High School Soccer Trip To Europe

Guest Guest Mother

Guest Guest
UE players aren't going so NONE of the best players in this area are participating. Nice way to belittle the all-star players from anything but the BIG schools because everyone knows that you can't be any good unless you happen to live in the right area. I figure you must be holding a copy of the roster of who is going, personally know the best 22 players in the area and discussed with each that they are not going, or have no idea what you're talking about but it sounded good so you might as well write it.

The INVITATIONS were sent out to only all-star players. It is an honor to be an all-star and in a lot of ways more difficult to be an all-star on a smaller school team as opposed to one of the larger schools because you don't have the strong supporting cast around you. I did not say simply signing up was an honor, you did. What I did say was that being invited was an honor. Since only all-stars are invited, your statement "It used to an honor to be invited, but that is not the case any more." must mean that in your opinion the players who make the all-star team are not the best players (except of course for the BIG schools).

I wasn't implying that the best kids play for U-E. I was making a statement about the quality of players in general that aren't going. However Tim Sagasti would have been one of those players.

Also, you're right...all the best players don't play for larger schools; however, MORE of the best players play for those larger schools and from the smaller school players that are going, a small amount of them are considered the "best" players on their teams. Take this into consideration when you begin to think about the gap between soccer at larger and smaller schools. Sus. Valley is widely considered a great small school team. What is their record the past few seasons against Owego, ME, JC, EFA, Vestal, or Horseheads...all of which they have played?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest guest

This trip is a private enterprise... it is not a school based event and has no connection to any Athletic Directors, school boards, or governing NY State education or sports bodies.

The intent is not to send the best possible team on this trip...period. It is a very broad base of Kids that are going ... it is a cultural event and our teams are not favored to win. Everyone knows that.

The whining is unbelievable on this board. If you think your kids dreams are dashed because they are not going on this trip, then pack a suitcase and take them somewhere yourself. Get a grip. Bill Rich is not responsible for your insecurities or your high need for special attention. It’s a blessing for all people involved that the kids with the annoying whining parents are left behind. It seems like soccer kids, more than others, are always ruined by their parents inadequacies and their need to compensate for god only knows what.

Here's a novel idea... go take a family vacation and come back and tell us all about it.

PS – I’m sorry you always got picked last when you were a kid, but it’s time to move on. Please. You’re killing us already.

Guest Guest
This trip is a private enterprise... it is not a school based event and has no connection to any Athletic Directors, school boards, or governing NY State education or sports bodies.

The intent is not to send the best possible team on this trip...period. It is a very broad base of Kids that are going ... it is a cultural event and our teams are not favored to win. Everyone knows that.

The whining is unbelievable on this board. If you think your kids dreams are dashed because they are not going on this trip, then pack a suitcase and take them somewhere yourself. Get a grip. Bill Rich is not responsible for your insecurities or your high need for special attention. It’s a blessing for all people involved that the kids with the annoying whining parents are left behind. It seems like soccer kids, more than others, are always ruined by their parents inadequacies and their need to compensate for god only knows what.

Here's a novel idea... go take a family vacation and come back and tell us all about it.

PS – I’m sorry you always got picked last when you were a kid, but it’s time to move on. Please. You’re killing us already.

...a post that was intended to shed light on a sad subject did nothing but highlight the immaturity of his/her self.

Guest Guest
The event is based on funding. Kids that can play soccer and can pay for the opportunity get to go.

Exactly why the team shouldn't be listed as an "all-star team".

Guest Bill Rich

If you are interested in actual facts regarding the trip, please feel free to contact me directly through BCC athletics. The reality is that in 14 years of doing the trip invitations have been sent to any player in Section IV who made an All Star team. I can assure you that EVERY school in section IV has been sent invitations to the main office to be distributed to their schools All Star players. No school is ever left out.

If at any time anyone would like to put together what they consider the "best" All Star team we would be glad to assist them in a trip. Keep in mind that the All Star selection process will always be controversial. This trip is and has been conceived as a positive experience for all those that participate and so far has been successful in that regard....we always are interested in positive feedback.

