High School Soccer Trip To Europe

Guest Guest Mother

Guest Guest Mother

I heard someone talking about a soccer trip that his duaghter is taking to Europe over Easter. Does anyone know any details? Is it just for girls (I have a son)? Does anyone know who the coaches are? Is there a certain ability player you must be--do you have to be on Varsity? Do you have to be an All Star? Do you have to try out? Who chaperones? For anyone that has a daughter who has gone before--what do you think? I know I have missed this year but he is only a freshman. Thanks!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest soccer_fan
I heard someone talking about a soccer trip that his duaghter is taking to Europe over Easter. Does anyone know any details? Is it just for girls (I have a son)? Does anyone know who the coaches are? Is there a certain ability player you must be--do you have to be on Varsity? Do you have to be an All Star? Do you have to try out? Who chaperones? For anyone that has a daughter who has gone before--what do you think? I know I have missed this year but he is only a freshman. Thanks!

I know the girls trips are set up by the BCC Women's coach Bill Rich he starts with the league All-Stars and goes from there. Its mostly upperclassmen and they are chaperoned by a few coaches. The guys used to have a trip set up by the soccer shop guy Al, but I don't know if he still does it or not.

Guest Guest
I know the girls trips are set up by the BCC Women's coach Bill Rich he starts with the league All-Stars and goes from there. Its mostly upperclassmen and they are chaperoned by a few coaches. The guys used to have a trip set up by the soccer shop guy Al, but I don't know if he still does it or not.

the guys have one this year. like the girls it starts with the STAC all-stars . im guessing if you havent been contacted you werent an all star and they don't need guys

Guest Guest

Invitations were sent to Section IV all-stars, but none of the kids going would be considered the best kids in section IV. It's more or less who wanted to pay the money for the trip. Most of the players are from IAC schools or smaller STAC schools and will probably get beat pretty badly if they play any real competition.

Guest Guest-cache-*
Invitations were sent to Section IV all-stars, but none of the kids going would be considered the best kids in section IV. It's more or less who wanted to pay the money for the trip. Most of the players are from IAC schools or smaller STAC schools and will probably get beat pretty badly if they play any real competition.

Invitations were not sent to all of the Section IV all-stars. It used to be that STAC All-Stars were invited on the trip. This year, however, very few STAC All-Stars were invited, and for at least one school, UE, none of the All-Stars were sent invitations. Most players were not even aware of the trip until it was too late to sign-up. I think an explanation is owed to all parents and players. If the trip was for anyone who wanted to pay, then the trip should have been opened to all. It would be interesting to know who selected the players for the boys' trip this year, and the criteria that was used, and why players and schools were omitted from the list.

Guest tim mcnally
Invitations were not sent to all of the Section IV all-stars. It used to be that STAC All-Stars were invited on the trip. This year, however, very few STAC All-Stars were invited, and for at least one school, UE, none of the All-Stars were sent invitations. Most players were not even aware of the trip until it was too late to sign-up. I think an explanation is owed to all parents and players. If the trip was for anyone who wanted to pay, then the trip should have been opened to all. It would be interesting to know who selected the players for the boys' trip this year, and the criteria that was used, and why players and schools were omitted from the list.

In November, invitations to an informational meeting went to every high school in Section IV (including UE) who had any league or division all-star. They were sent to the schools c/o the Athletic Directors. The intention was for them to give them to the soccer coaches (boys & girls) who would give them to the players. In addition, since the trip has been going for the last 15-20 years, many families knew to contact Coach Rich to find out when the meeting would be held. The criteria really is to be a competent player who can afford to go.

After the information is presented, places are offered on a first come, first serve basis, with deposits taken. Up to about 4-5 years ago, the trip wouldn't fill until mid-January. Three years ago the trip filled in two weeks. Last year it filled in four days. This year, it filled the night of the meeting.

There are more than eighty players going, which gives an idea of how big a trip it is, but also that it is 'open' to many.

