42 Holland Street drug sales

Guest Paul Kearsey

Guest Paul Kearsey

Anyone see the signs on Holland Street in the First Ward that say something about drugs being sold at 42 Holland Street? They also say something about the police knowing about it but not doing anything about it. Pretty pathetic that decent people have to resort to this stuff because the scum are ruining their neighborhood.

Guest Guest
Anyone see the signs on Holland Street in the First Ward that say something about drugs being sold at 42 Holland Street? They also say something about the police knowing about it but not doing anything about it. Pretty pathetic that decent people have to resort to this stuff because the scum are ruining their neighborhood.

Maybe the drub dealers themselves put the sign up for advertisment! :unsure:

Guest Guest

Yes, I see it since I take this street often to go home, lots of different vehicles go to that apartment building.......all hours. I hear the girl that lives there is a stripper too. I have heard that pot and cocaine are sold there but cant swear to it since it is hearsay. Do the police really know about it and not do anything? If so, how and why?

Guest Guest
Well, it's a Phelp's rental, so God only knows what's going on there. <_<

I totally agree. I know several people who live in that area that complain about that place and have been for years. I think the worst nightmare was when the Copp family lived there. I think that building should just be torn down.

Well, it's a Phelp's rental, so God only knows what's going on there. <_<
I rented a house from him... took 2 weeks to make it liveable. Must be a thing with all his houses cuz when I moved he sent a crew over to "clean it" They came in looked at the place and said what are we here for normally we spend a week cleaning after tennants. Had it rented in about 3 days thanks to the new carpet and paint. Jerks stole my kids hamster.

Guest B. Goetz

What I'm getting is that one or more residents put up signs trying to out drug dealers on the street. Is that right?

If so, I don't think it's pathetic at all. It's about time citizens started doing something to combat crime in their neighborhoods instead of just waiting for the cops to do it all.

It's this kind of initiative that will start a grassroots community collective mindset that we can do something about the increasing crime in Bing., especially since City Hall certainly isn't doing anything except letting it fester.

Two examples, just from today's news:

http://www.pressconnects.com/apps/pbcs.dll...NEWS01/80305010

http://www.pressconnects.com/apps/pbcs.dll...MMUN04/80305025

This is a daily occurence now. I see multiple stories every day of drug related crime.

Guest Guest

My mom lives on Hazel, just around the corner from Holland and she has told me on several occassions that there are people who will park their vehicle, leave it running and go "round the corner" for a second and then come back, hop into their cars and drive away. There's a house or two in that general area that this seems to happen a lot.

Guest Killer

KILL ALL DRUG DEALERS AND THERE WILL BE NONE!!!!!!! :angry:

Guest guestmom

About 15 years ago I used to live on Colfax - a block over from Holland. There were drug sales going on in a two family rental not far from my house. Sad, because it was a decent neighborhood at the time and the property was quite nice until one of Binghamton's famous slumlords bought it and rented to interesting tennants. Cars would stop by throughout the day and you'd see the driver or passenger go in to one of the apts then come right back out. Neighbors suspected what was going on there and would call the police. The police would come by and check it out but could not catch and arrest anyone. Wish I had thought of the signs to 'out' them - I'd have put one on my front lawn....unfortunately I probably would have received a ticket for violating some city ordinance! Murphy's Law......

Guest Guest

Here's an idea.

Take some video of the building (ideally with some activity) and upload it to WBNG and their "YouNewsTV" for them to play during the news.

Guest Guest
Do you think they would air it? :huh:

Well, if it were ME, I'd add some nice narration to explain what's going on.

I don't know if they could be sued by the property owner or not. That would probably prevent them from airing it.

Guest Guest

Drove by today and the signs are down. Time to put up some new ones. There were a few running cars parked outside the dump and a few people going in & out. The video thing is a nice idea. Wouldn't be that hard, you could park inconspicuously and shoot some pretty good footage without being noticed.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest guest

A wireless camera costs about $50 and would do the trick. All it would take is one or two neighbors to put the camera in one of thier windows. These cameras are very small (less than a inch wide and two inches long) and are very easy to conceal. Nobody would even know that they are being digitally recorded. Send the digital recording to Chris Lavola at the Binghamton Police Department. If BPD can't help then you can also send it to the Broome County Sheriffs' Special Investigations Task Force, The New York State Police Narcotics Squad and the Drug Enforcement Agency Regional Office in Syracuse. A video of people coming and going will not be enough for a conviction but it would open an investigation and be supporting evidence for a search warrant and wire tap.

