High School Soccer Trip To Europe

Guest Guest Mother

Guest Been There
Does anyone know how the teams did in Europe?

@

Boys and Girls both had 3 teams.

Boys came in 6, 7, 8 positions in the U19 division

Girls came in 5, 7, 9 positions in the Women's (no age limit) division

Boys Team 2 won the Fair Play Award for their division

Girls Team 2 won the Fair Play Award for their division

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Guest
Boys and Girls both had 3 teams.

Boys came in 6, 7, 8 positions in the U19 division

Girls came in 5, 7, 9 positions in the Women's (no age limit) division

Boys Team 2 won the Fair Play Award for their division

Girls Team 2 won the Fair Play Award for their division

Sub-par...imagine what would have done if we sent Section IV's GOOD players...

Guest Been There
Sub-par...imagine what would have done if we sent Section IV's GOOD players...

I guess you'll be contacting Coach Rich when he gets back to offer your services organizing next year's trip..sending out the invitations, ranking the players interested in going, handling the complaints of people who wanted to go but can't, then working with the teams to prepare them. You do realize that they go against European teams in these tournaments that play together all year round so you have about 2 practices to form a 'team' that can compete at that level. And knowing this year's results were sup-par, you must have flown over there to watch the games to see the level of competition. It sounds to me like you know nothing about this trip, nothing about what it's really about, and you want to complain because you can. When you get off your computer and get involved, then make assessments of what could be, because you have absolutely no idea.

Guest Guest
I guess you'll be contacting Coach Rich when he gets back to offer your services organizing next year's trip..sending out the invitations, ranking the players interested in going, handling the complaints of people who wanted to go but can't, then working with the teams to prepare them. You do realize that they go against European teams in these tournaments that play together all year round so you have about 2 practices to form a 'team' that can compete at that level. And knowing this year's results were sup-par, you must have flown over there to watch the games to see the level of competition. It sounds to me like you know nothing about this trip, nothing about what it's really about, and you want to complain because you can. When you get off your computer and get involved, then make assessments of what could be, because you have absolutely no idea.

HAHA!! Your kid must have been one of the sub-par ones.

Guest Been There
HAHA!! Your kid must have been one of the sub-par ones.

Actually I didn't have a child go this year, but HaHa...either did you

Guest Guest
we will see Shane and the Fusion u15G players and parents that did go to Europe at the Jefferson Cup this weekend to get the real scoop

U will have 2 ask Searles and Illseleys bcz Shane is going right frm Europe 2 his grlfrnds in Buffalo

@

Guest Guest

I think the earlier reply stated how to do it correctly:

1) Publicize the trip -- Take an ad out in the paper to notify all players about the trip in addition sending notices to the schools.

2) Have the informational meeting and give a time frame of when paperwork and checks will be accepted. Since seats were sold out the night of the meeting, this should not be a problem.

2) Set player criteria (beyond competent), start with the All-Stars, then accept Varsity Upperclassmen/women, then non-Varsity players. I can't see how or why a ranking system would be so hard to implement. If everyone knows there is a system in place with fair selection criteria, then people would not be so upset by this year's trip.

By taking these steps, fewer people would have fewer reasons to complain. People will always complain, but this time they had legitimate issues.

If the teams did poorly this year (which they did), don't try to explain the loses away by saying they only had two practice sessions. The players were set up to fail before they left the States. The bottom line: if you're going to play soccer in Europe, take the best team you can roster.

And, I do know how to organize such a trip, it's a lot of work but not impossible.

Guest Been There
I think the earlier reply stated how to do it correctly:

1) Publicize the trip -- Take an ad out in the paper to notify all players about the trip in addition sending notices to the schools.

2) Have the informational meeting and give a time frame of when paperwork and checks will be accepted. Since seats were sold out the night of the meeting, this should not be a problem.

2) Set player criteria (beyond competent), start with the All-Stars, then accept Varsity Upperclassmen/women, then non-Varsity players. I can't see how or why a ranking system would be so hard to implement. If everyone knows there is a system in place with fair selection criteria, then people would not be so upset by this year's trip.

By taking these steps, fewer people would have fewer reasons to complain. People will always complain, but this time they had legitimate issues.

If the teams did poorly this year (which they did), don't try to explain the loses away by saying they only had two practice sessions. The players were set up to fail before they left the States. The bottom line: if you're going to play soccer in Europe, take the best team you can roster.

And, I do know how to organize such a trip, it's a lot of work but not impossible.

I guess what I'm saying is that you want the trip organized the way YOU want it, but you have nothing to do with it...and before you jump on me, I don't either. The coaches that go on this trip organize it in a way they are comfortable with and a way that does give many players the opportunity to experience something they will always remember. They send out invitations to the all-stars at each school, and it is up to the AD and coach at that school to distribute to the players. The invitations are only used as a starting point, and the majority of those going having been selected as an All-star.

