Why I want to leave Binghamton

Guest guest

We'd be in the same situation as Detroit if a major employer, (such as IBM) left the area.

It was said somewhere that in Detroit you can buy whole blocks of houses.

You can't base your economy on a single employer to sustain it. This is what has happened in MI on numerous occasions, and what has happened here as well. But the difference is that here, as far as I can see, all other industries are not tied to that single employer, which is the case in Michigan.

In detroit you can buy whole neighborhoods for the price of a decent house here. But I'd rather live in a shack here then anywhere in the Detroit metro area.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've lived here my whole life and I've visited many other places.

Honestly, I think our biggest problem is our attitudes.

Almost everyone here is cranky and pessimistic.

No one smiles and says "hello".

THAT is the only reason I'd ever want to move away from here.

If all these cranky people who complain leave the area it would be a much better place to live.

Guest Guest

Yeah...that's it...we have the highest taxes in the nation, income stagnation, increased poverty, crime, and blight and a crumbling infrastructure....not because of poor public policy and incompetent corrupt, self-serving politicians.....no...it's because we have people thinking incorrect thoughts.

What kind of moron are you?

Guest BC Voice of Reason

Laredo, TX - Lowest percentage of bachelor degrees per capita, large illegal alien population

Gary, IN - 6th most dangerous city in US, high gang crime rate

Flint, MI - 7th most dangerous city in US, high gang crime rate

Camden, NJ - 2nd most dangerous city in US, high gang crime rate

Detroit, MI - 1st most dangerous city in US, highest murder rate, high gang crime rate, housing market down 10% since last year

Buffalo, NY - High crime, and if you think our winters are bad... They got over a foot of snow this past weekend alone.

If the third reason on your list for Binghamton is a pile of cardboard then I guess you haven't been to these other cities.

Guest Guest
Laredo, TX - Lowest percentage of bachelor degrees per capita, large illegal alien population

Detroit, MI - 1st most dangerous city in US, highest murder rate, high gang crime rate, housing market down 10% since last year

Buffalo, NY - High crime, and if you think our winters are bad... They got over a foot of snow this past weekend alone.

If the third reason on your list for Binghamton is a pile of cardboard then I guess you haven't been to these other cities.

Yeah...let's all take comfort in the fact that we're well on our way to joining these cities.

Go ahead moron, celebrate that we haven't yet become Gary, Indiana.

Enjoy your McSlum.

Guest BC Voice of Reason
Yeah...let's all take comfort in the fact that we're well on our way to joining these cities.

Go ahead moron, celebrate that we haven't yet become Gary, Indiana.

Enjoy your McSlum.

Enjoy whatever gold-paved Shangri-La you live in or are moving to, douche.

Yeah...that's it...we have the highest taxes in the nation, income stagnation, increased poverty, crime, and blight and a crumbling infrastructure....not because of poor public policy and incompetent corrupt, self-serving politicians.....no...it's because we have people thinking incorrect thoughts.

What kind of moron are you?

Apparently I'm a happy moron :)

Listen, do you really think that we are the only place in the country with these problems?

No way! You will find this same kind of crap no matter where you go, I just prefer not to CONSTANTLY complain and whine about it. I have found ways to be happy in this area and I'm a moron.

If a moron can do it, why can't you?

Guest Guest
Ok, it's a close drive to the city. There are nice parks. But...The weather is the worst! The economy stinks. It's dangerously polluted. There is nothing to do! The schools are so-so. And, it's not even safe anymore! Do you agree???

I agree!!!!! Then only thing to do here is shop at mid-level stores! The government talks about how great it is here. But until you go to a really growing area you'll never see this place is dead. The ones trying to improve just steal from us and the government with their empty promises.

Guest Guest

bloods and crips in this are are high school or middle school kids just hanging out

Hells Angels are more to be worried about being in our area

Guest Guest
bloods and crips in this are are high school or middle school kids just hanging out

Hells Angels are more to be worried about being in our area

Lol...not for like 20 years. If they were still here we wouldn't have the bloods and crips.

AMEN!! I agree 100%. Every place we have visited people are always helpful and nice and then we come back to such negativity.

Guest Guest
Apparently I'm a happy moron :)

Listen, do you really think that we are the only place in the country with these problems?

No way! You will find this same kind of crap no matter where you go, I just prefer not to CONSTANTLY complain and whine about it. I have found ways to be happy in this area and I'm a moron.

If a moron can do it, why can't you?

I don't live in other areas of the country. I live in this community and refuse to put my head in the sand. I want to improve my hometown and in order to do so, work to point out repeated attempts at failed public policies. Why do you happy idiots resent it when others who like it here just as much as you do, refuse to put on rose colored glasses and be fat, dumb and happy and instead work to point out failures in order to correct them?

The fact of the matter is....not every other area of the country can claim to have one of the highest combined tax burdens in the country.....not every area of the country can claim the dubious distinction of spending more time in recession than any other NY State Metropolitan area.

Guest guest

And your point is that the Binghamton area is still better than these places? Well, gosh darn it you're right! Guess what when I decide to move from this area I probably will try and move to a better area.While there are worse areas than this there are many,many more(most) that are far better.As for the people that say don't let the door hit me in the backside, I say don't worry there will be someone to replace me when I leave.There always is. The problem you'll have is there is a large possibility that they won't be paying to live here...you'll be paying to have them live here. And paying and paying and paying.