Guest Been There
If you are interested in actual facts regarding the trip, please feel free to contact me directly through BCC athletics. The reality is that in 14 years of doing the trip invitations have been sent to any player in Section IV who made an All Star team. I can assure you that EVERY school in section IV has been sent invitations to the main office to be distributed to their schools All Star players. No school is ever left out.

If at any time anyone would like to put together what they consider the "best" All Star team we would be glad to assist them in a trip. Keep in mind that the All Star selection process will always be controversial. This trip is and has been conceived as a positive experience for all those that participate and so far has been successful in that regard....we always are interested in positive feedback.

Bill...good luck to you, the other coaches, and the players this year.

Guest soccervmom

The event is based on funding. Kids that can play soccer and can pay for the opportunity get to go.

I had a child that went several years ago and it was a great honer for him to go, he worked real hard that season and earned an All-Star spot, he also worked and earned the money to go. He had a great time.

I know of a girl that last year was a Senior she wanted to go on this trip, she also worked for 2 years to earn the money and trained really hard to earn the honor of being picked as an All-Star last season. She received the information went to the meeting and was told that there was not enough room for her to go, all the spots were taken. Her parents later were told that there was a sophmore going that did not make the All-Star listing in section IV, and that being picked as an All-Star did not guarentee anything, it was who you knew.

It is to bad that things have changed and kids that work hard get looked over for someone's daughter.

To make it fair, the STAC All-Stars should get first pick, starting with Seniors and working down. If there is any room left than it should be opened to other Varsity Players.

Guest Guest

QUOTE (Guest @ Mar 16 2008, 05:30 AM)

I had a child that went several years ago and it was a great honer for him to go, he worked real hard that season and earned an All-Star spot, he also worked and earned the money to go. He had a great time.

I know of a girl that last year was a Senior she wanted to go on this trip, she also worked for 2 years to earn the money and trained really hard to earn the honor of being picked as an All-Star last season. She received the information went to the meeting and was told that there was not enough room for her to go, all the spots were taken. Her parents later were told that there was a sophmore going that did not make the All-Star listing in section IV, and that being picked as an All-Star did not guarentee anything, it was who you knew.

It is to bad that things have changed and kids that work hard get looked over for someone's daughter.

To make it fair, the STAC All-Stars should get first pick, starting with Seniors and working down. If there is any room left than it should be opened to other Varsity Players.

Mr Rich

I think this is exactly why people are upset. I realize that your trip is a private enterprise but I hope that situations like this one from the Mom are taken into consideration next year. Id be very upset to know that a freshman jv kid like Lucy Seerles is going and not this senior varsity kid jsut because her dad is close drinking buddies with one of the Europe trip coaches . Not taking anything away from Lucy or any other player like her, but she has 4 more years of chances to go. This girl had this year and now her chance has past. Its sad. I think the suggestion above deserves creedance.

Guest Guest
QUOTE (Guest @ Mar 16 2008, 05:30 AM)

Mr Rich

I think this is exactly why people are upset. I realize that your trip is a private enterprise but I hope that situations like this one from the Mom are taken into consideration next year. Id be very upset to know that a freshman jv kid like Lucy Seerles is going and not this senior varsity kid jsut because her dad is close drinking buddies with one of the Europe trip coaches . Not taking anything away from Lucy or any other player like her, but she has 4 more years of chances to go. This girl had this year and now her chance has past. Its sad. I think the suggestion above deserves creedance.

My only regret is that Bill actually responded to you people. The only thing this board does is slam kids and the people who help the kids. The info was given out, as it is every year, and you didn't get it. Drinking buddies? Get a life. Go talk to the people who got the info and didn't pass it on. As far as the post that it would give your kid a leg up in college, get a grip will ya? It's a fun trip, thats all, and a good experience with great people taking YOUR KID. Start one yourself if you don't like the way it's done, then I'm sure it will be just perfect!!