No one is forced to go on the trip, and no one is preventing you or anyone else from starting your own. If you have organized trips in the past then you do know how difficult and time consuming it is, and I don't think you would appreciate someone coming onto BCVoice and picking apart the way you do it. We have been fortunate enough to have our child involved (as an All-star) on more than one of these trips, and the coaches deserve a lot of credit for all they do.

Guest Guest

Someone wants to take a trip. They like soccer. They invite soccer kids (mostly acquaintances) to go- the adults watch, the kids play. End.

This has nothing to do with showcasing the area's top players. It is just a bunch of people who like to play and watch soccer.

So you weren't invited? Get over it. You probably weren't invited to the wildflower tour of Ireland or the bakey tour of France either... Why do you care? Why do you want to go on what is essentially somebody's vacation trip?

Guest Guest=Guest
Someone wants to take a trip. They like soccer. They invite soccer kids (mostly acquaintances) to go- the adults watch, the kids play. End.

This has nothing to do with showcasing the area's top players. It is just a bunch of people who like to play and watch soccer.

So you weren't invited? Get over it. You probably weren't invited to the wildflower tour of Ireland or the bakey tour of France either... Why do you care? Why do you want to go on what is essentially somebody's vacation trip?

The previous poster made some valid points--And, I don't consider a trip taking 80 kids going to Europe a vacation trip. Yes, the coaches had their trip paid for by the company. But, if the coaches and their buddies consider it their vacation trip, then they should run it just for friends and family, and call it The Coaches Vacation Trip to Europe. Then EVERYONE will know that the trip is not for how well you play soccer, but who you know. A great message to send to kids.

@

Guest parent
Actually I didn't have a child go this year, but HaHa...either did you

All the girls talked about was all the the drinking that went on and their hickeys.

And all the boys they meet. Great Soccer experiance.

Maybe Bill needs to look at what or who has changed in this program in the last few years?

Guest Guest
All the girls talked about was all the the drinking that went on and their hickeys.

And all the boys they meet. Great Soccer experiance.

Maybe Bill needs to look at what or who has changed in this program in the last few years?

You are right. The girls versions of what happened was gross. And the evidence was disgusting. Id have been livid if it was my daughter who came home like that. BUT i have heard worse stories from previous years of other girls not acting like young ladies while away from their parents. Quite promiscuous. I think its the kids/girls who go, not the coaches/chaperones.

Guest Guest
You are right. The girls versions of what happened was gross. And the evidence was disgusting. Id have been livid if it was my daughter who came home like that. BUT i have heard worse stories from previous years of other girls not acting like young ladies while away from their parents. Quite promiscuous. I think its the kids/girls who go, not the coaches/chaperones.

I can only ask where were the coaches/chaperones? This is what happens when you take less than serious players on a trip like that.

Guest Guest
I can only ask where were the coaches/chaperones? This is what happens when you take less than serious players on a trip like that.

Well I would have to agree I guess. They may not promote it but they dont prevent it. The coaches and chaperones are very lax in that regard. They think the kids paid big money to go so they should do what they want. They know that there is bed hopping and drinking but they choose not to see unless forced to. As for the kids going for the cultural aspects? My butt. Not one of them goes for that. They go to party internationally. I guess that does make one wonder too about the parents and the chaperones who go. At some point they need to realize they arent "friends" with these kids. They are adults playing with fire with kids.

Guest Guest

Who were the chaperones? If drinking and women were abundent then all you need to do is look at who went with the team. You guessed it, Shane Cook. When is everyone going to learn with this guy?

Guest Been There

We know...your child did not go because they never received an invitation. If they had I'm sure that first place was a lock and there would have been no drinking at all on the trip because your child is serious about soccer and would never put alcohol in their system.

Enough already. Your kid didn't go and if he/she did I highly doubt the teams would have done better on the field OR off the field. I haven't talked to any of the players who went this year, so I can't comment directly on what may or may not have happened, and somehow I doubt you really know the full story either. Just because you talked to one or two players who may have sensationalized what went on does not mean you are an expert. Get your head out of your butt and realize that your darling little angel may have tasted a beer or two and that high school athletes are no different from non-athletes when it comes to partying, except some I know are worse.

Contrary to what you would have people believe this is an excellent trip for these students and it has been going nicely and gaining in popularity with both athletes and parents for a number of years. Leave it to someone with some sort of grudge to get on BCVoice and do everything they can to rip it apart. Like I've said before, unless you are willing to put your time and effort toward this trip, then you should keep your opinion of how it should be run to yourself. Stop trying to tell the coaches how they should select the players and how they should treat the players on a trip that does not concern you. And from everything I've read so far, if your child had received an invitation then you wouldn't have said anything on here about it...sounds like sour grapes to me.

Instead of feeling left out you should now be thanking your lucky stars that your kid wasn't invited. Next year if you receive an invitation you better burn or shred it because you don't want your 'serious' athlete exposed to such things....or will everything be OK then because their feelings won't be hurt by being excluded.

