhumanity in direct proportion to their numbers and/or the power they have. Further, a shift in their power or numbers, shifts the level of inhumanity present. Seen mostly in Africa and in certain communities in the western world, this phenomenon is both reliable (few to no exceptions) and disturbing (the intensity of the inhuman behavior is vile and tough for humans to comprehend). Blacks are not human because they always act inhumanely.....when they can get away with it.

Guest Guest
First this area was never in the "top 100 places" the weather has always been in the bottom 100 and the only reason people came and stayed in this area is they could make a living and feed their families. When the business left,of course the people left. These were people of all classes that actually worked for a living and were law abiding and helped the communities grow and prosper.These were also the people that cared enough to try and change the area to something better and gave their time and effort to do that.There are 3 things that make a area desirable 1. good weather and entertainment.2 a infrastructure with low costs (taxes and energy) 3. a way to make a living. Now people are willing to let the first two go somewhat but can not on the third and with out the third you can not maintain the second.

Money Magazine rated it as one of the top 100 places to live.....during the Crabb Administration.

30 years ago.

Guest guest
Money Magazine rated it as one of the top 100 places to live.....during the Crabb Administration.

30 years ago.

I'm sure that we won that honor solely because of our very resilient manufacturing base at the time and our middle of the road infrastructure. Our weather hasn't changed but in the last 30 years our infrastructure as gone down hill by a large amount and taxes and energy have gone up exponentially. 30 years ago we didn't have the highest taxes in the nation and energy costs were comparable to the rest of the country.Remember the rating of lowest cost of living Forbes gave us just last year? That was based solely on our lowest cost of housing in the state,and that was because our home market is worthless.The housing market is so downtrodden because no one wants to live here.Why? Well it goes right back to even though the house can be bought cheaply you still have to pay for it and the cost to maintain it and if there is no way to do that the low price becomes meaningless.It still all comes back to jobs and taxes and when the majority of well paid jobs are the one that are paid for by taxes you have a cycle that is almost impossible to curtail.

Guest Guest

3 things that make an area desirable

1 - good weather and entertainment ( that's two actually)

our weather is not the best. But here are the positives - we get variety; 4 seasons

we also haven't had much history of natural disaster except the 100 year flood that just came, but everyplace has that

to deal with. No hurricanes, earthquakes, or tornados.

Entertainment - open up Good Times in the Press. Can't afford the paper cause you can't find a job?

2 mainstream movie complexes

1 discount movie complex

1 foreign artsy fartsy film house

2 event complexes

college sports

hockey

Baseball

2 small scale live music houses - Magic City and Night Eagle Cafe

zoo

Endicott Performing Arts Center

Cider Mill Play house

I know I'm probably missing some. Still bored?

We're within 3.5 hours travel time of NYC - there's a place called Broadway. You could hop in your car, drive down there and watch a broadway play tonight! Tomorow you should check out the Met before you come back.

I'd like to point out that we used to have an opera house and a symphony. We lost them due to lack of patronage.

2- good infastructure = low taxes and energy costs (not the same thing but ok)

3- a way to make a living

I'd like to address the other two points at once. First, you can make a living in this town. It isn't as easy as it was even a few years ago, but there are decent paying jobs for hardworking people. Remember, even with our high utility bills and taxes, the cost of living here isn't that bad compared to alot of places.

Now I'm going to start agreeing with you. Our road system is pretty good, its the maintenance of them that leaves something to be desired. I'd like to see the city budget more money for road repair and contract out the service to private companies. We need to cut the cost of government to be able to lower taxes. I would start by telling all the department heads to submit a plan for a 10% cost reduction. Either by attrition of workers, or spending less on equipment and supplies.

As a local businessman, I don't approve of subsidizing taxes to entice new business. It isn't fair to the businesses that are already here paying their share. I beleive the best long term plan is to cut costs so we can lower taxes so that its a more attractive business environment.

Energy costs is another story. NYSEG's stranglehold has to be broken. Maybe the city could put a couple windmills on top of the tainted tower - state office building - maybe cover it in solar panels. Then look into the Village of Endicott's deal. I don't know much about it other than its a co-op and its alot chealer than NYSEG. The gasoline and oil thing is a huge concern that extends beyond our community. I'm hearing $4.00 by labor day. OW!!! We need to really find a way to lower our demand. The city should sponsor a buy local campaign. Provide a means for people to discover the stuff that's made locally. It wouldn't cost much and might actually generate some value. There could be a web-site and maybe even a local fair with a beer tent (just kidding unless there is a locally made beer.)

Thanks for giving me something to chew on. That was fun.

Guest Guest
Lifelong residents should be the ones to leave? Are you nuts? It's the scum moving into this area that's ruining it. You should spend sometime researching the destruction of Detroit.