In the past, both the boys teams and the girls teams have had some successes, and some not so much. Girls teams have finished in the top five in several tournaments, and even won one in Holland. Taking into account that women's soccer in Europe is behind the men's game, this is logical. The boys have done well, though, and had success of their own.

More to the point is that the trip is meant to be a positive cultural experience. It is unrealistic to say that you can take ANY group of players, "all-star" or not, and with 3-4 practices make them into a TEAM. Soccer & winning is part of it, but it's more about meeting new teammates, assimilating quickly, then playing respectable soccer against teams that train together. It exposes our players to what they will see when they go to college (if they choose to play) unless they bring their whole high school team with them. AND soccer is only the vehicle that brings the trip together. The places these kids see hopefully broaden their horizons and give them a sense of where they fit in the whole world, not just in Section IV of New York State.

Guest Guest-cache-*
In November, invitations to an informational meeting went to every high school in Section IV (including UE) who had any league or division all-star. They were sent to the schools c/o the Athletic Directors. The intention was for them to give them to the soccer coaches (boys & girls) who would give them to the players. In addition, since the trip has been going for the last 15-20 years, many families knew to contact Coach Rich to find out when the meeting would be held. The criteria really is to be a competent player who can afford to go.

After the information is presented, places are offered on a first come, first serve basis, with deposits taken. Up to about 4-5 years ago, the trip wouldn't fill until mid-January. Three years ago the trip filled in two weeks. Last year it filled in four days. This year, it filled the night of the meeting.

UE players were not contacted. The AD did not receive any information about the trip, and that is according to the UE AD. The one UE player who is going on the trip found out about the meeting from someone who was sitting in the meeting 10 minutes before it started. Several UE families were disappointed that their players were not been given the opportunity

Guest Guest-cache-*
UE players were not contacted. The AD did not receive any information about the trip, and that is according to the UE AD. The one UE player who is going on the trip found out about the meeting from someone who was sitting in the meeting 10 minutes before it started. Several UE families were disappointed that their players were not been given the opportunity

ME All-stars did not receive invitations, and I hear that Vestal players didn't either. Something happened this year, and I hope it's fixed before next year so that ALL the ALL-STARS receive invitations.

Guest Guest
ME All-stars did not receive invitations, and I hear that Vestal players didn't either. Something happened this year, and I hope it's fixed before next year so that ALL the ALL-STARS receive invitations.

None of the Elmira schools recieved invitations either. It sounds like a little bias going on in attempt to get some of the lower level all-stars to you. Some of the best players, from the best schools, in Section IV (U-E, M-E, EFA, Vestal, etc) apparently weren't given the opportunity to go (not that they would have anyways). From what i've seen, NONE of the best 11 players (any probably more) in Section IV are making this trip.

Guest Guest
None of the Elmira schools recieved invitations either. It sounds like a little bias going on in attempt to get some of the lower level all-stars to you. Some of the best players, from the best schools, in Section IV (U-E, M-E, EFA, Vestal, etc) apparently weren't given the opportunity to go (not that they would have anyways). From what i've seen, NONE of the best 11 players (any probably more) in Section IV are making this trip.

In recent years the integrity of the trip has gotten compromised. It used to be an honor to be invited to play, it used to be a select group of Varsity All Stars from throughout Section IV, mostly upperclassmen. Now it seems due to new people affiliated with running the trip, its more a matter of who you know. This year and last there were freshman on the trip and this year I know of at least one freshmen who isnt even a varsity player, therefore obviously nothing all star at all. Im sorry but a 14 year old freshman child on a trip with 18 year old senior adults is a recipe for a problem due to their immaturity. Its too bad that there are juniors and seniors out there, who truly could have used this as a stepping stone for college and for broadening their cultural boundaries, who arent going. I hope the little kids dont ruin it. It used to be a good thing.