Guest Guest

Oh spare us Mr High & Mighty Been There. I dont care if they are away in Europe or here in Vestal. Underaged drinking is AGAINST THE LAW. You are part of the problem.

Guest Been There
Oh spare us Mr High & Mighty Been There. I dont care if they are away in Europe or here in Vestal. Underaged drinking is AGAINST THE LAW. You are part of the problem.

Great come back

Because your kid didn't get to go you want to knock the coaches and players who did. You've been critical of the players who went, being very insulting to them as a matter of fact. They are kids just like yours and I doubt you'd want to read on here how your kid wasn't one of the 'serious' or 'good' players in this area and didn't deserve to go. You know exactly how to make this trip that you have no part of be just the way you want it, and you'll complain from the safety of your computer until it is....just because you feel slighted. (who's High & Mighty????)

And by the way, look up the drinking age in Europe....it isn't AGAINST THE LAW for them there, and that's where they were, not in Vestal. And I'm not sure how I'm part of the problem (or exactly what the problem you're referring to is), but who cares. That's how all us High & Mighty people feel...don't you agree?

Guest Soccer_fan
And by the way, look up the drinking age in Europe....it isn't AGAINST THE LAW for them there, and that's where they were, not in Vestal. And I'm not sure how I'm part of the problem (or exactly what the problem you're referring to is), but who cares. That's how all us High & Mighty people feel...don't you agree?

It actually is illegal for a non-custodial chaperone to allow a minor from the United States to consume alcohol abroad even if that person is of legal age in the other country. A kid can drink with the parents ok, but if the parent didn't want the kids drinking and the chaperones knowingly let the kids drink while on the trip, a parent could bring a lawsuit against the organizers for allowing it to happen. I'm not taking sides about anything else just pointing out that you are very wrong in what you said.

Guest Guest
Great come back

Maybe I am high and mighty. But Im not a puritan. A drink or two or three or even a six pack.....or a kiss or a make out is one thing. But what happened is far greater. They engaged in excesses night after night and NO ONE in authority stopped them even when they knew. I shouldnt care. They went to Europe, they played soccer, they got drunk stoned laid and everything you can imagine in between and then got patted on the back because they lived through it even if they dont remember it or puked all morning. Youre good with it and so are many others. Thats great. Its all wonderful. Would you feel the same way if someone got hurt killed raped pregnant hospitalized with alochol poisoning or drug overdose? Fine, Ill give you your due and say it was a right of passage trip.

Guest Been There
Maybe I am high and mighty. But Im not a puritan. A drink or two or three or even a six pack.....or a kiss or a make out is one thing. But what happened is far greater. They engaged in excesses night after night and NO ONE in authority stopped them even when they knew. I shouldnt care. They went to Europe, they played soccer, they got drunk stoned laid and everything you can imagine in between and then got patted on the back because they lived through it even if they dont remember it or puked all morning. Youre good with it and so are many others. Thats great. Its all wonderful. Would you feel the same way if someone got hurt killed raped pregnant hospitalized with alochol poisoning or drug overdose? Fine, Ill give you your due and say it was a right of passage trip.

IF what you say actually happened, then it is indefensible and not at all what I have been talking about. I stated that I have not talked to anyone from this year's trip, so I don't know what went on. I hope your information is not accurate, but by saying what you have you are making every kid who went on that trip sound guilty of this type behavior.

My biggest problem with these posts has been that they started blasting the trip before it ever happened, and several times belittled the children who were going, and that is plain wrong. I still have to wonder if anything would have been posted at all if certain players had been invited.

Guest Guest
IF what you say actually happened, then it is indefensible and not at all what I have been talking about. I stated that I have not talked to anyone from this year's trip, so I don't know what went on. I hope your information is not accurate, but by saying what you have you are making every kid who went on that trip sound guilty of this type behavior.

My biggest problem with these posts has been that they started blasting the trip before it ever happened, and several times belittled the children who were going, and that is plain wrong. I still have to wonder if anything would have been posted at all if certain players had been invited.

Again, what can you expect? Shane Cook was one of the chaperones? From what I heard, he was getting bombed with them.

Guest Guest
Again, what can you expect? Shane Cook was one of the chaperones? From what I heard, he was getting bombed with them.

I heard that too about Shane. To the other poster, you are correct if I did make it seem like it was all of the kids I apologize; thats not fair. Not all of them did. But lots of them did.

@

Guest Trip Parent
I heard that too about Shane. To the other poster, you are correct if I did make it seem like it was all of the kids I apologize; thats not fair. Not all of them did. But lots of them did.

@

Shame on you people! You have nothing to prove what you are saying about Shane. I was on the trip this year with my child. Shane had a beer with dinner and nothing more. Why do you feel the need to make stuff up. I am very sure NO ONE on the trip said he was bombed. This is just slanderous and mean. Why do you sit aound and make stuff up? You are such a small person.

If this guy does bad stuff that you know about and can prove that is one thing. So much of the stuff I read on hear is just made up and hear say.

Shame on you.

Archived