Why I want to leave Binghamton

Guest guest

Yeah...that's it...it not's poor public policy decisions and incompetent corrupt politicians....nope...the real problem is too many people thinking incorrect thoughts.

Boy, that's really sticking with you isn't it? Do you really think it's better to be miserable and cranky because of those things? Is that how things change and get fixed? I never said that things that you mentioned shouldn't be changed.

I simply stated that my problem with this area is that there are a lot of cranky people here and you turn it into some political brouhaha. Would it kill people in this area to lighten up a bit, say hello to someone you pass on the street or in a parking lot?

Are we supposed wait until things are perfect before we're allowed to be happy and friendly people?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Guest
Is that really wise to tell productive people who love their hometown and who are concerned about the reality of the area's 30 year downward trend to leave?

20,000 or more have done just that. Take a look at the type of people leaving, and the type of people replacing them.

As more and more take your advice and "leave"....less and less people remain to pay the highest taxes in the nation. It leaves less and less people to build and contribute to the tax base, create jobs, pay for schools and infrastructure, etc.

The fact of the matter is...while you or I may be "doing good"....there are less and less of us able to say that in this community.....and that's not good....the difference is, unlike you, I'm not too myopic and self-absorbed to realize it.

YOU my friend, have said it well. Those myopic chains get 'em every time.......

Guest guest
Someone asked the question you fucktard :angry: So I gave them an answer you fuckin idiot :angry:

From which rundown section of which city you posted did you get kicked out of before you moved to the Binghamton area? I can tell by your advanced language skills you were highly trained somewhere.

Guest Guest

hmmm. I'm the original poster. Why don't I get out? Cuz, I'm stuck here...Job wise. But, I hope my kids leave, and anyone who has a chance to really explore and go elsewhere, where the weather and economy are better...GO! Good luck!

Boy, that's really sticking with you isn't it? Do you really think it's better to be miserable and cranky because of those things? Is that how things change and get fixed? I never said that things that you mentioned shouldn't be changed.

I simply stated that my problem with this area is that there are a lot of cranky people here and you turn it into some political brouhaha. Would it kill people in this area to lighten up a bit, say hello to someone you pass on the street or in a parking lot?

Are we supposed wait until things are perfect before we're allowed to be happy and friendly people?

I agree. If your not happy with your life, change it. If you can't change it, accept it. either way - shut the DELETED up.

Guest Guest

Wow, you guys are intense. I was just trying to point out that it is probably a good idea to leave this area, if you can. Of course there is no perfection, but, there are areas with more opportunity and a better environment. If you have other opportunities...by all means follow them! This is not to say, that there are people living here who enjoy the area. Good for them! But, IMO, it would be better for young folks to get out.

Guest Guest

I want to leave, i'm working on it. The weather will never get better, but the gov't needs to get something done or else there will be no jobs. You can't tax the people and business' of the state to death. What is going on here. Can someone actually give a good answer to why taxes are so high here? That's ny's main problem.

Guest guest
hmmm. I'm the original poster. Why don't I get out? Cuz, I'm stuck here...Job wise. But, I hope my kids leave, and anyone who has a chance to really explore and go elsewhere, where the weather and economy are better...GO! Good luck!

I agree with you except no young people do stay unless they can't get through college or unless they went to college to be a government worker of some sort (teacher social worker). The only reason I've stayed so long is my job and for the last 20 years I've been slowly putting my move in place. I'll also admit it's people like me that are slowly ruining this area by giving up on it as I know at least 2 of the apartment buildings I've sold in the last 2 years were sold to people from down state.I don't think this area is bad because there isn't enough to do here,that's not why the young leave,they leave because there is no real future here for a family. This is solely because there are no jobs for the college educated and the jobs available for the not so educated are poor.

Guest Guest
Yeah...that's it...we have the highest taxes in the nation, income stagnation, increased poverty, crime, and blight and a crumbling infrastructure....not because of poor public policy and incompetent corrupt, self-serving politicians.....no...it's because we have people thinking incorrect thoughts.

What kind of moron are you?

HIGHEST TAXES IN THE NATION??? I know a retired guy from New Jersey and his property taxes in Princeton New Jersey are 4 times what they are in Binghamton!!!

Well, it's sad.....many good people leave to find another life, and those who stay here bitch and complain and tell those leaving "don't let the door whack ya on the a## on the way out".

We own a house in Broome County, and will continue to do so, but are moving to Fairfax County, VA.

To answer an earlier poster, what do I find elsewhere that is not here?

Really good restaurants....lots of them. Too many to count.

Friendly people..... grocery store clerks and neighbors greet you with a smile and a nod. Happy people.

Speaking of Grocery Stores.....no comparison. A big difference in available items.

Arts and entertainment? A mind-boggling selection, and same goes with special interest clubs and associations.

Sure, housing down here is more expensive. At least you have a really great chance of your property increasing in value.

Why is that the taxes on my $139,000 home in Binghamton has higher taxes than a $430,000 home in Virginia?

A REALLY great job market. If you're good and dedicated, name your price

All I have seen in testing the waters here is consolidated Police, Fire, Schools, and EMS services. Top notch services. A good business environment. Outside of the urban core, nobody is hanging out collecting welfare checks. People work, smile, and are positive. No dirtbags hanging around on the street corners. Not tolerated or accepted. Jobs are plentiful....work hard or go away.