You people are just unbelievable.

Guest Guest
My only regret is that Bill actually responded to you people. The only thing this board does is slam kids and the people who help the kids. The info was given out, as it is every year, and you didn't get it. Drinking buddies? Get a life. Go talk to the people who got the info and didn't pass it on. As far as the post that it would give your kid a leg up in college, get a grip will ya? It's a fun trip, thats all, and a good experience with great people taking YOUR KID. Start one yourself if you don't like the way it's done, then I'm sure it will be just perfect!!

You people are just unbelievable.

Let me put this plainly for you if Lucy Searles is on the trip, there is a big flaw in the process. In a trip meant to honor the local varsity All-Stars, a JV player is going? I understand that the people who first offer their payments are securing their spots, but she has no business being at the meeting because she lacks any of the qualifications for being there, varsity player and All-Star. If you are just going to open the process to anyone with cash, put an ad in the paper saying saying "For $$ you can go to play soccer in Europe", calling the trip anything else isn't the truth. Her families close relationship with Shane Cook would be the only reason she was at the meeting so that is a very valid complaint, like it or not.

Guest guest
If you are just going to open the process to anyone with cash, put an ad in the paper saying saying "For $$ you can go to play soccer in Europe", calling the trip anything else isn't the truth.

Exactly. Put an ad in the paper and open up the trip to all. It's the only way to make sure all soccer players are aware of the trip. To advertise this trip as an ALL-STAR trip is false as it was hit or miss as to which All-Star got an invite, plus many non-all-stars got invitations.

BUT, do it right, and next year, put honor back into the program. Take the ALL-STAR list, make sure all the names on it KNOW of the trip, and give them a specific time frame in which to respond. Have the informational meeting, but make it clear that it is first for the All-Stars. If the All-Stars turn it down, then open it up to others, starting with Varsity upperclass players and then working down the list to non-Varsity players. It shouldn't be left to who knows who, or who elbowed his/her way up to the head of the line. Since it's a popular trip, my guess is that there won't be any problems with a waiting list.

Guest INTERESTED GUEST
Exactly. Put an ad in the paper and open up the trip to all. It's the only way to make sure all soccer players are aware of the trip. To advertise this trip as an ALL-STAR trip is false as it was hit or miss as to which All-Star got an invite, plus many non-all-stars got invitations.

BUT, do it right, and next year, put honor back into the program. Take the ALL-STAR list, make sure all the names on it KNOW of the trip, and give them a specific time frame in which to respond. Have the informational meeting, but make it clear that it is first for the All-Stars. If the All-Stars turn it down, then open it up to others, starting with Varsity upperclass players and then working down the list to non-Varsity players. It shouldn't be left to who knows who, or who elbowed his/her way up to the head of the line. Since it's a popular trip, my guess is that there won't be any problems with a waiting list.

Have we even considered the flaws in the All Star selection process of the various leagues? Every year it seems like deserving boys and girls get left off of these teams. I am wondering where they fit into this discussion?

Guest guest
Have we even considered the flaws in the All Star selection process of the various leagues? Every year it seems like deserving boys and girls get left off of these teams. I am wondering where they fit into this discussion?

that's a whole another topic

Guest Guest

I think this poster is absolutely correct.

Guest Defender
I think this poster is absolutely correct.

Rule number 1.................... Say it with me........... NO WHINING!!!! You bunch of mushy mouthed cry baby's. What do you do? What opportunaties do you afford any kids in this area. Bill Rich goes out of his way to put this trip on every year for 15 years. The All Star list is just a list to use for invitations. As Bill will tell you, any kid that has the maturaty and can play at a high level can go on the trip. Just because Wood is too stupid to pull Lucy up doesn;t mean she can't play at a varsity level. Her Fusion shirt has two state cup championship patches on it............ Does your Sr. thats not going on the trip? I know for a fact it doesn't.

Stop whining and do something yourself instead of griping.

