Why I want to leave Binghamton

Guest guest

Guest guest

Ok, it's a close drive to the city. There are nice parks. But...The weather is the worst! The economy stinks. It's dangerously polluted. There is nothing to do! The schools are so-so. And, it's not even safe anymore! Do you agree???

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Guest
Ok, it's a close drive to the city. There are nice parks. But...The weather is the worst! The economy stinks. It's dangerously polluted. There is nothing to do! The schools are so-so. And, it's not even safe anymore! Do you agree???

The economy does stink....there is horrible income stagnation, ever rising taxes, an increasingly aging and poorer population, a serious brain drain, crumbling infrastructure, increasing crime and blight, real estate appreciation that drastically lags behind the rest of the country, and let's not forget the incompetent, corrupt and philosophically bankrupt politicians and community leaders.

Those are some of the reasons why I left.

Yep.....sure do agree.

Guest Guest

I agree the place sucks, I would move to NC.. Mild winters, low taxes, jobs, house appreciation, friendly people, beautiful landscapes.... Basically everything Binghamton is void of..

Totally disagree. This is a wonderful area and you just have to have faith that soon that the area will become very good again. This area is a lot better than many other areas of the country. Just hang in there and things will get better.

if you hate it so much why are you still here? Just get up and leave. No one wants you here anyway!!

This area has affordable housing, low living costs etc. I work for a Co. out of NC and have NYS etc for sales territory. Other areas, Sun Belt etc, have high costs of living, housing is high as well.

A home in this area, Broome Co., vs Sun belt is 10's of thousands less.

Traffic here, less

Taxes- we are proud to say #1 in the country.

Largets employer- NYS Government.

2nd- AIG

3rd- Service industry-Wal mart, Wegmans, etc.

School system #1

School safety #1

Weather- it is what it is.

All in all still love this area.

Guest Guest
Totally disagree. This is a wonderful area and you just have to have faith that soon that the area will become very good again. This area is a lot better than many other areas of the country. Just hang in there and things will get better.

According to the Federal Reserve Bank of New York, Binghamton has spent more time in recession than any other New York metropolitan area since 1975.

There hasn't been a single, new private construction project from foundation to completion in downtown Binghamton since 1980.

Binghamton has lost over $200 million in total assessed property value in the last 10 years.

Binghamton's population has dropped by over 25% since 1970.

So go ahead....keep the faith...generations have come and gone while you continue to tilt at windmills.

According to the Federal Reserve Bank of New York, Binghamton has spent more time in recession than any other New York metropolitan area since 1975.

There hasn't been a single, new private construction project from foundation to completion in downtown Binghamton since 1980.

Binghamton has lost over $200 million in total assessed property value in the last 10 years.

Binghamton's population has dropped by over 25% since 1970.

So go ahead....keep the faith...generations have come and gone while you continue to tilt at windmills.

Sounds like you are either unemployed, a complete whiner, or drink way too much.

I say add to the 25% who have moved and make it 26%. MOVE!!! The world needs intelligent people like you.

Windmills??? Whaaaaaaat the heck are you talking about about ?

Guest fooznoz

I'm doing good in this area.

I'm sure there are better places,just as I'm sure there are worse places.

If you are not happy here....please leave!

Guest Guest
I'm doing good in this area.

I'm sure there are better places,just as I'm sure there are worse places.

If you are not happy here....please leave!

Is that really wise to tell productive people who love their hometown and who are concerned about the reality of the area's 30 year downward trend to leave?

20,000 or more have done just that. Take a look at the type of people leaving, and the type of people replacing them.

As more and more take your advice and "leave"....less and less people remain to pay the highest taxes in the nation. It leaves less and less people to build and contribute to the tax base, create jobs, pay for schools and infrastructure, etc.

The fact of the matter is...while you or I may be "doing good"....there are less and less of us able to say that in this community.....and that's not good....the difference is, unlike you, I'm not too myopic and self-absorbed to realize it.

Guest SFDVGSD

Please state which areas of the country are worse off than Binghamton. Support your statement with citable facts.

Guest Rociuante
[/size]

Sounds like you are either unemployed, a complete whiner, or drink way too much.

I say add to the 25% who have moved and make it 26%. MOVE!!! The world needs intelligent people like you.

Windmills??? Whaaaaaaat the heck are you talking about about ?

He's quoting "Don Quixote" moron.....which fits Binghamton,New York to a tee.. moron..jeez..and you won't get twenty six percent from twenty five percent.. if he leaves Binghamton..and for the whining..unemployed and drinking remark..that's pretty much everybody in Broome County nitwit.

Holy cow ..who the heck raised you..now get back to your job.. packing chips or selling car insurance to bottom feeders or what ever your DELETED up job is.

Guest Guest

Why is left Binghamton:

reason #1

27181210f0b0b892967c1c6fc79bb3f7b9951e1760ad9328e1134aa8a16cee57972a3601.jpg

Lea Webb, Mary Clark (in back) and Matt Ryan

reason #2:

7553983102666f17c6cc29a9bb60f9a90c40e2aecf7f6c784d59063bf9f78b7c72c9da65.jpg

reason #3:

6745239783eeb86e1dccadb7dfc9fb4fd2ffb0a71e9994f43430972ec7680b4c778e5820.jpg

garbage, huh, I guess given #1 and #2, # 3 was redundant...

He's quoting "Don Quixote" moron.....which fits Binghamton,New York to a tee.. moron..jeez..and you won't get twenty six percent from twenty five percent.. if he leaves Binghamton..and for the whining..unemployed and drinking remark..that's pretty much everybody in Broome County nitwit.

Holy cow ..who the heck raised you..now get back to your job.. packing chips or selling car insurance to bottom feeders or what ever your f*ck up job is.

you'd make 26.1% Gee walley sounds like you are mad. Anger issues today???? Hey, you own car, insurance? LMAO. Eat chips??? with your beer??? LOL.

Your rant is a fine example of your lack of class!!!!!

Please state which areas of the country are worse off than Binghamton. Support your statement with citable facts.

We moved here from SE Michigan, north of the Detroit area. I could fill this server with citable facts, but if you read anything but the local paper, you'll find the details.

Guest Guest
We moved here from SE Michigan, north of the Detroit area. I could fill this server with citable facts, but if you read anything but the local paper, you'll find the details.

We'd be in the same situation as Detroit if a major employer, (such as IBM) left the area.

It was said somewhere that in Detroit you can buy whole blocks of houses.

I've lived here my whole life and I've visited many other places.

Honestly, I think our biggest problem is our attitudes.

Almost everyone here is cranky and pessimistic.

No one smiles and says "hello".

THAT is the only reason I'd ever want to move away from here.

Archived