Guest Guest
In recent years the integrity of the trip has gotten compromised. It used to be an honor to be invited to play, it used to be a select group of Varsity All Stars from throughout Section IV, mostly upperclassmen. Now it seems due to new people affiliated with running the trip, its more a matter of who you know. This year and last there were freshman on the trip and this year I know of at least one freshmen who isnt even a varsity player, therefore obviously nothing all star at all. Im sorry but a 14 year old freshman child on a trip with 18 year old senior adults is a recipe for a problem due to their immaturity. Its too bad that there are juniors and seniors out there, who truly could have used this as a stepping stone for college and for broadening their cultural boundaries, who arent going. I hope the little kids dont ruin it. It used to be a good thing.

not only that but like it or not every time a team goes to europe to play they represent the US. we really should put our best players forward to have a good showing. we aren't do that with this team. there are actual teams in the STAC that are better than the team they are sending.

Guest soccermom3

Since many of the All-Stars from several schools never received their invitations, next year, the athletes who didn't graduate should be given priority. Moreover, they shouldn't be penalized for not knowing to call Coach Rich, that's like blaming the victim. These players were waiting for the invitation.

Also, it's hard to tell from your reponse if All-Stars are even wanted for this trip. If the trip criteria is just for competent players, then a mass mailing should be done so ALL high school soccer players have the opportunity to participate in a trip to Europe.

Guest Guest
a mass mailing should be done so ALL high school soccer players have the opportunity to participate in a trip to Europe.

It's apparent that there was an alternate political agenda at work here. Notice some of the schools NOT asked to participate are some of the better soccer schools in Section IV. We are essentially sending a "B" team to play in Europe.

Guest Been There

The schools mentioned (UE, ME, Vestal) have all been represented in the recent past by very good players, so I highly doubt they were excluded this year. The invitations are sent each year at around the same time to the AD’s of the Section IV schools, so if they did not receive them as in the past they should have earned some of their pay check and contacted Coach Rich to make sure their student athletes had an opportunity to go. And do you think any of them are going to admit to a group of angry parents and students that they dropped the ball and didn’t hand them out on time?

As for a mass mailing….bad idea. An invitation is a small perk to those athletes who were voted all-stars, and recognition that they are the best in the area. The coaches who participate in this trip are all very successful and competitive and want to take the best athletes they can so they have an opportunity to succeed in international tournaments.

Around next Thanksgiving you may want to go to the AD at your school and ask them if they have received the invitations yet. If not you can suggest that they contact Coach Rich to make sure your all-star has the chance to go (this naturally is part what your AD is paid for, but obviously some need a gentle reminder). If you are thinking about your athlete and possibly yourself going, make that decision before the first meeting and have your deposit in hand or you risk being shut out. These trips have become extremely popular.

One final thought, this trip is not affiliated with any school or with the STAC itself. The all-star list is the best way for the coaches to invite the top players in Section IV. If they wanted they could hand pick each individual player and shut everyone else out, and no one would really have a right to say anything about it. If you don’t like it, organize your own trip.

I was fortunate enough to go with my child on one of these trips and the experience is one that we will remember for the rest of our lives. The coaches deserve a lot of credit for all the hard work they do organizing a trip with that many people involved.

Guest Guest
The schools mentioned (UE, ME, Vestal) have all been represented in the recent past by very good players, so I highly doubt they were excluded this year. The invitations are sent each year at around the same time to the AD’s of the Section IV schools, so if they did not receive them as in the past they should have earned some of their pay check and contacted Coach Rich to make sure their student athletes had an opportunity to go. And do you think any of them are going to admit to a group of angry parents and students that they dropped the ball and didn’t hand them out on time?

One final thought, this trip is not affiliated with any school or with the STAC itself. The all-star list is the best way for the coaches to invite the top players in Section IV. If they wanted they could hand pick each individual player and shut everyone else out, and no one would really have a right to say anything about it. If you don’t like it, organize your own trip.

Invitations were not sent to several schools. And, since All-Stars and players from at least three schools were not at the informational meeting, how did so many other players who were not All-Stars show up for this meeting? If this trip is not to recognize the achievements of the All-Stars, then it should not be considered as such. The trip should then should be open to all, and not to those who know who's running the trip, that's just not fair.