It's very well documented on the Internet. It even has photos of before and after the blacks. Blacks do not share the same propensity for civilization as the rest of us. When they were discovered in Africa by Whites, blacks had not domesticated one animal, cultivated one crop, built any definable technology or developed one tool beyond the stone age. They are unique among modern human civilizations in that they gained every single innovation of civilization from others. And they have great trouble maintaining almost all the elements of civilization without intense support from others. The reason should be obvious but political correctness prevents it from becoming conscious. Wherever blacks live, there is inhumanity in direct proportion to their numbers and/or the power they have. Further, a shift in their power or numbers, shifts the level of inhumanity present. Seen mostly in Africa and in certain communities in the western world, this phenomenon is both reliable (few to no exceptions) and disturbing (the intensity of the inhuman behavior is vile and tough for humans to comprehend). Blacks are not human because they always act inhumanely.....when they can get away with it.

Getting the KKK out of Binghamton will help improve our image.

Guest Guest
Now back to Liberatore's article and the topic of this thread, my comments are very clear. I would add that with regard to The Regency Hotel deal it has been more than sixty (60) days since the December 27, 2007 contract signing and the deal should have been closed by now.

Did The Regency Deal close?

Did they find their financing or did it fall through?

Did the City give them a 30-day extension as available in the contract?

Interesting questions?

Where does the deal stand?

Is it happening or dead in the water?

Guest guest
3 things that make an area desirable

1 - good weather and entertainment ( that's two actually)

our weather is not the best. But here are the positives - we get variety; 4 seasons

we also haven't had much history of natural disaster except the 100 year flood that just came, but everyplace has that

to deal with. No hurricanes, earthquakes, or tornados.

Entertainment - open up Good Times in the Press. Can't afford the paper cause you can't find a job?

2 mainstream movie complexes

1 discount movie complex

1 foreign artsy fartsy film house

2 event complexes

college sports

hockey

Baseball

2 small scale live music houses - Magic City and Night Eagle Cafe

zoo

Endicott Performing Arts Center

Cider Mill Play house

I know I'm probably missing some. Still bored?

We're within 3.5 hours travel time of NYC - there's a place called Broadway. You could hop in your car, drive down there and watch a broadway play tonight! Tomorow you should check out the Met before you come back.

I'd like to point out that we used to have an opera house and a symphony. We lost them due to lack of patronage.

2- good infastructure = low taxes and energy costs (not the same thing but ok)

3- a way to make a living

I'd like to address the other two points at once. First, you can make a living in this town. It isn't as easy as it was even a few years ago, but there are decent paying jobs for hardworking people. Remember, even with our high utility bills and taxes, the cost of living here isn't that bad compared to alot of places.

Now I'm going to start agreeing with you. Our road system is pretty good, its the maintenance of them that leaves something to be desired. I'd like to see the city budget more money for road repair and contract out the service to private companies. We need to cut the cost of government to be able to lower taxes. I would start by telling all the department heads to submit a plan for a 10% cost reduction. Either by attrition of workers, or spending less on equipment and supplies.

As a local businessman, I don't approve of subsidizing taxes to entice new business. It isn't fair to the businesses that are already here paying their share. I beleive the best long term plan is to cut costs so we can lower taxes so that its a more attractive business environment.

Energy costs is another story. NYSEG's stranglehold has to be broken. Maybe the city could put a couple windmills on top of the tainted tower - state office building - maybe cover it in solar panels. Then look into the Village of Endicott's deal. I don't know much about it other than its a co-op and its alot chealer than NYSEG. The gasoline and oil thing is a huge concern that extends beyond our community. I'm hearing $4.00 by labor day. OW!!! We need to really find a way to lower our demand. The city should sponsor a buy local campaign. Provide a means for people to discover the stuff that's made locally. It wouldn't cost much and might actually generate some value. There could be a web-site and maybe even a local fair with a beer tent (just kidding unless there is a locally made beer.)

Thanks for giving me something to chew on. That was fun.

Weather/entertainment I put together because I meant as in warm weather beaches and cold weather snow sports ect. The forms of entertainment you've listed every city of any size at all has.Giving the closeness of NYC isn't a consideration for most and is in fact a detractor for many.In other forms of entertainment why not list the high number of bars and the vast number of drug dealers too? I believe that NYC also has better sports teams,museums and all other forms of entertainment than this area too,why not go there for everything?

Work and pay is everything to the family. I have news for you even though you can peck out a living here it isn't easy and just by the way you bring it up makes me thing that you might be one of the ones that is living off a tax paid job. As I said before if taxes are high and you are getting something for it you can put up with the drain but when everything is higher than the norm and you are getting less and less the drain becomes a penalty for which you receive nothing.

Here the poor weather is just another cost we have to bear through damage to the infrastructure and higher heating bills added repair costs.The warmer weather during our short summer is just a respite and a time to leave the area and forget our troubles.

Guest Guest
I believe that NYC also has better sports teams,museums and all other forms of entertainment than this area too,why not go there for everything?