Neighbors can always take back their neighborhood by working together. The City's Corporation Counsel will seek civil consequence against the landlord in the form of a nuisance complaint. The city by way of a civil court order can fine the property owner, cease the property and if its a business close it down. All the neighbors have to do is call the Mayors office and complain. Also, they can draft a letter, sign a petition, write letters to the editor, or even file the nuiscence complaint themselves.

Guest guest

You can also write letters to judges and the prosecutors and let them know how you feel. Write a letter to Gerry Mollen, Marty Smith, Bill Palella, Mary-Ann Lehman and tell them to throw the book at these people. Binghamton is viewed as being "easy on drug dealers" and downstaters know it. Our neighborhoods look like crap, our streets are getting more and more violent and things are just becoming more and more "acceptable". We can not tolerate this utter disrespect for our neighborhoods and families. If we ever had a "drug" related shooting 25 years ago the entire county would be up in arms and that would be the end of that. That's the quick fix. It won't last too much longer. We, as a nation, incarcerate more of our citizens than any other and we are running out of jails.

The problem is far more complicated than that however. The incredible "economy" that is created by drug activity is unbelievable and very difficult to compensate for. At the very top we are talking about very brilliant, well-funded "business" people who run a sophisticated organization that is difficult to penetrate. Even when law enforcement is successful the rewards are so overwhelming that is is only a matter of time before two, three, even five new large organizations appear. Some could argue that law enforcement "busts" actually cause expansion in the drug trade. Next in line we have dealers. There are all different levels and some of these people are too very smart. They are smart enough to want a piece of the American dream and they are not willing to work for minimum wage and be a martyr to the system, swept up in "survival" and never having anything to show for their hard labors.

Let's be very honest here; there is absolutely no such things as a drug "PUSHER". We have been and probably always will be a nation of drug addicts. From perscriptions drugs, alcohol, tobacco, cocaine in the early 20th century, opium in the 19th century, and so on... we are a nation of drug feigns! People want drugs and will seek them out at any cost and this creates a huge economy. The simple solution is to legalize drugs. Just admit defeat, like we did with prohibition, and give the people who "own" this country what they want and stop putting them in jail for it. But... that's too simple. The legalization of drugs would eliminate the "organized" crime economy but it would wipe out and even bigger economic system.

It's really all by design. It is a self perpetuating economic cycle: the government doesn't want to eliminate illegal drugs in this country. They impact on the attorneys (8 out of 10 of all criminal offenses are drug related), law enforcement personel, private jails, jail construction, all the federally funded "drug" programs, half of the coast gaurds budget and the list goes on and on.

If you don't want drugs in your community then take your country back and let your elected officials know that you want drugs legalized and economic stimulas packages for economically disinfranchaised people who are too intelligent to work for minimum wage. Chances are they didn't have the same opportunities that you and I did early in life. Like a very famous poet once concluded, "..instead of a war on drugs, let's have a war on poverty"! Let's get out of the middle east, let's get out of sticking our noise in every war on the planet, lets stop spending so much on bombs, and let's use all of those resources on fighting poverty. I'll bet two generations from know, if we eliminate poverty in this country, most people won't know what a lawyer is and nobody will want drugs no matter how legal and available.

That's my two cents!

Guest Guest

I noticed some "traffic" at that address again last night on my way home from work. I wonder if they ever saw the signs that were up, I only saw one.

Guest Guest
A wireless camera costs about $50 and would do the trick. All it would take is one or two neighbors to put the camera in one of thier windows. These cameras are very small (less than a inch wide and two inches long) and are very easy to conceal. Nobody would even know that they are being digitally recorded. Send the digital recording to Chris Lavola at the Binghamton Police Department. If BPD can't help then you can also send it to the Broome County Sheriffs' Special Investigations Task Force, The New York State Police Narcotics Squad and the Drug Enforcement Agency Regional Office in Syracuse. A video of people coming and going will not be enough for a conviction but it would open an investigation and be supporting evidence for a search warrant and wire tap.

Neighbors can always take back their neighborhood by working together. The City's Corporation Counsel will seek civil consequence against the landlord in the form of a nuisance complaint. The city by way of a civil court order can fine the property owner, cease the property and if its a business close it down. All the neighbors have to do is call the Mayors office and complain. Also, they can draft a letter, sign a petition, write letters to the editor, or even file the nuiscence complaint themselves.

Absolutely do NOT do what this moron is suggesting. Do NOT put the camera in your window. If one of the dealers sees the video they could figure out whose house it was in.

Don't bother notifying the judges. If it isn't happening in their neighborhood, then it isn't happening.

Archived