First Friday Let Down

Guest Leslie

Guest Leslie

How disappointing it was to go to downtown Binghamton for First Friday inly to be shuned by the personel of a Once prominent dance club...

Our evening started at Uncle Tony's listening to and truly enjoying a duet band by the name of "Soulmate". The sound was awesome, the service was great! It felt so good to be out after a long cold winter...

After the band ended at around 10:00 pm, we decidied to check out the club up the street, we were told they had great dance music and that it was like going back to the 1980's. We couldn't wait.

We get to the establishment called "Flashbacks" only to find the door man reading the newspaper waiting for arrivals. I thought to myself, oh my, I hope this isn't a sign of how boring it is in this place with the door man reading the newspaper. Do I have to pay to get in?

We made our way to the bar...the place was empty. The bartender slowly made his way to get our drink orders (reluctantly I might add). We asked, "How can we request a song to be played?"...I get in response a gesture of a hand pointing across the room..what does that mean, I asked?, Ya gotta go ask him.....huh? who? That guy..grumble grumble grumble...

To make a very long story short I was disappointed and embarrassed by taking my friens to a place I thought had more class than this place does...what has happenend? Who owns that place anyway?

Let me mention breifly, Boca Joes was a mess, spills on the bar, garbage strewn here and there...it was a dump. Where was the bartender you may ask? No he wasn't busy, there were no customers...he was down at the other end of the bar talking to his girlsfriends about who likes him and who doesn't.....yikes! Where is his pride inkeeping a clean bar?!

Their prices are way too high for a cocktail to want to stay there for any amount of time...

Where is the

Guest guest
How disappointing it was to go to downtown Binghamton for First Friday inly to be shuned by the personel of a Once prominent dance club...

Our evening started at Uncle Tony's listening to and truly enjoying a duet band by the name of "Soulmate". The sound was awesome, the service was great! It felt so good to be out after a long cold winter...

After the band ended at around 10:00 pm, we decidied to check out the club up the street, we were told they had great dance music and that it was like going back to the 1980's. We couldn't wait.

We get to the establishment called "Flashbacks" only to find the door man reading the newspaper waiting for arrivals. I thought to myself, oh my, I hope this isn't a sign of how boring it is in this place with the door man reading the newspaper. Do I have to pay to get in?

We made our way to the bar...the place was empty. The bartender slowly made his way to get our drink orders (reluctantly I might add). We asked, "How can we request a song to be played?"...I get in response a gesture of a hand pointing across the room..what does that mean, I asked?, Ya gotta go ask him.....huh? who? That guy..grumble grumble grumble...

To make a very long story short I was disappointed and embarrassed by taking my friens to a place I thought had more class than this place does...what has happenend? Who owns that place anyway?

Let me mention breifly, Boca Joes was a mess, spills on the bar, garbage strewn here and there...it was a dump. Where was the bartender you may ask? No he wasn't busy, there were no customers...he was down at the other end of the bar talking to his girlsfriends about who likes him and who doesn't.....yikes! Where is his pride inkeeping a clean bar?!

Their prices are way too high for a cocktail to want to stay there for any amount of time...

Where is the

Tony's Troll alert!!!!

Guest Loyal customer

Where is the

If this is the same lady I think it is, I was sitting at the bar at Boca Joe's at the SAME time as you, and watched you bitch and moan to the bartender and then the manager about one or two possibly half inch long pieces of paper on the bar, which were wrappers from straws that customers threw on the bar, repeatedly asking the bartender and manager if they knew who you were, and then not so gracefully exiting in a huff.

Judging by that performance, and the way that I have been treated and seen others treated by the staff at both bars in the past (mainly with grace) I can't help but assume you came in with the same attitude you left with, one of entitlement, putting on the facade of class while completely lacking that characteristic.

And the fact that you didn't understand that you have to ask THE FREAKING DJ to request a song is just a testement to your lack of common sense.

Guest Guest

There's nothing better than watching someone play the "Do You Know Who I Am?" card. I generally smile and say "no, who do you THINK you are?" :lol:

Guest Guest
The weather was also awful this past First Friday which probably contributed to your not so great evening. Not a lot of people took part in the event because of the rain.

Not a lot of people took part because there is nothing new.

How often can you go to the sane places and see the same things?

There are no new places and even some of the more familiar places are hurting or closed.

I guess that's what you get for supporting Citizen Action and Lea Webb and Matt Ryan.

Keep in mind RYAN HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH FIRST FRIDAY OR GORGEOUS WASHINGTON UNTIL HE DECIDEd TO RUN FOR MAYOR.

What this guy knows about arts and culture can be inscribe on the back of beer bottle label.

Guest Guest
There is more foot traffic as the Salvation Army is full!

THAT DOESNT FILL UP UNITL 11:30 TO TWELVE. ITS USUALLY ONLY OLD LADIES AND LOSERS FROM THE OUTSKIRTS.....KIRKWOOD, WINDSOR, FORKS, ETC., STICK WITH UNCL T"s OR TOM & MARTY'S

Guest Guest
There is more foot traffic as the Salvation Army is full!

The whole "First Friday" thing is crap. Crappy music from bands, duets etc. that can't get a gig and local artists pitching their junk that should be sold at flea markets. We fell for it once.

Guest Leslie
If this is the same lady I think it is, I was sitting at the bar at Boca Joe's at the SAME time as you, and watched you bitch and moan to the bartender and then the manager about one or two possibly half inch long pieces of paper on the bar, which were wrappers from straws that customers threw on the bar, repeatedly asking the bartender and manager if they knew who you were, and then not so gracefully exiting in a huff.

Judging by that performance, and the way that I have been treated and seen others treated by the staff at both bars in the past (mainly with grace) I can't help but assume you came in with the same attitude you left with, one of entitlement, putting on the facade of class while completely lacking that characteristic.

And the fact that you didn't understand that you have to ask THE FREAKING DJ to request a song is just a testement to your lack of common sense.

Guest Leslie
There's nothing better than watching someone play the "Do You Know Who I Am?" card. I generally smile and say "no, who do you THINK you are?" :lol:

I am a patron that hopefully helps the bartending associates make the money they need to pay their bills?

Guest Guest

Like so many other things in Binghamton, First Friday will suffer under the Ryan Adminstration.

Ryan knows nothing of the arts. Prior to running for office the only art he ever saw was beer bottle labels.

That these artsy types bought into his line of bull shows you how gullible they are.

Ryan will destroy their busineses with his increases in taxes and crime and welfare class supporters, big art afficiandos!.

Guest Guest
Like so many other things in Binghamton, First Friday will suffer under the Ryan Adminstration.

Ryan knows nothing of the arts. Prior to running for office the only art he ever saw was beer bottle labels.

That these artsy types bought into his line of bull shows you how gullible they are.

Ryan will destroy their busineses with his increases in taxes and crime and welfare class supporters, big art afficiandos!.

I'm sure the Garland Gallery is doing great busines with all the "foot traffic" from the Salvation Army. I see the guys hanging around out there without their laptops. Hasn't anybody told them they can use the Binghamton muni wifi system?

Guest Guest

Where is the

Welcome to Binghamton, genius.

Guest Guest
I'm sure the Garland Gallery is doing great busines with all the "foot traffic" from the Salvation Army. I see the guys hanging around out there without their laptops. Hasn't anybody told them they can use the Binghamton muni wifi system?

Once the sex offenders figure out they can log on without being traced they will pool their funds to buy(steal) a laptop.

Archived