Partying at NYC prices on Binghamton salaries doens't take you very far.

Guest tobin
The lofts downtown you point to are surrounded by more and more empty store fronts even after all the new students were suppose to revive the downtown core.

The lofts downtown cost as much as the condo I rented (the Waverly) in Downtown Orlando. Why would someone in their right mind pay four digits for an apartment in a ghost town like Downtown Binghamton? It seems these "investors" invest so much money on them, then want the money all back in 3 months. That's not going to happen. Point blank, problem is that the lofts are too expensive. And yeah, Ari Meisel is out of his mind if he's trying to get 200K plus for an apartment next to a HUGE railyard, and located in the hood. A little smarter planning, a little less wishful thinking, and this area may turn around.

Guest Guest

The real ineffectual whiners are the so-called political and economic "leaders", and their press apologists. How many times are we going to read another one of these stories? It's like the Jimmy Carter malaise speech. Come off it already.

Guest Guest
Weather/entertainment I put together because I meant as in warm weather beaches and cold weather snow sports ect. The forms of entertainment you've listed every city of any size at all has.Giving the closeness of NYC isn't a consideration for most and is in fact a detractor for many.In other forms of entertainment why not list the high number of bars and the vast number of drug dealers too? I believe that NYC also has better sports teams,museums and all other forms of entertainment than this area too,why not go there for everything?

Work and pay is everything to the family. I have news for you even though you can peck out a living here it isn't easy and just by the way you bring it up makes me thing that you might be one of the ones that is living off a tax paid job. As I said before if taxes are high and you are getting something for it you can put up with the drain but when everything is higher than the norm and you are getting less and less the drain becomes a penalty for which you receive nothing.

Here the poor weather is just another cost we have to bear through damage to the infrastructure and higher heating bills added repair costs.The warmer weather during our short summer is just a respite and a time to leave the area and forget our troubles.

You're right! This place sucks and I can't figure out why I've run a business here my entire life. I'm shutting down and moving to.... where did you say was better?

Guest guest
You're right! This place sucks and I can't figure out why I've run a business here my entire life. I'm shutting down and moving to.... where did you say was better?

Johnson City. there they have no problems, they have a thriving community. The mayor is impeccable in his politics and decision making. Also, there you will have the opportunity to live in close proximity to quasi-royalty such as the Kradjians and Ed. Farewell, send a post-card from the land of plenty and pray for us lowly people who will never have the opportunity to experience such abundance and beauty as those who live in JC experience everyday. If you see Ed ask him to sign an autograph, will ya?

Guest Guest

Johnson City

1. A new Walgreens.

2. A new NBT bank

3. A new Sante Health Clinic

4. A new Wal-Mart

5. A new $4,000,000 medical building beside Wilson Hosptial.

6. A new multimillion dollar UHS parking faciltiy.

7. A new Gannett printing plant.

8. A new performance space and arts complex

9. A new Christmas Tree Shop and Petco.

10. A new medical building soon to be built beside Sante Health Clininc.

12. An old building demolsihed on Baldwin.

13. An old building about to be dempolished on Corliss.

14. Expansion at BAE.

15. A new pharmacy.

16. A new Factory Carprt Outlet.

It goes on and on..

Guest Guest

This "hole" area is a DELETED town.. I'm trying to make arrangement to move to NC, the Asheville area. Get out now.. I'm sure half of you will reply, good then, leave. Typical Binghamton mentality. Seriously, this area sucks more than a DELETED.

Guest Guest
Johnson City

1. A new Walgreens.

2. A new NBT bank

3. A new Sante Health Clinic

4. A new Wal-Mart

5. A new $4,000,000 medical building beside Wilson Hosptial.

6. A new multimillion dollar UHS parking faciltiy.

7. A new Gannett printing plant.

8. A new performance space and arts complex

9. A new Christmas Tree Shop and Petco.

10. A new medical building soon to be built beside Sante Health Clininc.

12. An old building demolsihed on Baldwin.

13. An old building about to be dempolished on Corliss.

14. Expansion at BAE.

15. A new pharmacy.

16. A new Factory Carprt Outlet.

It goes on and on..

Yes and all of these places you speak of will be paying their taxes to the county and then J.C. will get its small share. If anyplace should have saved the village it should have been the mall, but then again, the money goes to the county.

This same Johnson City you speak of is an area about 4 square miles and has a population of about 15,000 but yet they pay salaries to the school district of about 18 1/2 million dollars and about 6 million for fire, police, and village employees. Talk about bankrupting a village and putting the burden on an aging community that makes up the tax base. How long do you think that they will put up with double digit property tax increases every year?

Guest Guest
and yet they still flock to build there and avoid Binghamton.......

I hate to say this but the truth is nobody wants to build in binghamton as long as matt ryan is mayor!!! Most business people think he is a dynamite waiting to go off, he lies and cannot be trusted.

Archived