Guest Guest

I've seen several complaints in this and other Binghamton is hopeless threads that there's nothing to do here. And I'd like to hear from smoe of those people what it is that there is to do elsewhere that we don't have here. Cause I think for the size of this community, we have alot of stuff going on. What are we missing?

Guest Guest
Ok, it's a close drive to the city. There are nice parks. But...The weather is the worst! The economy stinks. It's dangerously polluted. There is nothing to do! The schools are so-so. And, it's not even safe anymore! Do you agree???

Did you leave yet?

What are you waiting for?

Guest Guest
I've seen several complaints in this and other Binghamton is hopeless threads that there's nothing to do here. And I'd like to hear from smoe of those people what it is that there is to do elsewhere that we don't have here. Cause I think for the size of this community, we have alot of stuff going on. What are we missing?

Isn't it crystal clear what we are mising?

Not enough high paid local politicians.

Not enough high paid staff for the pols.

Not enough high paid bureaucrats.

Not enough "Yoof Directors".

Not enough Communication Directors.

Not enough school districts.

Not nearly enough school administrators.

Not enough Dollar Stores.

Not enough potholes.

And last but not least ... no where near enough parades and fireworks!

Yeah...these guys sound like middle school kids just hanging out. :huh:

Three charged in gang-related shooting, robbery

By Debbie Swartz

Press & Sun-Bulletin

Posted Sunday March 9, 2008

JOHNSON CITY -- A gang-related incident involving three people led to a shooting, according to Johnson City police.

Three men robbed a man of a gun, money, a cell phone and a leather jacket Wednesday, and a defendant who suffered a gunshot would to his arm was found the following day at Binghamton General Hospital, police said.

The incident occurred because of the individuals' affiliation with the Blood and Crips street gangs, police said. The gunshot wound occurred while the three robbery defendants inspected the 25-caliber semiautomatic they had stolen, police said. The gun -- which had a defaced serial number -- was recovered from a lock box in a Binghamton apartment, police said.

William T. Curry, 20, Abdul Morrison, 20, and Tamel R. Bowman, 18, were each charged with one felony count of second-degree robbery, police said. Morrison also was charged with one felony count of third-degree criminal possession of a weapon, police said. Curry and Bowman are from Binghamton and Morrison is from Johnson City. The identities of the robbery victim and shooting victim were not released.

All three defendants were arraigned in Village of Johnson City Court and sent to the Broome County Jail pending county court action. The investigation is ongoing, police said, and further arrests are pending.

During the investigation, the Johnson City Police Department was assisted by the Johnson City Fire Department and Public Works Department and City of Binghamton Police Bureau.

http://www.pressconnects.com/apps/pbcs.dll...D=2008803090331

Guest Guest

Too bad we do not have the old databse and its "Gallery of Rogues" thread we coud have posted photos of all the adminstration:

Why I left Binghamton:

reason #1

27181210f0b0b892967c1c6fc79bb3f7b9951e1760ad9328e1134aa8a16cee57972a3601.jpg

Lea Webb, Mary Clark (in back) and Matt Ryan

reason #2:

7553983102666f17c6cc29a9bb60f9a90c40e2aecf7f6c784d59063bf9f78b7c72c9da65.jpg

reason #3:

6745239783eeb86e1dccadb7dfc9fb4fd2ffb0a71e9994f43430972ec7680b4c778e5820.jpg

garbage, huh, I guess given #1 and #2, # 3 was redundant...

Is that really wise to tell productive people who love their hometown and who are concerned about the reality of the area's 30 year downward trend to leave?

20,000 or more have done just that. Take a look at the type of people leaving, and the type of people replacing them.

As more and more take your advice and "leave"....less and less people remain to pay the highest taxes in the nation. It leaves less and less people to build and contribute to the tax base, create jobs, pay for schools and infrastructure, etc.

The fact of the matter is...while you or I may be "doing good"....there are less and less of us able to say that in this community.....and that's not good....the difference is, unlike you, I'm not too myopic and self-absorbed to realize it.

Considering the name of this thread is "Why I Want To Leave Binghamton", why wouldn't someone say "leave then"...??? <_<

Please state which areas of the country are worse off than Binghamton. Support your statement with citable facts.

Buffalo, very high per capita crime rate (especially with a population over 300K), voted 2nd poorest city in nation (following Detroit), lake effect snow in the winter along with quickly developing storms in the summer, unhappy people (much like Binghamton :blink: ), and many foreclosures :blink:

Guest Guest
I want to leave to get away from all the whiney DELETED that don't see their own negativity as part of the problem holding us back.

Yeah...that's it...it not's poor public policy decisions and incompetent corrupt politicians....nope...the real problem is too many people thinking incorrect thoughts.

Guest guest
Buffalo, very high per capita crime rate (especially with a population over 300K), voted 2nd poorest city in nation (following Detroit), lake effect snow in the winter along with quickly developing storms in the summer, unhappy people (much like Binghamton :blink: ), and many foreclosures :blink:

Why spend your time trying to find a place with lesser conditions than Binghamton? Does it make you feel more adequate?Do you do the same thing with how you make your living? Your child's school? Probably. When I leave this area it isn't going to be for a area that has more crime,worse taxes and less opportunities to make a living. I don't want to live in the worst area I want to live in a better one and if the one I move to gets worse or my circumstances improve I'll make a move up again. That's the way people do it, make a move to a better job or place don't compare yourself to the worse to make your circumstances look more palatable.

Archived