Don't get me wrong....growing up in Broome County is the 60's was wonderful. A great place to have lived back then. It has gone to $h1t. Downtown Binghamton is horrible, and Endicott and Johnson City have become slums. It is sad. It is a big change from 30 years ago. I remember the Binghamton area in the 60's and 70's.....alive and vibrant. I don't see that now.

To those of you who want to deride those of us who are making a move? Your loss. We look on BCVOICE because we care about the area, and mourn it's downfall.

Do I have a right to post on this board after we are gone? You betcha! We still own property in Broome County, and it is our right to post anything we want on a public forum, as do you. Having grown up here, I am completely comfortable with giving you my opinion. Wake up and smell the coffee.

Make snide comments at will.....you should be pretty good at it by now. If things do not change drastically, Broome County is in a world of hurt.

Well, it's sad.....many good people leave to find another life, and those who stay here bitch and complain and tell those leaving "don't let the door whack ya on the a## on the way out".

We own a house in Broome County, and will continue to do so, but are moving to Fairfax County, VA.

To answer an earlier poster, what do I find elsewhere that is not here?

Really good restaurants....lots of them. Too many to count.

Friendly people..... grocery store clerks and neighbors greet you with a smile and a nod. Happy people.

Speaking of Grocery Stores.....no comparison. A big difference in available items.

Arts and entertainment? A mind-boggling selection, and same goes with special interest clubs and associations.

Sure, housing down here is more expensive. At least you have a really great chance of your property increasing in value.

Why is that the taxes on my $139,000 home in Binghamton has higher taxes than a $430,000 home in Virginia?

A REALLY great job market. If you're good and dedicated, name your price

All I have seen in testing the waters here is consolidated Police, Fire, Schools, and EMS services. Top notch services. A good business environment. Outside of the urban core, nobody is hanging out collecting welfare checks. People work, smile, and are positive. No dirtbags hanging around on the street corners. Not tolerated or accepted. Jobs are plentiful....work hard or go away.

Don't get me wrong....growing up in Broome County is the 60's was wonderful. A great place to have lived back then. It has gone to $h1t. Downtown Binghamton is horrible, and Endicott and Johnson City have become slums. It is sad. It is a big change from 30 years ago. I remember the Binghamton area in the 60's and 70's.....alive and vibrant. I don't see that now.

To those of you who want to deride those of us who are making a move? Your loss. We look on BCVOICE because we care about the area, and mourn it's downfall.

Do I have a right to post on this board after we are gone? You betcha! We still own property in Broome County, and it is our right to post anything we want on a public forum, as do you. Having grown up here, I am completely comfortable with giving you my opinion. Wake up and smell the coffee.

Make snide comments at will.....you should be pretty good at it by now. If things do not change drastically, Broome County is in a world of hurt.

I currently work in Alexandria, VA. You are right in the aspect that this area has a TON to offer, but be prepared to sit in traffic for long periods. My 15 mile commute on some days has taken me almost 2 hours. They're building like gangbusters around here but are doing nothing with the roads, so traffic is bottlenecked everywhere, all the time. I wish you the best of luck.

Guest guest
HIGHEST TAXES IN THE NATION??? I know a retired guy from New Jersey and his property taxes in Princeton New Jersey are 4 times what they are in Binghamton!!!

Again,there are worse places than Binghamton. There are places with higher taxes,higher energy costs and worse weather,plus our crime rate isn't even close to being near the top. However, we are right near the top on all of these categories and keep moving up. When you couple that with the things that make it livable,despite those drawbacks, like job availability,infrastructure and entertainment you'll see why we're loosing ground. So with all these drawbacks who would be drawn to our area? Well, people with whom those things have little meaning to. The people that need social services,because that is one area we are rated highly.They also aren't bothered by return on a housing investment or taxes in general and energy costs because they don't pay them.This is our only growing employment sector in Broome government and non profits.

Guest Guest

......and his NJ property is probably worth 4 times what your Binghamton property is worth.

Guest guest
......and his NJ property is probably worth 4 times what your Binghamton property is worth.

Your probably correct. There aren't many areas of the country that are taxed higher on a tax dollar per house value ratio. Of course school taxes here are the biggest tax that you pay on your home and it's the same in New Jersey because they have the same exact system there.

Guest Guest-Wegmansfan

Feel free to move to VA or NC or wherever you want....you will NOT find a better grocery store than Wegmans. Believe me, I have family in both states and they talk about how bad the grocery stores are down there...they miss Wegmans and stop in for a visit whenever they are up here. (Well, there is a Wegmans in VA, you better just hope it's near you, because you'll be desperate for a clean well stocked store after a week living down there!)

Feel free to move to VA or NC or wherever you want....you will NOT find a better grocery store than Wegmans. Believe me, I have family in both states and they talk about how bad the grocery stores are down there...they miss Wegmans and stop in for a visit whenever they are up here. (Well, there is a Wegmans in VA, you better just hope it's near you, because you'll be desperate for a clean well stocked store after a week living down there!)

I would really miss Wegman's too if I left. Most people who shop there frequent it at least once a week!

Guest Guest

I wouldn't care. I would be out doing things in the nice weather instead of being stuck with cabin fever and getting excited about grocery shopping. I think I could handle it...

Archived