WAAL CHANGES?

Guest Guest

Are you serious?

True Oldies Channel, a format focusing on the years 1958 to 1964. The programming is being offered primarily to stations on the AM band, where music has been dying off for decades because of the far better sound quality on FM. But the great hits of the early rock era were recorded in monaural sound, for which AM radio should suffice.

Doesn't interest me much.

Guest Guest

The True Oldies Channel is a syndicated radio programming stream, hosted by legendary American radio personality Scott Shannon. Distributed by ABC Radio Networks (through Citadel Broadcasting) via satellite, the service plays an oldies format comprising music from the 1950s to the 1970s.

The service currently has 28 affiliate stations across the United States. The service is available 24 hours a day, although member stations generally break away from the program feed at some points during the day to air some local programming.

The True Oldies format is experiencing significant growth in exposure following cost-cutting measures across ABC's payroll. Lower performing stations are being switched over to True Oldies, often with Imus in the Morning as the morning jock.

Guest Guest

Sorry, I found my info on a different link.

Well, I would actually like this, but...think it's pretty sucky to dump all the people that work there

Wow, first I've heard of this.

What will happen to the morning crew.....

Steve , Wally , & Big Mouth Kathy ??? She's been there forever.

Is there a set time for this big change ?

Guest Guest
Sorry, I found my info on a different link.

Well, I would actually like this, but...think it's pretty sucky to dump all the people that work there

Wow, first I've heard of this.

What will happen to the morning crew.....

Steve , Wally , & Big Mouth Kathy ??? She's been there forever.

Is there a set time for this big change ?

I assume that the reason they would do this, to drop payroll. The morning show is the weakest in the area. They should be the first to go, then everyone else. The station is not a favorite of the area anymore. They would be smart to do this. We need an oldies station badly. The last time we had one was Oldies 104.

What about Cool 100?

And, I'm sorry, but I find the idea that companies would be smart to fire all or most of their employees to be a major problem in this country...in this case, put on an automated show...in others, send the jobs to India/overseas.

Meanwhile, how many hundreds of thousands of people lose their jobs because shareholders complain?

Guest Guest
What about Cool 100?

And, I'm sorry, but I find the idea that companies would be smart to fire all or most of their employees to be a major problem in this country...in this case, put on an automated show...in others, send the jobs to India/overseas.

Meanwhile, how many hundreds of thousands of people lose their jobs because shareholders complain?

Cool 100? Have you ever listened? WE NEED AN OLDIES STATION!!

Guest Guest
Cool 100? Have you ever listened? WE NEED AN OLDIES STATION!!
\

I agree. It would be great to have a real oldies station. Cool 100? Does anybody know how they do in the ratings? They can't be good. I have listened and I have turned it off very fast.

Guest Guest
Coming before the end of the month.

Doubtfully. They already started promoting their Classic Rock A-Z which starts in early April. They have sponsors tied into it, they won't just hand the sponsor money back. True Oldies may be coming, I don't know (and don't really care), but not before the end of the month. I have yet to meet anyone in radio who would turn away money.

Guest Guest

Eventually all radio stations will be automated, it is the wave of the future. Just like automated auto factories. The radio business isn't so great... it is kind of like the newspaper business.

Guest Guest

I've listened somewhat...actually, the signal never comes in good enough, but I thought the music was decent.

I've listened on the weekends and it's pretty good, kind of goofy during the week.

Not sure where the playlists come from.

If you pay attenetion, every 3 or 4 years all the stations seem to change their Format. That is unless your extablished as a "certain" type of Format Station (WHWK+COUNTRY -->I hate country)

Give me some Merle or Pearl and I'm happy.

Guest Guest
Is ABC's "True Oldies" coming soon?

Yes, but not to WAAL. Here's the scoop from an inside source:

"Wild is moving down the dial to the 99.1 frequency. Oldies is returning to 104.1 with the call letters WYOS being revived after a short simulcast of Wild on 104.1 and 99.1."

If you pay attenetion, every 3 or 4 years all the stations seem to change their Format. That is unless your extablished as a "certain" type of Format Station (WHWK+COUNTRY -->I hate country)

Give me some Merle or Pearl and I'm happy.

Myself, I love the "Oldies" Elvis, Souhern Gospel & some early Blues. My other favorite format of radio that they do NOT have here is full time "CLASSIC COUNTRY" What WHWK plays tody is what the majority of these radio programmers like to refer to as "MODERN" or"PROGRESSIVE" Country. Sadly, WHWK calls what they play as REAL Country Music, & they ignore the giants of Country Music that made the business. They claim that Traditional Country Music doesn't sell. If that is so, why does the Opry sell out week after week, show after show. You NEVER hear George Jones, Johnny Cash, Conway, Hank Williams, this list goes on & on.

A full time Classic Country station could keep the traditional Country music alive. For a VERY brief time years ago, one of our local stations tried all oldies of Country Muic. It wasn't on DM, but it just wasn't pushed right. But, thats another story. Being played on FM, along with the right push, could really put a Classic Country station up to or near the Top. Just an opinion .

Could be interesting if WAAL goes OLDIES. We shall see. There is one format that no station would DARE touch around here, & thats the "FREE FM" Talk format with a music bit here & there. The Talk shows on Free FM is more in the style of Opie & Anthony, Tom Leikis, Bubba The Love Sponge, & of course Howard Stern. This Binghamton isn't now, has never been, or will never be ready for. The talk formats get racy at time, & of an "Adult" nature. Nighttime finds no topic off limits. Just name it

Don't give up Keep The Faith

Guest Guest

"Wild is moving down the dial to the 99.1 frequency. Oldies is returning to 104.1 with the call letters WYOS being revived after a short simulcast of Wild on 104.1 and 99.1."

Well, THIS sucks...I'd consider sticking w/ the oldies on 99.1, because it's got such a strong signal, but will NOT listen to that crap Wild 104.

Guest silentone

no one beileves you you need sources and who did you talk to if you have proof we need names and claims of truth otherwise you are nothing but crapolia in peoples view

Archived