Guest GUEST
Rule number 1.................... Say it with me........... NO WHINING!!!! You bunch of mushy mouthed cry baby's. What do you do? What opportunaties do you afford any kids in this area. Bill Rich goes out of his way to put this trip on every year for 15 years. The All Star list is just a list to use for invitations. As Bill will tell you, any kid that has the maturaty and can play at a high level can go on the trip. Just because Wood is too stupid to pull Lucy up doesn;t mean she can't play at a varsity level. Her Fusion shirt has two state cup championship patches on it............ Does your Sr. thats not going on the trip? I know for a fact it doesn't.

Stop whining and do something yourself instead of griping.

Please re-read the posts from McNally & Rich, neither state "maturity" (as you spell it, maturaty) as a criteria, or even "high level of play". I've seen competent, but not "high level of play" stated, either.

Guest Guest
Please re-read the posts from McNally & Rich, neither state "maturity" (as you spell it, maturaty) as a criteria, or even "high level of play". I've seen competent, but not "high level of play" stated, either.

Great post...

For the record, very few (if any) of the kids going on this trip play at a "high level of play". Most play for clubs like Hiawatha, SRU, Vestal Extreme, or BC United which are far from top tier soccer.

Guest English

On top of being a soccer know it all you are an english major too. You really are the smartest person in the world. We bow to you on king (or Queen) of everything. Does this make you feel better? One of two things........... DELETED. Sitting around with nothing more to do than grip about this and correct others spelling. You are a big person. Give up your mall cop job and start your own tourn group. PIG!

Guest soccer_fan

Look that person made a valid point and corrected one of your grammatical errors. Look at what you wrote and use a spell check before you look foolish. It's tough to respect someone for their views when its so poorly written. You further lose any chance at defense when you go to a personal attack that is totally unnecessary. If people want to question why a JV player was signed up for a "Varsity All-Star" squad its a valid concern. I totally agree with the posts that say just put an ad in the paper. If they want to be looked at as a local All-Star team, then they need to eliminate people who don't meet that criteria.

@

Guest Sweep

I am disgusted by what is being said in this forum. Coach Rich started this trip years ago because he wanted to take a group of soccer players on a trip they would remember the rest of their lives. He is doing this for the soccer community, and yet you bitter people do nothing but complain. The trip is initially open to All-Star players, but no where does it state that ONLY All-Star players can participate in the trip. I agree with an earlier post - if the All-Stars of certain schools did not get the letters, why didn't the AD contact Coach Rich and McNally regarding the trip and its information? This trip is by no means new, all the AD's in the area should be fully aware of the trips existence, and yet they do nothing to ensure that the All-Stars get that opportunity? Ask yourselves if Coach Rich and Coach McNally have a reason as to why they would intentionally exclude some of the bigger schools in the area. They wouldn't exclude them.

In the past couple years the trip has been open to roughly 80 people, and generally speaking those people have been the All-Stars of Section IV. If the coaches were to send out a letter to everyone, there would be more arguing as to who was allowed to go. Do you really think that would solve anything?

I applaud Coach Rich, McNally, and all of the other coaches associated with this trip. No one asked them to single-handedly take on such a task as to plan this trip year after year, they are doing it for the children of this area.

Guest Guest

...The trip is initially open to All-Star players, but no where does it state that ONLY All-Star players can participate in the trip...

In the past couple years the trip has been open to roughly 80 people, and generally speaking those people have been the All-Stars of Section IV.

[/quote

You contradict yourself, either the trip is initially open to all all-stars or not.

Earlier posts addressed how to fix this problem. Get the list of All-Stars, put an ad in the paper letting everyone know about the trip and informational meeting, and then start taking names. Rank the players--All-Stars, Varsity, JV. Believe me, it wouldn't be THAT hard to do: All-Star would at the top of the list, and JV Freshman would be at the bottom. This approach would mostly eliminate pages like this. Since professionals are taking 80 kids to Europe, they can be professional in the selection process.

~+~

Archived