Guest Been There
Invitations were not sent to several schools. And, since All-Stars and players from at least three schools were not at the informational meeting, how did so many other players who were not All-Stars show up for this meeting? If this trip is not to recognize the achievements of the All-Stars, then it should not be considered as such. The trip should then should be open to all, and not to those who know who's running the trip, that's just not fair.

I don't quite understand your argument. According to you there are players going who are not all-stars, so this trip must be open to all. And as far as being fair, the information is put out to the schools and it is the responsibility of the AD's to handle. They are under no legal obligation to distribute to the coaches, and the coaches are under no obligation to distribute to the players as this is not affiliated with the schools. There are coaches and AD's that do not want some players going at this time of year because of conflicts with lacrosse, and many of the better soccer players are also members of their lacrosse teams. I don't believe for one minute that the coaches running the trip would intentionally leave out players from the largest and most successful programs in the area, especially since each school you mentioned has been a part of this trip for years. If your AD and coach were truly concerned with the best interest of the student athlete and not their lacrosse program, they would make sure the invitations were received and distributed...it's not a surprise, they have been getting them every year around the same time. If you talk to your AD and they say they did not receive the packages, ask him or her why they didn't make a simple phone call to assure that the students at your school had an opportunity to go.

Guest guest
I don't quite understand your argument. According to you there are players going who are not all-stars, so this trip must be open to all. And as far as being fair, the information is put out to the schools and it is the responsibility of the AD's to handle. They are under no legal obligation to distribute to the coaches, and the coaches are under no obligation to distribute to the players as this is not affiliated with the schools. There are coaches and AD's that do not want some players going at this time of year because of conflicts with lacrosse, and many of the better soccer players are also members of their lacrosse teams. I don't believe for one minute that the coaches running the trip would intentionally leave out players from the largest and most successful programs in the area, especially since each school you mentioned has been a part of this trip for years. If your AD and coach were truly concerned with the best interest of the student athlete and not their lacrosse program, they would make sure the invitations were received and distributed...it's not a surprise, they have been getting them every year around the same time. If you talk to your AD and they say they did not receive the packages, ask him or her why they didn't make a simple phone call to assure that the students at your school had an opportunity to go.

My argument is not hard to follow: either the trip is for All-Stars or it is not. If anyone can go, then why bother to send invitations? And, if any one can go, then there should just be one massive announcement sent to all players about the trip--that way it's an fair and open process, and not one where only certain players who know about the trip and when the meeting is schedule for can go.

At least for UE, there is an new AD who was not aware of the trip. Had he received the letters, I'm sure he would have given them to the players. So, again, why were letters not sent to certain schools? Since it's a simple mistake, then it can be mixed next year by giving these specific invitees who never received letters first chance. From the what we have heard, anyone who showed up with a check was able to go, non-Varsity players, non All-Stars, any players regardless of level of play. So again, why bother to send invitations if they mean nothing? It used to an honor to be invited, but that is not the case any more.

Guest Been There
My argument is not hard to follow: either the trip is for All-Stars or it is not. If anyone can go, then why bother to send invitations? And, if any one can go, then there should just be one massive announcement sent to all players about the trip--that way it's an fair and open process, and not one where only certain players who know about the trip and when the meeting is schedule for can go.

At least for UE, there is an new AD who was not aware of the trip. Had he received the letters, I'm sure he would have given them to the players. So, again, why were letters not sent to certain schools? Since it's a simple mistake, then it can be mixed next year by giving these specific invitees who never received letters first chance. From the what we have heard, anyone who showed up with a check was able to go, non-Varsity players, non All-Stars, any players regardless of level of play. So again, why bother to send invitations if they mean nothing? It used to an honor to be invited, but that is not the case any more.

So if the UE AD had the letters and handed them out then it would still be an honor to be invited? You have a good program, but please.

There are a number of players currently attending UE who have gone on this trip in the past. They as well as your coaches who aren't new know full well when the trip happens and when the letters come out. I know you only want to point the finger at the people running the trip, but face it, the ball was dropped at UE, or it was intentionally ignored. And regardless of what you say, it is still an honor to be invited on the trip. If there are any non all-stars that were at the meeting it wasn't because they were invited by the coaches to go. Only all-stars attending schools where the AD and coaches did their jobs were invited to participate. IDs are not checked at the doors, so if other players heard of the trip and showed up at the meeting they could get in.

Guest Guest
So if the UE AD had the letters and handed them out then it would still be an honor to be invited? You have a good program, but please.

There are a number of players currently attending UE who have gone on this trip in the past. They as well as your coaches who aren't new know full well when the trip happens and when the letters come out. I know you only want to point the finger at the people running the trip, but face it, the ball was dropped at UE, or it was intentionally ignored. And regardless of what you say, it is still an honor to be invited on the trip. If there are any non all-stars that were at the meeting it wasn't because they were invited by the coaches to go. Only all-stars attending schools where the AD and coaches did their jobs were invited to participate. IDs are not checked at the doors, so if other players heard of the trip and showed up at the meeting they could get in.

The bottom line...the section isn't sending ANY of it's best players to Europe to play. It seems like ZERO large school, STAC players are going and instead, Section IV is being represented by kids who probably wouldn't even have made the cut if they were taking 22 of the section's best players. If it's an honor to simpy sign up to go to Europe, then you're right.

Guest Been There
The bottom line...the section isn't sending ANY of it's best players to Europe to play. It seems like ZERO large school, STAC players are going and instead, Section IV is being represented by kids who probably wouldn't even have made the cut if they were taking 22 of the section's best players. If it's an honor to simpy sign up to go to Europe, then you're right.

UE players aren't going so NONE of the best players in this area are participating. Nice way to belittle the all-star players from anything but the BIG schools because everyone knows that you can't be any good unless you happen to live in the right area. I figure you must be holding a copy of the roster of who is going, personally know the best 22 players in the area and discussed with each that they are not going, or have no idea what you're talking about but it sounded good so you might as well write it.

The INVITATIONS were sent out to only all-star players. It is an honor to be an all-star and in a lot of ways more difficult to be an all-star on a smaller school team as opposed to one of the larger schools because you don't have the strong supporting cast around you. I did not say simply signing up was an honor, you did. What I did say was that being invited was an honor. Since only all-stars are invited, your statement "It used to an honor to be invited, but that is not the case any more." must mean that in your opinion the players who make the all-star team are not the best players (except of course for the BIG schools).

Guest guest

UE was not the only school whose players did not get invitations. Someone needs to find out what happened to the letters this year, so that next year, the All-Stars from at least 3 school districts are not left out in the cold again. And, since there is a finite number of All-Stars listed on the STAC website, all of whom are extremely well-know in the STAC conference, it should have been evident to the organizers that the players in attendance and handing in checks WERE NOT All-Stars or even Varsity players.

Guest INTERESTED GUEST

The real bottom line.... The SECTION ISN'T SENDING anyone. Families and parents and towns are. This is funded by each individual.

About small school players vs big ones... A girl from Stamford HS (you'll probably have to go offf line and get a VERY detailed map to find it) went to Oneonta and just finished her career there as a four time All-American. There may be others in any sport from UE or wherever who have matched that, but nobody has ever been more than a four time All American in just one sport because that's the maximum.

Guest INTERESTED GUEST
Someone needs to find out what happened to the letters this year, so that next year, the All-Stars from at least 3 school districts are not left out in the cold again.

Good idea... maybe we can hire the folks who tracked down Spitzer and brought him to justice...

or possibly we can get some of the folks from the Spanish Inquisition.... or the Salem Witch Trials

Guest parent
Good idea... maybe we can hire the folks who tracked down Spitzer and brought him to justice...

or possibly we can get some of the folks from the Spanish Inquisition.... or the Salem Witch Trials

That's a helpful suggestion, I guess your player is going on the trip. Glad he/she had the opportunity.

Archived